Tips & Tricks!

Guest Simon O

Guest Simon O

So, I thought I'd start a little thread off. It'll be a collection of tips & tricks for getting the best out of the stock G510.

I'll start with one tip that I've already found to be quite useful. The phone comes with 4GB of storage which is shared up between the ROM, system DATA, app DATA so the actual amount of space left for apps is rather poor. Because of this you may find that several larger apps will just fail to install even after you've added a microSD card.

The phone is rather quirky with regards to storage - as I've found out. The best tip to sorting this out is to insert an 8GB or 16GB microSD card (the bigger the better) - and one that is at least Class 6 - into the phone then open Settings then Storage. Change Default storage location to the SD card and the phone will give you a warning. Accept this warning and wait for the system to set the microSD up for you. Once it has been set up you'll find that the microSD is now your default app storage so anything you install should be movable to the microSD rather than the internal storage.

Until I did this I was finding that it wasn't possible to move any apps to the microSD card. A bug or intentional behavior.. who knows.

Guest Voxpop2011

Thanks for the tip, I am using the 16GB card from my old Skate/OMC and will do as you suggest so that I can move apps to the card.

Guest Simon O

Is there anything to be said for the internal storage having quicker read/write access?

It may do but the limited size is a killer. And if you use a Class 6 or higher microSD card then you won't have any random lock-ups that you get with slower cards.

Guest Simon O

Remove the Huawei lockscreen

Bleugh.. I don't like the Huawei 4-way lockscreen but there isn't an option to select the original stock Jelly Bean lockscreen. Or is there?...

Dead simple this. Open Settings, then Manage Apps, then slide over to All. Find Huawei Unlock, press it then hit the Force Stop button then the Disable button.

Now back in Settings go to Security then Screen lock. Set this to Huawei unlock (trust me here).

Press power button to turn phone off. Turn it back on and hey presto. Stock lockscreen :D

Now you may notice that the lockscreen has a different wallpaper to your homescreen. Easy to change. Open the Themes application then hit Customize Current Theme. Hit Lock Screen then select Use home screen wallpaper. Done!

post-697226-0-77708900-1367573925_thumb.

Guest jimwormold

Now you may notice that the lockscreen has a different wallpaper to your homescreen. Easy to change. Open the Themes application then hit Customize Current Theme. Hit Lock Screen then select Use home screen wallpaper. Done!

Fantastic!

Guest Simon O

Key combos

Recovery: From power off, hold POWER and VOL+

Fastboot: From power off, hold POWER and VOL-

Flashing Huawei updates: from power off, hold POWER and BOTH VOL BUTTONS. You need to have the update folder copied to a microSD card.

Guest Frankish

This phone is shaping up to be a great budget device dying to buy one and BL unlock and stockify it. Not sure i can justify the £130 when i'm trying to save for a new car though hmm!

Guest dcghoul

This phone is shaping up to be a great budget device dying to buy one and BL unlock and stockify it. Not sure i can justify the £130 when i'm trying to save for a new car though hmm!

Paul is selling his for £120 sim unlocked with free UK delivery... go on, you know you want to ;)

Guest moochermick

In build.prop change: ro.config.hw_battery_percent=false to true and get battery percentage.

Note: doesn't replace battery icon, just puts percentage next to it.

Guest KenBW2

In build.prop change: ro.config.hw_battery_percent=false to true and get battery percentage.

Note: doesn't replace battery icon, just puts percentage next to it.

You sir, are a god. Thank you

Guest jimwormold

To get rid of a fair bit of Huawei theming, change

ro.config.hwheme from 1 to 0

Brilliant! Google icons!

In case anyone isn't aware (I wasn't) there are apps for editing build.props which make life very simple compared with attempting to mount the system rw and editing the text in an editor on the screen! If there are better ways let me know.

Guest moochermick

You can get rid of the ""google settings"" icon by freezing ""google play sevices"" i haven't noticed any downside to doing this but if you delete it, it will reload when you go to play store.

Ps. I use link2sd to freeze apps.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest moochermick

DO NOT USE, DOES NOT STICK AFTER REBOOT !

I think i,ve managed to link apps etc. to internal sdcard using link2sd app.

All credit goes to Cyda for his work on g300

Also elperroderoke for his work here.

Plus others around the sorry , sorry i can't remember all names.

1. I Created a folder named sdext2 in /data.

2. I Created a folder named sdext2 on internal sd.

3. I Created a file in /ect/init.d it can be named anything you like.

4.Added the following text to that file.

#!/system/bin/sh

#added by link2sd

LOG=/data/link2sd-11link2sd.log

echo "$(date) mounting..." > $LOG

mount -o bind /mnt/sdcard2/sdext2 /data/sdext2 1>>$LOG 2>>$LOG

mount >> $LOG

echo "$(date) mount finished" >> $LOG

4. Installed link2sd from play store.

5. Rebooted.

Thats it. I can now move apps and data to internal sdcard.

Obviously if you do this, you do it at your own risk!

Edited by moochermick

Guest KenBW2

Brilliant! Google icons!

In case anyone isn't aware (I wasn't) there are apps for editing build.props which make life very simple compared with attempting to mount the system rw and editing the text in an editor on the screen! If there are better ways let me know.

ROM Manager on Google Play has a feature that makes it nice and easy

Guest medinstpro

Remove the Huawei lockscreen

Bleugh.. I don't like the Huawei 4-way lockscreen but there isn't an option to select the original stock Jelly Bean lockscreen. Or is there?...

Dead simple this. Open Settings, then Manage Apps, then slide over to All. Find Huawei Unlock, press it then hit the Force Stop button then the Disable button.

Now back in Settings go to Security then Screen lock. Set this to Huawei unlock (trust me here).

Press power button to turn phone off. Turn it back on and hey presto. Stock lockscreen :D

post-697226-0-77708900-1367573925_thumb.

search string with "lock" in build.prop :)

does anyone know how to edit the shortcuts on the default android lockscreen?

Edited by medinstpro

• 1 month later...
Guest jackosterman

Speaking of Themes, has anyone here successfully uninstalled/frozen HwThemeManager.apk? Not that I'm looking for guinea pigs exactly, but I'll admit I'm a little weary to try myself, not knowing exactly how deep certain aspects of Emotion UI runs within the device.

i don't like the fact that my background is divided in 4 sections (or how ever many pages you have) so does anyone know how i can change that? so i have the same image in the background?