pushed me to far

Guest brit07

Guest brit07

i have made the decision to switch to a more simple way of life i am going to get a windows phone i can not handle the constant ads virus warnings crashes freezes with android apps and games any longer i would rather have no apps than ones that hardly work at all am i alone here?

Guest Andymac1969

Bad move, I have a Nokia Lumia, the OS is great, the apps and user experience are lousy, it just cannot compete with Android, although the base OS is very good, very stable and very fast.

By the way, you will still get the ad virus warnings but on a positive it has never crashed for me.

Guest sang3eta

I have had some problems on a few free apps but find if I close the ad quickly I can get the app running (Raging Thunder etc).

If ads bother you buy the paid for app instead.

There are some apps that don't run on the Intel chip platform and force close (Candy Crush etc.) but that's the fault of lazy programmers not re-compiling for Intel Atom/PowerVR.

If that bothers you pay a bit more for an Arm/Nvidia Tegra phone or give 1 star feedback until they support your chipset! ;D

Edited by sang3eta

Guest glossywhite

If you want simple, secure and virus free... go iOS. There really is NO comparison, "freedom" and customisation are irrelevant to most users (read: 95% of the iPhone userbase). Android is great, but iOS requires VERY little though to use - you can glance at it in a crowded supermarket when you're stressed, and the simple and informative icons say EXACTLY what they are - barely any focus or concentration needed.

I'm sure plenty of Android biased folk will say otherwise, but it simply is a case that most people don't obsess over software like geeks do - their phone is a tool, and an organiser, and I've watched people pick up my Android devices, look confused and slightly lost, ask me "what do I do here?" and then put them down - but nowhere near so much on iOS, because it is pretty, simple (some say "bland"? Well it works - who cares) things are well spaced out, buttons look and *behave* like buttons (Android 4.X+ buttons are often lacking any signs of demarcation, no shadows - just flat areas with text).

I love all platforms, but the one I pine for most when I no longer have it (I sold my 3GS today, which is old - yes, but which became "my friend") is iOS, because it is fluid, simple and does what it was designed to do, without any fuss or frills.

Yes, iOS devices (generally) cost more (well my 3GS was £60, and so what if it wasn't the 'latest and greatest'? It works 1000x better than ANY Android device from 2009, and far better than many that are brand new *now*! I'd buy another in a heartbeat!!) but they move the cleverness and the technology out of the way, so you can focus on what you want to achieve and get it done quickly, then put the phone away in your pocket!

Edited by glossywhite

Guest BlueMoonRising

I suppose it depends on what you're using, for myself I've got no apps that freeze or crash, if I did I would simply look for a better replacement.

Windows phones aren't going to be any different, just less choice in finding a replacement for now at least.

Due to changes at work I actually deleted all the games as that was the only place I played them so can't really comment on them any more.

Guest finbaar

If you want simple, secure and virus free... go iOS. There really is NO comparison, "freedom" and customisation are irrelevant to most users (read: 95% of the iPhone userbase). Android is great, but iOS requires VERY little though to use - you can glance at it in a crowded supermarket when you're stressed, and the simple and informative icons say EXACTLY what they are - barely any focus or concentration needed.

I'm sure plenty of Android biased folk will say otherwise, but it simply is a case that most people don't obsess over software like geeks do - their phone is a tool, and an organiser, and I've watched people pick up my Android devices, look confused and slightly lost, ask me "what do I do here?" and then put them down - but nowhere near so much on iOS, because it is pretty, simple (some say "bland"? Well it works - who cares) things are well spaced out, buttons look and *behave* like buttons (Android 4.X+ buttons are often lacking any signs of demarcation, no shadows - just flat areas with text).

I love all platforms, but the one I pine for most when I no longer have it (I sold my 3GS today, which is old - yes, but which became "my friend") is iOS, because it is fluid, simple and does what it was designed to do, without any fuss or frills.

Yes, iOS devices (generally) cost more (well my 3GS was £60, and so what if it wasn't the 'latest and greatest'? It works 1000x better than ANY Android device from 2009, and far better than many that are brand new *now*! I'd buy another in a heartbeat!!) but they move the cleverness and the technology out of the way, so you can focus on what you want to achieve and get it done quickly, then put the phone away in your pocket!

