• Please log in to reply
703 replies to this topic

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300, Vowney V5.
  • Twitter:@Rico_89_

battery percentage as to be turned on if you want it to show , its in the battery settings

Thx missed that. :huh:

GPS update: I tried Pimp My Rom but the accuracy hovered around 15 to 18 feet and I couldn't get street view to work. I reset the GPS data with Faster GPS and the accuracy went back to around 8 to 12 feet and Street view worked perfectly; also I noticed that if I turn off GPS EPO Assistance the lock was more stable. I tried Runkeeper (running app) and it locked in seconds and I got full bar connection, so I'd be interested to hear if turning EPO off makes a difference for anyone else, however I will be trying again to make sure it wasn't a one off anomaly.

kieranswhite

kieranswhite

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Acend g300
  • Twitter:@@kieran9969

GPS update: I tried Pimp My Rom but the accuracy hovered around 15 to 18 feet and I couldn't get street view to work. I reset the GPS data with Faster GPS and the accuracy went back to around 8 to 12 feet and Street view worked perfectly; also I noticed that if I turn off GPS EPO Assistance the lock was more stable. I tried Runkeeper (running app) and it locked in seconds and I got full bar connection, so I'd be interested to hear if turning EPO off makes a difference for anyone else, however I will be trying again to make sure it wasn't a one off anomaly.

So what things would you recommend I do when my v5 arrives?? Like GPS settings, app problems etc..

Sere83

Sere83

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Tried this and doesnt work for me. My GPS basically doesnt really work, i get a lock after like 40 seconds then the screen goes off and the lock goes, takes a while to relock. Tried pimp my rom, faster gps, GPS engineering test, seemed to be working yesterday a bit, but then woke this morning tried and couldn't get a lock.

Also I find that there is significant touchscreen delay esepcially in google maps, like move finger accross the map and takes a second to move the map, also in scrolling round the OS in general can be a tiny bit delayed at times, any one experienced this?

Edited by Sere83, 18 June 2013 - 01:47 PM.

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Devices:coolpad F1 8297w & redmi note2
Gorilla glass or not......I emailed Vowney to check and also told them accessories are hard to come by, below is their response.

Hello.
We present V5 use is not really gorilla glass, this can reply to you, the VOWNEY brand is never do any parameters of the virtual standard, ensure the authenticity!
As for the accessories, our company all the accessories are complete, you can ask the sales of mobile phone to your business directly to our purchases and sales!
Thanks again for your attention to our VOWNEY V5! I hope you can get good use experience!

bit confusing the above but it looks like adverts showing gorilla glass are wrong and it looks like it is possible to order accessories direct from Vowney....

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Tried this and doesnt work for me. My GPS basically doesnt really work, i get a lock after like 40 seconds then the screen goes off and the lock goes, takes a while to relock. Tried pimp my rom, faster gps, GPS engineering test, seemed to be working yesterday a bit, but then woke this morning tried and couldn't get a lock.

Also I find that there is significant touchscreen delay esepcially in google maps, like move finger accross the map and takes a second to move the map, also in scrolling round the OS in general can be a tiny bit delayed at times, any one experienced this?

I don't have any delay what so ever, not in apps, home screens or app drawers.

Most of the time for me GPS locks within one minute but sometimes it takes a while. I'm still trying a few things though. I have a feeling that a third party rom will work better, in terms of GPS connection, but I want to run stock for a bit before I try another rom.

Oh I knew it wasn't Gorilla when I purchased so no surprise there.. I had thought that Silicone cases would be available but no big deal.. although a supply of good screen protectors would be great.

Edited by Rico_89, 18 June 2013 - 05:53 PM.

Sere83

Sere83

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

I don't have any delay what so ever, not in apps, home screens or app drawers.

Most of the time for me GPS locks within one minute but sometimes it takes a while. I'm still trying a few things though. I have a feeling that a third party rom will work better, in terms of GPS connection, but I want to run stock for a bit before I try another rom.

Oh I knew it wasn't Gorilla when I purchased so no surprise there.. I had thought that Silicone cases would be available but no big deal.. although a supply of good screen protectors would be great.

