george109

george109

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Tech and Canoeing
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S4 - GT-I9505

i get a list of files when i open file manager.

When I tick the file I've downloaded, and then the options key on the bottom left, it comes up General Settings Search options Themes...

So i click general settings and one of the things is 'advanced'; offers me 3 access modes, currently safe mode but I have the options to choose safe, prompt user or root access.

"App is running wothout priveleges and only accessible file systems are the storage volumes (SD cards and USB)."

i thought maybe if i choose root access it would give me access to the missing playstore etc??

Does it say

"App is running without privileges and only accessible file systems are the storage volumes (SD cards and USB)."

When you choose root access mode? If it says that, you are probably not rooted

Hello. I have an S4 now, and I hardly ever use MoDaCo now. 

Therefore you will receive no replies to any PMs

Please post in the forum instead. You will get more help there :)

:excl:A WARNING TO ALL G300 OWNERS! Please Read! (The Flash Memory Problem!) :excl:

Tutorial: How To (Officially) Unlock Your Bootloader! (The long way, but which definitely works)

Please, Do not use the HuaweiG300.com Tutorial on how to unlock your bootloader, it is better to unlock it officially with my tutorial!

Spoiler

My Device:

Huawei Ascend G300 (U8815) - Sold!

Samsung Galaxy S4 (Black) - The LTE Version - GT-I9505

(Ignore the links above (if there is one). It's a skimwords (advertising) link and nothing to do with me!)

The ROMS I have used:

Spoiler

Download Blink, a great app that controls the status LED on the G300!

Wait for 5 seconds and then click skip ad! Do not download anything in the ad window, that is not the app!

Did I help you?

If I did, Please press the rep_up1.png button, in the bottom right hand corner of my posts.

(If not, Press it anyway!)

If I really helped you, you could also donate to me. Thanks!  :) 

Liesse

Liesse

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
MICROSCOPE: it sounds like you're trying to open the file you downloaded from within android. Or even windows. You need run it from within your recovery program on your phone. The only way you are going to get your missing playstore back is to flash the correct version of Google Apps from recovery. This will add the missing programs.
Please read some of the linked guides for more help.

george109

george109

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
Microscope, Please read the guide, you have to flash (install) the zip in recovery mode. Look at the guide!

:excl:A WARNING TO ALL G300 OWNERS! Please Read! (The Flash Memory Problem!) :excl:

Tutorial: How To (Officially) Unlock Your Bootloader! (The long way, but which definitely works)

Please, Do not use the HuaweiG300.com Tutorial on how to unlock your bootloader, it is better to unlock it officially with my tutorial!

Spoiler

My Device:

(Ignore the links above (if there is one). It's a skimwords (advertising) link and nothing to do with me!)

The ROMS I have used:

Spoiler

Wait for 5 seconds and then click skip ad! Do not download anything in the ad window, that is not the app!

Did I help you?

If I did, Please press the rep_up1.png button, in the bottom right hand corner of my posts.

microscope

microscope

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Devices:huawei ascend g 300
Much to all your reliefs and with my warmest thanks to all of you, i THINK I've done it. At last! I will go to a wifi tomorrow and try a few things just to make sure.

Great team at Modaco, i would never have worked my way through all that on my own! Thanks again....

The problem was that in recovery, clicking on install from SD card did not then bring up the menu to select the file, not even sure now what i did in the end to get it up in there, but everything seems to be ok now

Edited by microscope, 03 April 2013 - 08:09 PM.

george109

george109

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
Great! Well done :) I hope it works *Fingers crossed*!

Edited by george109, 03 April 2013 - 08:12 PM.

Spoiler

My Device:

The ROMS I have used:

Spoiler

Did I help you?

microscope

microscope

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Everything now A1. Thanks!

Don't know if it might be helpful for newbies like me for Liesse's step by step guide to be stickied? My home button was where I was going wrong in clockwork recovery. It seems a lot stiffer than in normal use, and on mine i need to press a little to the left of the symbol. So I wasn't getting from initial menu to choose from list to install, in the end pressing something else and going straight into reboot.

File manager/CWM updater is still showing one update available. Is there a way to safely get rid of that. There were two updates the othr day when my problems started.

i'd feel confident now going into recovery, but don't really want to go through the rigmarole again for the time being. For the money, i do love the phone, pretty amazing.

Liesse

Liesse

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
microscope: If I were you, I wouldn't worry about updates. OTA (over the air - from the phone the way you did) can cause you problems. You've seen it happen. You'll get a far easier experience with your phone if when you see an update, you come here and do some reading about it. Download it manually (and the GApps version you need with it) and install it through your recovery.

If the update notification is bugging you, bring down the status bar (swipe from top of the phone screen) and click the icon with three lines sort of like stairs to clear notifications. Then forget about it or come here and do your research before deciding to update. Or set it not to check for them at all.

One of the ways OTA updates might cause you problems is if you are using the wrong (or an old) version of recovery. If you want something to do with your phone, figure out how to update your recovery to the latest version in this thread (you want the file called 'recovery-clockwork-hybrid-6.0.2.7-u8815-R4.zip' download it to SD, then flash it in clockwork the same way you flash a rom or G apps, reboot, then get back into recovery, and it should have changed). You'll see why if you read the the first post in the thread. Chances are that it will work better for you than the recovery you've been having problems with, and you can use the touchscreen with it rather than just buttons and vol rocker. Or don't bother. There's no need if you're happy with what you have if you don't plan to update again.

I think you might find that downloading a new rom manually and doing a wipe/factory reset in clockwork recovery before you install (followed by G Apps of course) it will give you less problems with your phone than OTA updating.

Just stay away from the automatic updates. Research, read threads and guides, and then decide if you want to update. There's no need to if you're happy with with you have.

Edited by Liesse, 04 April 2013 - 02:30 PM.

microscope

microscope

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Agree with everything you say and will stick with the current module while updating only my recovery at some point if i decide to start doing updates again.
What I have nowis more than enough for me in truth.

george109

george109

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
As they say, If it ain't broke don't fix it! :)

Spoiler

My Device:

The ROMS I have used:

Spoiler

Did I help you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users