GPS On When Sleeping

Guest george109

Guest george109

Hi, I just looked at the battery stats and I was shocked to see that GPS is in constant use when my phone is in sleep mode. Also, when I wake the phone up I can see the GPS icon, and then it disappears. Its crippling my battery life, and I have realised that this has been going on for weeks, as I remember seeing it last month! :P I do turn off the GPS, but I find that it turns on again. (Strange or what?). So is there a free app that tells me what is using my GPS? I have tried to search the play store, but I can only find paid ones. Thanks :)

Guest sharkyo01

Install Spare Parts. Open it and click on "Battery History". Select the drop down list at the top and from it choose "GPS Usage". It will show you what apps have been using the GPS.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidgram.spareparts
Note that you'll need to have your device unplugged at the time as it's actually looking for battery usage as used by apps accessing GPS.
http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/8900/whats-using-my-gps[/code]

Found that there... Give it whril...

Guest george109

from location access (in settings) turn all these "off" when you'r not using GPS

post-913969-0-28925200-1369600017_thumb.

Thanks for the suggestion :) but it would be very impractical as I use Google Now all the time. Also I have weather notifications too that need to know where I am too.

Guest george109

Install Spare Parts. Open it and click on "Battery History". Select the drop down list at the top and from it choose "GPS Usage". It will show you what apps have been using the GPS.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidgram.spareparts
Note that you'll need to have your device unplugged at the time as it's actually looking for battery usage as used by apps accessing GPS.
http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/8900/whats-using-my-gps[/code]

Found that there... Give it whril...

Thanks for this :) but I don't have the GPS option. Also, I use Sygic and sports tracker apps a lot, so its hard to tell if the GPS is used by endomondo or the bad app, when the phone is asleep in battery stats.
Edited by george109

Guest akarana

Thanks for the suggestion :) but it would be very impractical as I use Google Now all the time. Also I have weather notifications too that need to know where I am too.

Then you're gonna have to do what I do: go to the icons bar and manually turn off GPS each time you're done with it. Next time you use an app that needs it, if you've already given the app permission to turn it on, no prob, otherwise it will ask. And you may have to wait while it gets a fix. Yeah, more hassle. You have the choice: do more work to keep on top of battery consumpotion; or be lazy, buy a bigger battery ;)

Guest george109

Fixed it. I used droid guardian to find all the apps with the GPS permission and I have disabled Paypal and nectar and now the constant GPS usage has stopped! :D

Guest sharkyo01

Fixed it. I used droid guardian to find all the apps with the GPS permission and I have disabled Paypal and nectar and now the constant GPS usage has stopped! :D

That is really wierd why would Paypal and Nectar need to have the GPS on all the time... :blink:

Guest george109

That is really wierd why would Paypal and Nectar need to have the GPS on all the time... :blink:

I know, I also disabled Hangouts too. It's probably some cheeky tracking scheme for targeted advertising...

Guest sharkyo01

I know, I also disabled Hangouts too. It's probably some cheeky tracking scheme for targeted advertising...

It is really quite worrying in the sense of sercuity and privacy. What are they doing with all the information...

Guest akarana

Hangouts is Google's videochat app. That'll give you conniptions on battery life :o

Guest akarana

Time to disable every single GPS app...

I coughed up the couple of bucks for AutoStarts, but I think there's something free that does similar,

to stop apps that autostart at boot time. I killed all those Chinese apps that autostarted, don't want

to uninstall because I use some of them at time. All that's (showing as) running on my G300 now is

System UI, Security Guard, Google Pinyin, Wiper App, com.android.smspush. Dunno what those

last two are, they look sort of Android needed...

With root access and a steady hand you could probably edit an xml file somewhere in the works...