Cyanogenmod 10.2 - give it a go!

Guest The Soup Thief

Guest The Soup Thief

Having been enjoying stock Jellybean (4.3) for the past few weeks I read about the CM 10.2 nightlies kicking up last week.

Took the plunge on Saturday and installed it (I think from get.cm).

(I'd tried a few days before but there was a problem with the previous gapps package and after installing it wouldn't talk to Google Play very well - reverted to previous Nandroid)

Anyway, I installed it, set it up to my liking and installed Cyandelta, which I used to use on a previous device. It's fab - you tell it whether you like nightlies or only Release Candidates or whatever and whenever anything becomes available it downloads the changes to your phone - not the whole ROM, just the changes! It's great!

Every couple of days I'll wake with a new bit of ROM downloaded to flash (it can back up automatically too so you can always revert). Cyanogenmod Downloader is pretty handy too, going a little further in automating the process, but I like that Cyandelta only needs to download changes - not the whole ROM

Takes the waiting out of wanting :)

So, long story short, I'm stunned by how stable and fab the 10.2 nightlies are. Apparently Paranoid Android is pretty steady too at the mo, but since Cyanogenmod began using Pie & expanded desktop, I've no particular need of PA and slightly prefer CM (hard to say why - just feels a bit less fussy).

CM10.2 FTW B)

Guest The Soup Thief

Come on in! The water's fine!

FWIW my phone updated to the latest nightly this afternoon - rather than downloading the full 300mb of rom data, it only needed to download the 30mb that had changed! Hey presto, latest nightly! V cool I reckon.

Btw, I said something slightly misleading last post - cyan delta doesn't back up your phone automatically. Rather, after it adds and boots the new update, it allows you to revert to the old version. Much more elegant (assuming I've understood it correctly!)

Guest comicbookguy

ahh.. the joys of crack flashing while half asleep and accidentally wiping your data partition when you've not backed up your latest twrp and TB backups. meh. ...... looks and feels nice tho so far, but it all depends on headphone and A2Dp volume levels really

Edited by comicbookguy

Guest The Soup Thief

Crap! Sorry to have lured you in! Let me know how you get on with it. I find the Rom just easy and well suited to my tastes. The killer app for me at the mo is Cyandelta which (frankly) boogie-woogies on my brain

Guest comicbookguy

It was my fault for rushing and not backing stuff up to PC, lol. I ended up reverting to a week old r12 backup. it was just taking a little too long to set up CM and Autohide Softkeys wasn't working :( .

Going to try the latest nightly for the next 4 days while I'm off and do. As a confirmed crackflasher (hence the rushing....), the idea of Cyandelta makes me giggedy too..

Edited by comicbookguy

Guest The Soup Thief

Could just use expanded desktop setting within Cyanogenmod (a la paranoid android) - no need for Autohide Softkeys (see below) aduhybuh.jpg

I like Roundr app too...

Guest comicbookguy

not particularly a fan of "Pie" (not on android, anyway....) Autohide has been updated now and works well (i only paid for pro 2 weeks ago). it just allows you to swipe the softkeys on and off when you want to

my backup issue was only partially my fault. i only lost my latest, but a Twrp error meant my last 2 pc backups were incomplete (ext files not able to be copied off the phone) and i hadn't checked file sizes....derp.

purposely flashed an older nightly so i could test Cyandelta (yes i'm that bad)

looks and feels very nice, similar to MCMCR. headphone volume is good, so as long as A2DP volume is the same i think i'll be very happy

ah. just done another cyandelta update and it removed Nova Launcher and a couple of extra apps i have installed in System, and put back the CM stock apps i'd removed. meh. wonder if it would be possible to edit the update before installing it?

Edited by comicbookguy

Guest comicbookguy

<p>you get 2 camera apps- the standard 4.3 one and "Focal"- CM's own one. used Focal a little today and it seems fine, but i'm hardly a shutterbug....

edit 12/9: 2 borked (bootlooping) updates last week were a bit annoying, but no probs since

today's nightly didn't remove PowerToggles, but did remove News & Weather from /system

last few nightlies haven't messed with Nova Launcher

still have to flash Franco Kernel JSS backup after each flash (is it possible to edit the Delta before install?)

can't get the rom to see MP3 ringtones, notifications or alarms. grr. FIXED: had to clear data for "Media Storage" in [settings>Aps>All] and reboot.

Think that the "Alarms", "Notifications" & "Ringtones" folders on the virtual SD card should now be placed inside the "media" folder with no caps in the names too). This sticks after each delta tho

AVRCP1.4 Song Metadata over bluetooth is player dependant. my ususal player (³) doesn't send it. shame because the ui is great for use in the car. switched to MediaMonkey beta instead

Edited by comicbookguy