[ SOLVED! Solution in thread... read!] How does one flash back to ORANGE ICS from XOLO ICS please?

Guest glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

Hello :)

Seeing as Ricky's tool is great, but rather confusing to work out, and slightly unpredictable, I thought it would be simpler to ask this question here:

Q: How do I revert my OSD back to factory Orange ICS from Xolo ICS, please?

I have access to Windows 7 64 and Linux 64 :)

Many thanks :)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Andymac1969

Hello :)

Seeing as Ricky's tool is great, but rather confusing to work out, and slightly unpredictable, I thought it would be simpler to ask this question here:

Q: How do I revert my OSD back to factory Orange ICS from Xolo ICS, please?

I have access to Windows 7 64 and Linux 64 :)

Many thanks :)

Download the Orange Dump using the Setup Tool (Option 3) extract it to the 'system' folder within sandiego/tools/system

Then run 'Flash Orange ICS' using option 2 on the AIO tool, then sit back and use some of your faith in miracles that it all runs correctly, which it should do

Regards

Andrew

Guest glossywhite

Download the Orange Dump using the Setup Tool (Option 3) extract it to the 'system' folder within sandiego/tools/system

Then run 'Flash Orange ICS' using option 2 on the AIO tool, then sit back and use some of your faith in miracles that it all runs correctly, which it should do

Regards

Andrew

Does this actually work - by that, I mean have you tried it personally, with respect? :)

I tried that and it didn't work.

Guest Andymac1969

Does this actually work - by that, I mean have you tried it personally, with respect? :)

I tried that and it didn't work.

I have tried it myself, and yes it did work

Andrew

Guest glossywhite

I have tried it myself, and yes it did work

Andrew

So, it will revert XOLO ICS to Orange ICS? Just want to clarify :)

Thank you very much Andrew, I'll try this now.

Guest shootomanUK

glossywhite if you eventually get it to flash back to orange please let me know how you did it, im still on xolo having tried to go back to orange using ther tool and ended up in a bootloop :-/

Guest Andymac1969

Yes it will, it did take a while to do it, but it did do it and all went OK

Guest Andymac1969

Just make sure your boot logo is the stock orange one before flashing back.

Well noticed, that is VERY important

Andrew

Guest glossywhite

Just make sure your boot logo is the stock orange one before flashing back.

Oh believe me, that was the *easy* part, and the first thing I thought of, so yes - I did that, and thanks for the reminder! :D

Guest glossywhite

With all respect to all those hard working hackers and generous people who wrote the AIO tool, it isn't exactly the most intuitive and bug-free software around - I may have to give it a clean up sometime, and give the grammar and plain English a re-write, so it is more user-friendly. I am not saying it isn't a fantastic tool, I am simply saying it is a bit messy and even for someone of my in-depth hacker-ese, it takes some serious working out to see what was in the minds of the designer.

For example:

when WGET is called and the dump is downloaded, instead of a clean filename: "dump.zip", whoever wrote the code that calls WGET has forgotten to add the "-o" argument, so I have a dump named "dump.zip@token_hash=AAHLEVLEXG71l2VRx6V_7l6zd5nzees4f4niA34gluR9Vw" which shouldn't be, and which is just a mess.

[EDIT]

Ready to cross-grade back to Orange, now:

post-625969-0-04095700-1365022460_thumb.

Edited by glossywhite

The tool works, I know as I was testing it with ricky. The process of manually reverting to orange is a lot more complex than pushing a few numbers in a tool that does all the adb commands for you and to be honest, I cannot remember all commands now as there was no need to remeber with the tool.

If people are having problems getting back to orange, I will go through it tomorrow to recap and see why but as far as I am aware the tool still works for reverting to orange.

Edit: yes glissywhite, I have noticed that problem with a few downloads.

Maybe you should PM ricky and ask if you can continue with the work, I not sure if he supports the tool now as I was away awhile and he now has another device.

