85 replies to this topic

fr0do

fr0do

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300
Hate opera. Try it and dump it pretty quick. Find it bloated and slow. Chrome beta is bearable. Boat hadn't been bad. Always go back to stock browser. Do you clear operas cache before you do the speed tests?

Posted Image

Timbones

Timbones

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Twitter:@timbones
I've recently switched to Dolphin because the stock browser kept crashing on me. I find it more stable, and may re slightly quicker too (subjectively)

Downloaded Opera Mobile to see how that goes...

Edited by Timbones, 14 March 2013 - 08:15 PM.

TangerineTractor

TangerineTractor

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Hate opera. Try it and dump it pretty quick. Find it bloated and slow. Chrome beta is bearable. Boat hadn't been bad. Always go back to stock browser. Do you clear operas cache before you do the speed tests?

I'm loading and reloading pages, text based, like this one, so caching isn't an issue. the speed of something like a Google search is a good measure of general performance.

Edited by TangerineTractor, 14 March 2013 - 09:18 PM.

I'm saving up for a sofa so I can sit in the other room and tweak my phone without my wife nagging... thanks!

irishpancake

irishpancake

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy SIII GT-I9300

You find Opera bloated.?...and slow?

Really can't concur, it seems the least bloated and the fastest, depending on your version and choice. To me, anyway!!!

It reminds me a bit of the good old Browser War days on PC's.........

There was Netscape, then there was IE, and then Mozilla[Firefox]....all basically Free.......

Then along came these upstarts from Scandinavia with this Opera thing.....and they expected the end-user to PAY for this thing.....unheard of back in the day!!!

it didn't look right....you needed to do so much configuration....but it lasted....and it is still there.

Now got Galaxy S III I9300 ...and Momo11 Bird Tablet running Christian Troy CM9....the wife has an Ascend g300 running?? Stock+ R6 from Cyda!!

Get Dropbox....Please click and get 2GB free plus 250Mb for referral...Dropbox is useful

TangerineTractor

TangerineTractor

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

I tried Opera mobile but can't really view sites properly. Look at boards.ie. The font is tiny.

that's in overview. you have to double tap to zoom in, or pinch zoom. you can set the default zoom on double click in preferences.

I'm saving up for a sofa so I can sit in the other room and tweak my phone without my wife nagging... thanks!

jgbyr

jgbyr

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300

that's in overview. you have to double tap to zoom in, or pinch zoom. you can set the default zoom on double click in preferences.

That's a nuisance imo. At least with opera mini, sites are sized correctly.

irishpancake

irishpancake

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy SIII GT-I9300
But you just need to set it up OK.....

Are you using the correct User Agent for Mobile, single-column enabled [?], zoom set to 150% [this was set by default??] etc.

Also, Boards should default to touch.boards.ie on your mobile, it is mobile friendly display-wise....

Just don't have Desktop User Agent enabled, or you will get the full site as per your PC!!!

Just two pics to illustrate: [ Screen Cap [png] by Power + Vol Down...momentarily.....great!!!]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by irishpancake, 14 March 2013 - 09:55 PM.

Now got Galaxy S III I9300 ...and Momo11 Bird Tablet running Christian Troy CM9....the wife has an Ascend g300 running?? Stock+ R6 from Cyda!!

Get Dropbox....Please click and get 2GB free plus 250Mb for referral...Dropbox is useful

TangerineTractor

TangerineTractor

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
I have zoom on 175. mobile friendly sites appear normally, desktop sites start in overview and you double click to zoom on. I don't have turbo turned on at all, never need it.

Edited by TangerineTractor, 14 March 2013 - 10:04 PM.

jgbyr

jgbyr

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thanks irishpancake & TangerineTractor for your assistance. Set it up as suggested. Yes mobile friendly sites are ok but I don't like the way desktop sites view, having to zoom in. This doesn't happen with opera mobile so I think I'll stick with that.

TangerineTractor

TangerineTractor

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Thanks irishpancake & TangerineTractor for your assistance. Set it up as suggested. Yes mobile friendly sites are ok but I don't like the way desktop sites view, having to zoom in. This doesn't happen with opera mobile so I think I'll stick with that.

I thought we were talking about opera mobile?

jgbyr

jgbyr

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Sorry, I meant to say it doesn't happen with opera mini.

dakok

dakok

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts
  • Devices:Coolpad F1 8297w
Miui stock browser was nice too.
Zooming pages and fast loading.
Later it changed name and became
loaded with bloatware.
I tried to use it with few roms, but it
cant load properly.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

logo-telekineza.png 

Coolpad F1 software and stuff 
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Milky Joe

Milky Joe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Devices:G300, R800i
I prefer the stock browser. Has anybody tried Opera Beta? I suppose I could but the stock one seems to be the quickest and most compatable.

fr0do

fr0do

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
Yeah I've always hated opera. On every platform. Pile of crap on my opinion. Yeah I've tried both mobile versions. Well, all 3 including the beta. Lots of times. Kept it there a while once but still didn't use it much as others are just better. Zooming on others is better for me.

Was with dolphin for ages too. But that I find bloated as well. Boat bugged out on me. I always end up going back to stock.

Edited by fr0do, 15 March 2013 - 04:31 AM.

Posted Image

TangerineTractor

TangerineTractor

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
I usually respect your input, but in this case I cannot see how you can say opera is slow - in every test I've done it it's as fast or faster than other browsers, our bloated - it had none of the features, gestures etc of other apps. I suppose zooming is a question of taste, but it's certainly not an issue for me, and opera is definitely the fastest and most useable browser for me. I'd be interested to know what website you are visiting that are better accessed using the stock browser?

twrock

twrock

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts
  • Devices:Jiayu G2S & Huawei G300
Well, for what it's worth... Opera Mobile renders my agency's website correctly in overview mode. Stock browser does not.
Opening the page in overview mode is a matter of taste, but I find it helpful, so I prefer it.
Thanks for the tips.

sonicprogress

sonicprogress

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Devices:G300
naked browser is the best I've found.

fr0do

fr0do

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
Dolphin: 4.82mb
Opera mobile: 8.49mb

If opera is less bloated than the bloated Dolphin it must be very badly written.

Trying Opera again now.

I rarely search from a browser, I follow links.

Opera loads it's own shite home page before opening yours

Opera opens its splash image before that

Opera opens in overview mode so you always have to zoom. Stock opens at the right size

This is not fast browsing

I hate all of operas naff design. I think the designers must love android 2.x

Edited by fr0do, 15 March 2013 - 08:54 AM.

Posted Image

ptoner

ptoner

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
Agree Opera is an awful looking browser. Bloated with crap. Hence why I prefer a tiny browser ie Lighning that has zero crap. Save your passwords, open your bookmarks and no shite. Also its only about 250kb in size. Don't care if its 2millisecs quicker than something else. Opera is hateful I agree fr0do.

Edited by ptoner, 15 March 2013 - 09:07 AM.

ptoner

ptoner

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
As per the above, has anyone tried "Naked Browser"?

https://play.google....ev.nakedbrowser

Says its not compatible with any of my devices....?

So trying Mini Browser Beta instead.
https://play.google....m1ibWJldGEiXQ..

Edited by ptoner, 15 March 2013 - 09:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users