88 replies to this topic

pen69mod

pen69mod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Should it be taking so long?
Started 10 mins ago.
Pink bar has been stuck at about 1/3 way through for last 8 mins.

Update: Now about 20 mins.

Edited by pen69mod, 29 May 2013 - 05:18 AM.

vhristenco

vhristenco

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Devices:G300
that usually means "update failed".
unfortunately, you'll have to go all the way to the beginning of the tutorial.

sorry mate, this is what happens when you restore ics apps to gb.

repeat feom step 1 (this time you may skip IMEI backup. you still have it, don't you?) and make sure you don't restore anything after taking all the steps.

pen69mod

pen69mod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Damn, that's annoying!
Ok, I'll try going through it again.
I really appreciate your guidance. Thanks.

If you don't mind, can you keep an eye on this thread.

If I don't get the thing working (I'll probably have a shot at it later today), I would appreciate picking your brains for which course of action to pursue next.

Cheers bro.

vhristenco

vhristenco

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
well, if you follow the steps in this tutorial, everything will work.

I recommend you to upgrade via OTA all the way from B882 to B895. And, of course, NEVER restore any baked-up apps.

I'll keep an eye on this thread.

pen69mod

pen69mod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Hi again vhristenco.

As you’re aware, I know very little regarding androids etc, but is it possible you have uploaded the wrong files?
I only say this because I’ve just noticed (half way through after still having trouble getting the pink bar to reach the end) that the lock screen looks like the one here on cyanogenmod 7:- http://www.modaco.co...nogenmod-7-rom/
Posted Image
with a lock symbol on the left, and the sound control on the right.
And in settings, as well as the settings icon, there is a Hammer/Spanner symbol that says Home Settings, where there is Theme Settings & Home settings.
This is some kind of mod isn’t it? I know I’ve not seen that on this phone since I’ve had it.

Could this be what’s causing the issues?
If so, could you advise me what to do know?
Cheers.

vhristenco

vhristenco

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Actually that's the default Android GB Lockscreen (google "android default lockscreen" for images and see for yourself)
Vodafone, among other apps, installed a new lockscreen called "PotterUnlock". The one with 4 directions (camera, messages, etc). Also, they disabled "Home settings" in the menu.
You can always revert to stock unlocker anytime. Also, if you delete one single file, you'll revert to default boot-screen animation.

Anyway, I don't think it's related to your problem.
Most likely, the apps you restored from an ICS backup are causing the trouble. That's why I said NEVER restore apps from ICS to GB. Consider yourself lucky if your phone started-up after you did that :)

Edited by vhristenco, 29 May 2013 - 09:12 AM.

pen69mod

pen69mod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Fair enough. I accept I was being dumb about the lock-screen. Because I had Vodafone branded GB before installing unbranded ICS, I have never seen the default Android lock-screen. :unsure:

Anyway I used the "middle package" from the Huawei site, included in their downgrade instructions for ICS versions B936 & B937 only, and it completed really quick. (remember that I was on B952, which is why I didn't take that option initially.)
So I went ahead and used their ICS to GB downgrade file, and everything worked very smoothly.
Wifi is working as it should, which is a big relief. :)

But now there is a different issue. A BIG ISSUE!
I cannot restore my IMEI, which is obviously crucial.
I’m at Step 6, where I launch GingerbreadRoot.exe.
It goes through the process as it should, although when it successfully reaches the end and says that the phone will reboot, it just stays on, with the Huawei logo on screen. I believe it done this on all occasions for me, but on this occasion I'm not getting the SuperSu app installed.

So I pull battery, start phone, go in and launch ToolBox5iromV1.0.4.2.apk and press Backup IMEI, and it says No Root Privileges, which is fair enough because I cannot see the SuperSu app in the app drawer.
I have my IMEI files (5irom) backed up and ready to go.

What do you think? How do I get the SuperSu app on the phone. I thought that launching GingerbreadRoot should install it.
How do I get my IMEI back on the phone.

Thanks man.

vhristenco

vhristenco

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Shutdown the phone, remove the battery, wait for 3 seconds, re-inser the battery then power the phone while keeping Volume UP pressed. It will take you to recovery.
From recovery, select "Reboot system". That will give you SuperSu.

EDIT: Or try the method explined HERE

Edited by vhristenco, 29 May 2013 - 11:23 AM.

pen69mod

pen69mod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Hey, thanks vhristenco.
Your method above worked, and I am back on GB. With wifi. Woohoo. Yessssss!! :)
I have to work out how to get all my apps back on, without using the HiSuite backups, but that can wait for now. I'm just chuffed that the phone is working again.
I must admit, when I signed into google play, I was expecting to see a list of all the free apps i've downloaded ready to be downloaded again, but I can't see any.
But now the phone is sorted, I can work on that in my own time. No rush.

Although I'm still definitely a novice, I think I've picked up some good experience during this upgrade/downgrade.
Thanks again man. ;)
Pen.

vhristenco

vhristenco

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
You're welcome!

P.S. 1: you'll see that list only after you update Google Play on your phone (launch it and it will automatically update)

P.S. 2.: you can always sign in to google play from your pc and reinstall previously used apps with just a few clicks ;)

Enjoy!

Edited by vhristenco, 29 May 2013 - 02:44 PM.

pen69mod

pen69mod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Ah one more question, or two.
Has this downgrade left my phone "rooted", and should I leave that SuperSu app on the phone
What does rooted actually mean, and what advantages/disadvantages does that bring?
And if I found that for some reason that I wanted or needed to change that status back to "unrooted", could it be done & how would I do that?

Ok, that was 3 questions. :P
Well I need to take a nap after all that.
Have a good day man.

vhristenco

vhristenco

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
After flashing B895, the phone became un-rooted. To root it see step 6.
Rooting will give you full permissions for all the system files (you'll be able to install/uninstall system apps, change system apps, etc.
SuperSu has an option to revert to stock (remove root) that.you might to check out (or not).

blackanchorage

blackanchorage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Excellent description, no problems downgrading. I found ICS to be really slow. I had the same problem in step 6 (phone did not reboot) but rebooting into recovery made it ok.

Thank you!

EDIT: I spoke too soon, after a couple of OTA updates, I too lost wi-fi.

Edited by blackanchorage, 08 June 2013 - 10:36 AM.

vhristenco

vhristenco

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
what country are you in?

blackanchorage

blackanchorage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
UK. I have repeated the process, this time going straight to B895 in step 5, and it looks good now.

Thanks again

Caskarut

Caskarut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300
Shouldnt this do the trick without messing with your IMEI?

Edited by Caskarut, 22 June 2013 - 11:20 PM.

vhristenco

vhristenco

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I already tried that, but after I downgraded, OTA updates didn't work anymore.
Plus, that's for B895 only.

Caskarut

Caskarut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300
Is there a changelog for the gb versions? I have no idea where the low volume issue is fixed. I have both low volume during incoming calls und a low mic...

vhristenco

vhristenco

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
The 'low volume' issue is fixed with B888.
As for the changelog... it's up to Voda. So NO WAY!

goodster

goodster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:huawei g300
Hi,

First thanks for the great instructions, I've managed to downgrade fine, although now I can't connect to my network 'giffgaff'.

Would this possibly be because I'm now locked on Vodaphone? or perhaps something else I've done wrong?

many thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users