How I revived my DEAD San Diego, and how you may be able to...

Guest glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

After months of my San Diego being dead, and needing a 1080p capable video device to make a YouTube video, with this incentive behind me, I suddenly had a flashback to something I was taught when working in a mobile phone shop, years ago...

See these photos, and you will see two sets of two wires - two red, two black. The middle pin of the San Diego battery connector MUST NOT BE TOUCHED. The two reds near one end, and the two blacks near the other end, are shorted together internally in the phone, but again, DO NOT TOUCH THE MIDDLE PIN!

9356086750_d26acdf46e_b.jpg

9353308529_4033186608_b.jpg

## GUIDE ##

~~~ NOT FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE UNSURE ABOUT ELECTRONICS, AS THIS COULD BE THE END OF YOUR SAN DIEGO, AND KILL IT MORE! ~~~

My friend said the San Diego had TOTALLY died and would not charge, so here's what I did, and it worked to revive the handset!

1/ Remove the back cover from the handset.

2/ Look at the above photos, and unplug the battery connector from the PCB - it lifts straight UPwards, very easily.

3/ Prise the battery out of the battery recess - it can be done with an old credit card - it's only held down with double-sided tape.

4/ Get an old Nokia/Ericsson/whatever brand phone charger which outputs 3.7 volts DC, and strip the wires to the bare copper strands, and then wrap each wire around a cork board pushpin or a dressmaking pin. Next, using a multimeter, check which of the wires is negative, using the DC voltage range.

Ensuring the battery is unplugged and TOTALLY clear from the handset, hold the pin or pushpin which is connected to the NEGATIVE wire of your modified phone charger, and press the point into either one of the two OUTER CONTACTS which are marked as "-" on the photos, and then grab the pushpin or pin which is connected to the POSITIVE pin of your modified charger, and make contact with EITHER of the red wires shown in the photo (marked as "+") for ONE SECOND, and repeat this at 30 second intervals, a further ten times or so.

Finally, plug the battery back into the PCB but DO NOT put the back on the phone just yet. Next, plug the San Diego into a charger AND LEAVE IT FOR HALF AN HOUR. You can push the power button at any point during the charging cycle, but DO NOT disconnect for at least half an hour.

After doing the above, my San Diego SPRANG into life, and now works, so I can now use it as an HD camera and YouTube watching device! :)

Take care.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

How did it break?

I don't know the exact reason - my friend said he put it on charge one night, but forgot to plug the USB end into the wall charger, so it must have drained the battery dry, even lower than the residual voltage which is required to power the standby/charge detection circuity - it was not even recognised via USB, which correlates perfectly with a device with no power, even to power the circuit which controls the USB interface.

I wanted to share this to help others who have this same frustrating situation :)

Guest glossywhite

Thanks for taking your time and posting this! Might be helpful for some! :)! Thanks !

You're welcome. I've had to do this twice now, as it died again yesterday... :/

Guest glossywhite

If you could explain in brief how to open the back cover that would be great, it looks a bit tricky :P

Yes, of course - start around the headphone socket, and use a pry tool or a credit card which you've shaved the corner of with a blade to make it a sharp edge, and carefully work the corner of the card into any obvious wider gaps between the back cover and the body. The back unclips VERY easily indeed... in fact, worryingly so! (easier done than explained):

Start here:

9409859831_d6c849e1f7_c.jpg

Edited by glossywhite

Guest BlueMoonRising

Possible to change higher capacity battery then?

Good luck in finding a higher rated battery the exact same size. In other words no, sorry.

Guest glossywhite

Possible to change higher capacity battery then?

Entirely possible, but you have the task of finding one - I cannot imagine that would be so easy. I would say the hardware/software, or both, are at fault here (likely to be the hardware, since this happens outside a software context, when the phone is off) and maybe the battery is of a poor quality too - who knows? All I can say is that if they can sell such a powerful device SO cheap, it's been made down to a price, and that price is quality assessment, thorough testing and materials.

• 9 months later...
Guest Raihan42

Bumb. My osd battery is almost dead so If I found a new battery (same battery as a normal osd) to replace my old one would this technique work?

Edited by Raihan42

Guest BlueMoonRising

Bumb. My osd battery is almost dead so If I found a new battery (same battery as a normal osd) to replace my old one would this technique work?

If you found a new suitable battery then you wouldn't need this technique would you?

Guest Raihan42

If you found a new suitable battery then you wouldn't need this technique would you?

Any idea where I could get a new suitable battery? Edited by Raihan42

Guest BlueMoonRising

What about a compatible battery required for this tutorial?

You'd have to PM DullWhite, he's always happy to help ;)