Edited by Guest

Guest glossywhite

The tool works, I know as I was testing it with ricky. The process of manually reverting to orange is a lot more complex than pushing a few numbers in a tool that does all the adb commands for you and to be honest, I cannot remember all commands now as there was no need to remeber with the tool.

If people are having problems getting back to orange, I will go through it tomorrow to recap and see why but as far as I am aware the tool still works for reverting to orange.

I totally understand this, as I write bash scripts and edit python scripts all the time, and yes - it gets confusing and complex. One thing I would think that could be improved however (and it is *much* easier in Linux, as it has native ZIP/unZIP support) is that, once the dump.zip has been downloaded successfully (with the proper name :P) the folder hierarchy should be auto-extracted, in place, to the "C:\SanDiego\tools\system\", or wherever us Linux-heads downloaded it to also (a Linux version would be MUCH easier to write!), and then have it delete the no longer required ZIP file :)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Andymac1969

I totally understand this, as I write bash scripts and edit python scripts all the time, and yes - it gets confusing and complex. One thing I would think that could be improved however (and it is *much* easier in Linux, as it has native ZIP/unZIP support) is that, once the dump.zip has been downloaded successfully (with the proper name :P) the folder hierarchy should be auto-extracted, in place, to the "C:\SanDiego\tools\system\", or wherever us Linux-heads downloaded it to also (a Linux version would be MUCH easier to write!), and then have it delete the no longer required ZIP file :)

Go for it!! The tool is great, but it has caused me no end of brown trouser moments, it took trial and near fatal error to work out which zips should be extracted into folders and which did not need to be, a fantastic tool, but needs cleaning up for those of us with only half a brain. :blink:

Guest glossywhite

Go for it!! The tool is great, but it has caused me no end of brown trouser moments, it took trial and near fatal error to work out which zips should be extracted into folders and which did not need to be, a fantastic tool, but needs cleaning up for those of us with only half a brain. :blink:

I very much believe there is nothing wrong with your brain my dear friend :) and there is nothing wrong with mine. There's a good reason coders and UI/interaction designers are separate entities in software companies, and this could well be the proof of it, but at least this EXISTS :)

I think glossywhite must pm rickywyatt first as it is his work, as for the files that are being downloading they are all in my dropbox account so I can provide the links again if they have become corrupt at some point.

Guest glossywhite

I think glossywhite must pm rickywyatt first as it is his work, as for the files that are being downloading they are all in my dropbox account so I can provide the links again if they have become corrupt at some point.

I think there would be a far more elegant solution, were I to provide this as re-written. I would supply the whole kit, recovery ZIP files, stock images, the LOT, in a bundle ready to go, as it is a little short-sighted to assume that everyone using the tool wherever they may be, has fast internet access, and to rely on a DropBox account that, with respect to your good self, could go offline or you may decide to close it down; that isn't the best idea.

I'll mull it over, thank you :)

Guest glossywhite

glossywhite if you eventually get it to flash back to orange please let me know how you did it, im still on xolo having tried to go back to orange using ther tool and ended up in a bootloop :-/

#### VITAL ####

~~ Once the steps below have been taken, you MUST root it before reverting to Orange ICS...

~~ ALSO: Ensure, if you are able to access the OS, you enable debugging mode before reverting to Orange ICS.

Right... are you ready for this, dear boy? :P

1/ Download the Orange GingerBread dump ---> https://www.dropbox....7/dump.zip?dl=1

2/ Extract the folders inside that dump, to: "C:\SanDiego\tools\system" once extracted, it should be as below:

8617832938_a2ca96e79a_b.jpg

4/ Make sure you have the **XOLO** ICS "update.zip" sitting in "C:\SanDiego\tools\xolo" folder (on the PC, obv :P)

5/ Power down the handset, and whilst holding down VOL ( + ) *and* VOL ( - ) simultaneously, power it on (let go of power button once it double-vibrates to confirm it turned on :)) - keep holding volume buttons until you see a BLUE, "Tron"-esque android man, THEN let go of them (this is now in bootloader mode)

