SAMSUNG I8000 (OMNIA2) ANDROID CM6NEW ROM V1

Guest argentinos

Guest titussol

Thank you argentinos for this amazing ROM. 

I have an old 8GB I8000 been idling for quite some times. So I went ahead installed version 7 ROM with my 8GB class 2 micro SD card (I only have class 2 card on hand). Just to share with everyone my experiences (May be it is due class 2 card been using): 

1. Wifi - I am able to turn on wifi and searched my signal. But when I try to connect to it, it will fail at the first few attempts. I need to connect at least more than 5 times then only successful. 

2. Damaged SD card error - After installed, when I fist boot up my Android, it showed damaged SD card. When I was trying to use camera function, it prompt me to insert SD card. I reboot a few times and reinsert SD card a few times as well. And finally this problem no longer exist. 

3. Battery - My battery drains pretty fast when I am using Android. With a full battery charge, if I play around with the apps or downloading from google play, battery reduced to around 50% within an hour. May be it was due to my old battery. 

4. Phone gets hot - I noticed some times my phone will get a little hot than normal when I am using Android. 

I am sharing the above as experiences, not complain about anything. :)

I am thinking to buy a class 10 card and reinstall the rom. But before I do it, I would like to ask everyone who are using this version 7 ROM at the moment, are you able to use Wechat, Instagram, Whatapps, Facebook, etc through this ROM? Thank you. 

Edited by titussol

Guest robrazil
Dude... I installed the V7 on my Omnia 2 too and the battery discharges quickly when I using few functions. In Android, the battery keep 36 hours on stand by and on phone in 2G mode. In WM, the battery keep 4 or more days.
In Android we lost the front camera and the light flash of the back camera not works. When I try to film any thing, the camera freezes and I need restart the smartphone.
About wi-fi, I need activate it 5 times or more to find the wi-fi nets.
I think that the battery discharges quick because the Android runs over of WM. If there was a way the Android be run alone, without WM, I think that the battery would last more hours.
So... exist some bugs to fix and some resources to create that I am desiring to use Android on Omnia 2 and I am studying buy a new Samsung smartphone similar to Omnia 2. I saw the Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini model. Look the comparative about the 2 models on page http://www.tudocelular.com/compare/1799-2355.html .
The page is on portuguese language but is easy to understand.

Guest argentinos

we know the issues. .... but very few are working on them. 36 hours standby in accepted for a ported ROM. and it is not because android is running over wm. wm is just used to launch android through haret and then dissapears. even native android devices that run ported ROMS do not respond the same good as with factory ROM.

our biggest problem is the kernel. we have an old kernel and no matter how many improvements we give to the rest ROM without a better kernel we can not expect many things.

i am working on kernel 2.6.X.X https://github.com/argentinos/o2droid

erikcas was working on kernel 3.0 https://github.com/erikcas/spica-3.0

if you want a better ROM for our phone help on these projects or try to improve existing ROMS. i started improving linuxsight ROMS and TWISTER ROM is evolution on frenkiedroid ROM

if you want to get resources about our phone and studying galaxy s3 mini you are on a wrong path. these phone have completely different architecture. s3c6410 vs NovaThor U8420. you can almost port nothing from there. you should check for phones with similar to ours architecture. and since we have samsung chipset you should check for phones with samsung native chipset. a good place to start it here

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=pdamaster&posted=1&cpu=a6410

it's evolution is here s5pc100 http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=2812&c=samsung_galaxy_s_sc-02b

then here s5pc110 http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=pdamaster&posted=1&cpu=a10010

then here sppc210 http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=pdamaster&posted=1&cpu=a10009

you can even borrow some evolution from this phone

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5_%28octa_core%29-6237.php

since it is samsung it will have more simillarities compared to qualcomm or other chipset manufacturer. but keep in mind our phone is armv6 (vfp) and not armv7

this wiki will help you with our phone's hardware too. http://omnia2droid.googlecode.com/svn/wiki/

