San Diego "Post-mortem" photos... all 105 of them (silly rant removed)

Guest glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

Here are some photos of the internals of the San Diego, and the various flaws (bezel cracked and protruding from the crack site). Please note - I have revised the introduction to these photos, as I feel I was rather harsh and short-sighted to just brush the device off as "rubbish", when it has clearly - on close inspection - had a hard fall. I didn't see those glass chips until BlueMoonRising mentioned them (thanks mate).

I apologise to all to whom I have come across as hot-headed and rash, and I think I have been.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22008695@N03/sets/72157633752379405/

Edited by glossywhite

Guest ArcticFox

It's better than most budget phones out there, other than the white spot when cpu gets hot I don't have any complaints.

Guest i am not a hacker

It says three things: 1) You were probably not caring for the phone well at all as mine has just two hairline cracks which do not protrude at all and I have it for 9 months.

2) The quality is as good as it should be for a £60 phone now.

3) You have put A LOT of effort into photographing and putting this phone down to make it seem awful in an attempt to make everyone else regret their decision - not a very kind or Christian thing to do in my opinion. You have too many negative comments about it so why don't you just go away seeing as you won't be any more use? Instead you'll just be annoying people and lowering the atmosphere.

Guest karthiknr

It is one of the best budget phones and because you cannot take care of it,you don't need to portray a false image to people that the phone isn't good at all. If at all the bootloader wouldn't have been locked by Intel, this phone would have had awesome support and frankly I think because you failed in your attempts to unlock it and also because you didn't get along with a lot of people from this forum, you're posting all this "JUNK".

Guest glossywhite

As I'd expected - so much fervent denial. The phone was looked after with extreme care, not used as a hockey puck.

When you consider another budget phone - the huawei Y100, the experience is abysmal... but it is 20x better built than the OSD, and doesn't form fissures when you hold it. Electronically and from a software standpoint, it works pretty well, but the sheer number of people complaining about fractures and build quality issues, merely serve to reinforce my opinion on the device, not weaken it.

I'm sorry that many of you are bitter because you paid £200 for a "budget" phone, had it fail and were unsatisfied with Oranges response, but the hard reality is that "fit for purpose" is written into consumer law for precisely such situations as this - the build quality is CRAP, and no amount of denial is going to change fact.

I feel sorry for those of you feel the need to defend your phone as if you were the designer of it - you're not, and being a realist is going to help you more than throwing insults around - that doesn't bother me, but the absolute refutation of fact is ridiculous and laughable.

If this is Intel's way of showing off Atom for mobile, I really do hope they learn their lesson if there is to be a successor!

Guest karthiknr

If you're going to disagree to what everyone says,then there's definitely an issue with you and not with us.

And now that you don't have an OSD, you're talking about it and it's build quality. I can do the same about the iPhone and talk about its competitors as well. It's going to go nowhere. Instead of wasting precious time to capture and upload so many photos just to prove your point, stick to your iPhone and go do some other productive work. Your ridiculous views are not going to affect the sales of Intel and its phones and neither will it affect our views on the San Diego.

And if you think Modaco has this forum so that somebody who is as jobless as you are can come and start ranting about a device you don't even have, then please go make a blog about how "Crappy" the OSD is and put whatever rubbish you want to, in it. Maybe then,you'll get some publicity you've been desperately seeking here.

Right at the time when you were selling on the forums, I wanted to report you but then I thought otherwise because you've been here from 3 years. You then went on to fight with 3 or 4 people just like this on your preposterous views and negative opinions but I thought it would be a waste of time because you aren't going to change your attitude. You have the *I know all* and *I'm always right* attitude but sooner or later you're going to be regretting it. Change it for your benefit and spare us from this nonsense.

Guest glossywhite

If you're going to disagree to what everyone says,then there's definitely an issue with you and not with us.

And now that you don't have an OSD, you're talking about it and it's build quality. I can do the same about the iPhone and talk about its competitors as well. It's going to go nowhere. Instead of wasting precious time to capture and upload so many photos just to prove your point, stick to your iPhone and go do some other productive work. Your ridiculous views are not going to affect the sales of Intel and its phones and neither will it affect our views on the San Diego.

And if you think Modaco has this forum so that somebody who is as jobless as you are can come and start ranting about a device you don't even have, then please go make a blog about how "Crappy" the OSD is and put whatever rubbish you want to, in it. Maybe then,you'll get some publicity you've been desperately seeking here.

