Pitched as 'the world’s first water-resistant smartwatch with NFC connectivity', the SmartWatch 2 is very much an iteration of it's predecessor, tweaking and fixing where it really matters.
Coming complete with an IP57 rating for dust and water protection, the new watch features a bigger, brighter screen (1.6" @ 220x176), what Sony claims is the longest battery life available for a SmartWatch, easy setup via NFC, standalone watch functionality (a big omission on earlier versions!), a standard microUSB port for charging, an Android style UI, improved materials (aluminium body and stainless steel wristband), improved device compatibility and swappable, 24mm standard wristbands.
It appears as though the device is fully backward compatible with existing apps, with Sony touting a range of several hundred already available, including the ability to...
- Handle your calls by a simple touch of your wrist
- Take a photo remotely from your SmartWatch, using a smart camera app
- Control your presentations remotely using Presentation Pal
- Taking a run or on the bike? Select a mapping app on SmartWatch to check your route with a quick glance at your wrist
- Read previously downloaded e-mails when not connected to your phone
- Use lifestyle apps like Runtastic to map and instantly track your fitness activities on the go
- Quickly and easily adjust the tracks and volume on your music player, without ever taking your phone from your pocket
I strongly suspect i'll be up for one of these! How about you?
Click here to view the item