Photo

Would you buy the v5 again?

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you buy the v5 again? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you buy the v5 again?

1. Yes (20 votes [62.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. No, I would opt for another chinese phone (11 votes [34.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.38%

3. No, I would opt for a phone that's widely available in the UK (1 votes [3.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Devices:coolpad F1 8297w & redmi note2

It's definitely a genuine site - go to aliSPAM.com, then click through to aliexpress.com using the links at the bottom. Search for the Lenovo A820 and the ad comes up.

This is the store he said he bought it from "Aizhang Chen's store Store No.532941" on my pc his link to the a820 is now dead and on aliexpress.com cannot find this store............

Dan Mullen

Dan Mullen

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Interests:Football (Sunderland AFC), snooker, tennis and darts. Also, PS3 games, creating dynamic websites and watching films.
  • Devices:Nexus 5, Cube U30GT II
  • Twitter:@danmullen

This is the store he said he bought it from "Aizhang Chen's store Store No.532941" on my pc his link to the a820 is now dead and on aliexpress.com cannot find this store............

Ah sorry, did you mean the much cheaper one? I only looked at the first one that was posted - the one for $89.

Dan Mullen » http://www.mullen.org.uk
Stunshot - Web Hosting and Development » http://www.stunshot.com
Simply Dial - Cheap International Calls » http://www.simply-dial.co.uk

aliaird

aliaird

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
So my Mlais MX58T Pro arrived today from Merimobiles. I ordered on 1 August and paid for DHL Express delivery. I had to pick it up this morning and pay £18 VAT / Customs or whatever, so a bit annoying but its the first time so overall not too bad. So order to phone in a week. Not bad.

The phone came with a silicon protector and screen protector, plus a spare screen. I'd ordered it rooted and with a spare screen, but seem to have got a case and another installed screen protector as well :)

First impressions are that the phone is well built, smart (I like the little red trim!) and the screen is lovely. :wub:

The GPS works perfectly, which is the primary reason for choosing the Mlais so very happy about that. :D

My only concern is that when I had restored all the apps from my Vowney (using Go Backup, beginning to like this over Titanium btw) I thought I'd run Antutu.... My V5 showed 12k, but the Mlais only showed 9.7k, then 10k. Not happy with that at all and not quite sure why.... I was expecting nearer 15.

Apex Launcher doesn't feel as buttery smooth as I was expecting and I get the occasional slight lag. I wonder whether it might have been the mass loading of 100 apps etc that has done something so I might do a factory wipe, load Antutu and run it to see what I get. Then maybe try a different ROM.

The chip is as expected, so I think it might be something minor, but at the moment it's a bit disappointing.

Will update as I start to play with it. Any good Mlais forums out there btw?! I would liketo get CWM on there before I start flashing new ROMS but not found one yet. I tried using Mobiuncle and flashing the one that works on the V5 but it didn't seem to work. I might try it again just to double check. Needrom looks like it has a TWRP Recovery I can install so that will do, but I'd like CWM if possible, I just know it better.

moorish

moorish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Devices:Vowney V5, G300
How accurate is the compass?

aliaird

aliaird

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
Re compass, it seems to be broadly accurate, perhaps a few degrees off my Silva, Every now and then it is totally wrong (magnetic interference?)
Not really sure where you would want to use a phone compass, but I wouldn't rely on it in the field over a proper compass.

The MIUI rom I tried (and failed!) to load last night has a note on it saying "compass not working" in the ROM so by inference they assume it is working on other ROMs.

SG8

SG8

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Devices:Mlais MX59

The GPS works perfectly, which is the primary reason for choosing the Mlais so very happy about that. :D

I ordered and received the Mlais MX58 Air, ( could not afford the pro!! :) ) , but the GPS is a bit off, when I sit in the drive using google maps/navigation the blue arrow/dot drift all over the place (through the neigbours, into my back garden, and across the road). Have installed Sygic for Satnav purposes and it seems to work quite well.

Bought the Mlais instead of the Vowney in the hope that the GPS would work perfectly, am delighted with the phone, and as Sygic appears to do the SatNav function am not too bothered by using that instead of Google Maps for navigation.

QUICK UPDATE. Had sent Merimobiles an email highlighting the problem with the GPS and they sent me this link http://www.gizchina....ediatek-phones/
which appears to have made it a lot better. Not 100% still but picks up more satellites and gets a position quicker.

Edited by SG8, 09 August 2013 - 05:25 PM.

