Help, brand new g300 problems + free sim unlock

Guest Alkapton

Guest Alkapton

I had to get a new g300 from Argus after I lost my old one.

I found that Vodaphone shop in Newport Wales would unlock the sim for FREE! if either it was over a year old or i had the recipt so they could void the warranty. Being desperate and not having the recipt I opted to pay £20 and get it unlocked there and then.

I have managed to root my phone OK and it is rooted because root apps work OK.

Now the problems:-

I am stuck on Vodaphone U8815V100R001C02B895 Kernel Version 2.6.38.6-perf android@localhost#1

There are no more system or firmware upgrades available for me.

I try to install clockwork Mod Recovery using ClockworkG300.exe and it seems to flash OK. The phone boots up OK. But when I try poweron and vol+ together I am stuck on the splash screen, after a few secs the capacitive buttons light up but that is all that happens I remain on splash screen until I press power button and reboot phone.

I try to follow guides like the 5 year old guides but important pages are missing or I cant find them.

I try to find a stock ics rom to use the iemi hack method but the page that lists the roms seems to be missing.

I really can't wade through 100's of pages to see if there is already help here for me, I hope you understand that. I just need a way to get back to ICS with a functioning clockworkmod.

Please please help me, I'm slowley loosing the will to live.

Guest plewis1981

I can upload b952 but I will not be able to do it untill later on.

I know this may be a stupid question, but have you put the Vodafone sim in the phone as the first time I booted my phone I was prompted to download the official Vodafone ICS ROM.

Guest Alkapton

When I first turn this on I updated firmware to what I say above. I updated system apps also and got allbackup.

But no difference between vodaphone and 3 sim - there are no updates

Not only is colckwork missing stock recovery is also missing now.

Guest Alkapton

OK, I found files on laptop I used to flash clockworkmod to my old phone when it ran gingerbread - the adb way.

I tried it... I now have stock recovery back. clockwork is still missing... will now try different img file.

Guest Alkapton

Success! Found recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5s-hwu8815.img flashed it ok and used it to install clockwork 6.0.3.7 and that ok.

Now just need change baseband and get ics back.

I try to install clockwork Mod Recovery using ClockworkG300.exe and it seems to flash OK.

You may need to unlock the bootloader first but DON'T follow the "like you're 5" tutorial on this but instead do an official unlock of the bootloader here:

I try to follow guides like the 5 year old guides but important pages are missing or I cant find them.

I thought that all relevant pages were available?

I try to find a stock ics rom to use the iemi hack method but the page that lists the roms seems to be missing.

If at all possible DON'T hack your IMEI because this may cause problems even after restoring it.

In any case it should not be necessary to hack the IMEI.

I really can't wade through 100's of pages to see if there is already help here for me, I hope you understand that.

It's not that difficult to search the forum using Google...

Guest Alkapton

Ok I all sorted now. What I did was cwm flash the upgrade.zip from the upgrade/downgrade thread above, then flash my favorite rom.

Scary because on first boot phone crashed halfway through booting. Second attempt the phone booted but had no telephony at all - even the normal first boot prompt to register with google did not happen and seemed the phone had no possibility to connect to anything.

Third attempt at booting worked fine everything working and no problems after.

The upgrade.zip is fantastic, scary but fantastic.