I finally got round to creating a Win7 VHD and installed the u8810_u8815 driver. Now DC Unlocker doesn't say "DBAadapter reserved Interface driver ver. 184.108.40.2061 required" anymore but it's still not working properly.
All it shows is this (I've edited the IMEI and MAC codes for privacy):
DC - Unlocker 2 Client 1.00.1180 Detecting phone : selection : manufacturer - Huawei phones model - Auto detect (recommended) Found Applications port COM4 Found Diagnostics port COM3 Model : Huawei Ascend G series IMEI : 8612xxxxx4524 Wi-Fi MAC : 88:xx:xx:xx:xx:74 BlueTooth MAC : 88:xx:xx:xx:xx:73 SIM Lock status : unlocked
with no "Bootloader status" or "Bootloader code" for me to use as shown in this video at 1:30
I tried with the v220.127.116.111 driver as well and that's the same. I think it's a waste of time (and money) buying any credit as I don't think DC Unlocker will be able to unlock the phone if it's not returning any bootloader code