Jiayu G3S GPS

Guest RoVlad

Guest RoVlad

I own a G3N phone for the moment and i simply love it in any way except for the GPS wich sucks , so i intend to purchase a G3S but so far i didnt found any reviews about it and its GPS comparing to G3/N so if there are any owner please write your feedback about G3S GPS .

Thank you very much :)

Guest RussellS

I don't know why but the GPS seems to be crap on all the Chinese smartphones. I've got a Jiayu G3 (original version) which is not particularly good and I've got an UMI X1S which is totally useless.

However, NicolasG has posted that he has a Jiayu G4 and the GPS is very good - see here http://www.modaco.co...4/#entry2135136

Of course, this doesn't help you with the G3S but there is a possibility if they’ve got it right with the G4 then they have got it right on the G3S as they came out around the same time.

Guest RoVlad

Exactly my friend ... that was what i suspected too. After reading the post about G4 and considering the fact that G4 and G3S got the same chipset i expect the same from G3S but i have to be sure about it ... as i said i love the G3 design ... the extra bit of bulky makes it perfect for me :P and the size is perfect also plus i love the camera even if g4 have 13 mpx i love th 8mpx camera on G3 series but i still wait to know if it's worthy to buy G3S considering the GPS issue

Guest tomcat_

Exactly my friend ... that was what i suspected too. After reading the post about G4 and considering the fact that G4 and G3S got the same chipset i expect the same from G3S but i have to be sure about it ... as i said i love the G3 design ... the extra bit of bulky makes it perfect for me :P and the size is perfect also plus i love the camera even if g4 have 13 mpx i love th 8mpx camera on G3 series but i still wait to know if it's worthy to buy G3S considering the GPS issue

there are a few solutions in modaco and other forums about the gps. Also there are some ROMs for G3/N that have a far better performance on GPS, you should try and have a look around.

I too own a G3N and on the original ROM i had to tweak it as per instructions around the internet to improve its perfromance. After the tweaking the gps test was locking in less than a minute and google maps was talking a bit longer.

I've used a couple of custom roms like envirus rom and evolution rom and both are locking on gps test in less than 30 secs

Guest 2hulls

so there are no G3S owner in here? disappointing

writing from spain, most of us are still waiting for the G3S coming from china. we started a comunity buy of more than 150 buyers en HTCmania forum. maybe some pacience is still needed...

there are a few around, but GPS seems to be a bit of a lottery, some are working, others with problems.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest robo27

Hi RoVlad - this could be your lucky day. I have news about G3S GPS performance and it's good.

Like you I own a G3, bought in November, so using the original A500 chipset, unlike your G3N. Overall a good mobile for the price but a couple of weak areas. In my case the cellphone signal is weaker than I would like and weaker than my wife's G3, which is also on the original chipset but bought in January. The second weak point is the GPS. I can get a fix indoors next to a window and obviously outdoors. This is usually with the aid of AGPS, EPO etc. but in use the signal is prone to dropout which can be a nuisance if being used for car navigation. I wanted to use GPS in my car but after trials decided it was impractical. I was even considering fitting my car with a GPS booster device.

Then one day I was surfing everyones favourite auction site. I was not really looking to change my mobile when I saw a G3S on auction from Hong Kong. I was aware of its existence and its spec so I thought why not place a bid. This I did and won the phone for £101 delivered. Result! Even better when it arrived by airmail in 7 days. It could easily have been 30 days.

My view was that I could always sell the G3 and that the Jiayu may have learnt a few lessons before marketing the G3S. I was not disappointed.

I find the uprated processor gives the G3S faster performance when surfing, the cellphone signal is improved for me, but this obviously depends on where you are and who your provider is.

On wifi my maximum speed is 54Mbps which is the G standard but my router cannot handle a higher rate than this so I cannot tell if the phone could give the N standard which is 150Mbps. Maybe it can but Jiayu spec details are unclear. I think the new chipset caters for the N standard but don't know if Jiayu have implemented that feature like they probably have on the G4.

Anyway, enough of all that. I now have a phone where the GPS is acceptable. I have only had it for 2 weeks but have done one 10 mile navigation in my car that was completely successful, with no signal dropouts, albeit on a sunny day. I now am able to get a fix indoors away from a window and obviously outdoors. I just tried getting a cold fix outdoors without using AGPS and it took 80 secs initially from cold. Subsequent fixes could be got within 5 secs.

Normally, I use AGPS and EPO assistance and an outdoor cold fix can be expected within 20 or 30 secs.

I have taken advantage of certain Apps to aid this process. FasterGPS is used once to ensure your mobile uses the correct NTP server (ie. for UK in my case). Normally, I also use GPS Test for firing up the GPS, selecting EPO and AGPS, and for clearing old AGPS data before updating with fresh AGPS data.