Well of course your not wrong as you are simply expressing an opinion. But that does not mean your right either.

Firstly I'll grant you the state of Android hardware was not great in 2009 and you can have the point that the 3GS was the best phone around. However the Nexus One was released in January 2010 and was vastly superior to the 3GS in every department from build quality to screen. I would take the N1 over the 3GS.

iOS is just as confusing to the novice as Android. Yes the learning curve is quicker on iOS but that is because there is not as far to go. But the beauty of Android is that even though you can geek out with it you don't need to, just as the vast majority of smartphone users are proving. Most people have realised that Apple = pay more and get less.

Guest Voxpop2011

I have both iPhone and Android and agree with glossywhite that it is a much more stable platform. In constrast the Android experience is more diverse. I like being able to tinker under the bonnet, but I don't like the stock email client - why no push - and the various aftermarket clients are flawed to a greater or lesser extent. I only download functional apps yet there are quite a lot of forced closures and stops. The so-called free apps littered with intrusive apps is another bug bear. Either an app is free (in my mind no ads) or you pay for it. If you are able to root, you can download banner ad blockers.

Guest glossywhite

Well of course your not wrong as you are simply expressing an opinion. But that does not mean your right either.

Firstly I'll grant you the state of Android hardware was not great in 2009 and you can have the point that the 3GS was the best phone around. However the Nexus One was released in January 2010 and was vastly superior to the 3GS in every department from build quality to screen. I would take the N1 over the 3GS.

iOS is just as confusing to the novice as Android. Yes the learning curve is quicker on iOS but that is because there is not as far to go. But the beauty of Android is that even though you can geek out with it you don't need to, just as the vast majority of smartphone users are proving. Most people have realised that Apple = pay more and get less.

The Nexus 1 was never "vastly superior" - it was a badly executed attempt, by Google, to one-up Apple, and it was a miserable failure. There's more to usability than raw hardware specs; my friend had one, I tried it, and it was a complete joke.

Android is great, iOS is great, but iOS is better for the majority, as it is uniform, predictable and quirk-free, mainly. You know what you're getting, you know you'll have superior support, and you know iCloud doesn't take a computer science degree and downloadable apps to setup and have working. Also, iTunes backup of your device is infinitely more user-transparent and effective than "hold down the VOL + key, whilst standing on one leg + pressing power + a black screen will appear and...."

iOS is iOS, and an iPhone is an iPhone is an iPhone, and when you've questions about build quality and UI usability, you don't need to quote some obscure, arbitrary numeric model number to someone, asking about the availability and features, as the devices are ubiquitous, and asking if an iPhone is easy to use, is like asking if the sun rises in the morning, or whether pigs have trotters.

"Most people have realised that Apple = pay more and get less."

When something works well and effeciently, why do you need another 5 ways to do it? It is only "less" if you find yourself lacking the basic functionality of a smart phone, and you have to realise that most people just want to text, call, send email and tweet, not SSH into NASA and launch a rocket over bash, while compiling an ARM kernel on their SD card.

If your life is made simpler by learning iOS keyboard and the clean, uniform way in which it works and predicts (very, VERY well indeed), why would you need to go and download a bewildering array of add-on keyboards? That clearly shows that the Android keyboard wasn't designed properly in the first place, if so, as you're looking for better - why would any sane person want to spend their life finish off the job that was Google's to get right for its' users?

They're different, because we're all different, so use what makes your life easiest, I'd say, and for me that is iPhone :)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest finbaar

The Nexus 1 was never "vastly superior" - it was a badly executed attempt, by Google, to one-up Apple, and it was a miserable failure. There's more to usability than raw hardware specs; my friend had one, I tried it, and it was a complete joke.

Android is great, iOS is great, but iOS is better for the majority, as it is uniform, predictable and quirk-free, mainly. You know what you're getting, you know you'll have superior support, and you know iCloud doesn't take a computer science degree and downloadable apps to setup and have working. Also, iTunes backup of your device is infinitely more user-transparent and effective than "hold down the VOL + key, whilst standing on one leg + pressing power + a black screen will appear and...."

iOS is iOS, and an iPhone is an iPhone is an iPhone, and when you've questions about build quality and UI usability, you don't need to quote some obscure, arbitrary numeric model number to someone, asking about the availability and features, as the devices are ubiquitous, and asking if an iPhone is easy to use, is like asking if the sun rises in the morning, or whether pigs have trotters.

