Would you buy the v5 again?

Guest trashbat

Guest elsita

I have the Vowney V5 and have spent a load of time trying to get the GPS working satisfactorily. If you get all the A-GPS stuff sorted, it connects well, to 8 or 9 satellites and works fine as a satnav at normal speeds, whether using Copilot, Sygic or Google Navigation. The trouble starts when you are trying to wind your way through roads in a town and your 'location' wanders and your phone starts thinking you are on a parallel road and reroutes you. It's bad enough for me to really struggle with it, and I'm expecting it to go wrong so am watching it closer than I should. I'm going to pass the V5 off to my daughter, and get another, but need one that the GPS works well. Compass is not an issue for me.

Rico_89, where did you read about the MLais working well? Any other sources you have found discussing GPS and Chinese phones?

the problems you are having navigating are caused by the non functioning compass, they are not gps, but compass related, when you slow down navigators rely on compass changes, but this mobile cannot do it

i have been using for several months a caesar h7500+, it is a zopo zp810 with different brand, I can assure you that navigation with this mobile is excellent too, and you can buy por 190 USD with a second battery and protector screen included

Thl models also navigate well, and you have several models to choose, you have a 5 inches hd ips screen with turbo processor, 8GB sd intern and two batteries for 199 USD with discounts of 15 USD in several popular chinese online stores

Guest deadonthestairs

I use a Chinese phone that works perfect as a navigation device, don't talk about what you don't know

this phone is cheap, well ten or twenty us dollars cheaper than others with everything working fine and good camera and audio...

it is your call, of course, but if you are looking for price you should look for the tengda t94, pretty much like the vowney but only 109$ price... that is 70 pounds approximately... compass is not working either, but that price really is a good reason to buy it

v5 is not

Are you familiar with the Tengda T94 at all? Struggling to find any reviews or online support for it at all.

Guest elsita

Are you familiar with the Tengda T94 at all? Struggling to find any reviews or online support for it at all.

I am not, but there are a couple of forum mates that are using it, posting impressions and answering questions, that's how I know compass is not working either

http://www.movilesdu...80X720-DUAL-SIM

and they have posted some of the info in the thread as a review here:

http://taliandroid.c...del-tengda-t94/

both places are in spanish, use google translator if you don't read spanish, you can ask me too

the review talks about a weak gps signal, as there only two devices reporting data, we don't know if it is a characteristic of the model or it is a problem with their units, I don't expect much quality with that price anyway, but it seems the hardware problems we are having in spain with the v5 are much more serious and frequent

you can buy 10 pieces for 82USD each ...

http://www.pandawill.com/tengda-t94-smartphone-android-42-mtk6589-quad-core-1g-4g-50-inch-hd-screen-80mp-camera-white-p75792.html

Edited by elsita

Guest deadonthestairs

I am not, but there are a couple of forum mates that are using it, posting impressions and answering questions, that's how I know compass is not working either

http://www.movilesdu...80X720-DUAL-SIM

and they have posted some of the info in the thread as a review here:

http://taliandroid.c...del-tengda-t94/

both places are in spanish, use google translator if you don't read spanish, you can ask me too

the review talks about a weak gps signal, as there only two devices reporting data, we don't know if it is a characteristic of the model or it is a problem with their units, I don't expect much quality with that price anyway, but it seems the hardware problems we are having in spain with the v5 are much more serious and frequent

you can buy 10 pieces for 82USD each ...

http://www.pandawill...ite-p75792.html

Thanks! Almost went for one yesterday on eBay that was around £70 but today it's no longer available and they're now all £120+!

Would you be able to recommend me the best Chinese phone for around the £100 mark that will work on 3G in the UK? Compass/GPS issues aren't a huge problem for me. Would like a 4.5"+ screen, decent camera, and reliability more than anything.

Guest elsita

Thanks! Almost went for one yesterday on eBay that was around £70 but today it's no longer available and they're now all £120+!

