Adreno 203 720p recording?

Guest ozfunghi

Guest ozfunghi

Hi,

my brother bought a Y300, which has a lot of similarities with the G510, including GPU and RAM. But because there is no Y300 section, i'll ask my question here. There is a lot of confusion about the video recording capabilities. A lot of retailers are still putting it at 720p for both devices, yet apparently, both only record at 480p. According to a poster on a German forum, the Adreno 203 is capable of 720p recording, hence lots of early info stated both phones to do 720p recording. Even Huawei on their own website. But this guy claims licensing fees were raised, making Huawei stick with 480p recording.

http://www.android-h...et-hoerbar.html

Yet a google search shows that certain XDA forum members say the hardware is incapable of 720p, only in combination with a quad-core CPU.

http://forum.xda-dev...26#post40777426

Wikipedia seems to think so as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_%28system_on_chip%29

So... any chance of getting 720p video on these devices? Is there a possibility devs could find a way around this, or is this a no-go?

Edited by ozfunghi

Guest dam ZTE

I am using LG Camera. I have in options 720 to choice and it works, at least in 850×480, because the video format change, now is 16:9.

Guest ozfunghi

I am using LG Camera. I have in options 720 to choice and it works, at least in 850×480, because the video format change, now is 16:9.

So you're saying you get 850x480? But that still is 480p, not 720p... yet it is better than the stock 640x480(?) of course, but still no 720p.

Edited by ozfunghi

Guest dam ZTE

So you're saying you get 850x480? But that still is 480p, not 720p... yet it is better than the stock 640x480(?) of course, but still no 720p.

I just say that i really dont know, because only i have the videos in the phone and i cant see the real resolution (or i dont know how...)

Guest ozfunghi

The G510, in the Vodafone UK stock ROM at least, appears to have a problem with video encoding. It skips frames and generally produces very poor quality at resolutions over 640x480 - hence the stock camera app being limited to this.

Example: https://www.dropbox..../VIDEO00002.mp4

So it is possible to get a resolution of 720p? But while sacrificing framerate? I guess this video was made with a different app? If so, could you tell me which one?

Edited by ozfunghi

Guest ZolaIII

The msm 4 play socket on both phones have video specification of 1280 x 480 the XWVGA! The Adreno 203 is actually Adreno 200 on steroids (same driver). Main problem is that Huawei didn't put a recording support for H263 mpeg4 format bat only H264.I think that whit the H263 support in kernel the HD recording is posable based on me tests whit HD playback & PAL transcoding...

Guest Simon O

Well.. no chance in hell of this phone ever doing 720p recording. It can't even manage 480p properly. Rather low framerate :(

Example I recorded today

Guest ZolaIII

I just tried LGcamera app and managed to get good video quality in 864 * 480 resolution bi using h263 video codec and 8 Mb /s whit fluid no dropped 30 frame's! & this is on a under clocked Y300! I em certain that whit proper usage of Neons & removed firmware limitation to p480 it's possible to achieve p720 recoding capabilities!

It's shame that the development of LGcamera app is discontinued!

Edited by ZolaIII

Guest ZolaIII

I just tried Snap Camera HDR! It's a young camera app full futured one whit: HDR, burst, auto focus, effects, gallery, video player & so on! In one word all!

Whit this app i who's able to shoot a HD 720p video! The colors and clarity where fine bat unfortunately the app at this stage don't support video format choosing so frame rate whose poor because Huawei put sistem default one to be the H264!

The app is great & the author has a trade on xda. Funny thing is that there are a two versions of app the paid one & the free one! The free one is full futured as paid one bat it will only work if the phone has no net connection!?? Paid one is 1,33$ on market i don't know is it possible to bay it directly from website for 1$?

As i see it we have two choices to write complains to Huawei to fix the firmware to default H263 encoding (which they must because it's a big problem) or ask nicely over on xda for autor to add this option (which is good for him because it's important one)! Probably the better one is to ask autor!

Guest Combat Gerbil

Right... been doing some video testing this morning.. Using LGcamera, you can get 720 recording and playback... BUT... the framerate is a miserable 13fps in good light and only 3.7mb bitrate.

at 800x480 in LGcamera you get 19fps and 9.8mb bitrate ,640x480 in LGcamera you get 24fps and 10mb bitrate, using default Camera at 640x480 29fps and 5mb bitrate. The framerates vary slightly in varying light as it's sunny today and been testing indoors.

I did try 864x480 resolution using h263 video codec and 8 Mb bitrate but shows no fps in properties so unsure at this stage. I'll try using this setting in daily use and see how it goes.

Guest ZolaIII

Right... been doing some video testing this morning.. Using LGcamera, you can get 720 recording and playback... BUT... the framerate is a miserable 13fps in good light and only 3.7mb bitrate.

at 800x480 in LGcamera you get 19fps and 9.8mb bitrate ,640x480 in LGcamera you get 24fps and 10mb bitrate, using default Camera at 640x480 29fps and 5mb bitrate. The framerates vary slightly in varying light as it's sunny today and been testing indoors.

I did try 864x480 resolution using h263 video codec and 8 Mb bitrate but shows no fps in properties so unsure at this stage. I'll try using this setting in daily use and see how it goes.

Look at the file info on pc! I didn't get the LG camera working on HD 720p & i got a full NTSC frame rate bi 864x480 resolution (29,97) same bitrate!

Guest Nickyteen

Hi friends....

try Camera360 or Snap Camera,much better photos. For videos LG camera ok,but for me Snap camera is better. ;)

Guest Simon O

Been playing with the stock Jelly Bean camera and it's recording 480p H.264 video at 25fps. Much better than the Huawei camera.

Guest ZolaIII

I did some tests whit new Snap camera hdr 3.2.1!

Putting the camcorder settings to 864*480 & video codec to H263 i got fully fluid video capture with full ntsc (29,97) frame rate, the bit rate set to 8 Mb/s produced finale average bit rate of 4,4 - 6,2 Mb/s depending of the scene & motion.

I monitored the cpu utilization whit the system monitor app & it varied from 50 - 60%.

This testings where made whit Y300 - 100 model on max cpu frequency of 1008 MHz!

After this i made a calculation of the needed cpu powered or the encoding of the HD 720p resolution based on same quality. The HD have 2,32 times more pixels so it would need the same amount of cpu power to encode! So it cud be expected that the msm8225 cud handle 720p at pal frame rate & ntsc when O. Cd.

The funny thing is that recording over 480p is supported only in H264 format & this hardware is not capable of handling it properly!

The test can be repeated whit specified software!

• 4 months later...

i was able to record 720p video using mod media_profile.xml shared at htcmania..  im not using any app.. just stock camera app.. 

feel free to watch/download my sample video.. poorly recorded video... :ph34r:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WwU9m4sQvI

Edited by RXZ

Guest ozfunghi

i was able to record 720p video using mod media_profile.xml shared at htcmania..  im not using any app.. just stock camera app.. 

feel free to watch/download my sample video.. poorly recorded video... :ph34r:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WwU9m4sQvI

I'm guessing that's running on a rooted phone. Do you believe the framerate/quality is better than using the Snap Camera HDR app?