Xolo or Orange Rom for better battery life

Guest Cozworth806

Guest Cozworth806

The main reason I want to root or update or whatever my San diego is to improve the battery life, which frankly is pants, barely lasting a day of modeate use, and in some cases not even that if I actually use it.

So I am on the patched ICS Orange rom. I will need to update my Rom to root, or swap to Xolo.

What are the best options to try and get the most out of the battery, where in comparison my wife has just got a Galaxy S2 which lasted a day and a half of fairly heavy use.

What apps to dump or disable, what Rom to use etc

Thank you

Guest topcat07
The main reason I want to root or update or whatever my San diego is to improve the battery life, which frankly is pants, barely lasting a day of modeate use, and in some cases not even that if I actually use it.

So I am on the patched ICS Orange rom. I will need to update my Rom to root, or swap to Xolo.

What are the best options to try and get the most out of the battery, where in comparison my wife has just got a Galaxy S2 which lasted a day and a half of fairly heavy use.

What apps to dump or disable, what Rom to use etc

Thank you

what is this phone like compared to the s2 as I may have to cut my losses and swap soon.. Is the s2 better or worse at anything

Guest topcat07

Remove social gallery that's is a battery drainer, make sure Facebook is not syncing, make sure all other syncing is manual check in settings accounts and sync

Guest markhuges

Are you using a app called Battery Juice Defender ? That helps alot!

Delete and get rid of any unnecessary apps > and definatly remove social galary

Guest Cozworth806

what is this phone like compared to the s2 as I may have to cut my losses and swap soon.. Is the s2 better or worse at anything

The S2 is a nice looking phone, about the same physical size but I wouldnt pay the £20+pm for it, compared to me getting the OSD for £100 with a £5pm sim only

Guest i am not a hacker

Are you using a app called Battery Juice Defender ? That helps alot!

Delete and get rid of any unnecessary apps > and definatly remove social galary

The S2 has very similar specs to the OSD. I would prefer it tbh. The San Diego does perform better but the S2 has a little more storage available for use on the 16GB version. I think it is around 12GB instead of 10.7GB on the OSD. The S2 also has official Jelly Bean and has an unlocked bootloader. And the fact that it is one of the most popular phones in the World, there will be far more modding and development for the S2 than the OSD. We won't even get a custom ROM on the OSD by the looks of it.

Otherwise, the cameras are fairly equal, but I would say the S2 is slightly better (both 8MP though)

Both have 1GB RAM

Front facing cameras are the same.

The screen on the OSD is 4 inches with a resolution of 600x1024 (LCD) whereas the S2 has a larger 4.3 inch screen of resolution 480x800 (Super AMOLED PLUS). Because of the screen type, I would say that the S2 has a better screen - the colours are far better when put side by side. Also, it is a far more popular screen resolution so more apps will support it. 600x1024 is only really found on tablets.

So overall, the S2 is better in my opinion, but for value, the OSD is better.

Guest topcat07
The S2 has very similar specs to the OSD. I would prefer it tbh. The San Diego does perform better but the S2 has a little more storage available for use on the 16GB version. I think it is around 12GB instead of 10.7GB on the OSD. The S2 also has official Jelly Bean and has an unlocked bootloader. And the fact that it is one of the most popular phones in the World, there will be far more modding and development for the S2 than the OSD. We won't even get a custom ROM on the OSD by the looks of it.

Otherwise, the cameras are fairly equal, but I would say the S2 is slightly better (both 8MP though)

Both have 1GB RAM

The screen on the OSD is 4 inches with a resolution of 600x1024 (LCD) whereas the S2 has a larger 4.3 inch screen of resolution 480x800 (Super AMOLED PLUS). Because of the screen type, I would say that the S2 has a better screen - the colours are far better when put side by side. Also, it is a far more popular screen resolution so more apps will support it. 600x1024 is only really found on tablets.

Brilliant info thanks!

Guest BlueMoonRising

As regards the battery life :-

Basically, first and foremost delete Social Gallery. Don't leave your WiFi/Bluetooth/NFC on all the time unless you really do need them. I'm in a poor reception area and leave it on 2G only unless I'm out and about and need data download. It saves it struggling to get a signal which should help battery life some.

Guest intheblue

Both have 1GB RAM

Having owned a Galaxy S2 for 8 months and an Orange San Diego for 3 months, my personal views would differ on this somewhat.

The San Diego and Galaxy S2 seem to get compared quite a bit. They obviously have a similar form factor, look fairly similar and use the same baseband chip. In terms of performance, they are quite similar but for my usage cases, the web and apps that use web data I would say the San Diego might be a little quicker. For gaming etc. the S2 is probably a bit quicker.

The high-res IPS screen on the San Diego is IMHO far better than the relevantly low resolution superAMOLED+ on the Galaxy S2. Although the superAMOLED+ appears to have better colours and darker blacks when I used the phone over time I was annoyed by how oversaturated the display was, how white backgrounds had a green tint and how low resolution it was, particularly when viewing text. When viewed in a shop it looks impressive but it isn’t so for my usage sinerieos. The SD's IPS screen isn’t quite as good as the HTC One X’s but it’s not that far off, I really like it even if it's a little small by today’s standards. I have a mate who loves his Galaxy S2 screen, so it could be personal preference but I doubt most people have used the technologies for a period of time.

In terms of camera, I agree that there is not much in it but the Galaxy S2 might edge it on consistency results. I think the San Diego camera is let down by the software optimisation. The memory size is a bit of a non-issue as both phones only differ by a small amount both have a MicroSD card (San Diego needs a hack to use it).

If you want to run a custom ROMs or want any serious development there is only one choice but you’ll pay nearly double the price for it…

Guest Cozworth806

Anyway I went to Xolo (Oct 12) and rooted and stripped the OS of the crudware, installed juice defender.

Instead of the battery decreasing when I am not using it, I can be safe in the knowledge that it will now last till the end of the day.

Still not the best ever (and as good as the S2) but its ok for my day to day usage for most things.

One thing I have noticed though is the back of the OSD gets noticeably hotter under XOLO than under the newer Orange ICS OS. That may just be me though

Thanks for the help

Guest karthiknr

Anyway I went to Xolo (Oct 12) and rooted and stripped the OS of the crudware, installed juice defender.

Instead of the battery decreasing when I am not using it, I can be safe in the knowledge that it will now last till the end of the day.

Still not the best ever (and as good as the S2) but its ok for my day to day usage for most things.

One thing I have noticed though is the back of the OSD gets noticeably hotter under XOLO than under the newer Orange ICS OS. That may just be me though

Thanks for the help

Yeah, i too felt that the phone gets hotter under the XOLO ROM. Can it be bacause the processor is running at its maximum frequency? If yes,will underclocking it to maybe 1.4Ghz help? Also,is it possible,because i heard SetCPU doesn't work?

Guest BlueMoonRising

I don't know about SetCPU but CPU Control within Rom Toolbox certainly works. Unless you're into heavy gaming it doesn't spend that much time at 1.6GHz anyway and I don't believe there is a whit of difference between the Xolo and Orange roms in terms of heat generated.

Guest Simon O

Xolo ICS. Rooted, my debrand pack installed & W32T GPU libs applied. This, in my opinion, will give the best performance and battery life on the San Diego. For now at least.

• 2 weeks later...