Yeah mine works now but is hit and miss. Sometimes locks sometimes doesn't. Got an email from merimobiles and they said do a factory reset and install GPS essentials which I did. The funny thing is that I installed Waze and that gets an instant lock, google maps on the other hand can take ages or just not lock at all. I also tested my Nexus 7 GPS just to compare and it got an almost instant lock on a few occasions.

Think a lot of the shortcomings i've noticed are because of coming from a highly optimized custom rom, MIUI.

Bit more fluid though now after factory wipe think some of my pimp my rom tinkering may have messed it up a bit.

Also phone has had a small rattling sound that i couldn't figure out what it was for ages, turns out the camera flash is slightly loose, bit annoying. Hope we get some updates soon, as you say a custom rom in the future would be great too, reckon most of the firmware issues could easily be ironed out.

Edited by Sere83, 18 June 2013 - 10:11 PM.

tillaz

tillaz

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts
  • Interests:Time & Space
  • Devices:Moto X
the problem you's are all having with the GPS is probably because its using the wrong gps.conf for your country (since its a china phone)

flash one of these in recovery

For Europe
NTP_SERVER=europe.pool.ntp.org
XTRA_SERVER_1=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/
xtra.bin
XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/
xtra.bin
XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/
xtra.bin
SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com
SUPL_PORT=7276
Attached File  Europe.zip   142.89KB   11 downloads

For UK
NTP_SERVER=uk.pool.ntp.org
xtra.bin
xtra.bin
xtra.bin
SUPL_PORT=7276
Attached File  United Kingdom.zip   143.34KB   9 downloads

also, out of curiosity i would love to look at what the phone is using by default, so could someone pull system / etc / gps.conf and upload it ?

moorish

moorish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Devices:Vowney V5, G300

the problem you's are all having with the GPS is probably because its using the wrong gps.conf for your country (since its a china phone)

flash one of these in recovery

For Europe

NTP_SERVER=europe.pool.ntp.org
xtra.bin
xtra.bin
xtra.bin
SUPL_PORT=7276
Attached File  Europe.zip   142.89KB   11 downloads

For UK
NTP_SERVER=uk.pool.ntp.org
xtra.bin
xtra.bin
xtra.bin
SUPL_PORT=7276
Attached File  United Kingdom.zip   143.34KB   9 downloads

also, out of curiosity i would love to look at what the phone is using by default, so could someone pull system / etc / gps.conf and upload it ?

I don't have a gps.conf at all in system / etc /.....guess that would explain why it's difficult to get a gps lock?

tillaz

tillaz

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts
  • Interests:Time & Space
  • Devices:Moto X
that's probably why then lol

here is a more advanced European version, what i use

XTRA_SERVER_1=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra2.bin
XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra2.bin
XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra2.bin

# DEBUG LEVELS: 0 - none, 1 - Error, 2 - Warning, 3 - Info
# 4 - Debug, 5 - Verbose
DEBUG_LEVEL = 3

# Intermediate position report, 1=enable, 0=disable
INTERMEDIATE_POS=0

# supl version 1.0
SUPL_VER=0x10000

# Error Estimate
# _SET = 1
# _CLEAR = 0
ERR_ESTIMATE=0

# GPS Capabilities bit mask
# SCHEDULING = 1
# MSB = 2
# MSA = 4
# ULP = 0x20
# default = MSA | MSB | SCHEDULING | ULP
CAPABILITIES=0x07

# Accuracy threshold for intermediate positions
# less accurate positions are ignored, 0 for passing all positions
# ACCURACY_THRES=5000

################################
##### AGPS server settings #####

# FOR SUPL SUPPORT, set the following
# SUPL_HOST=supl.host.com or IP
# SUPL_PORT=1234
SUPL_PORT=7276

# FOR C2K PDE SUPPORT, set the following
# C2K_HOST=c2k.pde.com or IP
# C2K_PORT=1234

# Sensor Settings

# Needs to be set explicitly based on sensor
# There is no default value.
#GYRO_BIAS_RANDOM_WALK=

SENSOR_ACCEL_BATCHES_PER_SEC=2
SENSOR_ACCEL_SAMPLES_PER_BATCH=5
SENSOR_GYRO_BATCHES_PER_SEC=2
SENSOR_GYRO_SAMPLES_PER_BATCH=5

