TangerineTractor

TangerineTractor

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Dolphin: 4.82mb
Opera mobile: 8.49mb

If opera is less bloated than the bloated Dolphin it must be very badly written.

Trying Opera again now.

I rarely search from a browser, I follow links.

Opera loads it's own shite home page before opening yours

Opera opens its splash image before that

Opera opens in overview mode so you always have to zoom. Stock opens at the right size

This is not fast browsing

I hate all of operas naff design. I think the designers must love android 2.x

Have to say the size of the app is of very little relevance to me - it's how it works that matters.On load, it opens a speed buttons page. I find this useful to be honest. But it certainly takes no longer than opening a home page which might not be the one I want to use!

I don't "get" the issue with overview mode. If it's a mobile-optimised site, it displays fully. If it's a desktop site, it opens in overview. That's surely the most useful way on a small screen, a quick double tap any you're at the area you want. Stock doesn't open in a "useable" way for me on desktop sites, I have to pan around to find what I want.

I can understand the dislike of the button interface, but I'm voting for functionality over form. I'm not talking "2millisecs" here either - Opera realistically loads pages significantly (several seconds in some cases) faster than other browsers. I honestly don't think I would use my phone for browsing anywhere near as much as I do if I had to use one of the other browsers.
I really hope they don't mess up the new Opera Beta, because it's performance is awful - or at least kepe the current version of Mobile available rather than force an upgrade.

I guess it's all down to opinions.

I'm saving up for a sofa so I can sit in the other room and tweak my phone without my wife nagging... thanks!

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300, Vowney V5.
  • Twitter:@Rico_89_
Most of the time I use Dolphin, it's fast, lag free and the tabs work exactly like the PC version of FireFox, Chrome etc.

Opera Mini, when on 3G because it's really fast and uses far less data than the other browsers.

Chrome, when controlling the Youtube app on my PS3, it works better for that and gives you some convenient buttons for the tracks you're playing.

fr0do

fr0do

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300

I guess it's all down to opinions.

Absolutely

I fall out with them all from time to time. Good to have a choice/ alternatives.

Posted Image

Dazzozo

Dazzozo

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,319 posts
  • Devices:Crescent, G300, Y300, Nexus 5
  • Twitter:@Dazzozo
I just use Chrome, works great but I guess my opinion is tainted by Nexus 4 :P

Like my work? Give me rep!

Like my work a lot? Donate! Remember to leave your forum name if you want to be credited!

Nickyteen

Nickyteen

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Y300 Nokia Lumia 925
I use with Symbian and Android Opera Web Browser. Even Boat Browser Mini is good for me. ;)

bladebuddy

bladebuddy

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:All things outdoors , family and phone
  • Devices:zte blade + Huawei Ascend G300
U.C best for dodgy content downloads.

Opera mini best on 2g.

Maxathon cos I like it.

Stock as little as possible.

Biohazard

irishpancake

irishpancake

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy SIII GT-I9300

Agree Opera is an awful looking browser. Bloated with crap. Hence why I prefer a tiny browser ie Lighning that has zero crap. Save your passwords, open your bookmarks and no shite. Also its only about 250kb in size. Don't care if its 2millisecs quicker than something else. Opera is hateful I agree fr0do.

I put up a link earlier for a free d/l of Lightening+... the paid version!!!!

This is a devs link from his forum.

http://www.vmroms.co...php?topic=641.0

not warez in any way!!!

Edited by irishpancake, 15 March 2013 - 02:48 PM.

Now got Galaxy S III I9300 ...and Momo11 Bird Tablet running Christian Troy CM9....the wife has an Ascend g300 running?? Stock+ R6 from Cyda!!

Get Dropbox....Please click and get 2GB free plus 250Mb for referral...Dropbox is useful

irishpancake

irishpancake

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
TT you're not Scandinavian by any chance?? :P

Good move to start the thread and have a luv-in with Opera.... :wub:

only joking BTW!!

Opera Mobile is very very good... IMO

Now got Galaxy S III I9300 ...and Momo11 Bird Tablet running Christian Troy CM9....the wife has an Ascend g300 running?? Stock+ R6 from Cyda!!