Right at the time when you were selling on the forums, I wanted to report you but then I thought otherwise because you've been here from 3 years. You then went on to fight with 3 or 4 people just like this on your preposterous views and negative opinions but I thought it would be a waste of time because you aren't going to change your attitude. You have the *I know all* and *I'm always right* attitude but sooner or later you're going to be regretting it. Change it for your benefit and spare us from this nonsense.

"jobless"? Does having an opinion on my employment status make you feel better? Great! Enjoy your faux superiority, although the relevance is beyond me :-)

Personal digs are a sign of the lack of ability to hold civil conversation, so forgive me for not taking you seriously. I forgive your thoughtless and silly comment - its so utterly irrelevant that it's quite amusing - yep, no job, anything else? May as well get it off your chest (and create some light entertainment).

Cheerio :-)

Guest MrPuddington
If this is Intel's way of showing off Atom for mobile, I really do hope they learn their lesson if there is to be a successor!

I have to say I agree here. The phone is trying to look sleek like an iphone, but part of what makes an iphone special is that it is also reasonably sturdy, while the San Diego is just too sensitive in a few key areas.

It does not help that Intel seems to have given up on updates. Yes, I know the rule is that you get one update, and that's it. But Intel really missed a chance to distinguish itself from the crowd, or at least to reach the level of support given by Samsung (which is not that great anyway). Overall the San Diego demonstrate the huge potential that Intel CPUs have, but potential is not everything.

Guest glossywhite

I have to say I agree here. The phone is trying to look sleek like an iphone, but part of what makes an iphone special is that it is also reasonably sturdy, while the San Diego is just too sensitive in a few key areas.

It does not help that Intel seems to have given up on updates. Yes, I know the rule is that you get one update, and that's it. But Intel really missed a chance to distinguish itself from the crowd, or at least to reach the level of support given by Samsung (which is not that great anyway). Overall the San Diego demonstrate the huge potential that Intel CPUs have, but potential is not everything.

I have the potential to be an opera singer, but unless I realised it (I don't want to be one), it's just pie in the sky... yes, you make a very good point :)

Actually, having re-considered your comment, Intel have actually distinguished themselves from the crowd; only... in the wrong way.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Donkey Oaty

I bought an OSD soon after Glossywhites post singing its praises. Mine has so far suffered from 2 hair line cracks.

I appreciated glossywhites attempts to provide contacts at the orange executive call centre which unfortunately would not assist me.

I dont understand glossywhites stance now. In my opinion he should leave the situation alone. He has got rid of the phone and not everybody has the same problems.

I have an iphone 3gs which has a cracked back from the charge point. I have never dropped it and it is a design fault and glued together. That phone cost much more than my osd but I'm not moaning all day long on the apple forums.

At the end of the day the situation with some aspects of the build is unacceptable but it cant be changed now. Any hardware faults are generally treated by user mistreatment by All operators. Continuing to moan will only get you down. Time to leave it now, everybody has a good idea of your point of view.

All the best

Guest glossywhite

I bought an OSD soon after Glossywhites post singing its praises. Mine has so far suffered from 2 hair line cracks.

I appreciated glossywhites attempts to provide contacts at the orange executive call centre which unfortunately would not assist me.

I dont understand glossywhites stance now. In my opinion he should leave the situation alone. He has got rid of the phone and not everybody has the same problems.

I have an iphone 3gs which has a cracked back from the charge point. I have never dropped it and it is a design fault and glued together. That phone cost much more than my osd but I'm not moaning all day long on the apple forums.

At the end of the day the situation with some aspects of the build is unacceptable but it cant be changed now. Any hardware faults are generally treated by user mistreatment by All operators. Continuing to moan will only get you down. Time to leave it now, everybody has a good idea of your point of view.

All the best

Good call :)

I have far more productive things to do, you're right. Take care all :-) God bless you

Guest vermat17

Seriously guys, this is a forum about a mobile device. We don't need to have arguments every time one person's opinion differs from another's.

For those who have the device and are still using it, I'm sure they won't appreciate someone trying to make everyone believe its a rubbish phone. That might be one opinion, but others may not think that. Lets just respect that and keep this OSD forum a bit more relevant.

Guest glossywhite

Seriously guys, this is a forum about a mobile device. We don't need to have arguments every time one person's opinion differs from another's.

For those who have the device and are still using it, I'm sure they won't appreciate someone trying to make everyone believe its a rubbish phone. That might be one opinion, but others may not think that. Lets just respect that and keep this OSD forum a bit more relevant.

