GB-ROM with lower DPI?

Guest habanero79

Guest habanero79

Hi there,

i have a question. I love the JB Roms but i can't use them because i often need the camera to take a video. the JB-Roms arent smooth enough for me, so i decided to use a GB (H3 Blues).

Now i tried to switch the DPI to 200 because it looks much better for me. after the reboot i get a ton of errors from all apps. i had to restore my backup because the rom was now unusable.

is there any GB-Rom with lower DPI or is there no chance to change this?

Guest H3ROS

As the Skate is a HDPI device I've only modified the HDPI theme. However, I've just tested setting the DPI to 200 and it's worked fine.

You can either do it via an application or you can go to the system directory, open build.prop and change ro.sf.lcd_density=240 to ro.sf.lcd_density=200 :)

Guest habanero79

i changed it with the app "rom toolbox lite". exactly this value. after reboot most apps had a force close. like shazam, swiftkey and android system apps. no chance to work with it... any solutions? on which rom did u tested the 200?

Guest H3ROS

i changed it with the app "rom toolbox lite". exactly this value. after reboot most apps had a force close. like shazam, swiftkey and android system apps. no chance to work with it... any solutions? on which rom did u tested the 200?

H3 Blues as I'm it's author. 200 worked perfectly for me from a fresh install, so maybe ROM toolbox is to blame? If it goes to MDPI ranges then it will error, but I can confirm that manually setting the value to 200 has worked for me.

Try Inovative Creations Rom GB 2.3.5, is 200 dpi and is the fastest gb rom.

That's your opinion and not a fact. Install the same launcher onto H3 Blues, apply Nitroglass and I bet it will perform exactly the same with the added bonus of extra features.

Benchmarks with an SD card aren't an accurate result, since your SD card could be a different class or brand. Also the launcher can have a big impact due to memory consumption. But I can tell you that smooth scrolling, optimized applications and an optimized framework has been a part of H3 Blues for some time now. It's also a smaller ROM size wise due to the optimizations I've applied.

For the record I'm not saying what you suggested is a bad ROM, but that you should state "in my opinion", because in your opinion you feel it's the fastest but theres no proof of it being that. I may even put out a "lite" version of H3 Blues just to prove it.

EDIT:

I just noticed that "Inovative Creations" has a launcher which is actually warez. ADW Launcher EX, which is £2.26. So I can't use the same launcher and hand out the ROM.

Edited by H3ROS

Guest H3ROS

Are u working on any 4++ roms H3ROS ?

Nope, just a 2.3.5 ROM that's been made to look more like JB/ICS. It'll likely be my last too as I'm probably going to get another phone in a few months.

Guest habanero79

a fresh install with a modified version of h3blues works. i changed the value in built.prop before flashing. after flashing i get no errors and all seems good. but there is a new problem. some apps are incompatible now or not in the play store. shazam disapear when i search for it and dropbox says that this version is incompatible. i cant erase my google account (as in the JB/ICS Roms) because he says the only way to do it is to make a factory reset (its locked because some apps need the account).

Guest H3ROS

a fresh install with a modified version of h3blues works. i changed the value in built.prop before flashing. after flashing i get no errors and all seems good. but there is a new problem. some apps are incompatible now or not in the play store. shazam disapear when i search for it and dropbox says that this version is incompatible. i cant erase my google account (as in the JB/ICS Roms) because he says the only way to do it is to make a factory reset (its locked because some apps need the account).

If you want to delete the account from the phone just go to settings, select accounts and then click on the account you want to remove.

The Google Play app detects the DPI, but there is a solution for this. Just install this update:

http://www.modaco.co...i/#entry2111030

It's the Play Store with automatic updates of itself disabled and the DPI check set to 240.

EDITED: The version I originally linked to here was buggy. The new link is now specifically for H3 Blues.

Edited by H3ROS

Guest habanero79

Sounds good, but i get a problem with it. i cant delete the account. if i try, he ist asking me "do you really want to delete....". i choose "yes i will really really" and get the error that some apps need this and the only way is to make a factory reset... the account is still in there.

ii tried the update you postet but he says "app not installed". so, should i try to replace the PlayStore in H3 Blues V2.2.zip with yours and flash it? If yes, can you tell me which APK i have to replace?

GooglePlayServices.apk???

ty

Guest H3ROS

I guess starting over will be the best choice then, but as for the actual file name in the ROM, it's using the older legacy name of "Market.apk".

It should work as long as you download the DPI 240 version, but the author does note that if people do still have issues then GoogleServicesFramework.apk may also need a patch. I'll create that for you if you have any problems.

EDIT:

I went ahead and created it as I'm going to be disconnected for a few hours:

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/bIvhbZcDa2/

I've not tested it, but it should work as I've kept the original signatures and only modified some smali.

EDIT:

And here's a flashable zip for anyone else with H3 Blues that wants Google Play with a "fixed" DPI check:

http://www.modaco.co...i/#entry2111030

Just keep in mind that you won't receive Google Play updates, so you'll want to check this website every so often. All you then need to do is rename the updated vending apk file you downloaded to Market.apk and replace the file in the above zip with the newer one. Then you just need to flash it from ClockworkMod.

EDITED: The update may or may not be buggy. I had to patch the latest version of Google Play myself to make it work.

Edited by H3ROS

Guest habanero79

thank u. i'll try it later. another question:

is there a chance to replace the battery symbol? e.g like the circle in JB? the percent are very small....

Guest H3ROS

If you flash the addon I've created from ClockworkMod then you may not have to format.

But to answer your question, yes it's possible.

http://uot.dakra.lt/

Upload the files to the kitchen and then select to use the battery mod. Pick the design you want, change the colours if you wish and then wait for the patch to be generated. Some will come out better than others :)

Edited by H3ROS

Guest habanero79

hi h3ros,

you did it. the play store seems to work. i can install dropbox and shazam. but your patch didnt work. after reboot he says that the play store isnt installed. a fresh flash with your marketstore works perfectly. the link to the kitchen did also work perfectly. after reading and looking (about 30 mins, the settings are very tricky) i got it working. very nice, the kitchen. i fell like a little dev now ;o)

Guest H3ROS

It looks like the pre-patched version of the market is buggy because whenever I flash just that apk Google Play will go missing. I'll try to get to the bottom of it and will update the patch if I find a solution.

EDIT:

I ended up patching it myself. I also found out that when you change the DPI for Google Play that you must also perform a factory reset (clear data and the cache from ClockworkMod).

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/Lq6Id3Mb5J/

In this version I've also changed the update icon back to white to fit in with the H3 Blues theme.

Edited by H3ROS