also keep in mind these sites for their efforts on our chipset

http://forum.samdroid.net/

http://www.jetdroid.org/

i hope you can help. the more the better and faster

Edited by argentinos

Guest robrazil
Sorry for my bad english.
I cannot help because I'm not developer and not understand nothing about mobile programming.
I recognize every effort and dedication of all developers that are working hard to give to Omnia 2 a good Android but when we are accustomed to use many resources on WM and we lose these resources on V7 ROM or on TWISTER ROM, so, it is very hard to deal with this situation.
I like very much of Omnia 2 but unfortunately today is used many new app that aren't made for him anymore on WM OS, and have the battery for 5 or 6 hours if the data mobile connection is activated on Android OS, it is also very complicated.
What I meant is that I am thinking in swap the Omnia 2 for a new smartphone like Galaxy S3 MINI because the resources on 2 models is very similar like front and back cameras with respectives pixels and resolutions, screen size, screen resolution, screen type, width x height x length, weight, and more.
Is only this.  :blush:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest NachoARG

Hi ! i would like to help testing on my i8000, thats all i can offer, i dont have the knowledge to help more...

I just installed on my SD as u driscribe... I should run Haret.exe from My Storage (internal memory) or from SD? I tried both and freezes on the image...

Installed on Class 10 microSD 8 Gb, partitions as u describe...

r u still working on this proyect?

Edited by NachoARG

Guest argentinos

if you installed on sd YES you run haret from storage (internal memory).

i am working on our phone. yes. but next step in much more difficult. our phone is close to it's limits. we do not have newer drivers. dev stopped working on android 2.2 - 2.3 apps. we can only do some minor changes unless we can have a new kernel.

maybe i am alone working on this phone. and the job to be done is too much for 1 person, plus i do not have plenty of free time now.

anyone knows how to operate a linux computer or anyone can change permissions on some files in his phone can contribute. just pm me

Edited by argentinos

Guest NachoARG

finally I got installed V7 on internal memory, I´ve been using it for a few days, I'll let U know some issues I have on my phone...

always on PERFORMANCE

- After a call, screen dont came up...(Not all the times) i try touching every key.... ( my proximity sensor is broken, this would be the problem?)

- Unexpected freezes...

- WiFi consumes too much battery and raises up the temperature...

- Sometimes the phone gets slow... ex. i tap something and a sec later responds or even more...

- Radio turn off when screen locks

- Error message of google talk...I try to unisntall it, but I can't

thats what I find so far...

thanks for all!

Edited by NachoARG

Guest argentinos

finally I got installed V7 on internal memory, I´ve been using it for a few days, I'll let U know some issues I have on my phone...

always on PERFORMANCE

- After a call, screen dont came up...(Not all the times) i try touching every key.... ( my proximity sensor is broken, this would be the problem?)

- Unexpected freezes...

- WiFi consumes too much battery and raises up the temperature...

- Sometimes the phone gets slow... ex. i tap something and a sec later responds or even more...

- Radio turn off when screen locks

- Error message of google talk...I try to unisntall it, but I can't

thats what I find so far...

thanks for all!

- normally shouldn't be your broken proximity, since you also press keys

- unexpected freezes occur because this is beta version too, do not forget

-wifi consumes much energy on born android phones too

-phone gets slow is cause of low memory. after it cleans memory it runs better again. maybe i should publish another lite version with fewer system apps

-to delete google talk use some Root File Explorer go to system/app and delete talk.apk

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NachoARG

Hi again... I downgrade to version 6, in my case work better...

-works a little faster

-wifi do not heat up the phone and consumes less battery

-my screen problem seems to be fixed (?)

-

but...

-fm radio turn off when screen locks...hearing music its all ok
-camera works a couple of times, I can say it dosnt work

I own you the antutu test results, I will try to post them on this week...

Baterry consuption its 5% per hour (at a low ussage, using the phone a little more (whatsapp, facebook on browser, sms) will make it up to 12% hour), I didnt notice big difference between Conservative or performance...

Guest Mohammadhsnpr

i will, soon.

I prepare a ROM also adopted for Kexec with using ipaq3870 kernels (reboot from Android to Android without booting to WM).

Hi antoxa1998

when is prepared your Kexec program .i am waiting impatiently.

