Photo

Would you buy the v5 again?

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you buy the v5 again? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you buy the v5 again?

1. Yes (20 votes [62.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. No, I would opt for another chinese phone (11 votes [34.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.38%

3. No, I would opt for a phone that's widely available in the UK (1 votes [3.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

trashbat

trashbat

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
After hearing of the inconvenience caused to members of the forum due to the lack of compass, other such info and hearing good feedback about other Chinese models, it would be interesting to see if you would go for the v5 again or consider something else, Chinese or other.

Edited by trashbat, 26 July 2013 - 02:52 PM.

SG8

SG8

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Devices:Mlais MX59

due to the lack of gps,

I thought GPS worked well, but the compass function was the problem ??

elsita

elsita

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Devices:vowney v5
there is a thread about the compass, read it and then ask if you don't know the answer

my v5 is in china, I am negotiating with pandawill receiving another model paying the difference, probably it will be a thl w200, 30USD more expensive, but turbo micro, and a second battery included

another good option is the new cubot one, 20USD price difference, but 4,7 screen, two batteries included too

I have actually a caesar h7500+, another brand for zopo zp810, 20USD more but you get 2 batteries, screen protector and gel back cover, and it works great, has a very good camera and excellent sound

so this v5 for me is a failure, compass not working is quite bad for me, but there are a lot of chances of receiving a phone with hardware problems, bad screens, buttons malfunctioning, crappy sound, and the quality of the camera is just really bad

SutiAdi

SutiAdi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Devices:Vowney V5

After hearing of the inconvenience caused to members of the forum due to the lack of gps, other such info and hearing good feedback about other Chinese models, it would be interesting to see if you would go for the v5 again or consider something else, Chinese or other.

GPS works well, and I personally use iGO. The only "not working" thing is compass. But I hope it is simply a software problem. That is not a big deal for me.
After 2 weeks of using I would definitely buy it again. This is my first chinaphone and for 170$ it was worth it but I cannot compare it to other phones.

Edited by SutiAdi, 26 July 2013 - 09:27 AM.

relapso

relapso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
I am also very pleased with V5, despite the compass gps works well as the rest.

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Devices:coolpad F1 8297w & redmi note2
Apart from the compass which we all know does not work the rest of the phone is good value for money so would buy again, as a new company hopefully they will get the bugs sorted by the time they launch a replacement

LesMcQueen

LesMcQueen

• MoDaCo Silver
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Is there still a perceived issue with mobile data, where 3G/HSDPA falls back to GPRS and never recovers? I haven't seen it mentioned for a while.

trashbat

trashbat

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

there is a thread about the compass, read it and then ask if you don't know the answer

my v5 is in china, I am negotiating with pandawill receiving another model paying the difference, probably it will be a thl w200, 30USD more expensive, but turbo micro, and a second battery included

another good option is the new cubot one, 20USD price difference, but 4,7 screen, two batteries included too

I have actually a caesar h7500+, another brand for zopo zp810, 20USD more but you get 2 batteries, screen protector and gel back cover, and it works great, has a very good camera and excellent sound

so this v5 for me is a failure, compass not working is quite bad for me, but there are a lot of chances of receiving a phone with hardware problems, bad screens, buttons malfunctioning, crappy sound, and the quality of the camera is just really bad

just edited op to read compass rather than gps, my mistake, i was confused over the issue

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300, Vowney V5.
  • Twitter:@Rico_89_
I am more than happy with the performance of the V5 and apart from the navigational issue I doubt anyone receiving their V5 will be dissapointed especially when you consider it only costs around £115 .

I mean I am replying to this thread on my V5 using full webpages on the Dolphin browser while uploading a screen shot and all this while Im watching "Skyfall" , and the phone is running butter smooth.Attached File  Screenshot_2013-07-27-20-45-35.png   503.48KB   43 downloads

SG8

SG8

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

i am aware of the thread about the compass, and the problems with the compass, but as the OP had stated that 'lack of GPS' was an issue, I thought that there was a major problem with GPS as well as the compass issue.

People appear to be quite happy with the GPS, I don't think the compass problem will cause me too much trouble, so am leaning towards buying one of these phones fairly shortly.

Thanks to everyone for their posts on the subject.

Northstandhero

Northstandhero

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts
Compass isn't really an issue with me, I can't really use Sat Nav when riding my Vespa :unsure:
Phone's amazing, after coming from the G300 I'm completely blown away with it.

