problems - battery etc, is this common?

Guest John Player

Guest John Player

Howdy!

I got this phone the other week and overall Im impressed with it but Ive a few issues, I dunno if its me going mad or if the phone is dodgy.

I got it from Vodafone Ireland, but got an unlock code and have a 3 Ireland sim card in it. Its not rooted or anything like that.

Firstly is the battery, its woeful, after 2.5 hours on 3G, its gone, Ive the screen set to automatic brightness, and the only apps ive installed that would run in the background are Viber and Dropbox. Im usually very careful about what apps I put on phones and try and keep it to a minimun.

The other thing is, its got a habit of restarting when its in my pocket, never when im actually using it. The only way I actually notice is when I take it out and its asking for my SIM Pin. I was thinking maybe I was hitting the on/off switch without knowing but I even got a cover off ebay which means Ive to apply more pressure to the buttons on the side but that made no difference either:(

Another thing is that I was lying in bed using it this morning and a message came up saying the temperature was below its operating range, which is mad because it was about 15C (thats t-shirt weather here in Dublin!)

The final thing is, I did a factory reset on it through the settings menu and now when I turn it on, it says something about 0086103 and a load of numbers after that being a "null language pack" or something to the like.

My firmware version is G510-0100V100R001C02B171

Serial 4C8BEFA&3C1E

Does anyone know if this is a dodgy batch?

Would flashing a newer firmware sort all of these problems or should I bring it back to the shop and get a replacement?

Thanks a mill,

JP

Guest ZolaIII

Well this is not a normal behavior! I think that the phone cashing is badly placed & when you put the pressure to it phone restarts! This is usually cased bi hevi drop or things like that!

In your case it's even casing instability issues of various soc parts. Other words go to service & on the way to there drink a beer for me!

P's if they offer you another phone insist that they unlock it!

Guest Voxpop2011

John, I was having exactly the same problem and thought it was because I had messed up the root hack. I apply two levels of security to my phones, sim lock and screen lock that require a four digit sequence to unlock. My phone would constantly restart, often requiring me to enter the sim unlock PIN and the battery runs down really fast.

It has gone back to Vodafone because after a factory reset, it became stuck on the Huawei logo. Take it back and explain what is happening and that you know about it happening to another person.

Guest John Player

Hey Zola & Voxpop,

Thanks very much for getting back. I wont get a chance to head into the particular shop I got it in until Friday next week, Im going to give them a call tomorrow though, I might be able to drop it into a local VF shop and have them send it off for repair instead.

(Ive the lockscreen PIN on it also, always have that on my phones given the amount of phones I loose!)

Ill let ye know how it goes:)

Guest Voxpop2011

John, you don't have to take the phone back to the shop where you bought it. Don't leave it too long as the clock is ticking in terms of your right to seek a refund, if you wish.

Guest John Player

Howdy!

Im going to be back in town on Monday so Ill pop into the shop I got it from then.

As its faulty Im entitled to a refund or replacement, not a repair. The laws are usually fairly clear cut in Ireland about that so I cant see there being an issue.

Ill keep ye abreast.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
Guest John Player

Hey all,

I got the phone back today, I havent really had a chance to play with it as Ive to wait for a sim unlock code to come on monday.

it was replaced, the problem with it getting a small bang on the back and restarting has gone, hopefully the battery will be fine when i plug the sim in and start using mobile data, it seemed grand on the wifi earlier though.

the guy in the shop said they had three other ones there that were in for repair also...

ill be very happy if alls well with it, otherwise ill be going in looking for my cold hard cash back.

Guest Voxpop2011
... it was replaced, the problem with it getting a small bang on the back and restarting has gone ...

I am sorry, what does this mean?

... the guy in the shop said they had three other ones there that were in for repair also...

I have been in a Vodafone shop twice and seen this model bagged up for return.

• 2 months later...
Guest John Player

Hey Voxpop,

Apologies Im just seeing this now.

The original problem was... if i dropped the phone on a hard surface from a distance of an inch+ in the air it would restart. I think that what was causing it to switch off in my pockets. Sometimes the trousers do be bet onto me! (tight) so the pressure in my pocket might of been causing the restarts.

since i got it back its been mostly grand, its not restarting and ive given it a few drops as well to check and its fine, the battery is woeful but hopefully when i update the rom it will change - but its still better then it was before it was replaced.

Ive noticed that the volume on calls goes on say 1 in every 7 or 8 calls (as in a minute or two into the call the person on the other end cant hear me but i can still hear them). but im guessing thats the rom as well so ill see how it goes after the update, its not a big thing for me really.

to be honest, phones and me dont last very long cos i usually end up loosing them after about 6 months so ill hang onto it until it bites the dust - i certainly wont be getting another Huawei phone again after the problems though. even if the updated ROM sorts it, i shouldnt have to go tricking around with a phone to fix it.

cheers:)

Edited by John Player

Guest Voxpop2011
... i certainly wont be getting another Huawei phone again after the problems though. even if the updated ROM sorts it, i shouldnt have to go tricking around with a phone to fix it.

Agreed - see my 'tale of woe' post. As a last ditch attempt to 'fix' the wretched thing, I am going to apply to Huawei for the unlock code and try a custom rom.