• 2 months later...
Guest argentinos
SAMSUNG I8000 (OMNIA2) ANDROID CM6NEW ROM Version 8

- Remove the lock kitkat that previous versions had and replace the stock locking (which its appearance has been modified to look like ics) which is faster. Anyone can install from the market any LOCK he wants. I recommended the holo locker.
- Changed wifi connection method and I hope this can somehow corrected the error that prevented the phone either to identify or connect to networks. Default is 11 channels, because I think 13 is too crowded. If you can not see your router, change the router to 11 channels or 13 channels on the phone.
- Changed the clock. Now we have jelly bean clock (not ics as before). The alarm works properly (tried)
- Changed the libs on more recent versions
- Replace the default messaging application to send 160 Greek/hebrew etc characters. The additional application handcent SMS removed
- Changed the dialer (phone.apk) with improved signal and better in call menu
- Upgraded other applications on the latest froyo (2.2.3) and all google applications and third in the latest versions, as are on play store
- Applied ics, jelly bean theme in applications and settings
- About 5% improvement in speed.

Note : Also here all changes made ​​having in mind speed, the screen type our mobile (resistive), the platform version of course ( android froyo ) and the look of latest distributions android (4.0 - 4.4). The optional, applications are not installed on the system , so anyone who does not need them, can uninstall them and lighten his cell phone. Anyone who needs them can keep them and make his mobile phone look like more modern. There are other similar applications in the market, but they are not free and so since it is not allowed to distribute commercial applications , anyone who wants can buy them and make his phone beautiful / faster .

Photos of new features attached

installation instructions same as here
http://www.modaco.co...-9#entry2191511
link for download in the first post.

post-931240-0-87972800-1414858000_thumb.

post-931240-0-21654300-1414858007_thumb.

post-931240-0-90913800-1414858019_thumb.

post-931240-0-43305400-1414858027_thumb.

post-931240-0-24502700-1414858037_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Argentinos,

I am happy to see you yet working on this phone.

Unfortunately i have broken my phone on the last months. But i will try to fix it myself and back here for more tests.

Have you seen the work on Android Kit Kat running on Bada phones like Samsung Wave?

I dont know anything about programming , but maybe they job on that can help here.

PS: Sorry for my poor english.

Guest argentinos

Samsung wave (s8500 has a stonger cpu and cpu). it is 3 generations after our cpu. for this cpu samsung released native android 2.3 and so drivers. for our phone's chipset samsung only released android 2.2 drivers. programmers managed our chipset to run up to android 4.0 (ics). but never run jelly bean or kit kat. theoritically it is possible, if you have enough programmers for writing a proper kernel, proper drivers, framework etc

But we do not have them. and even if we had them, our phone has only 256mb of ram, plus resistive screen, plus slow cpu

An example. on antutu our phone can give the most 1250 points. Wave can give more than 1850. 50% more. Wave has 390 mb RAM. so for a number of reasons our phone can not run kit kat or jelly bean

Even for ics, do not feel jealous of newer versions of android on old phones, because most of these portings are crippled. many functions are lost.

Our phone already has a proper 2.3 android running. but since it lacks camera, wifi, etc i prefer to have froyo on my phone, that has almost all functions working.

i would be happy to see more people even as testers on our phone.

Guest Mohammadhsnpr

Hi Argentinos,

I 'm testing your rom.Thanks for your good work.

Just a question ?

Can kexec program (reboot from Android to Android without booting to WM) implemented in your ROM ?

Thank you for the answer.

Guest jingang

Samsung wave (s8500 has a stonger cpu and cpu). it is 3 generations after our cpu. for this cpu samsung released native android 2.3 and so drivers. for our phone's chipset samsung only released android 2.2 drivers. programmers managed our chipset to run up to android 4.0 (ics). but never run jelly bean or kit kat. theoritically it is possible, if you have enough programmers for writing a proper kernel, proper drivers, framework etc

But we do not have them. and even if we had them, our phone has only 256mb of ram, plus resistive screen, plus slow cpu

An example. on antutu our phone can give the most 1250 points. Wave can give more than 1850. 50% more. Wave has 390 mb RAM. so for a number of reasons our phone can not run kit kat or jelly bean

Even for ics, do not feel jealous of newer versions of android on old phones, because most of these portings are crippled. many functions are lost.