Get Dropbox....Please click and get 2GB free plus 250Mb for referral...Dropbox is useful

TangerineTractor

TangerineTractor

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

TT you're not Scandinavian by any chance?? :P

Good move to start the thread and have a luv-in with Opera.... :wub:

only joking BTW!!

Opera Mobile is very very good... IMO

I just cant find anything better, or in fact as good as an overall package. And in the last 24 hours I have tried ALL the other browsers suggested on this thread and more. Seriously. It does p*ss me off when people make sweeping comments about one product over another without properly evaluating them all though, and it does a discredit to others by not trying to understand their reasoning and justifications. I will always be among the first to try any new software or versions of other apps, roms, etc, and will readily switch if they're better. The beauty of Android is that there's such a range of variations of each type of app - launchers, browsers, twitter clients, email, that no one set of apps is going to be ideal for everyone... and that is the joy of this forum - people can share their experiences and opinions, and you can evolve your personal app pool to get an increasingly better mobile experience.

I'm saving up for a sofa so I can sit in the other room and tweak my phone without my wife nagging... thanks!

Timbones

Timbones

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Twitter:@timbones
I've been trying Opera Mobile for a few hours - seems okay. Only really use it for reading the odd link. Will stick with it for a while to see how I get on...

Thanks TT.

Cyda

Cyda

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4 & 7 running PAC
I tend to use Boat browser more than any other these days, both on my G300 and my Nex7.

https://play.google....oatbrowser.free

fr0do

fr0do

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
Opera is taking up 22.37Mb now! No wonder you're always having performance problems TT!!!

:D

Posted Image

irishpancake

irishpancake

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Yeah I mostly use Boat Mini.....

It's rapid and good enuff for most purposes!! [I never use that fanz site TT is fond of :lol:]

It renders well and looks good, very underestimated IMO, supports flash....regular updates, it is supposed to text wrap if you choose it!!

So...... maybe Opera Mobile is good, but it is just a personal preference!!

bladebuddy

bladebuddy

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:All things outdoors , family and phone
  • Devices:zte blade + Huawei Ascend G300
Is there a browser that supports downloads from (solidfiles) as I use to be able to download using chrome if I selected desk top , now it doesn't seem to work. So if anyone knows another way to do this on you're phone please share.Cheers J

Biohazard

TangerineTractor

TangerineTractor

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Is there a browser that supports downloads from (solidfiles) as I use to be able to download using chrome if I selected desk top , now it doesn't seem to work. So if anyone knows another way to do this on you're phone please share.Cheers J

Guess what...

ptoner

ptoner

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

I put up a link earlier for a free d/l of Lightening+... the paid version!!!!

This is a devs link from his forum.

http://www.vmroms.co...php?topic=641.0

not warez in any way!!!

Excellent, thanks IrishPancake. Downloading and will start using it.

Opera is taking up 22.37Mb now! No wonder you're always having performance problems TT!!!

:D

Hence why I opted to get rid of the huge data hungry browsers and use streamlined versions instead. Crazy amount of storage space taken up by them!

sedj

sedj

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
Absolute crap, Opera Mobile is without doubt the lightest and fastest in operation than any other browser and has been for ages.

It wraps text properly, it has speed dial which is great you can get to your favourites quickly. Works great with Adaway which google have decided to pul from the play store as well as adblock.

Its been good from the beginning and still is just tried all mentioned here and lightning is the most amaturist of them all. Chrome and Firefox are mega bloated followed by Dolphin, the others are just meh. Opera beta has potential to be the next best browser.

Edited by sedj, 15 March 2013 - 10:11 PM.

TangerineTractor

TangerineTractor

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
Anybody tried uc browser? i just installed it and it seems very fast, and all the text flow etc is good.

ptoner

ptoner

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
Do you have a link TT?
Its ok, just getting it. Did you use the mini version or opt for android full one?

Edited by ptoner, 15 March 2013 - 10:30 PM.

TangerineTractor

TangerineTractor

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Do you have a link TT?
Its ok, just getting it.

Full version, not mini.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users