errmsg

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Kernel
  • Devices:Liquid A1 hw_version=6
  • Twitter:@RomanYepishev
I am switching to the next kernel version, so here's the last 2.6.32 build (unless some critical issue is reported), which can be used as a drop-in replacement for stock 2.6.29.

Features:
  • Fixed the bug with LCD backlight blinking on resume.
  • AVR Keypad Leds light up on keypress/turn off after 10 seconds to mimic 2.6.29 behavior.
  • Headset is less likely to start playing music when it is being plugged in or plugged out.

The overall impression is good. With background transfer enabled the battery gets drained only at 1% a hour. With display on it goes to 5% an hour or more depending on the load.

My Acer Liquid Wiki
Share your knowledge because your hard drives are mortal.

Master_T

Master_T

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
I just wanted to report that the kernel works on the liquid A1 (after removing the assert check in updater-script)
I think it didn't work before for me because I was using a rom with a different partition scheme. I flashed the 2.2 bin from scratch and flashed the kernel through malez recovery, and it boots and works correctly.

Does this kernel support OverClock/OverVolt? Incredicontrol says that it doesn't. Can they be enabled?

Would be cool if we manage to make it work on a CM rom, in theory it should work better than the old "hacky" .29 kernel. I was trying to do a port, but the official CM porting guide is very vague and confusing, I'm having all sorts of problems. If anyone with some knowledge wants to help feel free to contact me.

Edited by Master_T, 16 June 2013 - 03:09 PM.

errmsg

errmsg

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

I just wanted to report that the kernel works on the liquid A1 (after removing the assert check in updater-script)

That's great news! Thank you very much! I have removed the assertion check and re-uploaded the image.

Does this kernel support OverClock/OverVolt? Incredicontrol says that it doesn't. Can they be enabled?

I am afraid I don't know. I have never played with these. There's a CONFIG_QSD_SVS which was not defined for mahimahi (Nexus One) but it is on for qsd8650 boards, so I have built a version with QSD_SVS, feel free to test it.

My Acer Liquid Wiki

Master_T

Master_T

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

That's great news! Thank you very much! I have removed the assertion check and re-uploaded the image.

I am afraid I don't know. I have never played with these. There's a CONFIG_QSD_SVS which was not defined for mahimahi (Nexus One) but it is on for qsd8650 boards, so I have built a version with QSD_SVS, feel free to test it.

Thanks, I can't test right now because I'm back on my "everyday" rom since I need the phone, but Incredicontrol was lamenting the lack of SVS interface, so I think that might be it.

zabulus

zabulus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
errmsg, I'm using you kernel from first post of the thread with stock ROM. Works good, but have several issues:
1. There is some kind of sleep of death. If there is some heavy app in memory, i.e. Navitel, smart goes to locked state and can't be unlocked. It doesn't respond to power button.
2. Another minor issue also with locking, I've reproduced today, when attach usb cable to the phone also it can't be unblocked. Phone responds to the power button, I can see turn off power popup, but I was unable to choose something until unplugged cable. This is minor issue.

Today I'll install updated kernel and report you for any issues.

Stock rom with the kernel is very good, except some issues related for userspace, for example unexpected crashes. Battery consuming is good, CPU wents to deep sleep. Interface feels fast. Feel free to ask for additional info.

errmsg

errmsg

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

errmsg, I'm using you kernel from first post of the thread with stock ROM. Works good, but have several issues:
1. There is some kind of sleep of death. If there is some heavy app in memory, i.e. Navitel, smart goes to locked state and can't be unlocked. It doesn't respond to power button.

That's a very valuable info. I had this only once during 2 weeks with GitHub application trying to load my kernel repository. I was not able to reproduce this and I think that's because of acer's changes to lowmemorykiller. I filed a bug for this and will port the changes now.

I checked the boot logs and found this:
E/ActivityManager(  125): java.io.FileNotFoundException: /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/del_pid (No such file or directory)
E/ActivityManager(  125): java.io.FileNotFoundException: /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/add_pid (No such file or directory)

Update: Acer tries to keep process android.process.acore alive even in low memory condition. As you may remember Acer has created a "beautiful" Acer UI replacing stock android interface. I suppose it was so memory-hungry that Acer decided to prevent the user from seeing how all this UI gets killed by android.

Even HTC Sense on my wife's HTC Desire gets unloaded in low memory condition (which does not look like a good thing as well). So porting these changes may not be something that would be helpful.