Our phone already has a proper 2.3 android running. but since it lacks camera, wifi, etc i prefer to have froyo on my phone, that has almost all functions working.

i would be happy to see more people even as testers on our phone.

Version 8 of CM6NEW ROM V8,the link 0f it was wrong now,can you upload it again or give the version 8 file to me?thanks

Guest argentinos
CM6NEW version 8 with 2.6.32.9 kexec kernel
It is the same on everything with normal cm6new v8 (with kukafei kernel), except the kernel. New features are
- used the kernel and modules from here http://www.modaco.com/topic/354117-k.../#entry1953158
- Unfortunately a bit more power consumption i think
- removed some apps
- added honso multiling keyboard that has arrows and is very helpful with our resistive screen
- added touchpal contacts for faster calling
(two last features can be uninstalled for lighter experience)

No new photos

Edited by argentinos

• 3 months later...
Guest qwertyass

this omnia android, if i pull out the battery, it will revert back to winmo right? and i have to re-execute the haret.exe?

Edited by qwertyass

Guest argentinos

this omnia android, if i pull out the battery, it will revert back to winmo right? and i have to re-execute the haret.exe?

exactly. unless you install some Boot loader and it will do the job automatically for you.

• 2 months later...
Guest lauredis

SAMSUNG I8000 (OMNIA2) ANDROID CM6NEW ROM Version 8

- Remove the lock kitkat that previous versions had and replace the stock locking (which its appearance has been modified to look like ics) which is faster. Anyone can install from the market any LOCK he wants. I recommended the holo locker.

- Changed wifi connection method and I hope this can somehow corrected the error that prevented the phone either to identify or connect to networks. Default is 11 channels, because I think 13 is too crowded. If you can not see your router, change the router to 11 channels or 13 channels on the phone.

- Changed the clock. Now we have jelly bean clock (not ics as before). The alarm works properly (tried)

- Changed the libs on more recent versions

- Replace the default messaging application to send 160 Greek/hebrew etc characters. The additional application handcent SMS removed

- Changed the dialer (phone.apk) with improved signal and better in call menu

- Upgraded other applications on the latest froyo (2.2.3) and all google applications and third in the latest versions, as are on play store

- Applied ics, jelly bean theme in applications and settings

Note : Also here all changes made ​​having in mind speed, the screen type our mobile (resistive), the platform version of course ( android froyo ) and the look of latest distributions android (4.0 - 4.4). The optional, applications are not installed on the system , so anyone who does not need them, can uninstall them and lighten his cell phone. Anyone who needs them can keep them and make his mobile phone look like more modern. There are other similar applications in the market, but they are not free and so since it is not allowed to distribute commercial applications , anyone who wants can buy them and make his phone beautiful / faster .

Photos of new features attached

FANTASTIC WORK , exactly what I need

• 1 month later...
Guest rloaiza

greetings. i want to talk about my experience with this rom for i8000. I installed following instructions step by step and  i had two problems. First, message about damage sd card but following one post of this topic i set thw swap partition to be less than 256KB an the problem dissapear. Of course i had to repeat install procedure and sd card work the way it shoulbe working.

Now the only problem i have is with sim card because my Omnia Ii can´t recognize my sim card, i try with another one with same results. I was searching in posts for this topic a solution but i can´t fin any one. Please, if Argentinos or any other one can guide me to resolve this problem i will be very thankfull. Sorry for my english. For instance, i an writting fron Venezuela and both sim cards are from Movilnet operator.

• 1 month later...
Guest argentinos

sorry for late answer. i was missing on vacations. Some people mentioned incompatibility with their provider's SIM cards. Since all my country's providers' SIM cards are properly working i can not face the problem myself and properly solve it. My suggestion is install twister v2 ROM. it is very good too. If you do not like it you can get parts from my ROM and make your unique ROM yourself.

see here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2342764

Edited by argentinos

• 3 months later...