• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

the_julo

the_julo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300 Ascend (U8815)

I apologise in advance for my stupidity; I did not read things properly and now I think my phone is bricked. 

I was on a JB custom ROM (Electra) with 109808 baseband. 
There is a ROM, SlimBean, that I wanted to try, but it requires a 2030.

The update.app method was not working (update failed), so I was rapt to see these patches. 

I booted in my CWM6 and installed the Upgrade-B952.zip ZIP (thinking it would get me to the 2030 baseband) and rebooted the phone. 

Since then, my screen doesn't even turn on. All I get, with/without any combination of Vol+/-, when I press the power button is the three lights behind the menu/home/back buttons that blink a few times...

I'm boned right? I've made a brick, haven't I?

Or is someone on here able to bring my brick back from the dead? 

Thanks in advance.

JuLo

Dovahpig

Dovahpig

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Devices:Telenor Touch Plus
Have you done full wipes after flsshing upgrade zip?
Have you flashed another rom after upgrade?
If youre stuck then download official b952 from huawei, put it sd card and force flash it using volum up down and power button

the_julo

the_julo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Nope. That's where I went wrong. 
I flashed the Upgrade-B952.zip and that's it. (stupidly hoping it would change the baseband on my currently installed ROM)

The official b952 from huawei does not work. 
I tried holding Vol+ and vol- before turning it on, but the screen doesn't turn on... :-(

Dovahpig

Dovahpig

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
Try getting into cwm again and repeat the process

the_julo

the_julo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for trying, but as mentionned before the screen does not turn on, so no cwm possible.
I was hoping someone had some magical way of loading a recovery or bootloader without having the screen on (e.g. Boot from sd or something)

hippy dave

hippy dave

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Devices:G300, Hudl
Have you tried removing the battery for a while?

dalyer

dalyer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Thanks for trying, but as mentionned before the screen does not turn on, so no cwm possible.
I was hoping someone had some magical way of loading a recovery or bootloader without having the screen on (e.g. Boot from sd or something)

If debugging was already enabled in the developer options then maybe you could get ADB to talk to it and flash CWM or whatever in case that helps?

You can get ADB here:

http://www.modaco.co...guide-included/

and seach the forum and elsewhere for info about how to use it to flash a recovery image etc.

Hope this helps.

the_julo

the_julo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Yep. The battery was charged at 100% and I removed it for 30 mins+ (my walk home), to no avail.

I also tried ADB, but no love. I think the whole device (not just the screen) doesn't turn on...

I think I really did brick it...
LIke this guy: http://www.modaco.co...0-bricked-help/
But unlike this guy, I didn't keep my receipt and won't be able to use warranty... :-(
I didn't even think it was possible to get to that point,...

dalyer

dalyer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Sounds like a spontaneous hardware (e.g. maybe main board?) failure as reported by others a few times?

I doubt that it was firmware/software changes that caused this - or that they can cause such a failure (short of overclocking to burnout or something like that!?)?

the_julo

the_julo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

That's unfortunate! Well, thanks everyone for the suggestions...
Now I have to decide if I should buy another G300 or buy something else altogether... Undecided...

Just to be sure, what should have happened when I just flashed that ZIP without flashing a ROM afterwards, knowing that I already had a multi baseband ROM installed prior to that?

Edited by the_julo, 27 September 2013 - 01:15 AM.

dalyer

dalyer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Worst case the phone would not boot and you would have to flash your way out of the problem.

But if the hardware is actually dead then I am pretty sure that this was not the fault of an incorrect flash and it must be an unfortunate coincidence that the hardware failed now...

If you can't get it working again and are looking at a new phone there are better phones available now and I personally wouldn't buy another G300.

See the China Phone thread for example:

http://www.modaco.co...ssion-20032013/

Hope this helps.

Dovahpig

Dovahpig

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
^im moving on from g300 too. Ordered my new phone from china. ZTE V967S, for 131$ and free shipping you get a 5" inch quad core, 1gb ram, 2500mah battery.. and decent community support on xda

Edited by Dovahpig, 27 September 2013 - 09:04 AM.

dalyer

dalyer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts
I'm still waiting on my Haier W910. "Just" a dual core but I like the look of the Snapdragon SoC that it uses and there are some claims that it may match or come close to some quad core SoCs (due to its Krait CPUs and maybe GPU) and 28nm LP fabrication used should be good for clock speed and/or battery usage. I'll be passing my G300 onto my gf and in preparation I've installed and have been running superslim-v1 GB which is quite pleasant to use. I think it will suit her well as a replacement for the Vodafone Smart 3/Alcatel V975 that she got and then broke not too long ago... :-| But I certainly wouldn't go out looking for a new or second hand G300 at this point in time (unless it was for a very knock down price!) as there is much better value and spec available for the same sort of price.

Edited by dalyer, 28 September 2013 - 08:52 PM.

Z3NG3R

Z3NG3R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300

Does this zips really works? i´m afraid flashing aind brik my phone....i'm really afraid :s

is this secure? :s

dalyer

dalyer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

I've used it to successfully switch between ICS/JB and GB (ROMs and baseband).

I was on the 2030 baseband and Stock+ ICS and flashed the downgrade to go to the 19808 baseband and GB superslim.

I also went in the other direction.

And back again as I am now settled on GB superslim.

I had no problems other than a transient one where I had no carrier network coverage but reboots or reflashes eliminated that.

phyllocrania

phyllocrania

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300

Can I use the latest 4.3.1 CM 10.2 on 109808 baseband? I am on 2030 baseband running CM10.2. But this baseband is not getting well along with my mobile network provider it seems. :(

dalyer

dalyer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts
You should really ask that in the CM thread.
But this post suggests that it should work:

http://www.modaco.co...e/#entry2155235

Why not just try it?

the_julo

the_julo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Sounds like a spontaneous hardware (e.g. maybe main board?) failure as reported by others a few times?

I doubt that it was firmware/software changes that caused this - or that they can cause such a failure (short of overclocking to burnout or something like that!?)?

I can now unfortunately confirm that the it was not a coincidence. I sent my phone to get repaired, waited a month, got a new one on warranty.

And today, I decided I'd try this again, with the same results.

This time I followed instructions to the letter.

1/Wiped

2/Installed Upgrade to B952

3/Installed SlimBean Rom

4/Installed SlimBean gapps (aroma)

5/Rebooted

The whole phone is dead again.

The phone lights behing the buttons blink a few times, than disapear for ever.

No activity on the screen or on USB port (that Windows detect anyway).

I don't know if it's a combination of SlimBean and this trick (Or the fact that I wiped before installing it, but I thought that would be better) that causes my issue, but I definitely found a sure fire way of bricking the G300... :-(

dalyer

dalyer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Did you check what eMMC you had each time? Maybe it's the Hynix bricking problem - twice? Did you ever install CM10.2 with the 3.4 kernel?

http://www.modaco.co...memory-problem/

Edited by dalyer, 29 October 2013 - 11:05 AM.

the_julo

the_julo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Thanks dalyer, but I don't think that's is and I think I finally understood what my problem is. (although I am easily confused by all the terminology, so I might be wrong)

My phone was purchased in Australia and I never noticed that it comes with an unusual build number: B801. (Full build number: U8815-71V100R001C346B801)

There is no upgrade available from that build as far as I know.

Even the official Huawei update downloaded from their site only works on B934,B937, B939, B944, B946, B948, B951, B952. (according the the included PDF)

So the update.app method fails (even with the middle update), as does this method.

Did I get that right? Is that a possibility?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users