RAM Expand

Guest marcioo

Guest klezkk

That's a swap file creator. A swap file is a virtual stick of ram added with a file on your SD card. That means that part of the RAM will be a lot less responsive and its speed will be limited by the SD card read/write speed.

By the way, it's uselessly expensive. It's a waste of money, there are some free alternatives like swapper.

Edited by klezkk

Guest penthaler

It really works, but you need to have kernel which allows swapping. Without it any soft (paid and free) is useless!

btw. need root, busybox installed and card with write speed more than 6MB/S (and compatible kernel + unlocked bootloader of course)

Guest Gabrielius

I'm totally interested in this. Does this work and what are the threats? Could someone explain a bit more about this? It would be nice to have extra ram :)

Guest penthaler

Hi can I ask? How do I know, that swapper works? I have B952 SLIM v11 Ouch Kernel 1.4

Install Terminal Emulator and after running type "free" (without hashes). If it works you will see row with "swap" and some numbers equals to size of chosen SWAP.file/ used swap and free swap amount.

Apparently it can brick the device. Does anyone know more about this?

Brick? Root can brick, flashing CWM/ROM etc. can brick, BRICK or hammer can brick it too... XD But only INSTALLATION of APK file and creating SWAP.FILE cant brick phone!

OT - could someone brick his phone after installing (for ex.) Angry Birds? xD

Guest thepolodoc

Got a brick by using this app. :D

I doubt it. If the app could easily brick phones then i'm pretty sure google wouldn't like it on the play store.

Guest pOcHa

however fast sd card you think you got, it will still be over 100 times slower than the ram - plus, with constants writing and reading you greatly risk data corruption (and shortening of the card's life - their average lifespan is just that, average)

you will only benefit from this if you are a really heavy multitasker, otherwise every single app executing from the page file will just run needlesly slower, and when the system files end up there, the overall lagging ensues (and i highly doubt it's sophisticated enough to prevent that)...

oh, and it will constantly drain your battery as well

Edited by pOcHa

Guest plewis1981

Dose having the swap file on the internal SD partition solve these issues as it is flash rather than sd . or would this shorten the life of my phone

Guest kyan31

I doubt it. If the app could easily brick phones then i'm pretty sure google wouldn't like it on the play store.

Not really, as long as the app states that it could potentially brick your phone, Google will allow it on the Play Store. Its not Google's fault if anything goes wrong as you decided to root in the fist place, already putting your phone in danger and voiding its warranty simultaneously.

Guest Timbones

An alternative is to use Zram instead, which creates a compressed swapfile in memory so you're not wearing out your SD card. Requires kernel support, eg Paul's or Ouch.

However, I find that when it gets full the phone becomes sluggish, with no way to clear out the swap. I don't think it works well with Android's memory management. Tweaking some kernel parameters might fix it.

I've had better mileage using Greenify to prevent rogue apps running in the background (eg Maps), using up previous memory that other apps need.

Guest nsmacd1

Tried it & didn't notice any real difference (One Electra ROM)- I would also recommend Greenify if the phone is getting sluggish

Guest penthaler

Guys, if you use custom ROMs, there is no need of using SWAP. Few days ago I moved from stock B952 (ics) to CM9 and got much better performance, RAM management and stability. For testing was game Real Racing 3 which constantly makes troubles in stock ics/gb - freezing, lags, phone restarting. Now it works flawlessly, no troubles.

The same thing with games like CSR Racing, Ravensword2 etc. All is compatible with G300 but with stock they are unplayable.

So if you really want to boost your phone and have better game (and system) performance - GO FOR CM9.

btw. In antutu benchmark I got 3900 with stock ics and GAMEBOOSTER/greenify/seeder (1008Mhz CPU). - and game troubles

With CM9 have 4200 (CPU 1152Mhz) and only ZRAM enabled... no more game troubles

and friend of mine CM10 (CPU 1228Mhz) - dont know the other settings - ONLY 4100...

Guest PaulMilbank

If I remember correctly, the swapper app default setting was to use a partition in the filesystem it was not meant to on the G300. Thus it could create a brick. You needed to specify the correct location for the swap file before enabling it.

Google don't care and can't be held responsible for what you do on the phone especially if you have rooted it. If the app is not a virus, Google will pretty much allow it on the store.Also, if you have root, you can do and run anything anywhere with the highest level of privilege. It is a dangerous thing if used incorrectly. Thats why Google have been trying to make things like screen capture etc available without root so people don't feel the need to compromise phone security and longevity by playing around where they should not. Root is locked down for a reason out of the box.