Photo

Acer Liquid E2 Duo - Dual SIM Quad Core for under £180?

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

ChrisK64

ChrisK64

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Not sure how to open a dedicated section here on Modaco.

I found an English tutorial (oops, scratch that, think it's just a Google Translate from French).
I updated the translation a bit and also modified some parts to comply with forum rules.
Before you start this, consider saving your apps and data to avoid re-installation.
You could use Helium app for this (make sure you UNCHECK "App Data Only" to save both data and the apps themselves).
NOTE: With this method, you have one big advantage, you can unroot afterwards and still keep the expanded memory settings.

EDIT: Check first for any OTA updates and instal them first. Go to About phone/System Update/Check Now

Second, download the files: https://mega.co.nz/#...lmh1sr_XAeR52Gc

How to ROOT & expand the internal memory - FOR ACER E2 Liquid DUO

1. Install drivers:
First, start by installing the drivers that go to our beloved E2 liquid. Please install the drivers from driver1.zip
- In case of problems with the drivers above, try the other package driver2.7z

- Go to your System Settings, About phone, and click Build Number until your phone will again ask you to click four times more on build number to view options for developer. Once activated, go back to Settings and you will see a new option Developer Options, enable Usb Debugging. While there, I recommend enabling Allow Mock Locations too (optional).

- You can now connect your phone to the PC. After a short search, it will tell you that there's been an error.

- Open your device manager in other devices, you will have a yellow exclamation point, with the name MT65XX android device.

- Make right click on it, then make drivers day search for a driver on my computer and specify the folder where you previously extracted USB driver, then next.

Your drivers are now days.

2. Root your Acer E2.

- Open and extract the file Root.zip
- Connect your phone to the PC.
- Connect it as USB STORAGE
- Open the previously unzipped folder, and run the run.bat
- Press any key to continue ... Your phone must be recognized.
- Wait until the process finishes, and even press a key. Congratulations, your phone is Rooted.

3.EXPANDING THE INTERNAL MEMORY:

- Install Rom Toolbox and go to ROOT BROWSER (you might need the paid version)
OR if you don't have Rom Toolbox, just use ES file explorer or Total Commander or any other file explorer with Root access rights and a text editor.
- Find Vold.fstab file and open it (System\etc)
- Choose RT text mode(Text Editor).

- At the top right, edit and change the red numbers:

dev_mount sdcard / storage / sdcard "1" EMMC @ fat / devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 / devices/platform/mtk-msdc.0/mmc_host

dev_mount sdcard2 / storage / sdcard "0" auto / devices / platform / goldfish [color = # FF0000] _mmc.1 / devices/platform/mtk-msdc.1/mmc_host

*Change only the two values between ""

- Restart, and check in Settings, Storage, phone storage must be increased.

GOOD LUCK!

Edited by ChrisK64, 28 July 2013 - 11:49 AM.

mrrog

mrrog

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Devices:Acer Liquid E2, omc, nexus7

here's a link to the problem,

http://code.google.c.../detail?id=1316

it aIso occurs with endomondo, and i have to say track recording is nowhere near as good as with my old skate

looked into this a bit further now and it does seem to be a problem with the way the software does distance on this chip, if you like to record tracks then neither endomondo or google my tracks does it correctly, but runkeeper does. For navigation osmand has a problem but navfree is ok, and bizarrely google maps seems ok for nav as well, go figure

Al_1604

Al_1604

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Devices:Acer Liquid E2 Duo
Just got mine (from Amazon.fr) to replace my JuayuG2 whose glass screen (outer) smashed when dropped on one corner :(
Price now dropped a little (since I ordered) :angry:
Really nice phone - immediately did OTA update and it looks to me like I can install apps on the SD card - Build is Acer_AV061_V370_1.018.00_WW_GEN1

LeWill

LeWill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Devices:Acer Liquid E2

Just got mine (from Amazon.fr) to replace my JuayuG2 whose glass screen (outer) smashed when dropped on one corner :(
Price now dropped a little (since I ordered) :angry:
Really nice phone - immediately did OTA update and it looks to me like I can install apps on the SD card - Build is Acer_AV061_V370_1.018.00_WW_GEN1

I think you are mistaken, I think you are installing to the phones own internal storage (there is around 1.65GB initially). I have the same build and I can assure you, you cannot install directly to any SD card.