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

i am aware of the thread about the compass, and the problems with the compass, but as the OP had stated that 'lack of GPS' was an issue, I thought that there was a major problem with GPS as well as the compass issue.

People appear to be quite happy with the GPS, I don't think the compass problem will cause me too much trouble, so am leaning towards buying one of these phones fairly shortly.

Thanks to everyone for their posts on the subject.

Honestly if using your phone as a navigational tool is a primary feature you require then I would be careful buying a phone from China. Make sure the phone you choose has a fully working compass and GPS working out of the box, someone purchased the Faea F1 which has a completely different chipset to the V5 and they still have issues with the GPS. The only confirmed 100% working navigation on a phone from China so far is the MLais MX58 PRO for £160 from Merimobiles, there are probably more but that's the only one I know of right now. I can bet GPS won't be an issue on the next generation of phones from China but right now you should confirm it's working before you purchase so as to avoid disappointment.

SG8

SG8

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Honestly if using your phone as a navigational tool is a primary feature you require then I would be careful buying a phone from China. Make sure the phone you choose has a fully working compass and GPS working out of the box, someone purchased the Faea F1 which has a completely different chipset to the V5 and they still have issues with the GPS. The only confirmed 100% working navigation on a phone from China so far is the MLais MX58 PRO for £160 from Merimobiles, there are probably more but that's the only one I know of right now. I can bet GPS won't be an issue on the next generation of phones from China but right now you should confirm it's working before you purchase so as to avoid disappointment.

Have spent the last 2 months, thinking about this phone, and now you want me to consider another one as well ??!!! It could be Christmas before I make up my mind at this rate!!

Most people seem to say GPS works well, but the compass is a problem ?

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
All I'm saying is that the weakest point of the V5 is its navigational features, but for me using it as a sat nav etc was low down on my list of things I wanted out of a phone. If there was a phone with everything working 100% but the screen was only 4.5" then that would have been useless to me because I wanted a 5" IPS, OGS screen with a full HD camera. If you prioritise the features you most want, and need, then you won't be disappointed.

SG8

SG8

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

If you prioritise the features you most want, and need, then you won't be disappointed.

I don't need any, I just WANT them all.

It has to be better than anything anyone else has, but around a quarter of the price!! :)

blaster99999

blaster99999

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:Tech hacking gaming, motor sport , snooker
  • Devices:g300/ v970/vowney v5
I've had very little problems with GPS and find co pilot works well , I still think you get a lot of phone for your money , and my mate who as a Samsung s4 as to keep turning is data connection on and off as it keeps losing network connection , so no phone is perfect, there is just too much to phones these days

SG8

SG8

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Is the Verne V5 the same thing (or why does it have 2 names if it is ?).

http://www.merimobil..._p/meri7415.htm

135USD ? Apologies should be 135EUR

Edited by SG8, 29 July 2013 - 09:39 PM.

Dan Mullen

Dan Mullen

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Interests:Football (Sunderland AFC), snooker, tennis and darts. Also, PS3 games, creating dynamic websites and watching films.
  • Devices:Nexus 5, Cube U30GT II
  • Twitter:@danmullen
Yes, the Vowney V5 / Verne V5 are the same handset.

Dan Mullen » http://www.mullen.org.uk
Stunshot - Web Hosting and Development » http://www.stunshot.com
Simply Dial - Cheap International Calls » http://www.simply-dial.co.uk

elsita

elsita

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Devices:vowney v5

I use a Chinese phone that works perfect as a navigation device, don't talk about what you don't know

this phone is cheap, well ten or twenty us dollars cheaper than others with everything working fine and good camera and audio...

it is your call, of course, but if you are looking for price you should look for the tengda t94, pretty much like the vowney but only 109$ price... that is 70 pounds approximately... compass is not working either, but that price really is a good reason to buy it

v5 is not

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Devices:coolpad F1 8297w & redmi note2

I use a Chinese phone that works perfect as a navigation device, don't talk about what you don't know

this phone is cheap, well ten or twenty us dollars cheaper than others with everything working fine and good camera and audio...

it is your call, of course, but if you are looking for price you should look for the tengda t94, pretty much like the vowney but only 109$ price... that is 70 pounds approximately... compass is not working either, but that price really is a good reason to buy it v5 is not

Think you have misunderstood what Rico has said, all he is saying is if you want a chinsese phone for navigation and a working compass then check first, as there are some Chinese models where this does not work correctly....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users