# Sensor Control Mode (0=AUTO, 1=FORCE_ON)
SENSOR_CONTROL_MODE=0

# Enable or Disable Sensors for GPS use (0=Enable, 1=Disable)
SENSOR_USAGE=1

# Choose GSIFF sensor provider (1=DSPS, 2=Android NDK)
SENSOR_PROVIDER=1

# Indoor Positioning Settings
# 0: QUIPC disabled, 1: QUIPC enabled, 2: forced QUIPC only
QUIPC_ENABLED = 0

# EXTRA SETTINGS
# Enable or Disable Wiper (1=Enable, 0=Disable)
ENABLE_WIPER=0

####################################
# LTE Positioning Profile Settings
####################################
# 0: Enable RRLP on LTE(Default) 1: Enable LPP_User_Plane on LTE
LPP_PROFILE = 0
Attached File  Advanced-Europe.zip   143.7KB   34 downloads

moorish

moorish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Devices:Vowney V5, G300
Thanks very much for the advanced european version - greatly appreciated. I will give it a go.

It would be interesting to know if anyone elses V5 is also missing gps.conf, or is it just mine..

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Found this file on my phone and got it onto my desktop, now stuck how do i open it or upload?

Tried wordpad and it gave me this ........... NTP_SERVER=uk.pool.ntp.org

Edited by bryfly, 19 June 2013 - 05:17 AM.

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Found this file on my phone and got it onto my desktop, now stuck how do i open it or upload?

Tried wordpad and it gave me this ........... NTP_SERVER=uk.pool.ntp.org

managed to get mine working by using fasterGPS and changing continent to Asia and region to china. "gps test" started bouncing bar chart quite quickly even indoors, went to maps and got location within about 30 secs, position a bit erratic but at leat it works , when I use continent Europe and uk nothing works for ages. Switched maps off and on 5 mins later re located within 1 min....

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

totally agree found some posts with people who did factory reset and ended up the same, can manage to get into settings and system ui says not responding a lot, what would I need to do to cure that, as that might be my problem with a black screen.

Think the problem I had when I tried factory reset on my phone and turned it into a paper weight was caused because when I installed apex launcher I deleted the built in launcher in system /apps in error, so on factory reset it could not find a launcher.

Can somebody look on their V5 in system / app and see if the stock launcher app is there, if so what the stock launcher is and if possible copy it and post it........

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Think a lot of the shortcomings i've noticed are because of coming from a highly optimized custom rom, MIUI.

Bit more fluid though now after factory wipe think some of my pimp my rom tinkering may have messed it up a bit.

Also phone has had a small rattling sound that i couldn't figure out what it was for ages, turns out the camera flash is slightly loose, bit annoying. Hope we get some updates soon, as you say a custom rom in the future would be great too, reckon most of the firmware issues could easily be ironed out.

I think it has a lot to with your V5. Laggy UI, slow GPS movement and a rattling camera flash.. Oh man that sucks. I don't have any of those issues. I knew GPS might have been a pain because I've heard phones from China can be difficult getting GPS to work properly but your experience with this phone seems completely different to mine, unfortunately. I wonder if Merrimobiles will swap it for you seeing that you have a loose Flash.?

edit: just had a good listen and yep my flash rattles a bit too. Looks like an easy fix though..

I've uploaded my gps.conf file but there's nothing in it lol, just one line of text that I think faster gps installed... heck maybe faster gps created the whole file seeing how it wasn't even there for moorish.

I'll try your conf file later today and see.

Can somebody look on their V5 in system / app and see if the stock launcher app is there, if so what the stock launcher is and if possible copy it and post it........

I've uploaded the Launcher2.apk from the correct system folder.. Hope it works for you. oops too big to upload here so had to find a free one.. I just googled and ran down the list to one that didn't make me sign up..Click link and wait 15 seconds.

http://www.megafileu...ncher2-rar.html

Attached Files

• Attached File  gps.rar   94bytes   9 downloads

Edited by Rico_89, 19 June 2013 - 09:14 AM.

