Very disappointed with Tesco's Demo Units...

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi All,

Is it just me, or did anyone else face the same problem I did with the instore demo units on promotion...??

I was hoping to have a good play with this device this evening in shop, so I could see if its right for my mum and brother.... (as presents)

But when I get there, I find the Tablets are so locked down that you cant do anything other than watch their Promo Video....

Desktop / Adding Widgets = LOCKED DOWN
Dock Icons = LOCKED DOWN
Power Button / To reboot = LOCKED DOWN

In short, I couldnt do or test anything on this device, other than watching the video over and over...

Very poor show Tesco's... I'll be back, tomorrow, with family in toe... So that we can get one of the Tesco's bods to unlock it, so we can test some features out....

Those that do have it, whats it like... Esp for reading books???  Is the print (although the eBook Reader Apps can increase it) to small due to small screen and high res?? This will be for someone who has visual issues and under going cateract (spelling?) operation, and prefers a 8" Tablet.

But based on the hardware of this device, Ive been trying to persuade to get this model...

Cheers, Lister

Guest Michealtbh

You can change the font size in almost all ebook apps. You can also change the general ui font size under display settings. On top of that Android also has accessibility settings which may also be of help.

Guest Lister Of Smeg

@ Flibblesan,

Oh, so worst experience than me then... Both mine turned on, but could do no more than watch a video. Although one had some kinda screen protector with useful hints as to what the buttons do still on the screen, so made it hard to see whats underneeth it...

@ Michaeltbh,

Thanks for this, yeah... thats the beauty of Android... So customizeable... :)  And yeah, most eBook Apps can change the fonts and that...  Trying to teach and explain this to my mum is another matter... LOL.  Just wondered as the screen does look small, less than 7" and with a high res, wondered if things looked a little to sharp for the older eye.... ;) lol

At present, mum has got her eye on some cheap made, under spec'd, over priced, brick of a Tablet in Argos... purely because its a 8" square-ish thing...

My arguement is that its no bigger/smaller than the average paperback... with the added bonus, YOU change the size of the text ;) :D

Guest Lister Of Smeg

The experience just got a whole lot worse.....

Took the folks in (mob handed...) Well, after all, it is my mum who'll be using it the most as its a present for her...

We get there (after the day before, the units were so locked down, all you could do was watch a video on them). So we walk over to both units only to find they were FROZEN/CRASHED...

Unit 1) Black screen with just navi-bar icons, and not responding to anything... Eventually I got it to say "Log Out" but it still did nothing. I tried to kill the power and reset it, nothing....

Unit 2) Stuck on some demo screen, but showed a HUGE ICON for Google Play. It was so bright and nothing happening, that I thought it was a sticker stuck over the top of the screen.

Anyway, called the chap over.. (didnt want too, as its the same muppet I had my dispute with regarding my faulty TV's). Anyway, he came along, and did summit to reset them properly.... Well, one he did... the other still crashed!!! He typed something in, which sadly I couldnt see... Which unlocked it from demo mode...

However, this wasnt a lot of good... As couldnt see any Apps on it that would promote it for mums use... Wanted to see what text is like, and to change fonts and stuff like that... All the Apps had fixed fonts, and were TINY!!! Mum could barely read anything on it.. :( I tried telling her once I got the device, I could tweak it and put the Apps on and make fonts bigger and that....

But to say, the demo didnt really go down well.. :( So on Saturday, we are going to Argos / PC World to look at the bigger Tablets...  But I shall still try to persuade for money and specs, you cant go far wrong with this... ;) lol

Cheers, Lister

Guest glossywhite

The experience just got a whole lot worse.....

Took the folks in (mob handed...) Well, after all, it is my mum who'll be using it the most as its a present for her...

We get there (after the day before, the units were so locked down, all you could do was watch a video on them). So we walk over to both units only to find they were FROZEN/CRASHED...

Unit 1) Black screen with just navi-bar icons, and not responding to anything... Eventually I got it to say "Log Out" but it still did nothing. I tried to kill the power and reset it, nothing....

Unit 2) Stuck on some demo screen, but showed a HUGE ICON for Google Play. It was so bright and nothing happening, that I thought it was a sticker stuck over the top of the screen.

Anyway, called the chap over.. (didnt want too, as its the same muppet I had my dispute with regarding my faulty TV's). Anyway, he came along, and did summit to reset them properly.... Well, one he did... the other still crashed!!! He typed something in, which sadly I couldnt see... Which unlocked it from demo mode...

