Faulty Power Button - returned from repairs as water damage!!!

Guest dabiboy

Guest dabiboy

Hi,

I've send my Sand Diego for repair as power button was so hard to press that almost unusable. Phone was working in 100% just hard to switch on.

After 10 days I got a call form EE shop saying that the phone is back. I went back and here's the kicker - power button is working as new, but surprise (!!!) phone DOESN'T switch on (just vibrates but screen doesnt light up)! I looked in paperwork and it's says that phone was water damaged!

I left the phone in EE shop for now saying that I wont accept it.

Does anyone have an idea what I'd do?

Guest i am not a hacker

Charge it THEN smash it :D

You said you were going to leave us to it? Now you are back to trolling again?

Guest Roger Barnett

My power button has, after 8 months of use finally depressed permanently into the casing, pretty much as per dabiboys description.

I have got the xolo ics update installed but have not touched Ricky's tools or rooted etc.

Question :

Will orange / EE accept the phone back for repair / replacement with the xolo ics on it, or should I go through the root / orangify process first just to be sure?

Has anyone successfully returned a phone for repair which has been obviously modded?

Edited by Roger Barnett

Guest MrPuddington

Yes, I heard this before. Modern phones have a water indicator, and they can be much too sensitive. So even being in a moist environment such as in your pocket can trigger it. You would expect them to apply some reason and not attribute the faulty button to water damage, but then again Orange do not seem to get along with this concept of "reasonable". How they broke your display in the process - that's a good question. Was the phone rooted? Maybe they meddled with the software. I would complain, but it could be a difficult road.

Edited by MrPuddington

Guest Thedarkphonetech

Yes u need to change back to orange.

I took off the back cover,rooted,enabled sd card,put gpu and changed the build prop and mine got repaired. So urs should be fine!

Guest BlueMoonRising

Yes u need to change back to orange.

I took off the back cover,rooted,enabled sd card,put gpu and changed the build prop and mine got repaired. So urs should be fine!

Yes you do...

No you don't...

Lol, make your mind up :P

Guest Roger Barnett

Am I right in thinking that, to convert to orange, I need to follow the thread on Ricky's AIO Tool, ?

I've downloaded Intel drivers so I just need to follow the instructions in that thread and the most up-to-date version of the tool is linked from the at thread ?

Guest BlueMoonRising

Am I right in thinking that, to convert to orange, I need to follow the thread on Ricky's AIO Tool, http://www.modaco.co...diego-and-xolo/ ?

I've downloaded Intel drivers so I just need to follow the instructions in that thread and the most up-to-date version of the tool is linked from the at thread ?

You can but I would perhaps go with glossy s guide here :- http://www.modaco.com/topic/361791-toolkit-aio-prep-tool-improved-aio-prep-tool-for-reverting-to-stock-orange-ics/

When you've got the AIO tool installed download the following and replace the ones in :- C:\SanDiego\tools with,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/upf7q23nj44rf8b/SanDiego.bat

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mn22et831fs7cbc/setup32.bat

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wlmhex1xi6b1jru/setup64.bat

They'll save any problems in the future.

Guest Roger Barnett

Btw I found it super hard to change.

It took me 3 days!!

Any chance you could list the steps?

I have the Xolo ICS, without any 27mb / 35mb / 58mb patches.

I don't have root yet.

My understanding is that 1st I need to apply the orange logo, before I revert to Orange ICS?

Do I need to root the phone before I do either of the above?

@Bluemoon, I've replaced the 3 files you mentioned in C:\Sandiego\tools.

EDIT: I'm now rooted!

Edited by Roger Barnett

Guest Thedarkphonetech

Yep u nees to root first. Your steps aren't very reliable (didn't work for me) but may work (other peoples did work)

Guest BlueMoonRising

Now you're rooted you need to install the Orange logo, you may need to root again(I've never actually tried it). After a reboot you should then be able to install the Orange ICS. Make sure you've got the necessary files downloaded first.

Guest Roger Barnett

I done it!

It was more or less seamless (once I actually read the manual instead of lazily asking each question in my head on here!)

Thanks to all who helped and especially glossy and Ricky for their work on the tool.

Now all that remains is to get this phone replaced under warranty due to this ineffective power button. What's the procedure for a replacement / repair - walk into the EE shop, or phone customer service?

Guest BlueMoonRising

I done it!

It was more or less seamless (once I actually read the manual instead of lazily asking each question in my head on here!)

Thanks to all who helped and especially glossy and Ricky for their work on the tool.

Now all that remains is to get this phone replaced under warranty due to this ineffective power button. What's the procedure for a replacement / repair - walk into the EE shop, or phone customer service?

Customer service.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Roger Barnett

Aye call

Customer service.

UPDATE: I couldn't face the phonecall to India so I wandered into the EE shop in Yeovil. Saturday was heaving so went down today in my lunch hour and spoke to a very helpful assistant who took my phone and sent it off for repair; said 7-10 working days. Got myself a Samsung Galaxy mini as a temp replacement (£60 deposit mind). Just trying to write txts etc. on the mini made me realise what a great phone the OSD is!.

I just hope the rest of the process goes as smoothly as the 'handover'.

Hopefully the 'exploits' I've installed on the phone will remain undetected. (I did get a bit paranoid and hurriedly removed ADBD insecure, root browser and root checker apps while he was getting my replacement :ph34r: )

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ca1unn

I submitted mine for repair last Saturday for the same fault and after EE loosing all the paperwork, they've decided to fix it, just keep trying different EE stores...

avyaxm7.png