Vowney / Verne V5

Guest bryfly

Guest bryfly

also, out of curiosity i would love to look at what the phone is using by default, so could someone pull system / etc / gps.conf and upload it ?

Found this file on my phone and got it onto my desktop, now stuck how do i open it or upload?

Tried wordpad and it gave me this ........... NTP_SERVER=uk.pool.ntp.org

Edited by bryfly

Guest bryfly

Found this file on my phone and got it onto my desktop, now stuck how do i open it or upload?

Tried wordpad and it gave me this ........... NTP_SERVER=uk.pool.ntp.org

managed to get mine working by using fasterGPS and changing continent to Asia and region to china. "gps test" started bouncing bar chart quite quickly even indoors, went to maps and got location within about 30 secs, position a bit erratic but at leat it works , when I use continent Europe and uk nothing works for ages. Switched maps off and on 5 mins later re located within 1 min....

Guest bryfly

totally agree found some posts with people who did factory reset and ended up the same, can manage to get into settings and system ui says not responding a lot, what would I need to do to cure that, as that might be my problem with a black screen.

Think the problem I had when I tried factory reset on my phone and turned it into a paper weight was caused because when I installed apex launcher I deleted the built in launcher in system /apps in error, so on factory reset it could not find a launcher.

Can somebody look on their V5 in system / app and see if the stock launcher app is there, if so what the stock launcher is and if possible copy it and post it........

Guest Rico_89

Think a lot of the shortcomings i've noticed are because of coming from a highly optimized custom rom, MIUI.

Bit more fluid though now after factory wipe think some of my pimp my rom tinkering may have messed it up a bit.

Also phone has had a small rattling sound that i couldn't figure out what it was for ages, turns out the camera flash is slightly loose, bit annoying. Hope we get some updates soon, as you say a custom rom in the future would be great too, reckon most of the firmware issues could easily be ironed out.

I think it has a lot to with your V5. Laggy UI, slow GPS movement and a rattling camera flash.. Oh man that sucks. I don't have any of those issues. I knew GPS might have been a pain because I've heard phones from China can be difficult getting GPS to work properly but your experience with this phone seems completely different to mine, unfortunately. I wonder if Merrimobiles will swap it for you seeing that you have a loose Flash.?

edit: just had a good listen and yep my flash rattles a bit too. Looks like an easy fix though..

the problem you's are all having with the GPS is probably because its using the wrong gps.conf for your country (since its a china phone)

also, out of curiosity i would love to look at what the phone is using by default, so could someone pull system / etc / gps.conf and upload it ?

I've uploaded my gps.conf file but there's nothing in it lol, just one line of text that I think faster gps installed... heck maybe faster gps created the whole file seeing how it wasn't even there for moorish.

I'll try your conf file later today and see.

Can somebody look on their V5 in system / app and see if the stock launcher app is there, if so what the stock launcher is and if possible copy it and post it........

I've uploaded the Launcher2.apk from the correct system folder.. Hope it works for you. oops too big to upload here so had to find a free one.. I just googled and ran down the list to one that didn't make me sign up..Click link and wait 15 seconds.

http://www.megafileu...ncher2-rar.html

gps.rar

Edited by Rico_89

Guest Sere83

I think it has a lot to with your V5. Laggy UI, slow GPS movement and a rattling camera flash.. Oh man that sucks. I don't have any of those issues. I knew GPS might have been a pain because I've heard phones from China can be difficult getting GPS to work properly but your experience with this phone seems completely different to mine, unfortunately. I wonder if Merrimobiles will swap it for you seeing that you have a loose Flash.?

edit: just had a good listen and yep my flash rattles a bit too. Looks like an easy fix though..

Thought rattling might be because post man threw mine over the fence! But if you got it too spose it must just be the way it is, not a major issue, just annoying. My Lag is sweet now after factory wipe, I suppose lag is all relative, its smooth now anyway, gonna post a video at some point too as just borrowed a video camera.

I tried GPS twice today using waze and Gmaps on the bus and out in my local area, no lock at all :-(. So odd. This stuff about GPS.conf sounds interesting though. Just wonder why I sometimes get a random lock out my window but then get nothing at all when i'm on bus or out and about. I tried faster GPS set to Asia and then Europe, did nothing to help. Incidentally I tried my mums GS2 on jellybean and she got no lock either! My nexus 7 on the other hand locks in a matter of few seconds.

Edited by Sere83

Guest bryfly

I've uploaded the Launcher2.apk from the correct system folder.. Hope it works for you. oops too big to upload here so had to find a free one.. I just googled and ran down the list to one that didn't make me sign up..Click link and wait 15 seconds.