"Most people have realised that Apple = pay more and get less."

When something works well and effeciently, why do you need another 5 ways to do it? It is only "less" if you find yourself lacking the basic functionality of a smart phone, and you have to realise that most people just want to text, call, send email and tweet, not SSH into NASA and launch a rocket over bash, while compiling an ARM kernel on their SD card.

If your life is made simpler by learning iOS keyboard and the clean, uniform way in which it works and predicts (very, VERY well indeed), why would you need to go and download a bewildering array of add-on keyboards? That clearly shows that the Android keyboard wasn't designed properly in the first place, if so, as you're looking for better - why would any sane person want to spend their life finish off the job that was Google's to get right for its' users?

They're different, because we're all different, so use what makes your life easiest, I'd say, and for me that is iPhone :)

Of course the N1 was better than the 3GS. You know that.

In what way is any of the current stock android keyboard inferior to the iOS offering? You don't need another keyboard in Android, but hey guess what you CAN if you want. And how is choice a bad thing? The vast majority have chosen Android are they all geeks? If people only need calls and SMS then a feature phone like WP8 would suite them. Anything else is covered by Android. I can't see any place for iOS.

Guest finbaar

I have both iPhone and Android and agree with glossywhite that it is a much more stable platform. In constrast the Android experience is more diverse. I like being able to tinker under the bonnet, but I don't like the stock email client - why no push - and the various aftermarket clients are flawed to a greater or lesser extent. I only download functional apps yet there are quite a lot of forced closures and stops. The so-called free apps littered with intrusive apps is another bug bear. Either an app is free (in my mind no ads) or you pay for it. If you are able to root, you can download banner ad blockers.

What is wrong with are in free apps? Do you expect deva to work for free.

Guest glossywhite

Of course the N1 was better than the 3GS. You know that.

In what way is any of the current stock android keyboard inferior to the iOS offering? You don't need another keyboard in Android, but hey guess what you CAN if you want. And how is choice a bad thing? The vast majority have chosen Android are they all geeks? If people only need calls and SMS then a feature phone like WP8 would suite them. Anything else is covered by Android. I can't see any place for iOS.

"Of course the N1 was better than the 3GS. You know that."

No, you just want me to agree with you, and I don't.

"I can't see any place for iOS."

It's a good thing that you're not the CEO of Apple then, as they seem to have made it rather successful, if you want the understatement of the decade.

With all respect, you sound like a Phandroid, and compound that even more when you say "I can't see any place for iOS" - are you serious? iOS came first - Apple did it first, and it is *because* they made such a simple and **revolutionary** device, that Android and other copycats were spawned.

Enjoy Android, and I'll enjoy ALL platforms - I'm using Android now, but when people say Android is "better" or simpler, I just have to laugh really.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Ashbeard

Apple make things too simple. Look how long it took them to get multitasking, decent notifications and a decent camera. Meanwhile everything else "just works" because they strip away almost all functions but the most basic. Those who don't know any better don't know what Apple have left out, and perhaps won't ever need to know, but it doesn't excuse the premium Apple charge on every device.

I have an iPhone 4 as well as my San Diego and the iPhone is slow in comparison, especially when it comes to multitasking, Double tapping the home button and moving through a small list of icons is an awful way to do things. The screen is small and wastes space because all the buttons have to be drawn on screen for numpties. The keyboard is very basic and has an awful spell checker.

If your friends took five minutes longer to look at an Android device they would soon find it's easier to use than an iPhone if you are willing to learn just some simple rules. Kind of like how learning some keyboard shortcuts can really speed up how you use your desktop computer. Same applies to a Windows phone.

Apple design for fashion victims. They appeal to the tastes of those people with plenty of money to spend who love to buy clothes and think the prettiest item is always the best.

Guest glossywhite

Apple make things too simple. Look how long it took them to get multitasking, decent notifications and a decent camera. Meanwhile everything else "just works" because they strip away almost all functions but the most basic. Those who don't know any better don't know what Apple have left out, and perhaps won't ever need to know, but it doesn't excuse the premium Apple charge on every device.