6/ Open a command prompt, also called a "DOS box" or "CMD", and type:

cd c:\SanDiego\tools

... then press [RETURN]

7/ Type EXACTLY what you see in the screenshot below: (fastboot.exe -i 0x8087 flash update xolo\update.zip )

8616754051_35856eccba_z.jpg

Your handset will sit in the Tron Android logo for a min or so - the screen may go black - don't panic, it'll still be working. Next, it will reboot itself into recovery mode and finish the process off. Finally, the handset will reboot into the OS - FRESH XOLO JUICE!! :P

### ROOT IT NOW, THAT IS WHAT WORKS FOR ME - DO NOT PROCEED PAST HERE BEFORE DOING SO ###

@@@ CONFIRMED @@@

You definitely need to ROOT before going back to Orange, and once rooted & it has rebooted, you'll need to run the "adbd Insecure" app, tell "SuperUser" to allow it, then in the "adbd Insecure", tick BOTH boxes, then do the Orange cross-grade from XOLO :)

That will get you back to freshly installed **XOLO** ICS, and you can then revert to Orange ICS using the tool.

:) I hope that has been helpful! :)

Toodle pip! :D

Edited by glossywhite

Guest shootomanUK

Thanks,

only i need to go back to orange, im on rooted xolo already.

do i need to flash the orange logo first, then do the above instructions int he opposite way i.e using orange dump instead of xolo e.t.c

Guest glossywhite

Thanks,

only i need to go back to orange, im on rooted xolo already.

do i need to flash the orange logo first, then do the above instructions int he opposite way i.e using orange dump instead of xolo e.t.c

I would have assumed the Orange "update.zip" would put the logo back itself, since the XOLO "update.zip" does when you migrate over to that version.

[EDIT]

Finally back to Stock:

post-625969-0-91069000-1365027622_thumb.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest shootomanUK

hmm i'll have to have a go at it sometime this week, like i said last time i tried it the phone was stuck in a bootloop

i was also rooted and on xolo so i don;t know what went wrong.

i agree what you were saying in your other post about ricky's aio tool, i know he worked hard doing it but its not the easiest of tools to get your head around.

Guest glossywhite

hmm i'll have to have a go at it sometime this week, like i said last time i tried it the phone was stuck in a bootloop

i was also rooted and on xolo so i don;t know what went wrong.

i agree what you were saying in your other post about ricky's aio tool, i know he worked hard doing it but its not the easiest of tools to get your head around.

I've been in a boot loop three times in the last three days, and got myself out of it manually - no reference to any tools or AIO kits. If you read my long "how to" above, I show you how to manually re-flash XOLO using "fastboot" by activating "bootloader" mode with the VOL ( + ) and ( - ) keys :)

Go to step #5 @

Edited by glossywhite

Guest shootomanUK

yes but we have an official xolo update.zip from the xolo website which is easy to flash, however the orange rom is just a dump so does it just flash the same way ?

Guest glossywhite

yes but we have an official xolo update.zip from the xolo website which is easy to flash, however the orange rom is just a dump so does it just flash the same way ?

(A ) Orange ICS (stock) ===> Xolo ICS (using Xolo update.zip) = straight cross-grade

(B ) Xolo ICS (cross-graded from Xolo "update.zip") ===> Orange stock condition, needs the GingerBread "dump.zip" to be manually downloaded and extracted before reverting to Orange stock condition, as it looks for strings and files to be present that were present in the original release of 2.3.7 for the San Diego (as that is what it was - an upgrade from GB to ICS). The "dump.zip" contains said files to fool it into allowing the revert back to Orange stock ICS.

#### DO NOT treat and flash the "dump.zip" as you would a **signed** "update.zip", as it is UNsigned (as far as I know) and it will brick your OSD, possibly permanently! ####

The Xolo and the Orange "update.zip" files are *signed* - the "dump.zip" is NOT, and besides - it is GingerBread (ugh)

Edited by glossywhite

The orange is an official update zip too. The reason for the dump is because the orange update runs a patch check on the currunt system, typical of orange to be that way.