123 replies to this topic

elsita

elsita

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Devices:vowney v5

Yes correct, never moves: here's an example of what I'm talking about.

Left: working V5 compass, Middle: working G300 compass, Right crapped out V5 compass.

Posted Image

I downloaded an app called "Android Hardware Info", and listed in the "Magnetic Field Sensor" list it says "Vendor Bosch" and lists the specs .. exactly the same as my brothers phone.

thank you so much for the pictures, I thought there was no working v5 compass, the problem is that if the working one has the same software as the others (mine for instance) then it must be a hardware problem and your brother has got the exceptional working one... good for him and terrible for the rest of us

the phones arriving today at Spain have the same problem, so asking for a replacement today would be useless

Edited by elsita, 17 July 2013 - 07:04 PM.

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300, Vowney V5.
  • Twitter:@Rico_89_

thank you so much for the pictures, I thought there was no working v5 compass, the problem is that if the working one has the same software as the others (mine for instance) then it must be a hardware problem and your brother has got the exceptional working one... good for him and terrible for the rest of us

the phones arriving today at Spain have the same problem, so asking for a replacement today would be useless

No problem.. I have to say that because so many are having this issue it might be as you say a hardware fault.. I was reading about possible solutions that have worked for others, where they have pulled the micro sd card and moved a not so powerful magnet closer and closer to their device to unstick the sensor.. but it sounds a bit risky to me.

I wonder if it's possible for Vowney to come up with a fix for this as even the folks in China must be having the same problem.

Edited by Rico_89, 17 July 2013 - 07:27 PM.

bryfly

bryfly

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Devices:Vowney V5
when you google compass not working it seems to be a common problem with phones using the mtk chipset, have not managed to spot a fix though.

elsita

elsita

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

when you google compass not working it seems to be a common problem with phones using the mtk chipset, have not managed to spot a fix though.

the problem belongs to vowney not mediatek, I use a mediatek phone with the same micro and my compass works always perfect

bryfly

bryfly

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

the problem belongs to vowney not mediatek, I use a mediatek phone with the same micro and my compass works always perfect

I didn't mean all mediatek phones , just that when you google bmm050 not working / compass not working, various phones that use mediatek have a similar problem.

george109

george109

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:Burning up my G300, (and my hands!) by overclocking it and leaving cookie clickers open for 12 hours while leaving it on charge!
    Technology in general, biking and canoeing.
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S4 - GT-I9505
Everyone, try mailing them at [email protected] explaining the problem with the compass and maybe they will do something about it, hopefully...

EDIT: If you get a weird address with mailto: at the front as the MoDaCo app is messing around slightly >_>

Edited by george109, 17 July 2013 - 10:39 PM.

:excl:A WARNING TO ALL G300 OWNERS! Please Read! (The Flash Memory Problem!) :excl:

Tutorial: How To (Officially) Unlock Your Bootloader! (The long way, but which definitely works)

Please, Do not use the HuaweiG300.com Tutorial on how to unlock your bootloader, it is better to unlock it officially with my tutorial!

Hello. I am really busy at the moment, so if you PM me, or need help from me, don't expect a reply for a few days weeks months.

Using giffgaff? Well, switch to 3. Its better in every way!

Proof:

Spoiler

My Device:

Huawei Ascend G300 (U8815) - Sold!

Samsung Galaxy S4 (Black) - The LTE Version - GT-I9505

(Ignore the links above (if there is one). It's a skimwords (advertising) link and nothing to do with me!)

The ROMS I have used:

Spoiler

Download Blink, a great app that controls the status LED on the G300!

Wait for 5 seconds and then click skip ad! Do not download anything in the ad window, that is not the app!

Did I help you?

If I did, Please press the rep_up1.png button, in the bottom right hand corner of my posts.

(If not, Press it anyway!)

If I really helped you, you could also donate to me. Thanks!  :) 

bryfly

bryfly

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Everyone, try mailing them at [email protected] explaining the problem with the compass and maybe they will do something about it, hopefully...

Done.............wait and see now

elsita

elsita

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

EDIT: If you get a weird address with mailto: at the front as the MoDaCo app is messing around slightly >_>

good idea

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Will do..

Also anyone got a link to the official V5 forum? Maybe we can make a post there too.

ps, why use the Modaco app. I use full webpages on my V5 and it works perfectly..is the app better?

george109

george109

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:Burning up my G300, (and my hands!) by overclocking it and leaving cookie clickers open for 12 hours while leaving it on charge!
It's http://bbs.v5zn.com/forum.php
Also I use the MoDaCo app as it's a lot better to read with and you can edit your posts and you have a nicer interface, compared to the mobile web version. Also I can quickly see updates on topics that I have replied to on my phone.

Edit: it's not forum.v5zn.com, link changed.

Edited by george109, 18 July 2013 - 07:53 AM.

:excl:A WARNING TO ALL G300 OWNERS! Please Read! (The Flash Memory Problem!) :excl:

Tutorial: How To (Officially) Unlock Your Bootloader! (The long way, but which definitely works)

Please, Do not use the HuaweiG300.com Tutorial on how to unlock your bootloader, it is better to unlock it officially with my tutorial!