Would you be able to recommend me the best Chinese phone for around the £100 mark that will work on 3G in the UK? Compass/GPS issues aren't a huge problem for me. Would like a 4.5"+ screen, decent camera, and reliability more than anything.

sorry, I don't look for the cheapest phone, just for a good working phone, thl and zopo clones (caesar and hero) are good cheap phones, but maybe the price is a little higher, I think there is a thl w100 model with 4.5 screen, qhd resolution that costs 140-150 USD, it works quite well from the reviews I have read, there is also a 4.5 lenovo model , the A820 in the same price range, a good machine also with similar price specs, a work mate has this lenovo

Edited by elsita

http://www.modaco.co...20#entry2143589

Read the next page too where he answers everyone's questions. :)

Decided to go with the Mlais MX58 Air (not the pro), has shipped from Merimobiles apparently so hope to receive it early-mid next week. The GPS would be an important function for me, so hopefully everything will work as expected!

Guest Rico_89

http://www.aliexpres...1116686802.html

Several buyers, reasonable price.

Just bought Lenovo A820 € 36,91 plus free dhl shipping from Aliexpress.

http://www.aliexpres...1153437453.html :)

Something is not right here.. are you selling them on Aliexpress? I don't know but I would stay away from this.

Decided to go with the Mlais MX58 Air (not the pro), has shipped from Merimobiles apparently so hope to receive it early-mid next week. The GPS would be an important function for me, so hopefully everything will work as expected!

Good choice, keep us inform, I'd like to know if everything is working too.. Right now I'm looking forward to the octa cores that should be out early next year, hopefully.. They score over 30K which is faster than an S4. :)

Guest bryfly

View PostCaTa Simion, on 31 July 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

Just bought Lenovo A820 € 36,91 plus free dhl shipping from Aliexpress.

http://www.aliexpres...1153437453.html :)

Something is not right here.. are you selling them on Aliexpress? I don't know but I would stay away from this.

Agree with Rico be a bit careful, went to http://www.aliexpress.com/store/532941'>http://www.aliexpress.com/store/532941 which is the shop, was tempted by the price of the THL w8 then went and reloaded into http://www.aliexpress.com and searched for the phone and they did not show up as a supplier. did the same on the Lenovo phone with the same result, maybe it is not showing up because he is new supplier.....

Guest elsita

I don't trust this seller either, after viewing lack of feedback a friend of mine bought this morning one a820 from antelife, 150$ but trusted seller

Guest bryfly

Don't Ali Express give you a full refund if you don't receive your goods or they aren't as described?

Think the problem might be that it looks like a fake site

Guest Dan Mullen

Think the problem might be that it looks like a fake site

It's definitely a genuine site - go to aliSPAM.com, then click through to aliexpress.com using the links at the bottom. Search for the Lenovo A820 and the ad comes up.

Guest bryfly

It's definitely a genuine site - go to aliSPAM.com, then click through to aliexpress.com using the links at the bottom. Search for the Lenovo A820 and the ad comes up.

This is the store he said he bought it from "Aizhang Chen's store Store No.532941" on my pc his link to the a820 is now dead and on aliexpress.com cannot find this store............

Guest Dan Mullen

This is the store he said he bought it from "Aizhang Chen's store Store No.532941" on my pc his link to the a820 is now dead and on aliexpress.com cannot find this store............

Ah sorry, did you mean the much cheaper one? I only looked at the first one that was posted - the one for $89.

Guest aliaird

So my Mlais MX58T Pro arrived today from Merimobiles. I ordered on 1 August and paid for DHL Express delivery. I had to pick it up this morning and pay £18 VAT / Customs or whatever, so a bit annoying but its the first time so overall not too bad. So order to phone in a week. Not bad.

The phone came with a silicon protector and screen protector, plus a spare screen. I'd ordered it rooted and with a spare screen, but seem to have got a case and another installed screen protector as well :)

First impressions are that the phone is well built, smart (I like the little red trim!) and the screen is lovely. :wub:

The GPS works perfectly, which is the primary reason for choosing the Mlais so very happy about that. :D

My only concern is that when I had restored all the apps from my Vowney (using Go Backup, beginning to like this over Titanium btw) I thought I'd run Antutu.... My V5 showed 12k, but the Mlais only showed 9.7k, then 10k. Not happy with that at all and not quite sure why.... I was expecting nearer 15.

Apex Launcher doesn't feel as buttery smooth as I was expecting and I get the occasional slight lag. I wonder whether it might have been the mass loading of 100 apps etc that has done something so I might do a factory wipe, load Antutu and run it to see what I get. Then maybe try a different ROM.

