123 replies to this topic

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Devices:Vowney V5 and coolpad F1 8297w
Have done a full wipe of the the V5 where I had tillaz ROM installed and the compass worked, albeit pointing to the wrong north. Then installed the latest V5 ROM and the compass still works the same, beginning to look like there is a batch of V5's where the sensors that run the compass are faulty....... if this is right then not sure what to do, the cost of returning it trying to get it fixed and back again, even selecting a different brand could be a nightmare.....or just put up with phone with no compass......what to do??

Edited by bryfly, 19 July 2013 - 12:27 PM.

elsita

elsita

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Devices:vowney v5
well I think the least we should do is tell to as many people as possible about this problem, so they don't buy a crippled phone, at least wihout knowledge ...

me phone is in its way back to china (pandawill) I will ask for a fully working one in return or I ask for a refund if that is not possible ...

bamp

bamp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Devices:QTEK8310
Hi
Today I 've received this phone bought from minideal.net
My compass also does not work.
I am sending it back.

Also when I check for upgrade it tells me that I have the latest version : ALPS.JB2.MP.V1.3
Is that the latest one ?

SutiAdi

SutiAdi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Devices:Vowney V5

well I think the least we should do is tell to as many people as possible about this problem, so they don't buy a crippled phone, at least wihout knowledge ...

me phone is in its way back to china (pandawill) I will ask for a fully working one in return or I ask for a refund if that is not possible ...

I don't think it is a hardware problem, because it is impossible that all V5's compass are faulty. I hope there will be a proper update that solves the problem.

About the rom update:
You can find all official update on needrom.com, the latest is 26.06. If you go to Settings / About Phone and scroll down to the last item, you will find the version, mine has MX1020_BER_S5009_89_RELEASE-V1.14.2013.06.26-6589-HD.

Edited by SutiAdi, 19 July 2013 - 01:37 PM.

elsita

elsita

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

I don't think it is a hardware problem, because it is impossible that all V5's compass are faulty. I hope there will be a proper update that solves the problem.

About the rom update:
You can find all official update on needrom.com, the latest is 26.06. If you go to Settings / About Phone and scroll down to the last item, you will find the version, mine has MX1020_BER_S5009_89_RELEASE-V1.14.2013.06.26-6589-HD.

all but one, that is the reason I deduce it is hardware related, probably a bad manufacturing process of the mother board

elsita

elsita

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
duplicated post, sorry

Edited by elsita, 19 July 2013 - 04:06 PM.

ounmod

ounmod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Other phones seem to be fixed by degaussing it. Though it seems like a lot of work. http://www.droidforu...ompass-fix.html

There's an app called phone tester that also gives good sensor data. http://youtu.be/j-P1jjPX4PU?t=2m42s

elsita

elsita

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Other phones seem to be fixed by degaussing it. Though it seems like a lot of work. http://www.droidforu...ompass-fix.html

There's an app called phone tester that also gives good sensor data. http://youtu.be/j-P1jjPX4PU?t=2m42s

degaussing works when the compass is stacked in some place, apparently our problem is different, the chip does not comunicate with the phone, hardware apps recognize the chip but keep always with a message "waiting data from the sensor" or something like that, I have not phone right now, it is in it's way back to china

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

just tried "phone tester" and yes you get 1)compass:- waiting for data, 2) magnetic field sensor:- nothing, 3) proximity sensor:- waiting for data.

bamp

bamp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Devices:QTEK8310

just tried "phone tester" and yes you get 1)compass:- waiting for data, 2) magnetic field sensor:- nothing, 3) proximity sensor:- waiting for data.

Same here

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
Well I posted in the vowney tech forum about the compass problem, it was there as I read it, but I think I have been deleted, guess they did not like what I said about the faulty compass.

e45cream

e45cream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

I get results, but my compass isn't working. It usually points SW, but does move about a bit as I turn the phone. Attached File  uploadfromtaptalk1374260455250.jpg   50.43KB   43 downloads

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
looks like you have one of the earlier batch / ROM, the earlier ones work but do not point in the correct direction, your pic is the same as the first V5 I received.

ounmod

ounmod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Don't know if this is any help to anyone that knows what their doing. (Assuming its a software issue <_< )

http://www.interesti...rs<br /><br /> There is also a lot of info about hardware code here http://developer.and...neticField.html

elsita

elsita

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Well I posted in the vowney tech forum about the compass problem, it was there as I read it, but I think I have been deleted, guess they did not like what I said about the faulty compass.

that's for sure, they know the problem but cannot solve it, so they delete problematic posts... bad for vowney, this is a very chineese behaviour ... someday they wil change, I hope

Edited by elsita, 19 July 2013 - 10:14 PM.

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

that's for sure, they know the problem but cannot solve it, so they delete problematic posts... bad for vowney, this is a very chineese behaviour ... someday they wil change, I hope

Don't think they get it in China, this is my response from pandawill this morning, after sending them pics and video of problem and telling them it is widespread across recent deliveries.

Dear

Good day
on your case
can you repair it in your local store ?
if yes , pls have a try and tell us the cost in advance .

regards
Carina

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300, Vowney V5.
  • Twitter:@Rico_89_

Don't think they get it in China, this is my response from pandawill this morning, after sending them pics and video of problem and telling them it is widespread across recent deliveries.

Dear

Good day
on your case
can you repair it in your local store ?
if yes , pls have a try and tell us the cost in advance .

regards
Carina

Actually that's pretty good bry, I mean it's useless in terms of fixing the problem but at least they have acknowledged the issue and seems like they want you to get an estimate and if the cost of repair is low enough then, I assume, they will reimburse you. The cost of shipping it back to them is what they are most likely trying to avoid however maybe if you asked them to swap this phone for another brand like a Newman K1 for example, then they might be more receptive. I prefer OTG to a slightly better camera but the K1 looks like a solid phone.

elsita

elsita

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
pandawill is mean, they are trying to lose the less possible money, they know compass is not working and cannot send you back a working mobile, when I sent them a video of my defective screen

first they said it was ok, then they offered me a discount for a future transaction ... then they said I should pay the return costs, then they said the paid half and gave me a 6% discount ...

they are mean, their warranty says if you receive an item DOA they pay return costs, but their word means little ...

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Actually that's pretty good bry, I mean it's useless in terms of fixing the problem but at least they have acknowledged the issue and seems like they want you to get an estimate and if the cost of repair is low enough then, I assume, they will reimburse you. The cost of shipping it back to them is what they are most likely trying to avoid however maybe if you asked them to swap this phone for another brand like a Newman K1 for example, then they might be more receptive. I prefer OTG to a slightly better camera but the K1 looks like a solid phone.

Yes I agree, pretty good in terms of local repair then reimburse me, more likely not repairable locally anyway……..what I meant was they do not seem to grasp that all the V5 from a particular batch could be faulty and they could have a tidal wave of returns coming their way.

Think I will probably keep the phone as it works well apart from the compass/gps and although it should work, it is not something I would use a lot, if at all. Yes could swap it for another brand and end up with something worse + all the hassle involved.

However for my first foray into Chinese phones I think they are worth the money, but in future I will wait for a suitable period of proof in the market place before I buy my next one.

SutiAdi

SutiAdi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
My opinion is similar to bryfly's. Okay, the compass is not working, but for 170$, I'm absolutely happy with my V5 as long as it works perfectly (except the compass).
Elsita's screen defect is different, it's definitely a warranty issue. If mine had screen problems, I'm sure it would drive me crazy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users