HTC One: De-sensing

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

So your HTC one has arrived but you're not a big fan of some of the Sense elements. What can you change / remove to get the stock Android feel without rooting / unlocking etc? We'll find out.

First things first - what you definitely can't change. You won't be able to change the core 'SystemUI' component - that is what gives you the notification bar at the top, the design of the dialogues and pop up windows etc... those you're going to be stuck with. The same applies to the settings menu icons etc. But don't despair... there are a few bits you can change / remove. :)

Browser

Not a fan of the HTC browser? Like Chrome but like the stock browser for it's Flash compatability perhaps? Help is at hand.

You can install the stock Android browser using this Browser APK. Easy - you'll now have a 'Browser' icon! When you've done that, you can go into 'Settings -> Apps' and disable the HTC version (called 'Internet').

Calculator

To use the stock Android calculator, first you need to uninstall the HTC version in the usual way, from the apps menu. Then simply download and install this Calculator APK and you're set!

Calendar

This one is really easy - you can install the stock Android Calendar app from the Play Store. You can then disable the HTC version in 'Settings -> Apps'.

Desk Clock

To install the stock Android clock, install this Clock APK. You can then disable the HTC clock in the 'Settings -> Apps' menu.

Email

If you'd like to restore the stock Android e-mail client, you can do that too! Simple install this Email app APK and this Exchange connector APK and you're set - your 'Email' icon will appear. Unfortunately you can't disable the included 'Mail' app, so you might want to hide that in your launcher of choice.

Gallery

The stock Android Gallery normally includes the stock Android camera app, which of course doesn't work properly on the One - so we've tweaked it. Just install this Gallery APK and the icon will appear. Note that you can't disable the included gallery and even if you could, doing so would disable the camera too, not ideal. So use your launcher to hide the HTC gallery icon if you wish.

Keyboard

If you're pining for the stock Android keyboard it's a simple install - just 2 APKs. Install the keyboard APK itself and the dictionary pack APK before enabling from the 'Settings -> Language & keyboard' menu. You can then disable Sense Input from the 'Settings -> Apps' menu.

Launcher

To use the stock Android launcher, install this Launcher APK and press the home button to select. Note that you although you can't disable the Sense Launcher from the settings menu, by setting the launcher you've just installed as default the HTC version is completely unloaded.

Movie Editor

The stock Android Movie Editor isn't included with the One - but you can have it. Just install this Video Editor APK and you're set!

Other Sense items you can uninstall / disable

You can't uninstall / disable EVERYTHING, but to further de-Sense your device, you can do the following (with care!)...

• Disable '7digital'
  • Disable the 'Airplane Mode Widget' (if you are not using the Sense launcher)
  • Disable the 'Auto Rotate Widget' (if you are not using the Sense launcher)
  • Disable 'Best Deals'
  • Disable the 'Bluetooth Widget' (if you are not using the Sense launcher)
  • Disable the 'Calculator Widget' (if you are not using the Sense launcher)
  • Disable the 'Calendar Widget' (if you are not using the Sense launcher)
  • Disable Dropbox for HTC Sense
  • Uninstall Flashlight
  • Disable the 'FM Radio Widget' (if you are not using the Sense launcher)
  • Disable the 'HTC news Plugin' (if you are not using BlinkFeed)
  • Disable 'HTC Sync'
  • Disable 'Infra Red Remote' (also disable the TV application if you do this)
  • Disable 'Kid Mode'
  • Disable 'LinkedIn for HTC Sense'
  • Disable the 'Mobile Data Widget' (if you are not using the Sense launcher)
  • Disable 'PC Synchronisation'
  • Disable the 'People Widget' (if you are not using the Sense launcher)
  • Disable the 'Photo Lock Screen'
  • Disable 'Polaris Office'
  • Disable the 'Profile Widget' (if you are not using the Sense launcher)
  • Disable the 'Auto Rotate Widget' (if you are not using the Sense launcher)
  • Disable the 'Rescue' remote support applications
  • Uninstall 'Ringtone Trimmer'
  • Disable the 'Ringtone Widget' (if you are not using the Sense launcher)
  • Disable the 'Slide Show Live Wallpaper'
  • Disable 'TV' (the remote control application)
  • Disable 'Twitter for HTC Sense'
  • Uninstall 'Voice Recorder'
  • Disable 'Watch'
  • Disable the 'Weather Clock Widget' (if you are not using the Sense launcher)
  • Disable the 'Weather Live Wallpaper'
  • Disable the 'WiFi Widget' (if you are not using the Sense launcher)

Got root?

If you have root you can do even more of course, using Titanium Backup or similar to disable whatever you like. The most interesting one is 'HTC Lock Screen' - if you disable this, you'll be back to the Android stock lock screen after a reboot.

Click here to view the item

• 1 month later...
Guest vipermo

Paul O'brien thank you so much for the Gallery app been looking for something to show all my Picasa albums. That did it you are the man.

Guest masterpfa

Thanks for this Paul

Just got the HTC One so still setting up, I will have a play around to see what I will deSense and what to add.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest mcox1124

I'm rooted and disabled the HTC Lock Screen. I have 4.2.2 through the Android Revolution HD 10.1 ROM (Sense based), but it appears 4.2.2 doesn't support lock screen widgets and doesn't allow you to update your shortcuts. I was hoping to get Dashclock Widget working, but no luck.

Guest rradi

Hi all, I installed the stock Email client and connector apks as PaulOBrien mentioned, and it worked well. The only problem is that it doesn't seem to integrate well with the rest of the system. For example, the stock Email client doesn't show up in the list of apps that can be used for sharing. See attached screenshot. Is there a way to fix that? Thanks very much in advance!post-925344-0-85939800-1370845932_thumb.

• 1 month later...
Guest FilyPhanatic

I have a rooted and s-off one RUNNING SWITCH, and for some reason I cannot install the stock email apk. Has anyone else had this problem?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

i have got a question about the browser in GE, i'd like to use the stock browser from the sense rom instead of chrome.

Is there any way of getting this to work, or any other way to get the flash player back?

SOLVED

Edited by TiZiO61