However, this wasnt a lot of good... As couldnt see any Apps on it that would promote it for mums use... Wanted to see what text is like, and to change fonts and stuff like that... All the Apps had fixed fonts, and were TINY!!! Mum could barely read anything on it.. :( I tried telling her once I got the device, I could tweak it and put the Apps on and make fonts bigger and that....

But to say, the demo didnt really go down well.. :( So on Saturday, we are going to Argos / PC World to look at the bigger Tablets...  But I shall still try to persuade for money and specs, you cant go far wrong with this... ;) lol

Cheers, Lister

Did you consider that it could be their demo software &/or customer abuse causing the crashes? Android is not indestructable, nor are computing devices. The wise move would have been to buy one - a sealed, UN-DEMO'D one, and tried it for a few days.

Tesco don't exactly do themselves any favours. They'd be prudent to employ mass-deployed demo product restore images (and an IT framework who actually KNOW what they're doing!), that can be flashed back into the units at the end of every day - a fresh install image - this is what Apple do for their Macs, and it erases all the junk and malfunctions customers have caused, and resets them to fresh install state. There really is NO excuse for Tesco to be demonstrating a product THEY ARE BRANDING, AND ACTIVELY PROMOTING FOR **THEIR** BENEFIT, in such a slip-shod fashion; it smacks of them being totally clueless. The same can be said for the "any colour, so long as it's black" nonsense - what's THAT about?

I'm sure the tablet is marvellous - it's the sales channel that is rubbish, because they treat their employees, their "customers" AND the local economies of the UK with such sheer contempt; it must be utterly demoralising to work for such a corporate bully.

Stick to pork pies, Tesco - not much can go wrong with those! ^_^

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Lister Of Smeg

I beg to differ, after all... We all enjoyed those lovely tasty Horse Pies, No? ;) lol

Stick to pork pies, Tesco - not much can go wrong with those! ^_^

But yeah, I did gather it could be the constant abuse of the average shopper... Whilst we was waiting to be seen by a Tesco's bod... We must of had like 5x people come upto us, and almost push us out the way so they could try the DEAD tablets.... After all, we wasnt just standing there looking pretty for the fun of it, WE WANTED SERVICE!!! ;) lol

And yes, I also agree that some (prolly not all) Tesco Bods need to be trained more... Unfortunately we was seen by the numpty idiot who I had my fall-out with, over my faulty TV. A Tesco's branded TV (my 3rd in 7x months... different units) and all had faults. But because of the previous two faults, the local Tesco's and they're USELESS outsourced Support denied any faults or responsability... The engineer who came out, agreed the set was faulty, took it away two weeks (over Christmas) I had to chase to get back, still broken. They took it again, returned unrepaired, took it to the store who this numpty took it to their canteen to test, and came back saying nothing wrong with it... when there clearly was.

So I took photos, videos, and blogged it on the net... I then sent Tescos ANOTHER snotty letter, explaining what I have done, where they can find all my snotty comments/posts and photo/video evidence... Within a day, I was called, and they apologisied and offered a full refund... I have since got my TV from Richer Sounds, and very happy since.. ;) :D

I did think about buying the Tablet to test out... But thought if it wasnt suitable for my mum (has poor vision at the moment, until eyes are fully operated on) that it may not be good enough or upto the job... And that Tesco's would not take it back, considering they wouldnt even take back FAULTY stock to start with, until I went VENTFUL!! ;) lol

Sure, I could of bought it off my mum... But I have enough devices to look after as it is, not to say I will prolly add this to the collection eventually... as it does look fun! :)

But yes, I fully agree with the stock image solution.... After all, this is what PC World do as well, at the end of the day if there are faults. As we were due to get the Tablet from there originally, and the one my mum liked was only left with a Demo unit that had been majorly abused... scratches, and even software not working!!! (ok, the software fault was by me.. Doh!) As I heard if you turn the brightness fully down, you cant then turn it back up norr see anything on the screen. This is indeed true, and unfortnately the Tablet remained like that ever since (at least a month now, why they dont know or image it I've no idea). But the lady said if I was interested in it, they could flash the stock image on it for me. I told her I could do this anyway... But the Tablet was physically abused with scratches too, otherwise would of been great...