Sere83

Sere83

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

I think it has a lot to with your V5. Laggy UI, slow GPS movement and a rattling camera flash.. Oh man that sucks. I don't have any of those issues. I knew GPS might have been a pain because I've heard phones from China can be difficult getting GPS to work properly but your experience with this phone seems completely different to mine, unfortunately. I wonder if Merrimobiles will swap it for you seeing that you have a loose Flash.?

edit: just had a good listen and yep my flash rattles a bit too. Looks like an easy fix though..

Thought rattling might be because post man threw mine over the fence! But if you got it too spose it must just be the way it is, not a major issue, just annoying. My Lag is sweet now after factory wipe, I suppose lag is all relative, its smooth now anyway, gonna post a video at some point too as just borrowed a video camera.

I tried GPS twice today using waze and Gmaps on the bus and out in my local area, no lock at all :-(. So odd. This stuff about GPS.conf sounds interesting though. Just wonder why I sometimes get a random lock out my window but then get nothing at all when i'm on bus or out and about. I tried faster GPS set to Asia and then Europe, did nothing to help. Incidentally I tried my mums GS2 on jellybean and she got no lock either! My nexus 7 on the other hand locks in a matter of few seconds.

Edited by Sere83, 19 June 2013 - 10:49 AM.

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

I've uploaded the Launcher2.apk from the correct system folder.. Hope it works for you. oops too big to upload here so had to find a free one.. I just googled and ran down the list to one that didn't make me sign up..Click link and wait 15 seconds.

http://www.megafileu...ncher2-rar.html

Thanks for that, put the launcher2.apk into system/app and tried to install, fails to install any ideas how to make it install?

Most .apk seem to have an odex, is that the problem, launcher2.apk does not have one in my sys.

does your launcher2 .apk have an odex associated with it in your system/app, if so could post it.....cheers

Edited by bryfly, 19 June 2013 - 11:03 AM.

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Thanks for that, put the launcher2.apk into system/app and tried to install, fails to install any ideas how to make it install?

Most .apk seem to have an odex, is that the problem, launcher2.apk does not have one in my sys.

does your launcher2 .apk have an odex associated with it in your system/app, if so could post it.....cheers

First just place it on your micro sd card, then go to Settings / security / and check "Unknown Sources". Now run the app and see.

Here's the odex file though. http://www.megafileu...ncher2-rar.html

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

First just place it on your micro sd card, then go to Settings / security / and check "Unknown Sources". Now run the app and see.

tried your suggestion above........failed install
tried putting odex and launcher .apk into system/app....failed to install
tried install from rar ......failed

using root browser to install into system/app

any ideas people??

Sere83

Sere83

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Got a reply about long GPS lock times from merimobiles...

I'm afraid that is the normal GPS locking period of this phone. Some other brands take 5-10 minutes to get a GPS lock. I think it's better if you increase the screen time minutes whenever you use GPS so that your phone won't have to reconnect again with GPS.

I have found a pretty definitive answer about the GPS issue in this video, watch until the end...seems pretty accurate...

Edited by Sere83, 19 June 2013 - 01:27 PM.

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

tried your suggestion above........failed install
tried putting odex and launcher .apk into system/app....failed to install
tried install from rar ......failed

using root browser to install into system/app

any ideas people??

Just running an APK, that has been pulled from the app folder, doesn't work all the time.. Not sure how to get an apk from a working rom..

Got a reply about long GPS lock times from merimobiles...

I'm afraid that is the normal GPS locking period of this phone. Some other brands take 5-10 minutes to get a GPS lock. I think it's better if you increase the screen time minutes whenever you use GPS so that your phone won't have to reconnect again with GPS.

I have found a pretty definitive answer about the GPS issue in this video, watch until the end...seems pretty accurate...

I don't think that's the issue we are having.

We have a GPS chip because I get really good results in the GPS tester app, now that I am using a proper gps.conf file. Even when the file had little in it the results were average.

I'm still testing but in the GPS test app I get greater accuracy than my G300 ( V5 accuracy around 10 feet, G300 around 25 feet), but in Google maps the blue arrow on the V5 tends to move around a lot settling occasionally and still I can't get Street view to work a lot of the time. And this is with out data. I tried my running app and it seems to be more accurate but haven't given it a good test yet. Anyway still trying different things..

Edited by Rico_89, 19 June 2013 - 02:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users