37 replies to this topic

Frankish

Frankish

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 4S Xiaocai X9 THL W200

You seem to be trying to talk yourself out of buying one Frankish!

I admit it will be realllllly tough not to buy one of these at this price point! Very tempted.

You really don't. Most people on these forums are interested in ROM customization and there isn't much chance for that with these Chinese MediaTek devices. Sure there's xposed framework etc these days but you're still stuck hacking your stock ROM no matter what. There's no chance for your favorite AOSP based ROM (CyanogenMod, AOKP, AOSPA, RootBox, PAC, and the list goes on) on MediaTek platform, when there's no such problem with Qualcomm devices. Performance-wise msm8x25q should be in par with recent MediaTek quad-core platforms. And SGX544 GPU used in those is ancient too.

Generally speaking, nice too see Snapdragon 200 devices finally hitting the market in Europe. These are planned as entry level devices so you can't expect miracles anyway. Seems that ZTE has hit a nice price point for that (at least for countries where Nexus 4 is not available at Play Store price :P).

I see what you're saying in regards to roms and customization etc i totally get that point. My bang for buck reference is more down to the core specs, screen, slightly better gpu. Some of these MTK phones have an almost fully AOSP 4.2 so are great to buy just AS IS. I bought mine with the aim of installing MIUI as it's officially available.

I'm sure i'll end up with the ZTE though as i say i loved my "San Francisco".

StuAff

StuAff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Devices:Moto G 16GB
Was thinking of upgrading from my trusty Blade to a Huawei Y300- I'm on O2 so I can get that for £70 as a PAYG upgrade. But this looks interesting. Worth the extra?

Frankish

Frankish

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 4S Xiaocai X9 THL W200
100% worth the extra the Y300 is slow, 512mb of ram simply isn't enough at all.

hajj_3

hajj_3

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend Y550

100% worth the extra the Y300 is slow, 512mb of ram simply isn't enough at all.

y300 has dual cortex a5 1ghz cores, this has quad cortex a5 1.2ghz cores so you'd expect a pretty nice cpu performance boost too, especially if someone can create a cyanogenmod rom for it using android 4.2/4.3.

StuAff

StuAff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Devices:Moto G 16GB
Thanks gents. From what I've read, I think much of the performance issues with the Huawei are down to the Emotion UI, and that can be dumped with a new ROM or a bit of hacking, and the Blade works well enough for my needs with 512MB, but the Blade V certainly sounds like the better bet.

wrtease

wrtease

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Interests:TESTING ANDROID MOBILES TO THE LIMIT
    ALWAYS READY TO TRY OUT ANY ROM AND MOBILE TO THE LIMIT
  • Devices:SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB2 & S1 8GB
  • Twitter:@none
well its what you pay for ,you get nothing more .looks a good backup phone .it will be out tomorrow and will be a good seller for the budget buyer.il wait for people to buy it then get it at cash gens as usual lol

wrtease

wrtease

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

cmberry20

cmberry20

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Devices:San Franciso
ZTE need to release a Skate 2. My wife has my old Skate & the poor thing is just too slow compared to a lot of new budget phones.

However, the Skate does benefit from the 4.3" screen, Once you use a phone with a 4.3"+ screen you can never go lower imo.
Therefore, I wouldnt really consider the Blade V. I might if it really had good specs, but its quite 'meh' across the board.

Might have to save up & get the 8GB Nexus for the wife.
https://play.google...._4_8gb&hl=en_GB

IMO - the BEST sub £200 phone on the market.

wrtease

wrtease

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Edited by wrtease, 03 September 2013 - 12:36 PM.

doncoop

doncoop

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4
  • Twitter:@doncoop
Got the Y300 for the missus

i uninstalled:
huawei home
huawei lock screen
their widget
few other apps

installed holo launcher

works good for the £54 paid for it

Admit 1gb of ram would have made a huge difference. But she only really sees lags when big things are in the memory.

When she quits rubbish like FB and candy crush she just needs to wipe them from the system and its OK.

Would I have chosen this for her if it was SIM free? defo

But I still dont knock what you get from the Y300

Maringer

Maringer

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

There's no chance for your favorite AOSP based ROM (CyanogenMod, AOKP, AOSPA, RootBox, PAC, and the list goes on) on MediaTek platform, when there's no such problem with Qualcomm devices. Performance-wise msm8x25q should be in par with recent MediaTek quad-core platforms. And SGX544 GPU used in those is ancient too.

Apparently, Sony have just released full source code for the MTK6589 chipset:

http://developer.son...ld-16-0-a-0-36/

This could, perhaps be useful for people attempting to develop ROMs for the many cheaper MTK devices?

Not much use for me, however, as my FAEA F1 uses Qualcomm 8225q (or possibly 8625q). No source code released for this as yet, however, so I'm surprised that you mentioned it is easier to develop for Qualcomm devices? My understanding was the the quad Cortex-A5 devices didn't have any source available for them.

