Voxpop2011

Voxpop2011

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Devices:Vodafone Smart 4 mini
and be supported if it goes belly up.

Due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog. [Hitchhiker's guide to the gallery: Douglas Adams]

Badinternet.jpg

The Soup Thief

The Soup Thief

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 5 (N4 etc retired)
  • Twitter:@TheSoupThief
Or if you wanted to stick with Huawei, why not look at this g520 for under £110 - has the mtk 6589 (still only 512mb ram for some reason) http://www.merimobil..._p/meri8998.htm
You have to go up to the G525 to get 1gb ram as far as I can see http://www.merimobil..._p/meri7431.htm
Tbh if I was looking for a cheap phone I'd probably go for that Lenovo a820 mentioned above - I never yet got a good photo with a mobile in the dark so no flash is not a problem. Plus I reckon 5" is a bit too big. More importantly though, Lenovo is huge - it will have a big community - if you can find your way around a Chinese forum!

The Soup Thief

The Soup Thief

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

and be supported if it goes belly up.

Tsk! Where's your sense of adventure! :P
Fwiw, I understand MeriMobiles aren't too bad by comparison with some

Sere83

Sere83

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Tsk! Where's your sense of adventure! :P
Fwiw, I understand MeriMobiles aren't too bad by comparison with some

I dunno heard a few bad reports, type Merimobiles scam in to google. In terms of pure spec/value for money though I think Xiaomi MI2A takes it although its more expensive than these phones. Jiayu G4, iOcean x7 or neo n003 probably the phones to go for in sub £150 category, be luck y to actually find them though as they are all in limited supply.

tillaz

tillaz

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts
  • Interests:Time & Space
  • Devices:Moto X
use Paypal and you can't get scammed.

also, i have personally had two phones and a tablet from merrimobiles

The Soup Thief

The Soup Thief

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
There are reports of bad customer service with them but they mostly seem to come from a few years back - looks like they've upped their game

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,368 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
It's not really fair to compare a UK device, that you can buy over the counter in the UK, with UK support, to a Chinese import...

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

Voxpop2011

Voxpop2011

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
I think the argument is that, potentially, you can get a better phone by going for these 'unknown' Chinese models. The downside will be if you get a lemon or 'break' it when tinkering.

Due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog. [Hitchhiker's guide to the gallery: Douglas Adams]

Badinternet.jpg

Aurimas L.

Aurimas L.

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade, Huawei G300
Too heavy...

ZTE Blade with Swedish Snow RLS7 (Android 2.3.5) @ 691Mhz
Huawei Ascend G300 with CM10 @ 1228Mhz

Combat Gerbil

Combat Gerbil

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G510
Too heavy!!!!??? It's 150 grams, not a chuffing Breeze Block you know...

Voxpop2011

Voxpop2011

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Not a breeze block, agreed. The phone does have a very solid feel though, which I rather like.

Badinternet.jpg

Combat Gerbil

Combat Gerbil

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G510
Absolutely, the rear case is a little creaky though, but Mine is now in a Tough gel type case that makes feel even more solid... and heaven forbid, adds to the weight by a few grams ;-)

Sere83

Sere83

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

It's not really fair to compare a UK device, that you can buy over the counter in the UK, with UK support, to a Chinese import...

P

Yeah for the average consumer its not really a fair comparison at all, but for the the more hardcore the Chinese options are definitely worth investigating I think, amongst the cuagmire of goons there are some reliable exporters out there too. I have a friend out there so If I do manage to get hold of a few units to sell will keep people posted.

george109

george109

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Tech and Canoeing
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S4 - GT-I9505
I think most of these problems could be resolved with a custom ROM, as with my Huawei Ascend G300, every launcher was slow, clunky and kept having to redraw after I quitted an app. Now on Electra (CM10.1) most of the problems have gone! :)
Thanks for this informative and balanced review!

Edited by george109, 08 May 2013 - 05:13 PM.

Hello. I have an S4 now, and I hardly ever use MoDaCo now. 

Therefore you will receive no replies to any PMs

Please post in the forum instead. You will get more help there :)

:excl:A WARNING TO ALL G300 OWNERS! Please Read! (The Flash Memory Problem!) :excl:

Tutorial: How To (Officially) Unlock Your Bootloader! (The long way, but which definitely works)

Please, Do not use the HuaweiG300.com Tutorial on how to unlock your bootloader, it is better to unlock it officially with my tutorial!

Spoiler

My Device:

Huawei Ascend G300 (U8815) - Sold!

Samsung Galaxy S4 (Black) - The LTE Version - GT-I9505

(Ignore the links above (if there is one). It's a skimwords (advertising) link and nothing to do with me!)

The ROMS I have used:

Spoiler

Download Blink, a great app that controls the status LED on the G300!

Wait for 5 seconds and then click skip ad! Do not download anything in the ad window, that is not the app!

Did I help you?

If I did, Please press the rep_up1.png button, in the bottom right hand corner of my posts.

(If not, Press it anyway!)

If I really helped you, you could also donate to me. Thanks!  :) 

Andymac1969

Andymac1969

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Devices:LG G2, Moto G

I think most of these problems could be resolved with a custom ROM, as with my Huawei Ascend G300, every launcher was slow, clunky and kept having to redraw after I quitted an app. Now on Electra (CM10.1) most of the problems have gone! :)
Thanks for this informative and balanced review!

I got rid of my G300 in favor of the G510, trust me it's night and day different, the G510 feels better made, is a fantastic size, and the biggest bonus I have found, is having Jelly Bean out the box, everything works flawlessly, now that we have root and all the bloat has gone, I for one do not regret the move for one second, and I really really liked my G300.

I think some of the Chinese phones look fantastic value, but I just don't fancy the aggro if they go belly up, if the G510 does I just take it to the local Vodafone shop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users