2. Another minor issue also with locking, I've reproduced today, when attach usb cable to the phone also it can't be unblocked. Phone responds to the power button, I can see turn off power popup, but I was unable to choose something until unplugged cable. This is minor issue.

I think this may be related to the previous one, since touchscreen driver was not tampered with I am fairly sure it is something being killed that feeds input to the system. I will inspect ActivityManagerService to see what exactly it tries to keep alive.

Could you please run adb shell dmesg when the USB cable is attached and pastebin it? It would be great if you could record a video of the failure to see how USB plug in/out timing may affect it. I haven't experienced this on my phone, though.

Edited by errmsg, 17 June 2013 - 05:25 PM.

My Acer Liquid Wiki

zabulus

zabulus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Update: Acer tries to keep process android.process.acore alive even in low memory condition. As you may remember Acer has created a "beautiful" Acer UI replacing stock android interface. I suppose it was so memory-hungry that Acer decided to prevent the user from seeing how all this UI gets killed by android.

Even HTC Sense on my wife's HTC Desire gets unloaded in low memory condition (which does not look like a good thing as well). So porting these changes may not be something that would be helpful.

I've disabled the Acer's interface and I'm using ADW Launcher over stock interface. In stock ROM Acer decline two different terms: interface (some new) and launcher android term, as I understood. Maybe I'm wrong.

OK, I'll try to reproduce the second bug and post if something helpful would be found.

Master_T

Master_T

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
is there any way to enable ADB during boot on this kernel? I was trying to port CM7 on this kernel (starting from the N1 build) but the phone just shows the kernel logo and reboots in recovery. I cannot debug this since ADB doesn't kick in soon enough... the ThePasto kernel enables ADB almost immediately (before bootanimation) so I guess it can be done... can it?

errmsg

errmsg

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

is there any way to enable ADB during boot on this kernel? I was trying to port CM7 on this kernel (starting from the N1 build) but the phone just shows the kernel logo and reboots in recovery. I cannot debug this since ADB doesn't kick in soon enough... the ThePasto kernel enables ADB almost immediately (before bootanimation) so I guess it can be done... can it?

I built a version with product_id set to 0x3202 and persist.service.adb.enable=1, the build is acer_a1-kernel-2013-06-17-2.6.32.9-adbboot-gb0b4856-update.zip. I hope this helps.

I used ram console exclusively to debug these issues, I wonder whether making a recovery version with this kernel would help. After all bringing recovery environment is easier than the full-fledged android.

Another thing that puzzles me is why it reboots into recovery? After all my build failures when kernel panicked it either hung or crashed and rebooted into regular mode again. Is there anything in the system image you are trying this kernel with that might reboot the device into recovery? Some sort of system service?

My Acer Liquid Wiki

errmsg

errmsg

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I have just noticed that the CPU gets really hot while battery is being charged leading to shutting down the charging process. Filed a bug, investigating now.

My Acer Liquid Wiki

Master_T

Master_T

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

I built a version with product_id set to 0x3202 and persist.service.adb.enable=1, the build is acer_a1-kernel-2013-06-17-2.6.32.9-adbboot-gb0b4856-update.zip. I hope this helps.

I used ram console exclusively to debug these issues, I wonder whether making a recovery version with this kernel would help. After all bringing recovery environment is easier than the full-fledged android.

Another thing that puzzles me is why it reboots into recovery? After all my build failures when kernel panicked it either hung or crashed and rebooted into regular mode again. Is there anything in the system image you are trying this kernel with that might reboot the device into recovery? Some sort of system service?

Yeah, it would be cool to have a build based on the new partition layout, the one used by CWM/TWRP and the CM7.2+ roms.

EDIT: tried this kernel, adb is active during boot, but adb logcat isn't, it returns immediately without printing anything.

Edited by Master_T, 18 June 2013 - 11:08 AM.

zabulus

zabulus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Yeah, it would be cool to have a build based on the new partition layout, the one used by CWM/TWRP and the CM7.2+ roms.

EDIT: tried this kernel, adb is active during boot, but adb logcat isn't, it returns immediately without printing anything.

You should check for /proc/kmsg file during boot.

errmsg

errmsg

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I've built 2.6.35 kernel based on commit 160d42d529f7a5563bbd7cd117c83b7f434f0c22 from android-msm-2.6.35.
(If there's someone crazy enough to try this on their Liquid, here's that particular boot.img).

