EMUI - Nova Launcher

Guest Martin__S

Guest Martin__S

Considering getting a 510 for our daughter but I'm a bit put off by the reports of the EMUI.

Can't you just install a custom launcher such as Nova or does it run much deeper than that ?

Thanks

Martin.

Guest Andymac1969

Considering getting a 510 for our daughter but I'm a bit put off by the reports of the EMUI.

Can't you just install a custom launcher such as Nova or does it run much deeper than that ?

Thanks

Martin.

Hi Martin,

you can install Nova or any other Launcher then just set it as default, I have it set as my default launcher

Any other questions, just fire away

Regards

Andrew

post-407498-0-76720700-1367394775_thumb.

post-407498-0-62747000-1367394786_thumb.

Guest Voxpop2011

A launcher is a good idea - mine is Go - as you can pretty much get your device to look and behave as you like.

Guest KenBW2

ADW Launcher here. Not for any good reason, I consider it to be a stopgap until we can have AOSP and/or CyanogenMod and we can use the default launcher. If Huawei ever get their arses in gear that is

Guest Martin__S

Thanks. I thought as much, just wondered why such a fuss was being made about EMUI and suspected it ran much deeper than just replacing the launcher.

Guest Andymac1969

Thanks. I thought as much, just wondered why such a fuss was being made about EMUI and suspected it ran much deeper than just replacing the launcher.

I get the impression that a lot of the review sites have had there noses put out of place by this phone, 4.5" screen Jelly Bean, Dual Core etc etc, and the only argument they have against it is the EMUI, which takes all of 30 seconds to remove and replace with a stock Android feel.

I cannot believe that they are comparing the G510 to HTC One's and Lumia 920 phones which cost 3-4 times more than this, for what it is, this is a fantastic phone, lovely large display, capable of doing everything that I want it to do, it has Jelly Bean on it which is the best Android version yet, OK it's not the sexiest phone, it's not as thin as a piece of tissue paper, and it isn't going to survive being dropped down the bog, but do I care? NO, what it is, is a highly capable phone at a price point that a lot of people can access easier than the £400-500 for the slim sexy phones.

Guest Voxpop2011

The reviewers should just concentrate on giving us relevant information rather than comparing apples with oranges.

For £130 you get a zippy phone with a large screen and, for those you care about this stuff, Twitter and facebook. It will also make and receive calls, send text, connect to the internet and handle emails. So what's not to like?

Instal a launcher and make it the default. The customisations installed by Huawei and Vodafone will still be there, but you can forget about them and get on with using the phone the way you want.

Guest Martin__S

and of course root it and pop a custom AOSP rom on it when available.

I've been looking around at the spanish and chinese actvity and from what I can see there are roms available, but I'll wait until some other people have done some work on the UK voda variant before I go down that route.

Thanks for the advice.

Daughters birthday pressie sorted :)

Guest ZolaIII

I have the Y300 model & i think it's better then G510 because of larger battery, the 0.5" difference is not that noticeable & the rest of hardware is the same!

About the moronic reviews around the net not one mentioned the main advantages of Y300 & G510 against the competition that is based on mtk socs & those are DLNA support and gorilla glass!