Fundraising for getting devs G150s

Guest KenBW2

Guest KenBW2

One of the things that made the Blade such a great phone is the huge dev community it gained as a result of its (at the time) amazing specs. Notable figures were/are Flibblesan, kallt_kaffe, Sebastian404, tilal6991, daemond and KonstaT. Their ROMs over the past nearly 3 years are what made the Blade such an exciting phone to have. It made sure it was kept up to date and that an installation of a ROM never lasted more than a couple of months before it was wiped by its successor :P

A great dev community will ensure our G150s last much beyond their expected life, and that we get so much more out of it than was originally intended.

Exciting developments coming up are the imminent rumoured Android 5, Firefox OS and Ubuntu Touch, all of which would be fantastic to see.

So I'd like to propose that we encourage a few devs our way, and we can collectively remove the biggest barrier to them, which is buying the hardware. I'm not sure how many G510 owners we have so far, but if we could each chip in, say £5 each I wonder how many devs we could buy G510s for.

I know this isn't the only hurdle, I know there's a lot of work goes into ROMs, especially those which bridge the gap to a new Android version. And these efforts are greatly appreciated (as I mention they were with the Blade). I hope we can get behind this and get ourselves some great support.

I know about Kickstarter and similar, but I'm not over au-fait with these things and would welcome feedback.

TL;DR: A dev community would greatly expand the possibilities of our G510s, and we could each chip in a small amount to buy some devs a G510 each

Guest Andymac1969

Sounds like a plan, Paul and Sebastian have definitely got one, Fibblesan said he is/was tempted at this price you can understand why, if we need to round up others, then I have no problem chipping in :)

Guest Sebastian404

I dont think its lack of interested from developers thats the big problem right now, but getting the bloody thing unlocked ;)

It does seem to have quite an active community with our Spanish friends tho...

Guest KenBW2

I dont think its lack of interested from developers thats the big problem right now, but getting the bloody thing unlocked ;)

It does seem to have quite an active community with our Spanish friends tho...

Tell me about it! Bear in mind when I created the thread it looked fairly straightforward, I didn't envisage it being this much of an arse

Guest Simon O

It's only a pain at the moment because this device isn't on the website for unlocking so requests need to be made manually. Knowing Huawei in the past there will be a few miscommunication issues so it'll take time to find somebody that understands the request you are making.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest KenBW2

We have a dev already working on CyanogenMod 10.1. It's working and stable, although there are various missing features (most notably 3G). I'll let the quote speak for itself:

It's a pre version with i supposed a lot of bugs, but i haven't got the device and i can try

Donations:

If you want, you can donate me and i will buy the device and work more intensity.

Link:https://www.paypal.c...d=5PXGUZ9MW7LJE

We have at least €35 donated so far, would be great to all chip in to get this. As I said in there, if someone had a working stable CM 10.1 on sale for £10, would you buy it?

Guest ZolaIII

There is around 30 request for auure phone on cm10.1 request bord so go ahead and post new ones! Oficial is official & it's not a great work because the socs cross compatibility! They can have 4 models with one little modified bild: G510. G600. Y300 & G330!