New g300, now unlocked from Vodafone, cant connect to data network

Guest gsf600y

Guest gsf600y

I'm confused.

I've got a new g300, which I've now unlocked. I can put my Three SIM in and make calls. I can't get connected to the data network though, and I can't work out why.

I've turned off wifi,and turned on the data. No connection.

I've go into the Network Operator menu option to select available network and tried both the "Select Automatically" option, and also the "Hutchinson 3G UK Ltd 3G" option. Still no connection.

I've got no APN's defined, but this is exactly the same as my other G300, and if I put the SIM in that one, no problems at all, strong 3G signal.

Anyone got any ideas? :wacko:

Guest gsf600y

oh, just noticed in "about phone" status that "My phone number" appears to be the supplied vodafone PAYG SIM one, that I've never used. Do Vodafone somehow preset the number on the phone?

Also in the status display it says "mobile network state" is "disconnected", which is what I already know.

Network is "3", which like I said is working to make phone calls.

Mobile network type is HSDPA:9

Guest gsf600y

(sorry for the barrage of posts :D )

Also, might be worth noting the unlock code I obtained (via the post in this forum), worked first time, no problem. Just put the number in, and done.

Edited by gsf600y

Guest gsf600y

That's the odd thing - my existing G300 has absolutely no APN settings in. I don't think you need to add them for the Three network, and proof of that is that I don't have any on the existing G300.

I think what I've had delivered from Amazon is a used G300, packaged as brand new. It explains why there were two seals on the box. Top one was new, and the seal underneath was broken. Also explains why a strange phone number is already on the About Phone display. I checked, and the number is neither my number, or the supplied PAYG SIM number, so must have been a previous owner number.

Very naughty of Amazon. Been on to their customer service and had a good complain - they're sending out another, and giving me a £3 voucher, which wont even cover the cost of the unlock code I'll have to buy again :(

Guest penthaler

Create APN for your network. APN is only thing you really need to connect to use GPRS (mobile data).

Was tested many phones - without APN you CANT CONNECT.

btw. when testing GB on my phone, my network provider cannot send me those APN (they do it automatically when sim inserted and phone switched on), after manual setting of APN everything OK. After that I moved back to ICS and phone internet APN was set automatically (maybe the ROM itself has any options to set it up, or network provider sent configuration SMS)

BTW - factory format before anything (if you want to dismiss that weird phone number in ABOUT PHONE)

Guest Rico_89

That's the odd thing - my existing G300 has absolutely no APN settings in.

Ok so when you go to System Settings/ then press "More..." under Data usage / Mobile networks / Access Point Names. There are not APNs listed? Just a blank screen?

Guest gsf600y

Yep, no apns listed at all, as I type this on 3g connection

(on my existing G300 that is)

Edited by gsf600y

Guest gsf600y

OK, some more strange facts:

I did a factory reset earlier, and it made no difference

I put the supplied Vodafone SIM into the new g300, and booted it up. It then said something along the lines of "detected the vodafone sim", then rebooted, wiped data partition amongst other things, and restarted the phone.

The About page then showed the network type as EDGE and it connected to EDGE ok, and also the mobile number changed to "unknown".

So I thought I'd try the Three SIM again, but same results as previous....bizarre mobile number and no connection.

Huff. Am I missing something trying to get this phone "unlocked" from vodafone? I just followed the post in the forum to get a code and applied it.

My original g300 working fine with Three SIM. No APN's defined.

New g300 can't get data connection at all. No APN's defined.

Only difference is my original g300 I've flashed with CM9 and had it unlocked in the Vodafone store, new G300 running stock ICS and unlocked via posted method in this forum.

Edited by gsf600y

Guest Rico_89

I would install the "3" network apns settings to the new phone and see if you can connect. If you can connect then maybe it's your original G300 that is the one working oddly, :huh: seeing as everyone else on every other network seems to need the correct APN settings to get a data connection....

Guest gsf600y

Yeah, I understand your point, but I've flashed my g300 a dozen times, and never set up APNs. There can't be anything special about my phone surely.

I did try the Three app already, thinking the would be an option to add the APN configuration in, but if there was I couldn't find it.

Trying Tweakker app now....

Guest gsf600y

Tweakker didn't work, but I used 3 website to transmit the APN settings, which I then applied. So now have the 3 APN setup. Still doesn't connect however.

Has the unlock I did only partially worked? Is there some Vodafone software on the phone preventing the data network access to non-vodafone networks?

Guest Rico_89

Tweakker didn't work, but I used 3 website to transmit the APN settings, which I then applied. So now have the 3 APN setup. Still doesn't connect however.

Has the unlock I did only partially worked? Is there some Vodafone software on the phone preventing the data network access to non-vodafone networks?

Unlocking your phone worked because you're using another network other than Vodafone. Either you have installed the wrong settings or maybe there is something wrong with your phone. Are you getting a brand new one from Amazon? If so maybe that one will be more successful when trying to get a data connection.

Anyway here's something to compare to compare with; http://ask3.three.co...bile:mobileUser

Edited by Rico_89

Guest gsf600y

Ok, can we delete this whole thread and pretend it never happened? :D

Tried again, and it's just started working. No idea why, I didn't change anything between now and the last time......

Guest Rico_89

Ok, can we delete this whole thread and pretend it never happened? :D

Tried again, and it's just started working. No idea why, I didn't change anything between now and the last time......

Nice, we like success stories here :D ..

Maybe restarting did the trick.. :)

Guest gsf600y

Who knows what did it :)

Anyway, the 3rd one has arrived from Amazon now so I'll see what happens with that!! :D

And, both of the ones from Amazon have had a broken seal on the box, underneath a red seal. I suspect it's where Vodafone slip their SIM card in, but they could at least explain that on a bit of paper or something.

Thanks for the input though everyone :)

Edited by gsf600y