SG8

SG8

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Re compass, it seems to be broadly accurate, perhaps a few degrees off my Silva, Every now and then it is totally wrong (magnetic interference?)
Not really sure where you would want to use a phone compass, but I wouldn't rely on it in the field over a proper compass.

The MIUI rom I tried (and failed!) to load last night has a note on it saying "compass not working" in the ROM so by inference they assume it is working on other ROMs.

If you use the GPS for Google maps does the blue arrow/dot drift when left on a flat surface outside ?

LesMcQueen

LesMcQueen

• MoDaCo Silver
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

So my Mlais MX58T Pro arrived today from Merimobiles...........

I packaged my faulty V5 up and sent it back to Merimobiles today.
I'm looking at either the Mlais MX58 air, MX58 pro, or the ZTE V987 as a replacement.

I was going to opt for the V987, but now I'm not so sure after hearing that you are happy with your MX58.

Has anyone got an opinion as to which one would be best, or even an alternative to those 3?

Cheers :-)

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300, Vowney V5.
  • Twitter:@Rico_89_

My only concern is that when I had restored all the apps from my Vowney (using Go Backup, beginning to like this over Titanium btw) I thought I'd run Antutu.... My V5 showed 12k, but the Mlais only showed 9.7k, then 10k. Not happy with that at all and not quite sure why.... I was expecting nearer 15.

Apex Launcher doesn't feel as buttery smooth as I was expecting and I get the occasional slight lag. I wonder whether it might have been the mass loading of 100 apps etc that has done something so I might do a factory wipe, load Antutu and run it to see what I get. Then maybe try a different ROM.

The chip is as expected, so I think it might be something minor, but at the moment it's a bit disappointing.

This doesn't sound right, maybe it was recovering the apps. Whenever I move phones I always just install my apps from the play store one by one as I need them ... and to be honest I have never really had great success backing up my apps and then recovering them as some apps never work quite right.

aliaird

aliaird

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
I've been playing with MX58 Pro a little more, and I'm still not happy about the processor. Whilst I've (once) seen 14k on Antutu, have a look at the one I did earlier today!

Posted Image

And today's battery...
Posted Image

Not what I expected from a 2500 mAh battery. And it's not as if I have thrashed it..
Posted Image

Not quite sure what to do....

(not sure if the photos are uploading properly, right click and open in new tab seems to work for me. - 8745 Antutu and 100% to 9& in 8 hours 8 minutes...

Edited by aliaird, 10 August 2013 - 07:55 PM.

SG8

SG8

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

If you use the GPS for Google maps does the blue arrow/dot drift when left on a flat surface outside ?

Come on answer the question!!! :) :) Don't be worrying about all that Antutu stuff and uploading pictures!!

Just ran Antutu on my MLAIS MX58 Air and it reads 12660. I know nothing about Antutu and benchmarking etc. so don't ask me !! :P

Edited by SG8, 10 August 2013 - 09:16 PM.

aliaird

aliaird

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Come on answer the question!!! :) :) Don't be worrying about all that Antutu stuff and uploading pictures!!

Just ran Antutu on my MLAIS MX58 Air and it reads 12660. I know nothing about Antutu and benchmarking etc. so don't ask me !! :P

No. My blue dot is solid and exactly where I am. When you first turn it on and it is using Wifi and A-GPS to get a rough position until it gets a good GPS signal, it's a little variable, and has a bit blue circle or doubt, but once it has a good lock, it's very stable. I'm really happy with the GPS side of this phone. Are you getting something different on your Air?

Just took it on a 5 minute dog walk and it had me precisely where I was, to about a couple of metres I would say

rob4x4

rob4x4

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4,Tesco Hudl

I ordered and received the Mlais MX58 Air, ( could not afford the pro!! :) ) , but the GPS is a bit off, when I sit in the drive using google maps/navigation the blue arrow/dot drift all over the place (through the neigbours, into my back garden, and across the road). Have installed Sygic for Satnav purposes and it seems to work quite well.

Bought the Mlais instead of the Vowney in the hope that the GPS would work perfectly, am delighted with the phone, and as Sygic appears to do the SatNav function am not too bothered by using that instead of Google Maps for navigation.

QUICK UPDATE. Had sent Merimobiles an email highlighting the problem with the GPS and they sent me this link http://www.gizchina....ediatek-phones/
which appears to have made it a lot better. Not 100% still but picks up more satellites and gets a position quicker.

