witts end stuck at cwm screen

Guest Majorwedgy

Guest Majorwedgy

OK, very long story short, flashed a gen 2 blade 1 TPT onto my vivacity which appears to have screwed my device up a little, think I have managed to flash a Crescent TPT and am getting boot loop, device always boots into CWM. I have flashed loads of roms, tried the genuine ZTE update tool which claimed to have updated the device but no matter what I do device always boots into CWM and not into the OS - I can flash things from CWM but nothing else.....HELP :(

Guest CurtisAndroidSF2

Try doing a full wipe (dalvik cache, cache and wipe data) then flash another stock tpt and then follow the normal procedures. Hopefully the TPT will recover it all back to stock and you'll be able to start from scratch. Been a while since I've used a Crescent but I'll try and help.

Curtis

Guest Majorwedgy

thanks mate, done all those things, suspect may just ebay it as working but needing a flash - if someone who knew this device well had it am sure it would be up and running in no time. certain everything is working, but I would guess the boot.img is crocked since it doesn't kick on to load the OS simply reverting to CWM.

Guest dodgetimmy

If it's going to recovery each time, then you are not correctly flashing the tpt correctly. You should instead see a progress bar go from 0 to 100 and then your phone will reboot. How are you trying to install the tpts and where are you getting them from?

Also do you have a vivicity?San Fran 2? Touch plus?

Guest Majorwedgy

that sounds about right, getting TPT from http://www.modaco.com/topic/349795-san-francisco-iit-mobile-vivacity-tpts/ using option 4. I extract the bin file using zte bin extractor tool because my phone does not work using the press the volume up button and home/menu key instead I use the tool here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1644220

2.TPT.

TPT is a way of flashing part of the low-level firmware on your phone. After successfully flashing the files below you will regain access to clockworkmod. You need a different type of TPT depending on what variant of the Blade you have. If you have a China Unicom v880 or any other Chinese variant then you must not flash a TPT designed for European Blades, and vice versa. Be aware that flashing a modified or corrupt TPT can permanently brick your phone. Choose the appropriate file below.

European Gen1 TPT

Use this if your phone is a European GSM variant and if it is Gen1 or has been upgraded to Gen2 via TPT. This will flash stock Gen1 firmware.

European Gen2 TPT

Use this if your phone is a European GSM variant and if it was sold as Gen2 or upgraded to stock Gen2 via windows. This will flash stock Gen2 firmware.

China Unicom v880 Gen2 TPT

Use this if your phone is a China Unicom v880 (unsure, but may work on Chinese u880/x880). This will flash the stock Gen2 firmware taken from the B15 android 2.2.2 update.

Flashing a TPT

1.Download the applicable TPT file from above.

2.Unzip and put the “image” folder onto the root directory of your SD card.

3.Disconnect and reconnect your SD card and check the integrity of the TPT files. There is a file called "image.hash" in the image folder which contains all the files' md5 hashes in plain text. Make sure that the md5 of all the files match, or you may brick your phone.

4.Turn on your phone with the SD card inserted and with menu and volume up held.

5.The screen will either stay black or show green text (if you see the green android immediately then it didn't work), and will restart into clockworkmod when done. Wait at least 5 minutes for it to restart if you don’t see anything.

6.When it is finished (even if it didn't work), then remove the image directory from the SD card to prevent accidental flashing later on.

7.You can now flash a ROM using clockworkmod. If it doesn't work, then using a different SD card may help.

If you have a European variant then it is safe to try both Gen1 and Gen2 TPTs separately in case you have made a mistake.

I would anyday recommend flashing a TPT to recover it than the windows method given below. But in case you don't recover your blade using the TPT method,use the method below.

Guest dodgetimmy

That's probably your problem, you own a ZTE crescent variant, but have flashed a tpt using a tool designed for the ZTE blade.

In short, don't use that tool. There's a knack to getting my phone to goto tpt flash mode. First you need to be holding the menu and volume up key. Whilst continuing to hold them down, you then hold the power button.

Then it should flash the tpt.

If it doesn't, then either:

You don't have the tpt image.bin file saved within a folder named image on your sd card

Or

The shortcut on the vivicity is different from my phone.My phone is the Orange San Francisco 2. Try researching or trying differing combos maybe?

If this all fails, just follow the steps in the thread on this forum:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?/topic/354290-[How-To]Save-your-dead-vivacity!!

Guest dodgetimmy

Btw, due to lack of large system tpts for the vivicity, no ics/jb roms will fit apart from slimbean or cm without gapps so I would stick only to trying to install gb roms, at least for now.

Guest Majorwedgy

thanks very much for the response mate, tried all those things to no avail, just sold on ebay as wasted far too many hours on it! The money they go for on there is silly imho! once again thanks for your help