Thanks for that, put the launcher2.apk into system/app and tried to install, fails to install any ideas how to make it install?

Most .apk seem to have an odex, is that the problem, launcher2.apk does not have one in my sys.

does your launcher2 .apk have an odex associated with it in your system/app, if so could post it.....cheers

Edited by bryfly

Guest Rico_89

Thanks for that, put the launcher2.apk into system/app and tried to install, fails to install any ideas how to make it install?

Most .apk seem to have an odex, is that the problem, launcher2.apk does not have one in my sys.

does your launcher2 .apk have an odex associated with it in your system/app, if so could post it.....cheers

First just place it on your micro sd card, then go to Settings / security / and check "Unknown Sources". Now run the app and see.

Here's the odex file though. http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/427685/Launcher2-rar.html

Guest bryfly

First just place it on your micro sd card, then go to Settings / security / and check "Unknown Sources". Now run the app and see.

tried your suggestion above........failed install

tried putting odex and launcher .apk into system/app....failed to install

tried install from rar ......failed

using root browser to install into system/app

any ideas people??

Guest Sere83

Got a reply about long GPS lock times from merimobiles...

I'm afraid that is the normal GPS locking period of this phone. Some other brands take 5-10 minutes to get a GPS lock. I think it's better if you increase the screen time minutes whenever you use GPS so that your phone won't have to reconnect again with GPS.

I have found a pretty definitive answer about the GPS issue in this video, watch until the end...seems pretty accurate...

Edited by Sere83

Guest Rico_89

any ideas people??

Just running an APK, that has been pulled from the app folder, doesn't work all the time.. Not sure how to get an apk from a working rom..

Got a reply about long GPS lock times from merimobiles...

I'm afraid that is the normal GPS locking period of this phone. Some other brands take 5-10 minutes to get a GPS lock. I think it's better if you increase the screen time minutes whenever you use GPS so that your phone won't have to reconnect again with GPS.

I have found a pretty definitive answer about the GPS issue in this video, watch until the end...seems pretty accurate...

I don't think that's the issue we are having.

We have a GPS chip because I get really good results in the GPS tester app, now that I am using a proper gps.conf file. Even when the file had little in it the results were average.

I'm still testing but in the GPS test app I get greater accuracy than my G300 ( V5 accuracy around 10 feet, G300 around 25 feet), but in Google maps the blue arrow on the V5 tends to move around a lot settling occasionally and still I can't get Street view to work a lot of the time. And this is with out data. I tried my running app and it seems to be more accurate but haven't given it a good test yet. Anyway still trying different things..

Edited by Rico_89

Guest Sere83

Just running an APK, that has been pulled from the app folder, doesn't work all the time.. Not sure how to get an apk from a working rom..

I don't think that's the issue we are having.

We have a GPS chip because I get really good results in the GPS tester app, now that I am using a proper gps.conf file. Even when the file had little in it the results were average.

I'm still testing but in the GPS test app I get greater accuracy than my G300 ( V5 accuracy around 10 feet, G300 around 25 feet), but in Google maps the blue arrow on the V5 tends to move around a lot settling occasionally and still I can't get Street view to work a lot of the time. And this is with out data. I tried my running app and it seems to be more accurate but haven't given it a good test yet. Anyway still trying different things..

Oh ok so did you flash the gps.conf file that tillaz posted?

Guest tillaz

Anyone fancy making a nandroid backup and uploading the system and boot.img ?

I might make a ROM or a few mods.

Make sure you have not modified the system though so its stock, or if anyone has a link

To the offical stock ROM that would be even better.

Guest kieranswhite
Guest bryfly

Think the problem I had when I tried factory reset on my phone and turned it into a paper weight was caused because when I installed apex launcher I deleted the built in launcher in system /apps in error, so on factory reset it could not find a launcher.

any ideas people??

Rico kindly pulled my deleted launcher app from his phone but it will not install on mine, any ideas how to get it to install??

Guest tillaz
Guest tillaz

Rico kindly pulled my deleted launcher app from his phone but it will not install on mine, any ideas how to get it to install??

send me the launcher.apk with the .odex

Guest Rico_89

Oh ok so did you flash the gps.conf file that tillaz posted?

No I just ripped the gps.conf file from the zip, backed up my original and then overwrote it with his.

Guest tillaz

hmm, i can't deoxdex just the apk, you will have to wait until i have the whole ROM downloaded then i can deoxed it,

the place i am downloading the whole ROM is super slow lol 21 mins left :ph34r:

Guest tillaz

oh c what you mean, both files have the same name but one is the odex hopefully have attached the odex zip

yeah the files you sent are fine,

if you have CWM installed i could make a zip to flash them back on the system ?