Did the GPS update that Merimobiles pointed you too stop the blue arrow wondering around in Google Maps? Also how are you finding the battery life on the Mlais Air? Thinking about ordering one for the great camera spec, but I also want good GPS. Thats the reason I've been put off the V5.

aliaird

aliaird

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
So I had a big session, just me and the MX58 having a few home truths over the weekend and he's decided to improve his behaviour. I tried a load of ROMs from needrom and really loved the Samsung port, really smooth and quick, but the GPS wasn't working at all, so that had to go.
In the end i went back to my original ROM and built it up again from scratch, and things seem to be better . I wonder whether when I used Go Backup to restore the apps I had on my V5 whether some system settings were getting copied across and causing problems. I don't know, but I'm no longer seeing 8000 on Antutu, more like 12, and the occasional 14.
I think I will just relax and enjoy the phone now for a bit... (unless a new ROM comes along of course!)

rob4x4

rob4x4

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

So I had a big session, just me and the MX58 having a few home truths over the weekend and he's decided to improve his behaviour. I tried a load of ROMs from needrom and really loved the Samsung port, really smooth and quick, but the GPS wasn't working at all, so that had to go.
In the end i went back to my original ROM and built it up again from scratch, and things seem to be better . I wonder whether when I used Go Backup to restore the apps I had on my V5 whether some system settings were getting copied across and causing problems. I don't know, but I'm no longer seeing 8000 on Antutu, more like 12, and the occasional 14.
I think I will just relax and enjoy the phone now for a bit... (unless a new ROM comes along of course!)

How are you finding the battery on the MX58 Pro? I was reading the translated MX58 forum on HTCMania and some people were complaining of very short battery life and excessive heat coming from the phone. I think the general opinion was the Mlais had lied about the battery capacity.

Edited by rob4x4, 12 August 2013 - 08:13 PM.

aliaird

aliaird

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
Battery is not good. No way is it 2500mAh. It's a day's battery at best. It ran out on me today at 5pm and I don't think I was using it hard. The V5 is MUCH better batterywise. And value wise imho at the moment.
Will keep plugging away.

rob4x4

rob4x4

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Battery is not good. No way is it 2500mAh. It's a day's battery at best. It ran out on me today at 5pm and I don't think I was using it hard. The V5 is MUCH better batterywise. And value wise imho at the moment.
Will keep plugging away.

Cheers aliaird! I think the Mlais MX58 is off my list now.

moorish

moorish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Devices:Vowney V5, G300

Cheers aliaird! I think the Mlais MX58 is off my list now.

Do you think it's the FHD screen using up the battery? Would be useful to compare it to the Air.

There is a new updated version being released with supposed 2800 mAh battery

http://www.gizmochin...d-core-chipset/

I can't decide whether to wait for MX59, or get MX58 Pro or MX58 Air.

rob4x4

rob4x4

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Do you think it's the FHD screen using up the battery? Would be useful to compare it to the Air.

There is a new updated version being released with supposed 2800 mAh battery

http://www.gizmochin...d-core-chipset/

I can't decide whether to wait for MX59, or get MX58 Pro or MX58 Air.

Well it seems the Air has GPS issues in google maps, and the Pro has battery issues. I think the Air may have battery issues too. I was reading a translated Spanish forum (HTC Mania) about a lot of problems owners had. I think the battery may be poor on the Air too. Some build quality has also been an issue with failing buttons. But then maybe its no worse than the Vowney V5?

Have a dig around here : http://www.htcmania....play.php?f=1125
and here: http://www.htcmania....ad.php?t=654643

You will have to you a translate.

allanmac

allanmac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Devices:Vowney V5
Some V5 comments:

1. Like others, I've found the V5 battery life to be exceptional. It's a huge battery that can go all day. The phone is definitely heavy because of this but that's OK.

2. I looked at mobiles with FHD displays but didn't think it was worth it since at 5" you're already at 294 dpi if you have a 1280x720 LCD. I've read that FHD displays are gorgeous and your eye can perceive that *something* is different but at ~300 dpi it's near impossible to see individual pixels ... so 440 dpi is probably not gaining you much. ( I'm sure someone who has an FHD phone can describe what's perceptually different -- probably extremely small text *is* easier to read. )

3. The V5 GPS seems fine to me. The EPO settings can be enabled without even going into MobileUncle. I usually leave GPS off and just go with Wi-Fi+cell positioning if I'm in an urban area.

4. I've used the 3G for a week and am pretty happy with it. I'm only going to be able to use 850 MHz HSPA+ here in the USA but I can see that it's connected to "21 Mbps (rel. 7) HSPA+" on AT&T (which translates to almost 5 Mbps downloads).

5. Calls are clear over the mic and bluetooth.

Edited by allanmac, 14 August 2013 - 09:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users