Hello. I am really busy at the moment, so if you PM me, or need help from me, don't expect a reply for a few days weeks months.

Proof:

Spoiler

My Device:

(Ignore the links above (if there is one). It's a skimwords (advertising) link and nothing to do with me!)

The ROMS I have used:

Spoiler

Wait for 5 seconds and then click skip ad! Do not download anything in the ad window, that is not the app!

Did I help you?

If I did, Please press the rep_up1.png button, in the bottom right hand corner of my posts.

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

It's http://bbs.v5zn.com/forum.php
Also I use the MoDaCo app as it's a lot better to read with and you can edit your posts and you have a nicer interface, compared to the mobile web version. Also I can quickly see updates on topics that I have replied to on my phone.

Edit: it's not forum.v5zn.com, link changed.

Thanks. I think I might post in the General forum.

Just had to laugh at how this was translated: [Tutorial] no condom was supposed to come and see the oil paint. :D

george109

george109

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Thanks. I think I might post in the General forum.

Just had to laugh at how this was translated: [Tutorial] no condom was supposed to come and see the oil paint. :D

:huh: -> :lol:
How did you get that! :P

Proof:

Spoiler

My Device:

The ROMS I have used:

Spoiler

Did I help you?

e45cream

e45cream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Yes correct, never moves: here's an example of what I'm talking about.

Left: working V5 compass, Middle: working G300 compass, Right crapped out V5 compass.

Posted Image

I downloaded an app called "Android Hardware Info", and listed in the "Magnetic Field Sensor" list it says "Vendor Bosch" and lists the specs .. exactly the same as my brothers phone.

Have you tried making a nandroid backup of the working one and restoring it on the other and vice versa? At least that way we might be able to see if it's software or hardware related.

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Have you tried making a nandroid backup of the working one and restoring it on the other and vice versa? At least that way we might be able to see if it's software or hardware related.

I was going to ask about that; would that mess up my IMEI, meaning would it try to overwrite my IMEI with the one in the CWM backup I'm trying to recover?

Edited by Rico_89, 18 July 2013 - 07:44 PM.

elsita

elsita

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

I was going to ask about that; would that mess up my IMEI, meaning would it try to overwrite my IMEI with the one in the CWM backup I'm trying to recover?

probably, but there is an easy solution, you can backup your imeis with mobileuncletools if you are root and save them in external sd card, so you can restore them back later, it is very easy

e45cream

e45cream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Perhaps a safer approach would be to backup the working one, then install a newer rom on it and check the compass.

bryfly

bryfly

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Have reported this fault to Pandawill and they have asked for a video of the fault, just sent them a link to this thread + a video of the problem.

Rico....just a thought were you running tillaz rom before you upgraded to the latest Vowney ROM?, the wife’s phone was running tillaz rom before upgrade to latest ROM and compass point still moves, albeit not to the correct North.

Do not want to experiment with the V5 I received from Pandawill yesterday in case I have to send it back for a different brand.

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

probably, but there is an easy solution, you can backup your imeis with mobileuncletools if you are root and save them in external sd card, so you can restore them back later, it is very easy

Yeah not sure I want to mess with my IMEI, since I've upgraded I can't get CWM installed properly. I had a hell of a time last night after I moved to a class ten microsd card and lost all radios. Even after a factory reset I couldn't get WiFi, Bluetooth etc working. Thought it was over for sure but long story short I flashed cwm from my pc and then managed to recover a backup I had made and now everything is working... except of course CWM.

Perhaps a safer approach would be to backup the working one, then install a newer rom on it and check the compass.

The only way that would be conclusive would be to flash the baseband and that might stop his from working altogether.

Have reported this fault to Pandawill and they have asked for a video of the fault, just sent them a link to this thread + a video of the problem.

Rico....just a thought were you running tillaz rom before you upgraded to the latest Vowney ROM?, the wife’s phone was running tillaz rom before upgrade to latest ROM and compass point still moves, albeit not to the correct North.

Do not want to experiment with the V5 I received from Pandawill yesterday in case I have to send it back for a different brand.

I did flash the first repack Tillaz made available, on the V5 with the working compass, but it messed up the mic so I recovered a nandroid backup and since then I have left things as stock with the original rom it came with. Not sure if flashing Tillaz's rom had anything to do with kick starting the compass as I never checked it before because I never really use the navigation features on any phone to be honest.

blaster99999

blaster99999

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Tech hacking gaming, motor sport , snooker
  • Devices:g300/ v970/vowney v5
looked at my compass , it moves around but dont think its giving true reading, im still using original merimobiles rooted rom, but installed tillaz cwm

sandriderman

sandriderman

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Devices:Blade,Arc S, Touch Pad All CM7
Just tried my compass on the Vowney and my Sony Xperia Arc using the same app. The Vowney does not move. It goes mad on the Sony (not acurate at all but at least its moving).

Im also still using original merimobiles rooted rom, but have installed tillaz cwm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users