Vowney / Verne V5

Guest bryfly

Guest kieranswhite

Going to have another go at this on a different pc, really want to get the touch type recovery, not sure how long the volume/power buttons will last if using the old type of CWM a lot. Has anybody else tried tillaz package for upping recovery partition to 7mb?

No I don't want to because it apparently wipes all user data which would be a pain but I might try another day

Guest nsmacd1

Can anyone help?

I am using 1 x Vodafone SIM card in the V5, with Data Enabled (Using Vodafone data), but I have never been able to connect properly - ie I can't browse the web, access play store etc. unless I am using WiFi - Is there a setting I have missed somewhere?

Edited by nsmacd1

Guest kieranswhite

Can anyone help?

I am using 1 x Vodafone SIM card in the V5, with Data Enabled (Using Vodafone data), but I have never been able to connect properly - ie I can't browse the web, access play store etc. unless I am using WiFi - Is there a setting I have missed somewhere?

Which slot is it in? and have you set the correct apn settings? that's normally the problem

Guest bryfly

Going to have another go at this on a different pc, really want to get the touch type recovery, not sure how long the volume/power buttons will last if using the old type of CWM a lot. Has anybody else tried tillaz package for upping recovery partition to 7mb?

Well another couple of hours on different pc, still cannot get tillaz TWRP 7mb recovery to work, had another look at the other method tillaz posted just to lift the recovery to 7 mb, to much for me I think I will have to do with old version of CWM..... :(

Guest moorish

Well another couple of hours on different pc, still cannot get tillaz TWRP 7mb recovery to work, had another look at the other method tillaz posted just to lift the recovery to 7 mb, to much for me I think I will have to do with old version of CWM..... :(

I tried TWRP, but it also did not work for me. I got error in SP Flash Tool.

Guest bryfly

I tried TWRP, but it also did not work for me. I got error in SP Flash Tool.

hopefully tillaz will find time o look at the CWM touch recovery he uploaded and get it working........

Edited by bryfly

Guest nsmacd1

Which slot is it in? and have you set the correct apn settings? that's normally the problem

It is a normal sized SIM, in the slot to the left of the device (labelled GSM).

I have not set any APN settings (and wouldn't know how to!). The phone settings show the data connection as active, using 'Vodafone UK'.

For the 'Network Operator' tab I have selected 'Choose automatically' (Have also done manually to Vodafone UK) and both times have had the message 'Registered on network'

Edited by nsmacd1

So what was the answer regarding the 3G frequencies that the V5 supports?

Seems to be conflicting data from the V5 website and merimobiles.

V5 website only states 2100 MHz, merimobiles states 850/900/1900/2100MHz.

Is it issue in the UK? I'm planning to use it on Ovivo which runs on the Vodafone network but can't find reliable info either as to which frequencies it uses -some sites state just 2100, some state 900/2100.

Guest nsmacd1

Well the gsm one won't get 3g as far as I know so that might be why

I guess it's a case of getting a micro-SIM, or cutting down the original one then!

Guest blaster99999

I guess it's a case of getting a micro-SIM, or cutting down the original one then!

im using a ovivo sim card in my gsm/data slot , I bought a £2 sim cutter off ebay and cuts the sim perfect, but if you order a new sim from ovivo you can choose which you want either normal micro or nano .

Guest nsmacd1

im using a ovivo sim card in my gsm/data slot , I bought a £2 sim cutter off ebay and cuts the sim perfect, but if you order a new sim from ovivo you can choose which you want either normal micro or nano .

Managed to get one free from Vodafone, so should be OK in a few days!

Guest ChrisPNE

Managed to get one free from Vodafone, so should be OK in a few days!

Just cut your current SIM down to size with a pair of scissors. I did and it works perfectly.

Guest blaster99999

So what was the answer regarding the 3G frequencies that the V5 supports?

Seems to be conflicting data from the V5 website and merimobiles.

V5 website only states 2100 MHz, merimobiles states 850/900/1900/2100MHz.

Is it issue in the UK? I'm planning to use it on Ovivo which runs on the Vodafone network but can't find reliable info either as to which frequencies it uses -some sites state just 2100, some state 900/2100.

well on mobile uncle my vowney says it supports gsm 850//1800/1900 and wcdma 800/850/2000 which is a bit confusing. but works with my ovivo sim , ive seen 3g/h/h+ signals , sometimes holds onto g when 3g is available only major bug ive found with the vowney v5

Guest nsmacd1

Just wondering if anyone else gets 2x IMEI numbers when doing the *#06# command - Not sure if it's normal, or something I've added myself via backup restores?

I'm guessing that it may have something to do with having dual SIM slots?

Edited by nsmacd1

Guest tillaz

had another look at the other method tillaz posted just to lift the recovery to 7 mb, to much for me I think I will have to do with old version of CWM..... sad.png

this is what i posted but already done and packaged (TWRP Guide)

the only thing i can think of is that you "do" need to add the whole ROM so all boxes are ticked, the guide suggested otherwise.

so what you could try is adding the whole of the "bin" folder from the factory rom to the same place the recovey.img is in the TWRP package

(the official rom not a repack, should contain lots of .img files, delete the recovery.img first so it does not remove TWRP)

this is the only reason why it wont be working, especially if you can still pull stock recovery and flash CWM with the tool

Guest bryfly

so what you could try is adding the whole of the "bin" folder from the factory rom to the same place the recovey.img is in the package

(the official rom not a repack, should contain lots of .img files, delete the recovery.img first so it does not remove TWRP)

Thanks for the explanation, think it is getting beyond my skill set, so will stick with CWM and hope somebody comes up with a touch CWM in the future, pretty sure I haven't got the official ROM anyway......thanks a lot tillaz

Guest bryfly

Tried that and I get the attached error, if I tick recovery image it shoots red bar to 100% and stays there

oh dear.....since doing this I have lost my wifi.....MAC address = unavailable and IPv4 address unavailable.......tried restore from cwm no go.....any help guys

also looks like Bluetooth has stopped as well

Edited by bryfly

Guest tillaz

oh dear.....since doing this I have lost my wifi.....MAC address = unavailable and IPv4 address unavailable.......tried restore from cwm no go.....any help guys

not sure this would be the cause as it failed to flash anything, have you tried flashing a ROM with a full wipe ?

Guest kieranswhite

reflash the stock ROM and recovery using the Flash tool and then reinstall CWM and your ROM?(If all else fails)

Maybe you copied the wrong files or they got corrupted or something .

Edited by kieranswhite