Photo

All those with cracked casings, please post photos and explain further.

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego, OSF

Nope, haven't even tried. Why would I need to?

No reason, it's just that you spoilt my growing conviction that it was only people who have opened it up that have had problems.

Considering that most have opened it up who have had problems I would suggest that anybody else who is going to should do so very carefully.
Perhaps if you lay a thin cloth on a hard surface and work around from the SIM slot while trying to keep it flat to the surface will reduce any flexing of the bezel and trim.

Edit:- lay it face down obviously

Edited by BlueMoonRising, 26 March 2013 - 05:13 PM.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Matthew 23:12

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
Isn't it Gigabyte who make this handset? I was always told (but never believed it) that Gigabyte were a top quality manufacturer...

DaveSimonH

DaveSimonH

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego
I'd actually suggest starting at the headphone jack, the little gap there was how I got the back off. Never had any luck starting at the sim card slot.

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
Looks like I've joined the "Gorilla glass, monkey plastic" club:

http://www.modaco.co...s/#entry2109321

xena_wales

xena_wales

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Devices:G300
I hadn't noticed until I read this thread then had a close look! But yep, the black plastic is cracked on both sides between the silver strip and the screen, and the silver plastic is cracked in 3 places on the left hand side, and one place on the right hand side. Not good!! I've never taken the back off, and have had since Xmas. I do have a bad habit of having it in my back jeans pocket tho, so that must put some curvature stress on it when i sit down, even tho I'm not actually sat on it!

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

I hadn't noticed until I read this thread then had a close look! But yep, the black plastic is cracked on both sides between the silver strip and the screen, and the silver plastic is cracked in 3 places on the left hand side, and one place on the right hand side. Not good!! I've never taken the back off, and have had since Xmas. I do have a bad habit of having it in my back jeans pocket tho, so that must put some curvature stress on it when i sit down, even tho I'm not actually sat on it!

Oh joy!

Now I've seen a crack on the black bezel on the right, halfway down, and I'd not noticed *that* before... and that is on a two day old, brand new replacement.

[EDIT]

Having said this, my premium monitor - the Dell 2001FP, has a 0.25mm(ish) wide crack, diagonally, from the top right hand inside corner to the top right outside corner, and it's never once spolit the use or enjoyment of its' superb IPS display. I think it *kinda* bugged me for the first hour, when I noticed it around 2 years ago, but then I resigned to it, and it's of no consequence whatsoever.

If the San Diego were to fall apart due to this cracking, it would be a problem, but it definitely is not, so it isn't an issue to me any more. Finally, it was *only* when xena_wales mentioned their bezel cracking that I looked and found it - barely noticeable unless you are hunting for it. Nevertheless, it's pretty laughable that a manufacturer selling a handset that was £200 at one point, is using materials that fracture as soon as they're looked at; Huawei and ZTE seem to make many handsets without these poor quality issues, and they make *many* cheap models.

Edited by glossywhite, 07 April 2013 - 06:42 PM.

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
Please remove, accidental post.

Edited by glossywhite, 07 April 2013 - 06:04 PM.

Roids

Roids

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade (Orange SF)

Stone the crows, I just removed the Sikai silicone case I've been using for the past 6 or so months, and the description of your cracks matches mine exactly!
Silver plastic: 3 on the left, 1 on the right. Black plastic: 1 on the left, 1 on the right.

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Stone the crows, I just removed the Sikai silicone case I've been using for the past 6 or so months, and the description of your cracks matches mine exactly!
Silver plastic: 3 on the left, 1 on the right. Black plastic: 1 on the left, 1 on the right.

Anyone for a class action law suit? :P lol

I thought crack dealing was illegal? :P

AH! found out who the designer of the OSD is...

Posted Image

Edited by glossywhite, 07 April 2013 - 09:23 PM.

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
I don't understand the thought processes of the people that designed this 'phone - they promote "Gorilla glass" and they've used aluminium for the micro SIM tray, and yet they've so obviously skimped on the silver strip around the outside, the power button, the volume rocker and on the bezel material (did they even do proper materials testing?).

My question, overall, is WHY? Why such a confusing and contradictory mixture of tough and unbelievably flimsy materials? Astoundingly poor decisions were made, it seems.

Edited by glossywhite, 07 April 2013 - 09:48 PM.

