Would you buy the v5 again?

Guest trashbat

Guest trashbat

After hearing of the inconvenience caused to members of the forum due to the lack of compass, other such info and hearing good feedback about other Chinese models, it would be interesting to see if you would go for the v5 again or consider something else, Chinese or other.

Edited by trashbat

Guest elsita

there is a thread about the compass, read it and then ask if you don't know the answer

my v5 is in china, I am negotiating with pandawill receiving another model paying the difference, probably it will be a thl w200, 30USD more expensive, but turbo micro, and a second battery included

another good option is the new cubot one, 20USD price difference, but 4,7 screen, two batteries included too

I have actually a caesar h7500+, another brand for zopo zp810, 20USD more but you get 2 batteries, screen protector and gel back cover, and it works great, has a very good camera and excellent sound

so this v5 for me is a failure, compass not working is quite bad for me, but there are a lot of chances of receiving a phone with hardware problems, bad screens, buttons malfunctioning, crappy sound, and the quality of the camera is just really bad

Guest SutiAdi

After hearing of the inconvenience caused to members of the forum due to the lack of gps, other such info and hearing good feedback about other Chinese models, it would be interesting to see if you would go for the v5 again or consider something else, Chinese or other.

GPS works well, and I personally use iGO. The only "not working" thing is compass. But I hope it is simply a software problem. That is not a big deal for me.

After 2 weeks of using I would definitely buy it again. This is my first chinaphone and for 170$ it was worth it but I cannot compare it to other phones.

Edited by SutiAdi

Guest bryfly

Apart from the compass which we all know does not work the rest of the phone is good value for money so would buy again, as a new company hopefully they will get the bugs sorted by the time they launch a replacement

Guest LesMcQueen

Is there still a perceived issue with mobile data, where 3G/HSDPA falls back to GPRS and never recovers? I haven't seen it mentioned for a while.

Guest trashbat

there is a thread about the compass, read it and then ask if you don't know the answer

my v5 is in china, I am negotiating with pandawill receiving another model paying the difference, probably it will be a thl w200, 30USD more expensive, but turbo micro, and a second battery included

another good option is the new cubot one, 20USD price difference, but 4,7 screen, two batteries included too

I have actually a caesar h7500+, another brand for zopo zp810, 20USD more but you get 2 batteries, screen protector and gel back cover, and it works great, has a very good camera and excellent sound

so this v5 for me is a failure, compass not working is quite bad for me, but there are a lot of chances of receiving a phone with hardware problems, bad screens, buttons malfunctioning, crappy sound, and the quality of the camera is just really bad

just edited op to read compass rather than gps, my mistake, i was confused over the issue

Guest Rico_89

I am more than happy with the performance of the V5 and apart from the navigational issue I doubt anyone receiving their V5 will be dissapointed especially when you consider it only costs around £115 .

I mean I am replying to this thread on my V5 using full webpages on the Dolphin browser while uploading a screen shot and all this while Im watching "Skyfall" , and the phone is running butter smooth.post-983067-0-44768100-1374954376_thumb.

i am aware of the thread about the compass, and the problems with the compass, but as the OP had stated that 'lack of GPS' was an issue, I thought that there was a major problem with GPS as well as the compass issue.

People appear to be quite happy with the GPS, I don't think the compass problem will cause me too much trouble, so am leaning towards buying one of these phones fairly shortly.

Thanks to everyone for their posts on the subject.

Guest Northstandhero

Compass isn't really an issue with me, I can't really use Sat Nav when riding my Vespa :unsure:

Phone's amazing, after coming from the G300 I'm completely blown away with it.

Guest Rico_89

i am aware of the thread about the compass, and the problems with the compass, but as the OP had stated that 'lack of GPS' was an issue, I thought that there was a major problem with GPS as well as the compass issue.

People appear to be quite happy with the GPS, I don't think the compass problem will cause me too much trouble, so am leaning towards buying one of these phones fairly shortly.