I have an iPhone 4 as well as my San Diego and the iPhone is slow in comparison, especially when it comes to multitasking, Double tapping the home button and moving through a small list of icons is an awful way to do things. The screen is small and wastes space because all the buttons have to be drawn on screen for numpties. The keyboard is very basic and has an awful spell checker.

If your friends took five minutes longer to look at an Android device they would soon find it's easier to use than an iPhone if you are willing to learn just some simple rules. Kind of like how learning some keyboard shortcuts can really speed up how you use your desktop computer. Same applies to a Windows phone.

Apple design for fashion victims. They appeal to the tastes of those people with plenty of money to spend who love to buy clothes and think the prettiest item is always the best.

Do you know what sounds more silly than a fanboy? An anti-fanboy. Your comments are biased ramblings of someone with no respect for the personal choices of others, and you really could have just said nothing at all - that would have been more prudent.

Hey, if you want things to be more complicated than they need to be, fill your boots!

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Ashbeard

Do you know what sounds more silly than a fanboy? An anti-fanboy. Your comments are biased ramblings of someone with no respect for the personal choices of others, and you really could have just said nothing at all - that would have been more prudent.

Hey, if you want things to be more complicated than they need to be, fill your boots!

I would respect their choices if they respected mine. They don't understand how these things work, and their preferences set the prices. Apple's margins are enormous, they have the minority of the market share and the majority of the profits because of people who think spending money makes them special.

What's this "need" you talk about. iPhone users have no clue what is out there until Apple shows it to them, then all of a sudden they find they "need" it. It's a simple strategy Apple have, and very effective, but it doesn't mean it is "better". And when we look at Apple's prices that is what is inferred. "It's ok to be ignorant, in fact, it makes you cooler if you really don't know how this thing works. Spend your money, feel superior to someone who only spent 1/4 of what you spent."

And you are a prime example of this. Your preferences are so popular that you have trouble understanding that they aren't "The best" as you have argued in this thread. But it's like saying McDonalds are the best food or Justin Bieber is the best singer.

I wouldn't give a s*** how many people bought iPhones if they didn't just default to "Pretty is best, I'll pay more for that".

Edited by Ashbeard

Guest glossywhite

I would respect their choices if they respected mine. They don't understand how these things work, and their preferences set the prices. Apple's margins are enormous, they have the minority of the market share and the majority of the profits because of people who think spending money makes them special.

What's this "need" you talk about. iPhone users have no clue what is out there until Apple shows it to them, then all of a sudden they find they "need" it. It's a simple strategy Apple have, and very effective, but it doesn't mean it is "better". And when we look at Apple's prices that is what is inferred. "It's ok to be ignorant, in fact, it makes you cooler if you really don't know how this thing works. Spend your money, feel superior to someone who only spent 1/4 of what you spent."

And you are a prime example of this. Your preferences are so popular that you have trouble understanding that they aren't "The best" as you have argued in this thread. But it's like saying McDonalds are the best food or Justin Bieber is the best singer.

I wouldn't give a s*** how many people bought iPhones if they didn't just default to "Pretty is best, I'll pay more for that".

Take a holiday man, you sound like you need it. Stop caring so much about what the rest of the world does - you'll have a calmer life :)

iPhone works for many hundreds of millions of people, and the same applies for Android. If you like Android, that's super, but liking something doesn't mean you have to **dislike** everything else which isn't it - you sound pretty ignorant, and I am sure you know better than that really.

[EDIT]

Let me tell you a story about me, how I was about four or so years ago. I used to feel as if I had to somehow "justify" my decisions to other people, with regards to choices of platform. One month I was obsessing over Mac OS X, the next week it was Ubuntu, and, passively, I'd deride and bad-mouth anything which *wasn't* my current platform of choice, for that given time (LOL! :D). I couldn't simply accept that ALL technology is comprised of amazing and marvellous feats of human ingenuity, I was SO blinded by the current feature(s) I had just discovered about "X" platform, that I felt compelled to dismiss ALL others, merely because they weren't *exactly* like that... I was insecure, and desperate for people to acknowledge my choice and side with me, and then irritated and resentful/sarcastic about their choices, when they didn't simply jump to attention and agree with me.