However for Tesco's to supply and demo crippled units (ie: over zelous?? lockdown) where you can barely do anything other than few video promo, hardly promotes the device... Even when it was unlocked, there wasnt enough pre-installed Apps to really sell it. Although on the plus side, its as close to Google Stock as you could want it... :) lol

Cheers, Lister

Guest glossywhite

I beg to differ, after all... We all enjoyed those lovely tasty Horse Pies, No? ;) lol

But yeah, I did gather it could be the constant abuse of the average shopper... Whilst we was waiting to be seen by a Tesco's bod... We must of had like 5x people come upto us, and almost push us out the way so they could try the DEAD tablets.... After all, we wasnt just standing there looking pretty for the fun of it, WE WANTED SERVICE!!! ;) lol

And yes, I also agree that some (prolly not all) Tesco Bods need to be trained more... Unfortunately we was seen by the numpty idiot who I had my fall-out with, over my faulty TV. A Tesco's branded TV (my 3rd in 7x months... different units) and all had faults. But because of the previous two faults, the local Tesco's and they're USELESS outsourced Support denied any faults or responsability... The engineer who came out, agreed the set was faulty, took it away two weeks (over Christmas) I had to chase to get back, still broken. They took it again, returned unrepaired, took it to the store who this numpty took it to their canteen to test, and came back saying nothing wrong with it... when there clearly was.

So I took photos, videos, and blogged it on the net... I then sent Tescos ANOTHER snotty letter, explaining what I have done, where they can find all my snotty comments/posts and photo/video evidence... Within a day, I was called, and they apologisied and offered a full refund... I have since got my TV from Richer Sounds, and very happy since.. ;) :D

I did think about buying the Tablet to test out... But thought if it wasnt suitable for my mum (has poor vision at the moment, until eyes are fully operated on) that it may not be good enough or upto the job... And that Tesco's would not take it back, considering they wouldnt even take back FAULTY stock to start with, until I went VENTFUL!! ;) lol

Sure, I could of bought it off my mum... But I have enough devices to look after as it is, not to say I will prolly add this to the collection eventually... as it does look fun! :)

But yes, I fully agree with the stock image solution.... After all, this is what PC World do as well, at the end of the day if there are faults. As we were due to get the Tablet from there originally, and the one my mum liked was only left with a Demo unit that had been majorly abused... scratches, and even software not working!!! (ok, the software fault was by me.. Doh!) As I heard if you turn the brightness fully down, you cant then turn it back up norr see anything on the screen. This is indeed true, and unfortnately the Tablet remained like that ever since (at least a month now, why they dont know or image it I've no idea). But the lady said if I was interested in it, they could flash the stock image on it for me. I told her I could do this anyway... But the Tablet was physically abused with scratches too, otherwise would of been great...

However for Tesco's to supply and demo crippled units (ie: over zelous?? lockdown) where you can barely do anything other than few video promo, hardly promotes the device... Even when it was unlocked, there wasnt enough pre-installed Apps to really sell it. Although on the plus side, its as close to Google Stock as you could want it... :) lol

Cheers, Lister

From what you have said, it doesn't sound like your attitude helps you out much; a kind word turns away wrath - you reap what you sow. Contrary to what you may think, you are not the only person in Tesco seeking service and attention from the shop staff - they have a VERY unrewarding job, working for a company who exploits people and demoralises the staff for their bottom line. Life is about OTHER people too.

Going "ventful" (whatever that means - pardon my naivity) is not the answer; it ALWAYS pays dividends to be patient and polite, even if you do not FEEL like being either - even if the person serving you is impatient or rude. Do you think being rude is going to further your cause? They're used to aggressive, grumpy, complaining brits - we are a country of spoilt babies sometimes - so it's MUCH simpler for them to dismiss you or walk away - if you are KIND and polite, you make people WANT to be nice and go out of their way for you. Treat them how YOU expected them to treat YOU, and you'll get further.

All through your story, you put people down and curse them as if they are worth nothing; I urge you to remember that these "numpties" are all someone's brother, sister and someone's son or daughter. Not one of us deserves LESS respect than any other, especially over something as utterly trivial and shallow as a mere retail experience - imagine you over-heard someone talking to YOUR sibling like that, if they worked there? I am convinced you'd take a very different view.

With all respect - based upon what YOU have written, it is your approach which could be causing most of the problems, not Tesco, and not the device.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi GlossyWhite,

Sorry to make this post even longer, or dragged out... But just want to explain/express myself better. I feel my wording above has put me in a rather bad light, and couldnt be any further from the truth of what I actually am. I work in IT Support, and have done for some many years... I am use to talking and working with all kinds of people, from corp to children working in schools. People who actually know me, know that I kind, caring, patient, friendly and supportive...