Can't agree more. You are right - I've moved on, and won't be posting on this sub-forum at all from now.

Guest BlueMoonRising

"Can't agree more. You are right", hilarious. He causes all of this, accuses everybody of being bitter and jealous of him and then calmly moves on.

BTW if you're serious about the "bitter and jealous" bit you really need to step back from the forum and think things through. I've flipped back through the posts and all I see are differing opinions. You seem to believe that anyone having a different opinion to yourself has some sort of agenda. That's called paranoia.

Guest Ashbeard

Mine has a huge crack in the top that makes the power button extra stiff but I bought it that way and got it cheaper. It wasn't suddenly unusable because Of it. The phone didn't become less responsive, it still clipped along and is much smoother than my clunky iPhone 4 which cost nearly 4 times as much. The screen is still great, no damage there. The only problem is cosmetic. Unfortunately, it's all too common for people these days to think that how something looks is the most important thing.

It's not like Apple never screwed up on their much more expensive and much more highly marked up iPhones. iPhone 5 s shipped from the factory scratched because the anodised layer was so thin. All iPhones have the built in flaw of having one mechanical home button which wears out because it gets used so much. This button can also ship from factory extra stiff so you have to clamp your phone to multitask. These are well documented.

I try all sorts of phones, in all sorts of price ranges, and the cracking is a very minor issue compared to some of the more expensive phones I've tried. Motorola Defy which cost me twice as much (at the time) didn't have working wifi. This was a hardware issue, beyond my ability to fix, but Motorola tech support took the phone in 3 times under warranty and all they did was a software reset. This was a common flaw as I discovered while trying to fix it.

Guest Ashbeard

Lmao. Now that I'm on a phone that can actually display the slide show (hint, not the iPhone) I can see how little most of the 105 pictures have to do with his point. Obsessive is not the word.

Guest BlueMoonRising

The first one(I think) which shows a piece of the bezel sticking out has a suspicious little dent just a few millimeters higher with a small chip in the gorilla glass. I don't think it was handled with quite the kid gloves claimed.

That's not to say it hasn't got problems but at the present price at the very least is untouchable for the power. I might add that mine is still crack free, touch wood.

Edit :- BTW I'm not suggesting that glossy chipped it himself. He couldn't have missed the bezel sticking out when he passed it on.

Edited by BlueMoonRising

Guest glossywhite

Bear in mind that this now belongs to someone else, for whom I am attempting to repair it. Yes, when I had it, it was treated with kid gloves - maybe I was in accurate when I portrayed it as having been treated this way for it's overall ownership lifetime, sorry. I have just noticed the chip on the screen edge - he must have slam-dunked it! No wonder it's broken!

@BlueMoonRising: I very much appreciate you pointing out those chips; considering I was taking LOTS of photos, I didn't take the proper time to inspect every single one individually, and I have now revised my stupid rant introduction to this gallery, and thank you very much for pointing out the chipped edge of the screen.

Take care :)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest technomole

Thought I'd add my two pence worth to this :)

Having now moved on from the osd to a nexus 4 there is a big difference in build quality, but that's to be expected with the nexus 4 as it's nearly £300 (least the 16gb model) if you take into consideration the price the osd was when it was first released and compare it to the build quality, then I'd have to agree it's not the best build quality for the price, on pure hardware and power then it's pretty good.

But if you take it at it's lowest price (49:99 or was it 59:99 + the £10 top up) it's not to be sniffed at, especially with the power it has, and having worked most of my life in production related jobs, including injection moulding and various other plastics related things then it may be that it's a fault with specific production runs, the example being that some people have had no issues with the casing of the phone, whilst others have, and the same can be said for higher end phones.

To use a recent example I have the later model nexus 4 (it has the little nubs on the case) I've had no issues with the phone, but I know someone who has had their nexus 4 for two weeks and has had to send it back due to faults with the microphone and earpiece speaker, this may well be another production related fault between batches of phones, so even high(er) end phones are not imune to these types of faults, no mass produced product is, be it cars or washing machines or indeed mobile phones.

As it happens my osd, which I was going to give to my wife developed a fault where it has no signal what so ever, infact you can take the sim out, reboot the phone and it still thinks it has the sim in it, even after leaving it switched off for a while and then rebooting it still says the sim card is in the phone, everything else is fine with it, even the case, it's currently being looked at.

But such is life