Oh, and the above behaviour extended to Android & iOS also, and was equally as one-sided and utterly pointless.

I don't know you at all, but the way in which you are speaking is ***exactly*** how I used to speak - it is not because you dislike the other person - me - it is because I am not walking directly down your path, knocking on your door, and joining your ego party, (with respect).

I see the old me, in how you are, which is why I thought I would offer you this look back at how I was, and warn you that this is how you are coming across to me, and tell you that I am not hurt, upset or offended by you, but in kindness I feel I ought to point out that you do sound VERY biased and blinded by your own opinions - that's okay, so long as you don't want to get on with people in life, and I am sure you're a fantastic person, and you deserve better than to be "hated" by people, online.

We all have strong opinions - I may sound like that too, at times - and if I do, IGNORE it!

Take care, Matt. :)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Ashbeard

You still aren't getting it. It's the prices. Prices. That goes beyond their own preference and now affects the field of technology. Apple have one way of doing things and if it's popular that's fine. It should not be a case then of Apple being allowed to charge a whole lot more because of people who want to remain ignorant. I have an iPhone but its flaws are plain to me because I use my phone a lot. People who are less interested don't see these flaws, because they know no better. Why are their preferences setting the prices and thus giving Apple the leverage to sue everyone else out of business? An iPhone is not "better", but the prices are suggesting that they are.

Guest glossywhite

You still aren't getting it. It's the prices. Prices. That goes beyond their own preference and now affects the field of technology. Apple have one way of doing things and if it's popular that's fine. It should not be a case then of Apple being allowed to charge a whole lot more because of people who want to remain ignorant. I have an iPhone but its flaws are plain to me because I use my phone a lot. People who are less interested don't see these flaws, because they know no better. Why are their preferences setting the prices and thus giving Apple the leverage to sue everyone else out of business? An iPhone is not "better", but the prices are suggesting that they are.

Listen, each of have money in life, and we choose what to buy with it. If you choose an iPhone, that's your choice, and if you choose to spend less on something else, that's *also* your choice.

We all have choice - move on.

Guest Biohead

I'm not being funny, but anyone who groups all iPhone users together as one group need shooting.

I don't buy an iPhone because of it's status. I buy it for what it can do, how it suits me and most of all, the support for it. Support in terms of devs developing for it, it being compatible with other devices (audio terms mainly) and of course, that Apple Warranty. Anyone who's ever used it will know just how important that is (although I have to say, my missus had a very good dealing with Nokia when her Lumia 710 stopped charging - had to send it off but it got replaced within 3 days!).

Infact, the only thing I'd want from Android thats not it iOS would be NFC... and considering I can't set my OSD up so I can pay for food on the go (my only use for NFC) it can't be said I can do that on Android either. Or if I can, it's far to complex to setup - which is another major point of the iPhone. At one point I would have absolutely blasted it for being too simple and not being customisable, but now I understand how important that is - particularly when you don't have the time to spend hours on end setting things up.

I understand a lot of iPhone users really do buy it simply because it's an iPhone... but for those of us that can actually use it, and use all the "hidden" features please don't group us as one. You'd be amazed how many iPhone users ask what I've done to my 4S because the camera flash goes off when I get a message. I just turned the feature on - things like that show that yes, the majority of iPhone users just buy it for it's status - but there are some of us who don't.

Cost isn't a factor here. An iPhone is a high-end device. There's no denying that. So I guess in your eyes no one should be buying the Galaxy S 4 (£580), Blackberry Z10 (£500+), Blackberry Q10 (£550), HTC One (£490). Infact, do you know what top end devices usually sell for? Nokia 9500, was around £400 - 10 years ago. With inflation, that puts that price bang in line with todays top end phones. Same with the SE P800, XDA series etc etc etc.

And I'm sorry, but until they break down the market share better it's a wholly unfair comparison to say Android has more share. Have you seen how many crappy devices come with Android nowadays? Most of them still running Gingerbread too. Gingerbread accounts for over a third of current android handsets alone - you telling me you want to compare them to the iPhone? You mad!? It's the thousands of those that are shipping which account for the majority of Android sales, and not the high end devices that are competing with the iPhone.