Oppo Find 5 now available from the European Oppo Style store

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

The Oppo Find 5 - the world's first 1080P screened phone when it was released in China - is now available in white (16GB/32GB) and black (32GB) versions directly from Oppo's European warehouse, starting at €399 (£340).

I have a Find 5 (review to follow!) and it's a really nice device. The specifications are impressive, particularly given the price - Android 4.1 (with 4.2 coming soon) is onboard with a Qualcomm APQ8064 (S4 Pro) Quad-Core 1.5GHz processor, 2GB RAM, a glorious 5" 1920x1080 screen, 13 Megapixel camera, UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA/HSPA+/HSPA+42 connectivity on the 850, 1700, 1900 and 2100MHz bands, GSM/EDGE on the 850, 900, 1800, 1900MHz bands and 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz and 5GHz). All the other stuff you'd expect in a top end handset is there too including NFC and it's all powered by a 2500mAh (non removable) battery. There's no microSD slot.

What the specs don't tell you is that it's a seriously solid, well made device. It might be predominantly plastic, but it feels plastic in the HTC One X / Nokia way, not in the Samsung way. It's certainly a cut above most Chinese devices.

The software has a custom UI layer from Oppo on it, but pure AOSP, Paranoid Android and of course CyanogenMod ROMs are available!

As I say, our review will be online soon but if you have any questions about the device in the mean time - ask away!

If you'd like to purchase, head on over to the European Oppo Style store.

oppofind5big.png

Click here to view the item

Guest andybarker

I love that the 32GB version is only €30 more than the 16GB one. Was considering a S4, but I am going to wait to see what you think of it first.

Edit:

Looking pretty impressive, both on hardware specs and on software updates (twice a month - yikes!)

Guest komad

Paul,

please let us know if it's worth the money, in your opinion :)

Do you know what happened to the thinner and less expensive Finder.

BR

Guest andybarker

I have a few questions for you:

1. Would you personally stick with their firmware, or go for stock (or some other variation)?

2. If the answer to 1 is to move from their firmware, what do you think of their firmware - who might it appeal to?

3. How does it compare in usage to the Samsung S4 and HTC One (putting to one side the personal preferences of design)?

4. Does it feel like it will physically last as well as some of the videos suggest (people using the phone as a hammer!!)

5. How does the camera compare with the S4 and One (low light, and outdoors)?

6. Does OTG work?

7. Does it support MHL?

If this compares well with the S4, I'm definitely going to buy one! Is priced similar to Galaxy S3, but the specs looks more like the Galaxy S4.

Edit:

No MicroSD slot :( No removable battery :(

Still tempted, but not as much as I was before I realised about these two negatives (in my opinion).

Guest absro

I ordered one 4 days ago and they haven't shipped it yet, it's marked as "Preparation in progress" for almost 2 days (yesterday morning). So much for their "shipped in 1-3 business days". Also, their operators from "Help within 24 hrs" answered my inquiry in 2 days and a half...

Typical attitude for Chinese companies, that's the reason I stopped buying stuff from DealExtreme and I prefer small eBay sellers.

On the other hand, the phone DOES look impressive, so I hope I won't be disappointed :)

[later edit] Aaaaaand.... 1 day later, the phone is still "Preparation in progress". And since it's Saturday, it will stay "in progress" until Monday at least. That is a huge disappointment and I won't buy any other products from Oppo unless the phone quality is really THAT great to convince me otherwise.

Guest andybarker

I ordered one 4 days ago and they haven't shipped it yet, it's marked as "Preparation in progress" for almost 2 days (yesterday morning). So much for their "shipped in 1-3 business days". Also, their operators from "Help within 24 hrs" answered my inquiry in 2 days and a half...

Typical attitude for Chinese companies, that's the reason I stopped buying stuff from DealExtreme and I prefer small eBay sellers.

On the other hand, the phone DOES look impressive, so I hope I won't be disappointed :)

When I looked yesterday at ordering, it was only on back order - looks like they ran out of stock! Could be seen as a good thing (popular) or a bad thing (not prepared). Hope you enjoy it when it arrives.

Guest absro

@andybarker the customer service confirmed 3 days ago that my phone will be from the first batch. However, it's still "in progress". No matter how great the phone will be, I'll never buy from Oppo again... and I hope I'll never need to send it to service, because if their pre-sale service is THAT bad, I don't wanna think about the post-sale.

Guest absro

Yeah. Another fiasco, IMHO.

They contacted me stating that DHL said the address isn't valid, even if the status on the website is still "Preparation in progress" and there's no tracking number with DHL, even if I use this address for Amazon deliveries and I never had any issues with Amazon's packages.

Right now I just hope they will refund me the money I paid and I won't have to open a dispute at PayPal...

Another great example why not everyone succeeds in business: you can have a great product, but if the whole production-marketing-delivery-service chain isn't on par with the product quality, you're destined to fail.

Too bad. I really liked the phone (at least the specs and the pictures :), I never saw one IRL).

Guest andybarker

@asbro

I've had a similar problem in the past where one major courier didn't know the road I was on, even though the road had been there for 50 years. Damn annoying when any company sets their systems up to work in a totally rigid way.

Hope your refund gets sorted nice and easy

Guest absro

I got a refund confirmation from PayPal; I'll probably get the money back into my account next week. I'll either buy a Note 2 or add 150-200 euros and buy an S4. That's it, no more experiments with shady companies. That's sad, though, because the phone specs look nice and their "2 updates per month" vs "we don't know whether we'll update the firmware for the Note, it's already an old product" did sound nice :(

At least the Samsungs are available at every phone seller and their service is really good (last year they replaced the USB connector on my Galaxy Note in less than 30 minutes, because the old one got damaged and the phone was in the "charging" state all the time).

The funniest part is that DHL declined the address because they said the zip code isn't valid, even if since January I received a package via DHL at that address, and at least 10 packages via Royal Mail. Oh well, maybe they should start looking for a different service?

Guest Colossae3.23

Yeah. Another fiasco, IMHO.

They contacted me stating that DHL said the address isn't valid, even if the status on the website is still "Preparation in progress" and there's no tracking number with DHL, even if I use this address for Amazon deliveries and I never had any issues with Amazon's packages.

Right now I just hope they will refund me the money I paid and I won't have to open a dispute at PayPal...

Another great example why not everyone succeeds in business: you can have a great product, but if the whole production-marketing-delivery-service chain isn't on par with the product quality, you're destined to fail.

Too bad. I really liked the phone (at least the specs and the pictures :), I never saw one IRL).

@absro

glad to hear you got finally a refund. Did you order from Oppo's European site, that's linked in the op, or do you try from somewhere else? I'm not curious in the Find 5, it's too dear for me. But, there is a rumor of a Find 5 "mini" that'll have a 3.7" screen @ 720p. If its true, that could be right down my street.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.