Al_1604

Al_1604

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
I am looking at the 'Storage' option in the settings menu right now - At the top it says 'Preferred install location...', 'Default Write Disk' and the choice is 'Phone Storage' or 'SD card', I have 'SD card' selected (though I only selected this after installing most of my usual apps), further down the same page is a section labeled 'SD Card' showing 'Total space 7.48GB' (I have an 8GB card installed). Are you saying it isn't really going to use the SD card to install?
Very misleading if it isn't really installing to the (external) SD card.
Still on day 1 but really liking this phone though.

LeWill

LeWill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

I am looking at the 'Storage' option in the settings menu right now - At the top it says 'Preferred install location...', 'Default Write Disk' and the choice is 'Phone Storage' or 'SD card', I have 'SD card' selected (though I only selected this after installing most of my usual apps), further down the same page is a section labeled 'SD Card' showing 'Total space 7.48GB' (I have an 8GB card installed). Are you saying it isn't really going to use the SD card to install?
Very misleading if it isn't really installing to the (external) SD card.
Still on day 1 but really liking this phone though.

It is misleading. If you use file manager and browse the phone storage you will find the apps there. If you browse the SD card you will find no apps.
I'm almost at the end of the 2nd week of ownership and really like this phone. Accessories are a bit difficult to come across, but I picked up a leather case from Tesco (for S3 but same size) and some screen protectors from Amazon (about £5 for 6).

Al_1604

Al_1604

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Thanks for clarifying about the storage.
I guess when '3' start selling it (single SIM version I assume) then we can expect to see accessories appear.

LeWill

LeWill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
In one of the Android magazines this phone won the group test it was in. What I can't understand is that they thought the screen was the worst of the bunch, even though it had the joint highest resolution and highest ppi!
Hopefully this will encourage more people to get the phone which will result in more and better updates.

Maximus9

Maximus9

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Devices:Moto G Dual Sim XT1033 16GB
About navigation, I am using TomTom as well on this phone, and working just fine.

About the internal memory problem:

There were a few posts on French forums including by one guy who is reading this thread about an imminent update from Acer to be released before the end of the month. I doubted it because nobody can actually know if and when they will release an update, and now the month is almost over. However, I would encourage everybody writing to Acer support (create an Acer ID, register your product and contact them!) and on their Facebook/Twitter pages, they will be forced to take some action soon or at least let us know they are useless and incapable of solving this.

If 10 of us send them emails/twits, I bet we will get some sort of response.

Chris Johnston

Chris Johnston

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Devices:Acer E2, Nexus 7 San Fran
  • Twitter:@Callchris1st
It seems the phone is receiving an update to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, as well as allowing users to move apps to SD. Happening in France now, hopefully here soon.

http://www.pointgpho...lly-bean-41145/

Al_1604

Al_1604

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Maximus9

Maximus9

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
I guess it is good news, although it is not offered OTA for my phone. Anyone found it on theirs?

Al_1604

Al_1604

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Not yet....

Maximus9

Maximus9

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
It should at least be available on Acer support page... I guess patience is the key now...

paugustin

paugustin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Twitter:@acerclubfr
According to a message posted by Acer it should take a couple of weeks for the update to roll out.

Maximus9

Maximus9

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

According to a message posted by Acer it should take a couple of weeks for the update to roll out.

Thank you! Can you post a link to the message? Maybe publishing ways to talk to them would push people report bugs and then push Acer to release new updates.
From my understanding, the Auto screen brightness problem is still not solved and probably others as well.
We really need to push them more... people pressure :)

Al_1604

Al_1604

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Here's a link (with another link...) http://community.ace...-p/109497#M1267

Here too: https://www.facebook...07191210&type=1

Based on your feedback, we are happy to announce the Liquid E2 update for "move-to-SD" feature has been developed, tested, approved, and is ready to hit your Liquid E2 and Liquid E2 Duo as of today. The update will roll out in the next two weeks.

You also have a problem with Auto brightness? - I was wondering if it was just mine (brightness varies a LOT) - not a big issue for me but would be nice if it could be fixed.

Edited by Al_1604, 02 August 2013 - 02:53 PM.

LeWill

LeWill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

You also have a problem with Auto brightness? - I was wondering if it was just mine (brightness varies a LOT) - not a big issue for me but would be nice if it could be fixed.

I have this too! Only noticeable when browsing web sites and nothing that really bothers me. Glad it isn't just me.

Al_1604

Al_1604

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
OTA update received today, 'Andriod is upgrading' right now.

Now running 4.2.2 :)

Edited by Al_1604, 07 August 2013 - 10:22 AM.

Chris Johnston

Chris Johnston

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Devices:Acer E2, Nexus 7 San Fran
  • Twitter:@Callchris1st
Received 4.2.2 as well, the move apps to sd card is now enabled so no more storage problems.

Overall, feels a bit smoother.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users