Thanks to everyone for their posts on the subject.

Honestly if using your phone as a navigational tool is a primary feature you require then I would be careful buying a phone from China. Make sure the phone you choose has a fully working compass and GPS working out of the box, someone purchased the Faea F1 which has a completely different chipset to the V5 and they still have issues with the GPS. The only confirmed 100% working navigation on a phone from China so far is the MLais MX58 PRO for £160 from Merimobiles, there are probably more but that's the only one I know of right now. I can bet GPS won't be an issue on the next generation of phones from China but right now you should confirm it's working before you purchase so as to avoid disappointment.

Honestly if using your phone as a navigational tool is a primary feature you require then I would be careful buying a phone from China. Make sure the phone you choose has a fully working compass and GPS working out of the box, someone purchased the Faea F1 which has a completely different chipset to the V5 and they still have issues with the GPS. The only confirmed 100% working navigation on a phone from China so far is the MLais MX58 PRO for £160 from Merimobiles, there are probably more but that's the only one I know of right now. I can bet GPS won't be an issue on the next generation of phones from China but right now you should confirm it's working before you purchase so as to avoid disappointment.

Have spent the last 2 months, thinking about this phone, and now you want me to consider another one as well ??!!! It could be Christmas before I make up my mind at this rate!!

Most people seem to say GPS works well, but the compass is a problem ?

Guest Rico_89

All I'm saying is that the weakest point of the V5 is its navigational features, but for me using it as a sat nav etc was low down on my list of things I wanted out of a phone. If there was a phone with everything working 100% but the screen was only 4.5" then that would have been useless to me because I wanted a 5" IPS, OGS screen with a full HD camera. If you prioritise the features you most want, and need, then you won't be disappointed.

If you prioritise the features you most want, and need, then you won't be disappointed.

I don't need any, I just WANT them all.

It has to be better than anything anyone else has, but around a quarter of the price!! :)

Guest blaster99999

I've had very little problems with GPS and find co pilot works well , I still think you get a lot of phone for your money , and my mate who as a Samsung s4 as to keep turning is data connection on and off as it keeps losing network connection , so no phone is perfect, there is just too much to phones these days

Guest elsita

I use a Chinese phone that works perfect as a navigation device, don't talk about what you don't know

this phone is cheap, well ten or twenty us dollars cheaper than others with everything working fine and good camera and audio...

it is your call, of course, but if you are looking for price you should look for the tengda t94, pretty much like the vowney but only 109$ price... that is 70 pounds approximately... compass is not working either, but that price really is a good reason to buy it

v5 is not

Guest bryfly

I use a Chinese phone that works perfect as a navigation device, don't talk about what you don't know

this phone is cheap, well ten or twenty us dollars cheaper than others with everything working fine and good camera and audio...

it is your call, of course, but if you are looking for price you should look for the tengda t94, pretty much like the vowney but only 109$ price... that is 70 pounds approximately... compass is not working either, but that price really is a good reason to buy it v5 is not

Think you have misunderstood what Rico has said, all he is saying is if you want a chinsese phone for navigation and a working compass then check first, as there are some Chinese models where this does not work correctly....

Guest elsita

Think you have misunderstood what Rico has said, all he is saying is if you want a chinsese phone for navigation and a working compass then check first, as there are some Chinese models where this does not work correctly....

