[NEW! Xolo ICS auto-installer for Linux :-)] Totally automatic!

Guest glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

>>> Using Windows? Try the Windows version here: http://www.modaco.co...tally-automatic <<<

Hello!

I spent hourrrrrs writing and testing this, for my dear Linux comrades, to make the automatic installation of Xolo ICS on your San Diego, an automated BREEZE! :D

I'm very proud of having taken a lot of work out of the process for you (it even downloads the ROM!), so I hope you like this :D

Please test, and if you like it, maybe buy me a beer if you like (that is not compulsory!)

Screenshot:

8622889845_3a14654cbc_b.jpg

Pre-requisites:

1/ Linux (d'oh!) - [ I tested this in Linux Mint 13, 64 bit, but Ubuntu will be fine :) ] oh, and 'wget' needs to be installed!

2/ More than a modicum of common sense :P

3/ Root (or sudo) priviledges (VITAL!)

4/ "USB debugging" *ENABLED* in the San Diego

>>>> HOW TO ENABLE "USB DEBUGGING" ON YOUR SAN DIEGO, RUNNING ICS <<<<

Click on "Settings", then follow these simple steps:

1:

8638400404_40f01045d5_z.jpg

2:

8637295337_ecb9392c49_z.jpg

3:

8637295273_4c3fdcc392_z.jpg

4:

8637295059_4a21f12302_z.jpg

5:

8637294965_9281a495b8_z.jpg

The script will ONLY download the XOLO ICS "update.zip" *once*, and it checks it is downloaded every time you run this, saving your precious bandwidth.

Test, test again, and enjoy it!

Here's the source code, for interest's sake:

#!/bin/bash

chmod +x adb fastboot wget

# WARNING BLOCK FOR SUDO

clear

echo "??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????"

echo "???? ARE YOU A USER WITH SU OR SUDO PERMISSIONS? YOU NEED TO BE! ????"

echo "??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????"

echo "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

echo "!!!! IF YOU DID **NOT** RUN IT AS SUDO, CLOSE THIS SHELL AND RE-LAUNCH AS SUDO OR ROOT! !!!!"

echo "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

echo "!!!! THIS SCRIPT ****MUST**** BE RUN AS SUDO: EG - sudo ./auto_install_xolo_ics.sh !!!!"

echo ">>>> IS USB DEBUGGING ENABLED? IF NOT, ENABLE IT, OR THIS WILL NOT WORK! <<<<"

sleep 5

echo "@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@"

echo "@@@@ THIS SOFTWARE REQUIRES YOUR DISTRIBUTION TO HAVE 'wget' INSTALLED. TO TEST, @@@@"

echo "@@@@ CLOSE THIS WINDOW AND OPEN A NEW BASH @@@@"

echo "@@@@ SHELL AND TYPE 'wget' TO TEST IT OUT. IF THAT FAILS, MAKE SURE 'wget' IS INSTALLED - @@@@"

echo "@@@@ MOST DISTRIBUTIONS OF LINUX SHOULD HAVE IT INSTALLED BY DEFAULT :-) @@@@"

echo "@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@"

sleep 20

# END WARNING BLOCK FOR SUDO AND BASH DEPENDANCY :-)

# CHECK IF ROM IS ALREADY DOWNLOADED?

if [ -f xolo_ics/update.zip ]

then

# IF ROM IS DOWLOADED, SKIP RIGHT TO FLASHING IT IN :-)

clear

echo "~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"

echo "#### WELCOME TO VERSION 0.1 OF THE OSD XOLO ICS EASY INSTALLER FOR DEBIAN LINUX SYSTEMS :-) ####"

echo "~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"

echo "#### YOU ALREADY HAVE THE ROM DOWNLOADED, SO LET'S GET STRAIGHT TO THE UPGRADE :-) ####"

sleep 5

clear

echo ">>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> !WARNING! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<"

echo ">>>> THIS SCRIPT IS GOING TO UPGRADE YOU TO XOLO ICS, SO IF YOU DO NOT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN <<<<"

echo ">>>> YOU HAVE 15 SECONDS TO CLOSE THIS SHELL <<<<"

sleep 15

clear

echo "#### XOLO ICS STOCK EASY-INSTALLING... ####"

echo "#### PLEASE WAIT... ####"

./adb kill-server

./adb start-server

./adb wait-for-device

sleep 5

clear

echo "#### PUTTING YOUR OSD INTO BOOTLOADER MODE - THIS TAKES 30 SECS... ####"

