Browsers

Guest TangerineTractor

Guest TangerineTractor

I know it's all very subjective and down to personal preference, but I wanted to discuss the best browsers.

I have a select few sites that I mainly use, and I keep going back to Opera Mobile. I know the interface feels a bit dated compared with the likes of Dolphin and Maxthon, but whenever I try them again, and I've just tried the latest versions of Dolphon, Maxthon, Boat, Chrome and Firefox today, none of them are a patch on Opera Mobile.

I've actually started doing a little pre-set routine...

I put "modaco g300" in the browers search/url box, and see how quick it brings up the results. Then I click on the first link, and see how long it takes to get to the forum page, and then click on a thread and see how quickly it opens.

In every case, Opera Mobile is MUCH faster for me. I know its also subjective, and I'm sure it can't be just my phone, and I like the features of other browsers, but for sheer speed of browsing, I can;t find anything better. Added to this is the fact that only Opera seems to properly text reflow on every site (others do some sites but not all). I just looked at the new opera beta - the interface is nice, but it's not as fast as the current Opera Mobile either.

Edited by TangerineTractor

Guest TangerineTractor

Hmmm... Just tried lightning, it's fast, but no faster than Opera, and a bit restricted - if you switch to another app and back, it's lost its page, so not really much use tbh.

And the standard ICS stock browser is so much slower for me on the sites I use, and even on a google search.

Anyone else want to try installing a few different browsers, running the same google search on each, then opening the first link on each, see which is faster?

Hmmm... Just tried lightning, it's fast, but no faster than Opera, and a bit restricted - if you switch to another app and back, it's lost its page, so not really much use tbh.

And the standard ICS stock browser is so much slower for me on the sites I use, and even on a google search.

Anyone else want to try installing a few different browsers, running the same google search on each, then opening the first link on each, see which is faster?

i will try opera mobile and see how it compares, thanks

i tried almost every browser out there and i keep going back to opera mobile. best browser for this phone imo.

Whats the difference between mobile and mini?

Guest TangerineTractor

Mobile is optimised for Android. Mini was originally a java-based browser, fast and good over 2G, but less features than Mobile, and actually not as fast over 3g or wifi.

Mobile is optimised for Android. Mini was originally a java-based browser, fast and good over 2G, but less features than Mobile, and actually not as fast over 3g or wifi.

thanks for your clarification.

Guest irishpancake

AFAIK, mini compresses all web data on it's own servers, before it downloads to your device.

It makes for speed, but sometimes blocky kinda graphics....but your data download allowance will be impacted less, which could be important for some!!!

Myself, I have been using Boat Mini consistantly, and find it minimalistic, fast........and it supports Adobe Flash.....not sure about HTML5.

I will give the new Opera a try again, for comparison.

Guest TangerineTractor

I will give the new Opera a try again, for comparison.

Don't bother trying the new Opera Beta - it's not good enough yet. Try Opera Mobile (play link)

Guest irishpancake

Not sure, could be right, but here is a comparison......http://onsoftware.en.softonic.com/which-opera-browser-for-android-to-install

What's the difference between Opera Mobile and Opera Mini?

OK, we can kill one thing right away - Opera Mini and Opera Mobile are identical apart from one thing - Opera Mini compresses all web content to make browsing faster and to save on your data plan, and Opera Mobile doesn't. Though, to confuse things more, Opera Mobile does include a data-saving feature you can turn on called 'Opera Turbo', but it uses a different kind of compression technology than what powers Opera Mini.

In all other respects Opera Mini and Opera Mobile are the same. The user interface is identical and all of the features in Opera Mobile (barring Turbo) are available in Opera Mini.

Guest irishpancake

Don't bother trying the new Opera Beta - it's not good enough yet. Try Opera Mobile (play link)

Thanx, I'll do that....you try Boat Mini??

ya have to, and I/we try Opera [again.....] :)

Edited by irishpancake

Guest TangerineTractor

Mobile and Mini aren't the same. Mobile has a turbo option, so that part of the quote is wrong for starters. Mobile has different levels of zoom. Mobile has flash support.

Guest irishpancake

Hi TT....just tried Opera Mobile, and man, it is fast, and renders really well, from initial look, perfectly. And, as you say, there is Flash support...

so, maybe I will try it for longer, or Mrs. P will....and we will see!!!!

BTW, for anyone interested in the Lightening Browser, mentioned earlier, still under dev....

AnthonyCR [the Dev] has provided the latest paid-for version [2.0.4] for free, here: http://www.vmroms.com/index.php?topic=641.0

Guest irishpancake

Just tried Boat Mini. It's fast, and the interface is nice. But it doesn't text wrap like Opera (have a look at http://fansonline.ne...lishcricket/mb/ - go into a thead, zoom in. Opera word wraps, others dont)

Just tried that site....and confirmed....Opera wraps and renders perfectly....

Boat and Stock or Lightning+ browsers do not, for that site......so all good there.

What gives here?? HTML coding?? Or is Opera just the best!!!

Edited by irishpancake

Guest jgbyr

Just tried that site....and confirmed....Opera wraps and renders perfectly....

Boat and Stock or Lightning+ browsers do not, for that site......so all good there.

What gives here?? HTML coding?? Or is Opera just the best!!!

I tried Opera mobile but can't really view sites properly. Look at boards.ie. The font is tiny.

Edited by jgbyr

Guest fr0do

Hate opera. Try it and dump it pretty quick. Find it bloated and slow. Chrome beta is bearable. Boat hadn't been bad. Always go back to stock browser. Do you clear operas cache before you do the speed tests?

Guest Timbones

I've recently switched to Dolphin because the stock browser kept crashing on me. I find it more stable, and may re slightly quicker too (subjectively)

Downloaded Opera Mobile to see how that goes...

Edited by Timbones

Guest TangerineTractor

Hate opera. Try it and dump it pretty quick. Find it bloated and slow. Chrome beta is bearable. Boat hadn't been bad. Always go back to stock browser. Do you clear operas cache before you do the speed tests?

I'm loading and reloading pages, text based, like this one, so caching isn't an issue. the speed of something like a Google search is a good measure of general performance.

Guest irishpancake

You find Opera bloated.?...and slow?

Really can't concur, it seems the least bloated and the fastest, depending on your version and choice. To me, anyway!!!

It reminds me a bit of the good old Browser War days on PC's.........

There was Netscape, then there was IE, and then Mozilla[Firefox]....all basically Free.......

Then along came these upstarts from Scandinavia with this Opera thing.....and they expected the end-user to PAY for this thing.....unheard of back in the day!!!

it didn't look right....you needed to do so much configuration....but it lasted....and it is still there.

Guest TangerineTractor

I tried Opera mobile but can't really view sites properly. Look at boards.ie. The font is tiny.

that's in overview. you have to double tap to zoom in, or pinch zoom. you can set the default zoom on double click in preferences.