One other bonus for the G3S`is that full HD 1080 video can be shot, although it is quite hungry on storage in this mode. Not to mention Jellybean 4.2.1 which in this case is a Lewa version.

I took a stab in the dark by buying the G3S. I am not disappointed.

I hope this info is of some use to you, even though I have rambled a bit.

Cheers for now

Guest robo27

Hi RoVlad - forgot to mention GPS accuracy. My G3 is accurate to about 50 feet, whereas the G3S is more like 10 feet, which is good enough for me.

Cheers.

Guest RoVlad

Hi RoVlad - this could be your lucky day. I have news about G3S GPS performance and it's good.

Like you I own a G3, bought in November, so using the original A500 chipset, unlike your G3N. Overall a good mobile for the price but a couple of weak areas. In my case the cellphone signal is weaker than I would like and weaker than my wife's G3, which is also on the original chipset but bought in January. The second weak point is the GPS. I can get a fix indoors next to a window and obviously outdoors. This is usually with the aid of AGPS, EPO etc. but in use the signal is prone to dropout which can be a nuisance if being used for car navigation. I wanted to use GPS in my car but after trials decided it was impractical. I was even considering fitting my car with a GPS booster device.

Then one day I was surfing everyones favourite auction site. I was not really looking to change my mobile when I saw a G3S on auction from Hong Kong. I was aware of its existence and its spec so I thought why not place a bid. This I did and won the phone for £101 delivered. Result! Even better when it arrived by airmail in 7 days. It could easily have been 30 days.

My view was that I could always sell the G3 and that the Jiayu may have learnt a few lessons before marketing the G3S. I was not disappointed.

I find the uprated processor gives the G3S faster performance when surfing, the cellphone signal is improved for me, but this obviously depends on where you are and who your provider is.

On wifi my maximum speed is 54Mbps which is the G standard but my router cannot handle a higher rate than this so I cannot tell if the phone could give the N standard which is 150Mbps. Maybe it can but Jiayu spec details are unclear. I think the new chipset caters for the N standard but don't know if Jiayu have implemented that feature like they probably have on the G4.

Anyway, enough of all that. I now have a phone where the GPS is acceptable. I have only had it for 2 weeks but have done one 10 mile navigation in my car that was completely successful, with no signal dropouts, albeit on a sunny day. I now am able to get a fix indoors away from a window and obviously outdoors. I just tried getting a cold fix outdoors without using AGPS and it took 80 secs initially from cold. Subsequent fixes could be got within 5 secs.

Normally, I use AGPS and EPO assistance and an outdoor cold fix can be expected within 20 or 30 secs.

I have taken advantage of certain Apps to aid this process. FasterGPS is used once to ensure your mobile uses the correct NTP server (ie. for UK in my case). Normally, I also use GPS Test for firing up the GPS, selecting EPO and AGPS, and for clearing old AGPS data before updating with fresh AGPS data.

One other bonus for the G3S`is that full HD 1080 video can be shot, although it is quite hungry on storage in this mode. Not to mention Jellybean 4.2.1 which in this case is a Lewa version.

I took a stab in the dark by buying the G3S. I am not disappointed.

I hope this info is of some use to you, even though I have rambled a bit.

Cheers for now

Thank you SO very much my friend :D

Now i am decided to upgrade to G3S and pass the old G3 to my gf.

I have been waiting for so long this review :) Thank you again for the time spent to write all this ... you made my day :D for real :P

Guest Blue_scarabs

Hi robo27,

Just wanted to say thanks very much for a very informative owners review. One of the main problems I've found is that the info on the web can be so conflicting. I read somewhere that the G3S didn't have Gorilla glass, though the G3 did, & that, as you mentioned yourself, it didn't have the N standard for WiFi. When I originally checked out the manufacturers site, neither Gorilla glass, or N was mentioned; checking it out recently though, both are now included in the specs.

One thing I've never seen mentioned is the FM radio frequency range. Is it the standard 88 - 108 Mhz? I probably used my phone as a radio more than a phone, so this would be of interest. Can you save the frequencies? How many stations can you save? If you've used the radio, is the sound quality OK? Does it have a graphic equaliser, or bass boost? Just wondered!

Anyway, I think you got a great deal for £101 so I might make an offer as the silver one I want is selling for 130 Pounds on that other site. ;)

Cheers

Blue

Edited by Blue_scarabs

Guest robo27

Hi Blue

Thanks for your comments. With regard to your questions, I'll do my best:

Screen - as far as I am concerned it is Gorilla glass, although I have not tested it for obvious reasons. G3 was Gorilla so why would it be changed for G3S. It feels like glass, just like that of the G3.

FM Radio - the range is 87.5 to 108MHz. You can save up to 14 frequencies. There is an autosearch feature that stores its findings in a list. In my case it only found 9 frequencies that it felt were strong enough to save in the list but I was able to save 5 more weaker stations manually. There is a toggle facility to move from one saved station to the next in the list, or the previous one, just like an MP3 player.