There are groups on FB, where I left a certain job and had some 300 people join and ask me to go back... :)

Sure, my wording of the above situation doesnt show or represent it or myself in a good light... Its harder to describe all the ins-and outs in such a short space of writing, than it is face to face... the meaning/and humour is lost in plain text as it is verbually...

By people pushing us, I meant other customers... We was waiting patiently for someone from Tesco's to come see us, as we asked a lady and she went off to get someone... Whilst standing there, we litterally had people walk into us, or push us further back so they could try use the broken Tablets....

By my use of Numpty, is purely out of Frustration with dealing with this one (and only) individual at this branch... Who expressed himself as a JUMPED UP know it all... He failed to listen to what myself and my dad told him. He came back after doing a full indepth test of 10 minutes in staff canteen, and failed to test the faults that I previously mentioned. It was because of this, and the fact he didnt want anything to do with it, and was going to leave me with a £500 faulty TV with 5x months still left on its warranty.

At every stage, I was calm, patient and if anything... too nice which is why it got so dragged out and took so long for them to accept the tv was faulty. If in the same boat, and had £500 in which you thought was going to be thrown down the drain, you'd be a little displeased with the service.

The way he spoke to myself and my dad, and refused to believe a fault existed is what made me dislike him. His presence on shop floor is the same even now, smug and full of himself.... We was hoping that any of the other Tesco's workers would serve us, and had joked earlier in the day whats our chances we'd be served by him...

Yes, I dont know why I used the word Ventful, even I dont know what it means in this senario... But couldnt think of a better word to describe the emotion/feeling of what I went through at the time... I guess "I went on a mission to prove my complaint was genuine" would of been a better choice of words, but considerbally longer...

Anyway, I know this counts for nothing... but just wanted to express what is written above doesnt really reflect the real me. I have a very kind attitude to life, always have done, always will do... I go out of my way to help people, helping someone remotely tonight even. Even by my own friends, Ive been described as too kind/polite for my own good, and a push over...  But I dont care, thats just me... Rather be nice and a push over, than someone who is abusive and rude... I get enough bullies and rude people in my life as it is...

Anyway...

Cheers, Lister

Edited by Lister Of Smeg

Guest glossywhite

I understand your frustrations mate :)

Just beware of putting people down - we all deserve respect - that would be my only advice to you. Noone is perfect, and they work in a crappy supermarket for a pittance, doing arduous jobs, under officious managers (not always, but often). It would make my day if, for a change, a customer were *genuinely* nice to me and courteous, patient and kind - I am sure you are all of those things, and this was just a frustrating experience, though - we've all been there - I won't say I haven't been a tyrant - I have! :P

Thankfully I don't entertain the idea of a dolt job in a corporate environment - for my own sanity, and because my life is a gift, as all our lives are. 

I don't think less of you, I would just be a hypocrite if I said I did, but I'd just advise that a kind word turns away wrath - it's just a "thing", and meaningless when compared to the love you can show to folk, as an example of kindness, by tolerance and patience.

Anyhoo, I hope it works out for you :)

God bless you, Matt.

PS: Please, would you remove that video? It's quite offensive to me as a Christian.

Thanks.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Grumpydev

The guy I chatted to on Saturday said they were having issues with the demo software crashing/hanging the devices. He was nice enough to fetch a staff device out the back for me to play around with though, so I had a "proper" demo rather than the crappy software they put on the demo devices.

Guest Lister Of Smeg

So it would seem my branches demo unit software crashes, GrumpyDev's branch also having issues with the demo software.... and now Rob4x4 branch also both units crashed (although did come away with a win/win on the twin DVD)

What does this tell us about the Demo software Tesco's (or the company who created the demo for them) are using to show off their devices...?? = Don't use it!! ;)

C'mon Tesco's, just flash them with the bog standard factory image... Leave them unlocked, so we can actually use / test them, without seeing them dead... And as we discussed further up the thread, if they get trashed... Just re-flash!!! :)

Cheers, Lister

Guest Lister Of Smeg

No wonder the poor lil Tablets are knackered, abused and run down... Flashing (oh err) every 15mins is enough to kill anyone/anything.... lol

Apparently they wipe every 15 minutes and it causes the battery to go flat!

P

Guest sjmleicester

The one in Tesco Leicester had also crashed. Tried sticking a paper clip into the reset hole but to no avail. The staff had no idea either.