I guess this means that there's no more reason to keep testing 2.6.32.9.

I will try to get the kernel tree in a usable shape, merge all the outstanding commits and then open a new "Call for testing" topic :).

Attached Files

Edited by errmsg, 19 June 2013 - 03:01 PM.

My Acer Liquid Wiki

Mura88

Mura88

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Devices:Acer Liquid E Total Black

I've built 2.6.35 kernel based on commit 160d42d529f7a5563bbd7cd117c83b7f434f0c22 from android-msm-2.6.35.
(If there's someone crazy enough to try this on their Liquid, here's that particular boot.img).

I will try to get the kernel tree in a usable shape, merge all the outstanding commits and then open a new "Call for testing" topic :).

I have to admit, I'm really envious of the ability that you have in these things, I wish I had the time to learn this knowledge.

Acer Liquid E@MaxPower: LNP 1.9.2 (2.3.7) /ADW Launcher EX 1.3.3.56 /Overclock 998Mhz/V6 Script 512HP [6-12-75-90-95-125]
now Acer Liquid E 512MB Black Best Rom: LiquidNext 1.6.1 (2.3.4)
ex Htc Magic 32A 288MB Black Best Rom: Ginger Yoshi 1.2 (2.3.4) + farmatito Kernel

zabulus

zabulus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Is this usable boot.img for daily testing, or it is better to wait for new build and new topic?

errmsg

errmsg

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Is this usable boot.img for daily testing, or it is better to wait for new build and new topic?

No, it is just a hacked up build that works only when booted via fastboot (the display will be blank when flashed to the boot partition, I am investigating this).

Definitely broken: wifi (needs some minor adjustments), light sensor, 3D, framebuffer when booted in regular mode.

I haven't tested it a lot and that is only a proof of concept. I will post a new topic, in the mean time the interested parties may follow android-kernel-msm repository where I will be pushing changes once they are actually stable enough to be flashed on the devices.

Update: here's the POC patch for rev 160d42d529f7a5563bbd7cd117c83b7f434f0c22 bringing Acer Liquid support - android-msm-2.6.35-over-160d42d529f7a5563bbd7cd117c83b7f434f0c22.patch.gz, one needs to cherry-pick 8c5d33885dc14e05d755fc8270e9ca92ba8fcc73 into the branch for it to compile.

Edited by errmsg, 19 June 2013 - 06:48 PM.

My Acer Liquid Wiki

zabulus

zabulus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Reproduced sleep of death, but when I've plugged USB, phone had restarted. Here is last_kmsg dumped after restart:
http://pastebin.com/iv39Qhu4

PS. Also I've dumped kmsg and logcat AFTER restart just in case, doubt if they will be useful.

errmsg

errmsg

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Reproduced sleep of death, but when I've plugged USB, phone had restarted. Here is last_kmsg dumped after restart:
http://pastebin.com/iv39Qhu4

Great!

Re: restart - it may be that APPS CPU went into some unstable state, failed to reply to MODEM when USB got inserted and the MODEM watchdog rebooted the device.

Filed as bug #20. Could you please confirm that happened last time when the WiFi was also on?

My Acer Liquid Wiki

zabulus

zabulus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Great!

Re: restart - it may be that APPS CPU went into some unstable state, failed to reply to MODEM when USB got inserted and the MODEM watchdog rebooted the device.

Filed as bug #20. Could you please confirm that happened last time when the WiFi was also on?

Can not confirm anything, because I left my phone for a while. When I've returned it is already slept as Sleeping Beauty and doesn't respond to the power button. I have "2x battery app" it manages wifi turning on/off automatically. Periodically every 15 minutes it turns wifi on if screen is turned off.

Edited by zabulus, 20 June 2013 - 11:35 AM.

errmsg

errmsg

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Can not confirm anything, because I left my phone for a while. When I've returned it is already slept as Sleeping Beauty and doesn't respond to the power button. I have "2x battery app" it manages wifi turning on/off automatically. Periodically every 15 minutes it turns wifi on if screen is turned off.

Ok, I will keep the WiFi on to see whether it is related. Acer has implemented an interesting 2-level way of controlling WiFi power/MMC card detect (WiFi module is actually connected to the second SD card slot and works via SDIO) - both the userspace and BCM4329 module are able to turn the power to the card on and off and I have not yet understood all the implications of this.

Edited by errmsg, 20 June 2013 - 02:43 PM.

My Acer Liquid Wiki

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users