The chip is as expected, so I think it might be something minor, but at the moment it's a bit disappointing.

Will update as I start to play with it. Any good Mlais forums out there btw?! I would liketo get CWM on there before I start flashing new ROMS but not found one yet. I tried using Mobiuncle and flashing the one that works on the V5 but it didn't seem to work. I might try it again just to double check. Needrom looks like it has a TWRP Recovery I can install so that will do, but I'd like CWM if possible, I just know it better.

Guest aliaird

Re compass, it seems to be broadly accurate, perhaps a few degrees off my Silva, Every now and then it is totally wrong (magnetic interference?)

Not really sure where you would want to use a phone compass, but I wouldn't rely on it in the field over a proper compass.

The MIUI rom I tried (and failed!) to load last night has a note on it saying "compass not working" in the ROM so by inference they assume it is working on other ROMs.

The GPS works perfectly, which is the primary reason for choosing the Mlais so very happy about that. :D

I ordered and received the Mlais MX58 Air, ( could not afford the pro!! :) ) , but the GPS is a bit off, when I sit in the drive using google maps/navigation the blue arrow/dot drift all over the place (through the neigbours, into my back garden, and across the road). Have installed Sygic for Satnav purposes and it seems to work quite well.

Bought the Mlais instead of the Vowney in the hope that the GPS would work perfectly, am delighted with the phone, and as Sygic appears to do the SatNav function am not too bothered by using that instead of Google Maps for navigation.

QUICK UPDATE. Had sent Merimobiles an email highlighting the problem with the GPS and they sent me this link http://www.gizchina.com/2013/07/23/how-to-fix-poor-gps-on-mediatek-phones/

which appears to have made it a lot better. Not 100% still but picks up more satellites and gets a position quicker.

Edited by SG8

Re compass, it seems to be broadly accurate, perhaps a few degrees off my Silva, Every now and then it is totally wrong (magnetic interference?)

Not really sure where you would want to use a phone compass, but I wouldn't rely on it in the field over a proper compass.

The MIUI rom I tried (and failed!) to load last night has a note on it saying "compass not working" in the ROM so by inference they assume it is working on other ROMs.

If you use the GPS for Google maps does the blue arrow/dot drift when left on a flat surface outside ?

Guest LesMcQueen

So my Mlais MX58T Pro arrived today from Merimobiles...........

I packaged my faulty V5 up and sent it back to Merimobiles today.

I'm looking at either the Mlais MX58 air, MX58 pro, or the ZTE V987 as a replacement.

I was going to opt for the V987, but now I'm not so sure after hearing that you are happy with your MX58.

Has anyone got an opinion as to which one would be best, or even an alternative to those 3?

Cheers :-)

Guest Rico_89

My only concern is that when I had restored all the apps from my Vowney (using Go Backup, beginning to like this over Titanium btw) I thought I'd run Antutu.... My V5 showed 12k, but the Mlais only showed 9.7k, then 10k. Not happy with that at all and not quite sure why.... I was expecting nearer 15.

Apex Launcher doesn't feel as buttery smooth as I was expecting and I get the occasional slight lag. I wonder whether it might have been the mass loading of 100 apps etc that has done something so I might do a factory wipe, load Antutu and run it to see what I get. Then maybe try a different ROM.

The chip is as expected, so I think it might be something minor, but at the moment it's a bit disappointing.

This doesn't sound right, maybe it was recovering the apps. Whenever I move phones I always just install my apps from the play store one by one as I need them ... and to be honest I have never really had great success backing up my apps and then recovering them as some apps never work quite right.

Guest aliaird

I've been playing with MX58 Pro a little more, and I'm still not happy about the processor. Whilst I've (once) seen 14k on Antutu, have a look at the one I did earlier today!

2013-08-10%2018.02.02.png

And today's battery...

2013-08-10%2018.03.14.png

Not what I expected from a 2500 mAh battery. And it's not as if I have thrashed it..

2013-08-10%2020.25.15.png

Not quite sure what to do....

(not sure if the photos are uploading properly, right click and open in new tab seems to work for me. - 8745 Antutu and 100% to 9& in 8 hours 8 minutes...

Edited by aliaird