Speaking of my F1, it leaves me pretty unimpressed with the specs of the Blade V - the F1 has a 4.5" 720p screen as well as NFC support and I paid just a little over £100 for mine though, of course, I did have to order it from FAEA in China.

A good and well-built phone, slightly limited by the odd bug in the ROM but it remains to be seen whether FAEA will release a 4.2 ROM as promised. Incidentally, performance of the quad-A5s is a fair bit lower than the MTK6589 chips. Cortex-A7s in the MTK chips are faster than the Cortex-A5s and the PowerVR GPU is quite a bit more powerful than the Adreno 203.

targetbsp

targetbsp

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts
  • Devices:Hudl 2, Blade V
This looks fantastic for the money! Highly likely to tempt me back to ZTE and hopefully back here if we can get another good community going. XDA just isn't the same. :(

Might have to save up & get the 8GB Nexus for the wife.
IMO - the BEST sub £200 phone on the market.

Its big problem is no sd slot. I'm already using 21gb of sd space

well its what you pay for ,you get nothing more .

How do you account for (as mentioned in the first post) HTC selling a similar specced phone for 3 times the price? One of the manufacturers customers aren't getting what they pay for!

My Blade site - includes vanilla KANGS's of CM7. Also available: modified GB Gapps with various market versions, mini ICS Gapps for 160mb system partitions and Flash for ARMv6
CM7 Blade changelog

KonstaT

KonstaT

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
  • Devices:Moto G, ZTE Open C
  • Twitter:@konstatuomio

Apparently, Sony have just released full source code for the MTK6589 chipset:

http://developer.son...ld-16-0-a-0-36/

This could, perhaps be useful for people attempting to develop ROMs for the many cheaper MTK devices?

Not much use for me, however, as my FAEA F1 uses Qualcomm 8225q (or possibly 8625q). No source code released for this as yet, however, so I'm surprised that you mentioned it is easier to develop for Qualcomm devices? My understanding was the the quad Cortex-A5 devices didn't have any source available for them.

Lol, not even close. :D That's 203mb of download, full Android source is 8gb or might be even more nowadays. It has kernel source and some other bits with copyleft licences that Sony usually releases (because they're great :)). There's been better partial source drops for MediaTek before. Nothing that would even come close to building viable AOSP based ROMs. You are probably just confused with kernel source code and Android platform source code.

Qualcomm releases full source code for their platforms in Code Aurora. Latest release for MSM8225Q is Android 4.1 from June 3rd and you can download the source on tag M8625QSOSKMLYA31201C. If your device manufacturer hasn't released a kernel source for your msm8x25q device, you should contact them and request them to release it (it's GPL, they're legally obligated to provide it).

cmberry20

cmberry20

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Devices:San Franciso
My wife doesn't use much space at all. 8gb of space would be plenty. Because the Blade V specs aren't that impressive the Nexus 4 is leagues ahead of it.
Here's food for thought, the Blade V has the same resolution screen as the first blade but has a smaller dpi. Plus I bet the Blade 1 oled screen is better.

Maringer

Maringer

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Lol, not even close. :D That's 203mb of download, full Android source is 8gb or might be even more nowadays. It has kernel source and some other bits with copyleft licences that Sony usually releases (because they're great :)). There's been better partial source drops for MediaTek before. Nothing that would even come close to building viable AOSP based ROMs. You are probably just confused with kernel source code and Android platform source code.

Qualcomm releases full source code for their platforms in Code Aurora. Latest release for MSM8225Q is Android 4.1 from June 3rd and you can download the source on tag M8625QSOSKMLYA31201C. If your device manufacturer hasn't released a kernel source for your msm8x25q device, you should contact them and request them to release it (it's GPL, they're legally obligated to provide it).

Ah, didn't realise that much more source code was required. I'd just seen a link elsewhere pointing to the Sony MTK stuff and thought I should mention it.

As for my F1 phone, others have already requested the source code without any reply from FAEA. The joys of buying from China, I suppose. No point in me asking as well as I don't have either the coding experience or time to help with enthusiast ROMs. Not to mention the fact that I was crap at coding in the first place when at University a couple of decades ago! ;)

hecatae

hecatae

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,253 posts
  • Devices:Moto E
anyone bought one yet?

lazyliam

lazyliam

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Lol love the comment above just checking myself thinking same thing I'm itching to get one galaxy s struggling bad with jb and 512 ram plus gets me of that aloof xda lol miss this place and the original blade days :-)

ilievski.ace

ilievski.ace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Devices:samsung apollo i5800
хахах See this :)

nice Compare

Blade 3 Pro VS ZTE BLADE V

http://www.gsmarena....5&idPhone2=5682

Edited by ilievski.ace, 06 September 2013 - 05:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users