You would have thought Tesco might have invested some time and effort into training one member of staff the basics about the device.

Guest glossywhite

The one in Tesco Leicester had also crashed. Tried sticking a paper clip into the reset hole but to no avail. The staff had no idea either.

You would have thought Tesco might have invested some time and effort into training one member of staff the basics about the device.

But they're Tesco - think cheap, act cheap. They have no idea :D

Guest everett_psycho

Just played quickly with the ones in the Sunbury tesco extra, one had completely crashed and the other one was when I got there but I pressed the power button and it cleaned itself and was fine afterwards. By fine I mean in that rubbish demo mode that only let's you watch videos about the app you tried to open. I did look at other tablets and this seemed the norm in their store. At least some stores have a proper demo unit if you ask

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hey Guys,

Guess what? official irent branch (today, Chatham) but same answer... Another dead Hudl on display. Took my brother me to show him as hope to get him one, but sadly all he saw was the size... As unfortunately the two staff didn't have a clue about it or how to fix it, so barely saw it...

Who ever wrore the demo firmware neeeds to have words witgh. Not only when it IS working that its so locked down that its useless... But the constant crashes leaves same results, USELESS!!! 

Thankfully we know the official firmware works..... ;)

Guest glossywhite

Hey Guys,

Guess what? official irent branch (today, Chatham) but same answer... Another dead Hudl on display. Took my brother me to show him as hope to get him one, but sadly all he saw was the size... As unfortunately the two staff didn't have a clue about it or how to fix it, so barely saw it...

Who ever wrore the demo firmware neeeds to have words witgh. Not only when it IS working that its so locked down that its useless... But the constant crashes leaves same results, USELESS!!! 

Thankfully we know the official firmware works..... ;)

Instead of taking people to Tesco to see their crippled units, why not just show people *your* hudl? That makes far more sense, and saves wasted & frustrating demos.

Guest Lister Of Smeg

If I had a Hudl, I would....  But as I dont, I can't....

We are looking at the Hudl, as believe this would be the best choice for presents for both our mum, and my brother....

However, both would like to see and try before they buy. In case what they are TOLD is a good unit might not be when it comes to it...

A company shouldnt make their demo software so poor, that it fails to demostrate what it has to offer... but unfortunately it does. We just have to expect that, appreciate it, and hope the one day they remove the demo software or just unlock it like they did for my mum the other night... (which the above branch knew nothing about).

Guest glossywhite

If I had a Hudl, I would....  But as I dont, I can't....

We are looking at the Hudl, as believe this would be the best choice for presents for both our mum, and my brother....

However, both would like to see and try before they buy. In case what they are TOLD is a good unit might not be when it comes to it...

A company shouldnt make their demo software so poor, that it fails to demostrate what it has to offer... but unfortunately it does. We just have to expect that, appreciate it, and hope the one day they remove the demo software or just unlock it like they did for my mum the other night... (which the above branch knew nothing about).

Just buy one, and if it doesn't meet your needs, return it. Once yours is bought, it can be the "demo" unit - it will be a legitimate, authentic experience upon which other people can make their decision, plus there's no pressure or people queueing up behind you... PLUS you can install what you want, and show your family how the apps they want to install, run. :)

Guest Lister Of Smeg

True, cant disagree with that... As that would be the best way to demo it... and show (mum, who is the main person to convince as she has never used such a thing before, she only just got an Android phone recently...) what it can do, and how to use it... And (as you say) without others behind watching....

Brother doesnt need convincing as much, as he knows Android very well also...  Just likes to actually see one running, as it can be a very different experience in person than what it says on paper...

I know this from a phone I bought recently, on paper (well, website) it ticked all the boxes I needed it to do. Yet when I got it, it was a different story. And the retail chain said they don't accept returns unless faulty. Luckily I was able to sell it on to a friend who it was more suitable for.

Also from previous (bad) experience from Tesco in the past, when I had GENUINE fautly TV(s), yes all 3x of them were bad... And then Tesco's refused to do anything about it or even return it for a refund, therefore I had to prove it by uploading video's to the net.

- Oh update, looks like we might be getting my brothers Tablet tomorrow.... So maybe able to demostrate that to mum at the same time... lol

Just buy one, and if it doesn't meet your needs, return it. Once yours is bought, it can be the "demo" unit - it will be a legitimate, authentic experience upon which other people can make their decision, plus there's no pressure or people queueing up behind you... PLUS you can install what you want, and show your family how the apps they want to install, run. :)