2GB 'Internal SD Card' - any way to reallocate it?

Guest newfold3r

Guest newfold3r

When I purchased my G300, I assumed that the 4GB internal storage referred to the space that you could install apps in. However, I quickly realised that this was allocated to many different things, one of which was the 'Internal SD Card', which is a 2GB storage area which is emulated as an SD card, which is replaced by the real SD card when inserted, so most apps won't be able to see it.

It annoys me how my phone has a 2GB storage area which is 95% unusable (I've stored a few things there which I can access via File Managers, but most apps won't know it's there).

I was wondering if there was any possible way that I could reallocate this storage so that I could use it for installing apps on to? My phone is rooted.

Guest Frankish

On HTC Sensation they made use of unused space by create a swap on it. Hard swap faster than a normal sd card. It worked great really improved some roms speed and kept apps in memory much longer.

Guest newfold3r

If you have init.d support on your rom then have a look at this.http://www.modaco.co...cm10cm101-0312/

Sorry about the lack of replies, I've been very busy this week.

Also, I don't really have too much of an idea about rooting, and I don't have a clue about whether my rom supports init.d. AFAIK, I'm running the stock rom, but I do have root. I rooted my phone with the method described here:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/353386-how-to-root-your-huawei-ascend-g300-for-windows-mac-and-linux/

Also, is there any chance that these apps could brick my device? Some of the reviews on the Play store seem to suggest this.

Guest Rico_89

If you used that method I'm guessing you're still on Gingerbread? Or maybe you applied that method on GB and then upgraded to ICS? In which case you no longer have root and will need to root the ICS way,, dead easy though.

If you're on a stock rom then you won't have init.d support so the scripts and mods, like the one in the thread I linked to, won't work although you'll probably have to upgrade to ICS for that anyway. I've never added init.d support so maybe someone that has will tell you how .. or you could ask another question. However I've never heard of someone bricking a G300 using the processes described in this thread.. so I don't think there are any more inherent risks in doing this than anything else on your phone.

Guest oldfella

suggest you install stock+ .

This comes with all you need, its a great ICS rom, and there is an addon for Link2Int which allows usage of the 2 Gig for storage of apps.

Guest newfold3r

suggest you install stock+ . http://www.modaco.co...-updated-06-03/

This comes with all you need, its a great ICS rom, and there is an addon for Link2Int which allows usage of the 2 Gig for storage of apps.

That looks like quite a good rom, but with it being based on the stock ics, does it come with any of the problems that the stock rom does?

Also, is there an easy way to back up my apps and app data? I've tried both TiBu and es file manager, TiBu just stops halfway through, and ES just copies a lot of empty folders :(

Guest The Soup Thief

Easiest way if your phone isn't rooted would be to use Helium from google play (it was called carbon til recently) by Koushik Dutta. Install it on your phone, follow the directions and install the companion application on your pc and it'll let you backup & restore apps even without root. Very clever.

Of course, is loads less hassle of you already have root (with the same app or else with Titanium or similar)

Guest newfold3r

Easiest way if your phone isn't rooted would be to use Helium from google play (it was called carbon til recently) by Koushik Dutta. Install it on your phone, follow the directions and install the companion application on your pc and it'll let you backup & restore apps even without root. Very clever.

Of course, is loads less hassle of you already have root (with the same app or else with Titanium or similar)

Unfortunately, Helium isn't compatible with anything lower than ICS :( but I'm currently re-running TiBu and it appears to be working a bit better now so it may work this time.

If I try installing the stock+ rom, is there any risk that it could go wrong and brick my phone so that it's unrecoverable? I can afford to replace it if I break it, but I can't really afford to be without a phone until I can get a replacement.

And if I install stock+ and I don't like it, would it be possible to re-flash the stock rom?

Guest oldfella

once you have CWM in recovery you can flash whatever you want. Suggest you install the quick boot app, it makes it a lot easier to reboot into recovery.

I think the risks are very low - just make sure you check the md5 of the rom before flashing.

Guest newfold3r

Managed to get stock+ installed eventually, I rushed it a bit and ended up soft bricking the device at one point.

I do like this rom though, and I've now used TiBu and MyPhoneExplorer to restore my device to exactly how it was before :)

However, I never managed to get Link2SD to work. Is there any possible way to edit the partitions on the device, so the /data partition is about 2.5gb and the internal SD is a few mb?

Guest Rico_89

I don't know if you're still on GB or ICS, but you really should install Clock Work Mod and make a Nandroid backup before you attempt anything on your phone.

Guest newfold3r

I don't know if you're still on GB or ICS, but you really should install Clock Work Mod and make a Nandroid backup before you attempt anything on your phone.

I'm on stock+ ics now. And I have a nandroid backup of my gingerbread installation (stock) and my ics after I managed to get everything restored.

Guest Rico_89

Ok then check this out : http://www.modaco.com/topic/360912-tweak-supreme-trilogy-script/

.. now the link itself is unimportant to you but he suggests that the app "Pimp My Rom" has an option to add init.d support. If it works then you just need to follow the steps here;http://www.modaco.com/topic/359125-mod-link2int-v11-use-2gb-internal-as-app-storage-tested-with-cm9cm10cm101-0312/

Guest newfold3r

I spoke too soon when I said I liked this rom, I've just tried playing cut the rope, and my phone froze twice forcing me to remove the battery. Also, when I received a phone call, it just came up with the number, and not the contact name!

These issues are going to be difficult to live with, so I'm considering restoring my gingerbread image to the phone. Am I correct in thinking that it's as simple as going on 'restore' on cwm recovery? Or would I need to do something else first?

Guest Rico_89

Why not just use stock ICS for now.

Try this stock version of ICS, B952: just flash it in CWM: http://www.modaco.com/topic/359774-ics-repack-403-b952-u8815-worldwide-release-rom/page__hl__%20b952

If you don't have have notification toggles after install then just use "Power Toggles". This is the rom I'm using with the Sony Xperia launcher and my G300 has never been better.

Also before you install any rom from CWM it's best to do full wipes;

1.wipe factory

2.wipe cache

3.go to mounts and storage .

4.format system,format cache,format data.

5.go back to advanced

6.wipe dalvik ,wipe battery stats .

7.install rom

8.reboot.

...wip battery might not be possible on some versions of CWM.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To downgrade don't just restore your GB; first use the correct zip here to downgrade: http://www.modaco.com/topic/361310-downgrade-upgrade-from-recovery/

.. then you should be able to use your backup of GB.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone know how to browse the 2GB internal SD card on Gingerbread with ES File explorer etc.? It seems to be a lot more hidden on GB compared to ICS+. Thanks.

(Not really related to this, but i didnt want to make a whole new thread)

Does anyone know how to browse the 2GB internal SD card on Gingerbread with ES File explorer etc.? It seems to be a lot more hidden on GB compared to ICS+. Thanks.

(Not really related to this, but i didnt want to make a whole new thread)

I knew that somebody had asked this but thought it was here:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/360995-romgb237-miui-cm7-bi-baseband-bonus-one-joyos-gb-rom-on-2030-baseband/page-8#entry2190559

However does that help at all?