Andymac1969

Andymac1969

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Devices:LG G2, Moto G
I feel like i'm being driven paranoid by all the reports of cracking and dodgy power buttons on these phones, I might wrap mine up in cotton wool, and think the phone on rather than pushing the power button, do you think I will get 12 months out of it using it like this? :P

Andrew

Attached Files

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

I feel like i'm being driven paranoid by all the reports of cracking and dodgy power buttons on these phones, I might wrap mine up in cotton wool, and think the phone on rather than pushing the power button, do you think I will get 12 months out of it using it like this? :P

Andrew

Just enjoy it mate - and remember - if you want FoxConn to make a decent, hard-wearing 'phone, you'll have to get one from the iPhone plant :D

Andymac1969

Andymac1969

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Devices:LG G2, Moto G

Just enjoy it mate - and remember - if you want FoxConn to make a decent, hard-wearing 'phone, you'll have to get one from the iPhone plant :D

Like this one? :ph34r:

Andrew

Attached Files

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Like this one? :ph34r:

Andrew

Yes! exactly like that one.

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
Although there seems to be some confusion over who actually makes it(either Gigabyte or Foxconn) I believe the actual design is Intels original one, They decided that it was "good enough" and just went into full production(perhaps driven by time goals).

Since I've had no trouble with the bezel(touch wood) I wonder if perhaps Gigabyte made the initial batch and Foxconn the later ones? Just a thought, is there anyway to tell without taking the back off?

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
~~ [UPDATE] ~~

Unbelievably good news! :D

I just called my contact @ Orange executive office, and explained that I was not moaning or wanting to cause a fuss, but my *replacement* has also got a tiny crack (and I explained in detail where it was, and that it IS tiny and doesn't affect operation at all), and they said to me: "the best thing we can do for you is to offer you a full refund via cheque, since we don't want to keep sending you phones if they are going to have defects in them".

I asked what I would do to get the 'phone back to them for the refund, and they said: "Oh no, you keep the 'phone, it is the very least we can do for all the trouble you've had"

Oh my! What amazing service, and what a kind person! They also mentioned that my complaints about the fractures are taken very seriously, and have been fed back to the relevant people.

A FREE SAN DIEGO!

Mega impressed with that person / dept at Orange! Thank you!

Edited by glossywhite, 08 April 2013 - 04:27 PM.

sang3eta

sang3eta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
I've got the same problem 4 cracks in my Orange San Diego case after only 20 days!

Never been abused, not had the back off, I just downloaded 4 games and played them until the battery ran out and charged it back up.

I've had an Orange San Francisco/ZTE Blade for 2 years and never had any issues at all with that so this looks like a design/manufacturing fault.

Here's my video evidence...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO8z9S_hwLA

Edited by sang3eta, 10 May 2013 - 11:43 AM.

techosdkid

techosdkid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

~~ [UPDATE] ~~

Unbelievably good news! :D

I just called my contact @ Orange executive office, and explained that I was not moaning or wanting to cause a fuss, but my *replacement* has also got a tiny crack (and I explained in detail where it was, and that it IS tiny and doesn't affect operation at all), and they said to me: "the best thing we can do for you is to offer you a full refund via cheque, since we don't want to keep sending you phones if they are going to have defects in them".

I asked what I would do to get the 'phone back to them for the refund, and they said: "Oh no, you keep the 'phone, it is the very least we can do for all the trouble you've had"

Oh my! What amazing service, and what a kind person! They also mentioned that my complaints about the fractures are taken very seriously, and have been fed back to the relevant people.

A FREE SAN DIEGO!

Mega impressed with that person / dept at Orange! Thank you!

Seriously, you're a very lucky man. How did you get the number, to contact Orange executive office ?
Also, Do you think they would consider giving me a refund, as my phone has various amount of cracks on the casing (3 hairline cracks on casing but 3 cracks on the black outer bezel around the screen of the phone) ?

Edited by techosdkid, 09 May 2013 - 07:58 PM.

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Seriously, you're a very lucky man. How did you get the number, to contact Orange executive office ?
Also, Do you think they would consider giving me a refund, as my phone has various amount of cracks on the casing (3 hairline cracks on casing but 3 cracks on the black outer bezel around the screen of the phone) ?

Either an e-mail to [email protected] or a call to the Orange Executive Office 0800 079 0134. They do seem to be getting a little antsy on people phoning them there although it may just be the attitude of the customers phoning them that's rubbed them up the wrong way.
On whether you'd get a refund(or credit really) who knows?

Thedarkphonetech

Thedarkphonetech

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Thanks. Emailed them about my case cracking and power button. How long did it take for them to reply you email? They said 7 days!?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users