Of the 14 saved stations only 5 of them can be designated as "Favourites". The only benefit of being a favourite is that you can manually give it a name, which will display when that station is playing. The "non-favourites" in the list are identified just by the frequency when they are selected.

The sound quality I would say is good. This obviously is influenced by broadcast and earphone quality. On a good station with quiet speech I could not detect much in the way of background hiss and the overall tone on music is reasonable.

The FM radio feature is a true radio, not an internet feature transmitting FM stations. As such it requires an earphone to be inserted for its operation, as this also acts as the aerial. There is a selection that diverts the sound to the built in speaker but I noticed that the volume seemed quite low in this mode (ie. lower than when playing MP3 music through the speaker). An odd result but not one that is likely to be important to most people.

I can find no means of altering the tone either by graphic equaliser or bass boost, but I expect this requirement could be met by an appropriatte app. However, the sound quality through my cheap earphones seemed quite good, including the bass quality.

One other feature is the ability to make a recording of a broadcast.

That's it. You now know as much as me about the FM feature, which I do not normally use. I hope I have been able to help.

Cheers for now

Robo

Guest RussellS

Hi robo27,

Thanks very much for the real world review of the G3S. I too own the original G3 (purchased in January through Etotalk) and, on the whole, I think it was a good phone albeit with a few negative points. GPS is quite weak and unreliable, the bluetooth connection with my cars hands free is flaky and the worst thing is that my proximity sensor has lost it's calibration (see separate post).

I have since purchased an UMI X1S which is an excellent phone but has other drawbacks and I miss using my G3. So I have been thinking of getting a G3S but have been waiting to hear from someone who actually owns one.

I think you've just made my mind up.

Thanks

Guest Blue_scarabs

Hi robo27,

Once again, you've provided an insightful user overview of the functions of this phone, & have included information that doesn't appear anywhere else but is of importance to potential owners. It just goes to show that the manufacturer doesn't seem to have a clue about what purchasers require in the way of technical info, & instead just give out the most basic of information, with lots of pretty pictures! ( I have to confess though, I DO like the look of it)

Anyway, if I think of any more questions re this phone, I know who the expert is to ask.

Cheers,

Blue.

• 2 months later...
Guest zppinto

I need to "awake up" this post... :P
I wanna buy the G3s, however no one have made a comparison about the camera. I'm undecided to buy it, because I saw the Cubot GT99 that has a good camera, but about Jiayu I can only find samples of the G3 and not from G3s.
Can please someone confirm if the cameras are the same? Or if there is an improvement of picture quality?
Thank you :)

Edited by zppinto

• 2 months later...
Guest dreis911

I'm late in this topic but.... I'm undecided too in buying a Jiayu G4 Turbo or a Cubot One with MTK6589T (new).

I read somewhere that photos from Cubot are better... it looks like it has 2 Sony cameras (5Mpx + 12Mpx).

And Cubot has 8GB ROM while Jiayu has 4GB...

And Jiayu has a large ROM support that Cubot has not...

Anyone can comment on that?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest andrei80

Hello!(1st post)

Just joined this site because I saw it has an somewhat active comunity and a forum dedicated to Jiayu G series.

Received my G3T this morning and wanted to report besides it being very snappy, the GPS worked GREAT. I mean, I just went near a window in my appartment, 3/8 floor, enabled GPS and started the freshly installed Igo. One almost full signal sattelite appeared after 3 seconds, then another 3 and locked in under a minute, with above average signal. Even the sky was very cloudy, I was just hoping for it to barely see 1-2 satellites with low signal in these conditions, but it just amazed me. I hope it will keep up the good work.

Guest dreis911

Hello!(1st post)

Just joined this site because I saw it has an somewhat active comunity and a forum dedicated to Jiayu G series.

Received my G3T this morning and wanted to report besides it being very snappy, the GPS worked GREAT. I mean, I just went near a window in my appartment, 3/8 floor, enabled GPS and started the freshly installed Igo. One almost full signal sattelite appeared after 3 seconds, then another 3 and locked in under a minute, with above average signal. Even the sky was very cloudy, I was just hoping for it to barely see 1-2 satellites with low signal in these conditions, but it just amazed me. I hope it will keep up the good work.

Hello.

Thanks for posting a 1st review.

How are the cameras?

Guest andrei80

Sorry for delay, apparently I've not subscribed to thread. The main camera is good and the secondary is decent. Haven't tested them much, but the few pictures I took look at least decent. Video looks ok, but seems mono. No secondary mic probably.

Edited by andrei80

Guest dreis911

Sorry for delay, apparently I've not subscribed to thread. The main camera is good and the secondary is decent. Haven't tested them much, but the few pictures I took look at least decent. Video looks ok, but seems mono. No secondary mic probably.

OK. Thanks.