./adb reboot bootloader

sleep 30

clear

echo "#### WE ARE IN BOOTLOADER MODE - YOUR PHONE SHOULD HAVE A BLACK SCREEN WITH A BLUE ANDROID ON IT ####"

sleep 5

clear

echo "~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"

echo "#### NOW UPDATING YOUR OS TO XOLO ICS - PLEASE BE PATIENT, THIS PROCESS IS AUTOMATIC ####"

echo "~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"

echo "#### PLEASE WAIT - WE WON'T BE LONG :-)... ####"

./fastboot -i 0x8087 flash update xolo_ics/update.zip

clear

echo "#### ONCE YOUR SAN DIEGO HAS FULLY BOOTED, PRESS THE RETURN KEY HERE, AND ####"

echo "#### WHEN YOU SEE A BLACK SCREEN WITH A FUNKY GREEN ANDROID AND ####"

echo "#### A MENU AT THE TOP, IT IS DONE. TO COMPLETE THE PROCESS ####"

echo "#### USE VOLUME (+) & (-) BUTTONS TO MOVE UP AND DOWN, AND THEN USE ####"

echo "#### THE CAMERA BUTTON TO SELECT 'WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET' AND/OR ####"

echo "#### 'WIPE CACHE PARTITION'. ONCE YOU'VE FINISHED, SCROLL UP ####"

echo "#### TO THE 'REBOOT SYSTEM NOW' OPTION, AND PRESS CAMERA BUTTON TO REBOOT. ####"

echo "#### YOUR SAN DIEGO WILL THEN REBOOT INTO A FRESH XOLO ICS! ####"

sleep 2

echo ">>>> WAIT UNTIL THE SAN DIEGO HAS FULLY BOOTED (BLACK SCREEN GONE, NO ANDROIDS!), ####"

echo ">>>> THEN PRESS [RETURN] KEY ####"

echo ">>>> AND YOUR SAN DIEGO WILL ENTER RECOVERY MODE SO YOU CAN CLEAR CACHE/DATA ####"

read

clear

echo "........................................................................................."

echo "... YOUR SAN DIEGO IS BOOTING INTO RECOVERY MODE - PLEASE WIPE CACHE/DATA IF NEEDED ..."

echo "........................................................................................."

./adb reboot recovery

echo ">>>> WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED WIPING CACHE/DATA, PRESS [RETURN] ONCE MORE TO EXIT <<<<"

read

echo ":-) :-) THANK YOU! YOUR SAN DIEGO NOW HAS XOLO ICE CREAM SANDWICH! ADIOS! :-) :-)"

sleep 5

clear

# END SCRIPT!

exit

else

# ROM WAS NOT DOWNLOADED, SO LET'S GO GET IT, THEN FLASH IT IN :-)

mkdir xolo_ics

clear

echo "#### WELCOME TO VERSION 0.1 OF THE OSD XOLO ICS EASY INSTALLER FOR DEBIAN LINUX SYSTEMS :-) ####"

echo "#### NOW DOWLOADING THE XOLO ICS ROM - PLEASE BE PATIENT - THE INSTALL WILL CONTINUE ONCE ####"

echo "#### THE UPDATE HAS DOWLOADED SUCCESSFULLY! ####"

sleep 5

wget https://www.dropbox.com/s/ijjjj8v5z7wgywn/update.zip?dl=1 --no-check-certificate -O xolo_ics/update.zip

sleep 5

clear

echo ">>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> !WARNING! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<"

echo ">>>> THIS SCRIPT IS GOING TO UPGRADE YOU TO XOLO ICS, SO IF YOU DO NOT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN <<<<"

echo ">>>> YOU HAVE 15 SECONDS TO CLOSE THIS SHELL <<<<"

sleep 15

clear

echo "#### XOLO ICS STOCK EASY-INSTALLING... ####"

echo "#### PLEASE WAIT... ####"

./adb kill-server

./adb start-server

./adb wait-for-device

sleep 5

clear

echo "#### PUTTING YOUR OSD INTO BOOTLOADER MODE - THIS TAKES 30 SECS... ####"

./adb reboot bootloader

sleep 30

clear

echo "#### WE ARE IN BOOTLOADER MODE - YOUR PHONE SHOULD HAVE A BLACK SCREEN WITH A BLUE ANDROID ON IT ####"

sleep 5

clear

echo "#### NOW UPDATING YOUR OS TO XOLO ICS - PLEASE BE PATIENT, THIS PROCESS IS AUTOMATIC ####"

echo "#### PLEASE WAIT - WE WON'T BE LONG :-)... ####"

