Proximity sensor not calibrating

Guest Igano

Guest Igano

Hey everybody. I am using right now Slimbean's ICS and the screen does not go off when I do or receive a call. I calibrated and even used default settings nothing at all, the screen allways stays on. I was using H3 blues in the past and it had similar problems (in the beggining it was staying locked and after a few calibrations was always staying on).

Is this a rom thing or there is a chance my proximity sensor is dead?

Should I try cleaning it with some alcohol?

Guest H3ROS

It could be that it needs cleaning.

In H3 Blues I've built in an option to calibrate the proximity sensor. All you need to do is press calibrate in a well lit room :) The easiest way to then test that it's working is to enable automatic brightness control and put your sensor under a light. If you then cover the sensor with your finger you'll see the screen go darker and the home, options and back keys will light up.

You could try manually setting the proximity data:

Guest Igano

I tried with auto brightness and its not responding to light changes at all. Could this be a compatibility issue with the ROM or is it dead? The sensor is clean.

Guest H3ROS

I wouldn't think it's the sensor as others would of reported the same issue, so if manually setting a value in prox_threshold.txt doesn't work then you may have a hardware fault.

Guest Igano

Went to H3 Blues again (great job by the way). This time auto brightness is working but the screen stays light on when I am on a call.

Guest H3ROS

So it is alive, but not working fully. Definitely try setting the value manually then. The file manager cooked into the ROM should make it simple :)

Guest Igano

I have tried both fixes given by C3C0 here http://www.modaco.co...fix zte skate

but nothing worked! The auto brightness seems to work ok.

I tried to find a topic on how to find and edit the text but I couldn't. Is there a link about it?

Many thanks for your help!

EDIT: Sorry my bad I saw it is above!

Edited by Igano

Guest Igano

my sensor is this TSL2771

I removed the automatic callibration from the rom. Than i tried with 2 different values

H601L4G32

H601L1G32

The result is the same with both values. Now screen goes blank but only after 15-20 seconds and it does not light up again after unless I press the power button.

Any clues? :)

Guest Igano

Added that value and nothing changed, screen goes blank at 25 seconds of call and does not come alive unless I press the power button. I think I should give up, it must be hardware malfunction.

Guest honigfisch

1.)Type the code *983*0# where you normally type a number to call

or

2.)Flash a GB Rom and look if it works (Atomic Mod,Skatie...)

I have the same issue on cm7 and 7.2

My sensor didnt work with cyanogenmod on my skate :( - than i flashed atomic

3.) If this doesnt work too than go back to stock and send it to your provider

Edited by honigfisch

Guest H3ROS

honigfisch, H3 Blues is a stock modified ROM so SKatie or AtomicMod won't make any difference as they too are stock ROM's.

It sounds like a hardware defect to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Igano

I restored to the original ROM that I got the phone and it's worse! Once you call the phone screen turns off and never returns unless u remove the battery! I think I will take it to the company since it's on warranty! Who knows maybe I can get a new phone instead? They don't have the skate any more on sale and I am curious to see what will happen. The only close model is the Acqua.

• 2 months later...

So here's the short story:

i returned the phone to the company with original rom but without stock recovery. Unfortunately I couldn't get it and I chose to risk. Fortunately it didn't cause any warranty problems. I got the phone back today and the proximity sensor is working great now! Instant switch on or off the screen while talking. What was weird they returned the phone in only one day and on the service paper they wrote that they did a calibration to my surprise. I was pretty sure it was a hardware malfunction! Of course I couldn't let this slide away. I managed to open the prox_threshold.txt without rooting the phone ( http://www.modaco.com/topic/364163-how-to-view-a-file-on-system-without-rooting/ ).

The setting is:

H1020L2G32

If I am correct this is a totally new setting? Well it is working great so anyone with big proximity issues use this one, I suspect its helpful for the latest batches of Skates (mine is 1 year old). We didn't find the solution from here but I hope I can help someone in the future ;).