Flash = install the file.
Clockwork Recovery = the recovery program itself.
You find a file by navigating the menus from within recovery. Please look at this guide
( a little out of date, but you can never read too much) again as it does explain all the steps in the recovery part.
You need to use the menus from within recovery to select the Gapps file and install it. Just the same way you installed your custom ROM. How did you install your rom if you're not comfortable navigating the menus in clockwork?
Please, don't start messing about with your phone until you are comfortable with recovery. Get used to going in and out of it from a power off. Get used to paging through the menus in it. Get used to looking at the menus and then backing out without making changes.
There are so many tutorials that tell you how to do this in a step by step manner. This is my attempt to break it down for you.
- Get into clockwork. Turn phone on with VOL UP pressed until recovery screen appears. If this does not work, do you have recovery installed?
- Instructions for navigating in clockwork are at the top of the screen in my version of clockwork.The version I use is here.
- Navigate to the 'install ZIP' choice. Second one down in the menu in my version of clockwork recovery. Select it,
- Navigate to "Chose zip from external SD". First choice in the menu for me. select it.
- You should see a lit of directories and files on your SD. Select the GoogleApps file you downloaded. Select it. (You should install your ROM first in exactly the same way if you have not done so. Flash GAps after)
- Confirm that you want to install it. Let it install fully
- After install Reboot phone. Wait 15 minutes. Phone shoudl be normal or at welcome screen.
If no joy, get back into clockwork recovery (battery pull if necessary). Make sure you have the ROM and GAPS on your SD card (if necessary, take card out of phone and copy the files across via PC) Find the 'wipe data'/factory reset option and use it. Use the 'wipe cache' option. Install Rom, then install Gapps and reboot phone from within recovery.
If that doesn't work, download another rom, install that the same way with GApps after it.
You did take a backup of your fully working rom from within clockwork before you did ANYTHING, didn't you? If you did, this should have also given you a backup to install if all else fails.
Please make sure you have read more than one guide on how to do this before you do anything.
Edited by Liesse, 03 April 2013 - 05:04 PM.