I think I have understood well the red phrase, I know that afterwards he adds AFAIK ... but people that read that message, probably gets the message that all chinese mobile phones but one are useless as navigators, and that is not true at all, besides ricoh is an experienced contributor to this forum, and I appreciate his opinions quite a lot, that is the reason that his statements should be more careful

most of the new mediatek 6589 mobile phones are good navigators, but there are several models with a problem with the compass, and another bunch also that have problems with the circuitry that end up with weak gps signal detection, but they are a minority, and usually not from the most selled brands

cheap phones like this vowney have an awful quality control process, but if you pay just 20 or 30 more USD, normally getting some extras too like a second battery, rest asured that 99% of their units are working fine

Edited by elsita

Guest bryfly

I think I have understood well the red phrase, I know that afterwards he adds AFAIK ... but people that read that message, probably gets the message that all chinese mobile phones but one are useless as navigators, and that is not true at all, besides ricoh is an experienced contributor to this forum, and I appreciate his opinions quite a lot, that is the reason that his statements should be more careful

most of the new mediatek 6589 mobile phones are good navigators, but there are several models with a problem with the compass, and another bunch also that have problems with the circuitry that end up with weak gps signal detection, but they are a minority, and usually not from the most selled brands

cheap phones like this vowney have an awful quality control process, but if you pay just 20 or 30 more USD, normally getting some extras too like a second battery, rest asured that 99% of their units are working fine

ok ....believe what you want, I understand perfectly that all he means is check before you buy and is just trying to assist potential buyers of Chinese mobiles, I think you are just anti anything Vowney after your experience of buying one

Edited by bryfly

Guest Rico_89

ok ....believe what you want, I understand perfectly that he all he means is check before you buy and is just trying to assist potential buyers of Chinese mobiles, I think you are just anti anything Vowney after your experience of buying one

Thank you for explaining bryfly.. Of course you can buy many phones from China 100% working but wait until you know for a fact that the features you require are working before you buy, or you might end up on a forum reading into posts what ever you want too.

I don't need any, I just WANT them all.

LOL so do I. And you are right it's a quarter of the price and a great phone for the money.

I've had very little problems with GPS and find co pilot works well , I still think you get a lot of phone for your money , and my mate who as a Samsung s4 as to keep turning is data connection on and off as it keeps losing network connection , so no phone is perfect, there is just too much to phones these days

Yeah there's a lot going on inside these phones for sure.. My friend has a Galaxy S3 on Tmobile and it has to be the slowest connection I have ever seen... my other friend has an Xperia Z and I'm not kidding when I say you can't see anything on the screen if it's bright outside... nothing at all.

Edited by Rico_89

Guest elsita

I use a Chinese phone after being using brand ones, I know expensive phones have problems too, I've been struggling with them for years, with my Chinese phone and tablet I am quite happy, three of my friends are now using Chinese phones too, there are excellent chines phones, I agree with that, but this vowney is not an excellent phone, in Spain about half the units received are faulty they have hardware issues, not only a bad screen like mine, but inaudible sound, buttons not working, mobile asking for pin number every 15 minutes, black out of the screen, random and frequent resets, Wi-Fi not working, and so on .... I have never seen any phone with so many different hardware failures, a lot of then have traveled back to China, building quality of this mobile is dreadful, that is my experience and my forum mates' in htcmania Spanish forum

I think that paying 20 dollars less than other similar mobiles do not justify buying this vowney, not only for the failure rate, but also because of its useless compass , crappy sound and really bad camera quality

And if you are looking for a cheap mobile, go for a dapeng or tengda t94, you can buy it for 70-80 pounds, with the same specifications as this one, so I see really not one reason, except otg to recommend this mobile to anybody at all

Guest aliaird

I have the Vowney V5 and have spent a load of time trying to get the GPS working satisfactorily. If you get all the A-GPS stuff sorted, it connects well, to 8 or 9 satellites and works fine as a satnav at normal speeds, whether using Copilot, Sygic or Google Navigation. The trouble starts when you are trying to wind your way through roads in a town and your 'location' wanders and your phone starts thinking you are on a parallel road and reroutes you. It's bad enough for me to really struggle with it, and I'm expecting it to go wrong so am watching it closer than I should. I'm going to pass the V5 off to my daughter, and get another, but need one that the GPS works well. Compass is not an issue for me.

Rico_89, where did you read about the MLais working well? Any other sources you have found discussing GPS and Chinese phones?