./fastboot -i 0x8087 flash update xolo_ics/update.zip

clear

echo "#### ONCE YOUR SAN DIEGO HAS FULLY BOOTED, PRESS THE RETURN KEY HERE, AND ####"

echo "#### WHEN YOU SEE A BLACK SCREEN WITH A FUNKY GREEN ANDROID AND ####"

echo "#### A MENU AT THE TOP, IT IS DONE. TO COMPLETE THE PROCESS ####"

echo "#### USE VOLUME (+) & (-) BUTTONS TO MOVE UP AND DOWN, AND THEN USE ####"

echo "#### THE CAMERA BUTTON TO SELECT 'WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET' AND/OR ####"

echo "#### 'WIPE CACHE PARTITION'. ONCE YOU'VE FINISHED, SCROLL UP ####"

echo "#### TO THE 'REBOOT SYSTEM NOW' OPTION, AND PRESS CAMERA BUTTON TO REBOOT. ####"

echo "#### YOUR SAN DIEGO WILL THEN REBOOT INTO A FRESH XOLO ICS! ####"

sleep 2

echo ">>>> WAIT UNTIL THE SAN DIEGO HAS FULLY BOOTED (BLACK SCREEN GONE, NO ANDROIDS!), ####"

echo ">>>> THEN PRESS [RETURN] KEY ####"

echo ">>>> AND YOUR SAN DIEGO WILL ENTER RECOVERY MODE SO YOU CAN CLEAR CACHE/DATA ####"

read

clear

echo "... YOUR SAN DIEGO IS BOOTING INTO RECOVERY MODE - PLEASE WIPE CACHE/DATA IF NEEDED ..."

./adb reboot recovery

echo ">>>> WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED, PRESS [RETURN] ONCE MORE TO EXIT <<<<"

read

echo ":-) :-) THANK YOU! YOUR SAN DIEGO NOW HAS XOLO ICE CREAM SANDWICH! ADIOS! :-) :-)"

sleep 5

clear

fi

exit

Cheerio! :D

PS: Oh, and PLEASE - plug the San Diego INTO the PC; the script isn't that automatic! ^_^

linux-xolo-ICS-auto-installer.zip

Edited by glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

Great! Shall test this in a few hours. :)

Don't you mean... "shell test this in a few hours" :P

Hehe. You are welcome! Thank you :)

Guest glossywhite

Little of topic but how do you learn how to do this? Would love to be able to make a program like that

That seems totally on topic to me :)

Well, it's years of making mistakes, installing many Linux distributions and way too much typing, that allows one to develop these skills. Don't ever allow anyone to make you think it is a "L33t skill" or some other utter nonsense - it's not magically imparted knowledge, it just takes practice, patience and determination; so long as you are comfortable with Linux bash shells and DOS command prompts, you should just experiment, typing commands and arguments in, and see what works (and what doesn't!).

Don't ever think, as I used to, that this is a "them and us" situation - "them" being all the (imaginary) "whizz kid" hackers, who profess to know everything, which, sadly, often makes "us", the one who doesn't, then we feel worthless, and as if they know it ALL. I can say with one hundred percent certainty that there is not ONE SINGLE programmer alive who knows every conceivable thing there is to know about the language, programs or scripts they write. We are all human - some of just like to show off and make out that we are exceptional - pride is not good, and I know enough to make scripts like this, just through trial and error, so I encourage you to make as many errors as you need... YOU WILL get there, I have faith in you - have faith in your abilities my friend :D

Take care, God bless, enjoy yourself :)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest shootomanUK

glossywhite i'm sure you could unlock the bootloader,unlock the sim,create a custom kernel,create a custom rom (even ubuntu works on phones now) and make it have free calls for life if you wanted it to :D

you could team up with zhiming zhou , he/she is a whizzkid like yourself ;)

http://www.modaco.com/user/671637-zhiming-zhou/

Together i think you could work wonders !!

:P

Edited by shootomanUK

Guest glossywhite

glossywhite i'm sure you could unlock the bootloader,unlock the sim,create a custom kernel,create a custom rom (even ubuntu works on phones now) and make it have free calls for life if you wanted it to :D

you could team up with zhiming zhou , he/she is a whizzkid like yourself ;)

http://www.modaco.co...7-zhiming-zhou/

Together i think you could work wonders !!

:P

Flattery will get you:

1/ Nowhere, in the context of "flat battery", aka "flattery" :P

2/ It has gained you my gratitude, but I am not sure that alone will "get you everywhere"! ...

hehe!

Thank you very much, I am not sure I am quite at that stage yet, but as and when I discover things and release them, my good Modaco friends will see them here first!

God bless you, that was very kind of you :)

PS: Did you test it? Oh, and I have ported it to Windows too - check this sub-forum for my other thread :)

Edited by glossywhite