167 replies to this topic

jonoathome

jonoathome

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Devices:Hudl, Nexus 7, i9305, TF300T
  • Twitter:@jonoathome

Thanks, Paul - worked a treat. Although it's mentioned later in the thread, it might be worth editing the top post to indicate that the rkflashtool executable in your download link is 64bit (I had to compile a 32bit version for my use)?

Hey @~pmv could you share your 32bit version ?

Thanks in advance..

Edited by jonoathome, 03 November 2013 - 04:49 PM.

www.sixcrazyminutes.com

slannesh

slannesh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Hudl

Why wouldn't you just Google: "ADB driver installer", instead of downloading 400Mb+ of stuff you don't need... :S

http://adbdriver.com/

Have to say I tried this, using the adbdriver and on my PC, I could not for the life of me get it to recognise the Hudl with anything but the microsoft driver. I am no slouch when it comes to PC's but no matter what I did to uninstall drivers etc it wouldn't work. Luckily for me, I have a laptop, which had never seen the Hudl.

I connected the Hudl, let it install the normal driver. Then I installed the driver on their from the adbdriver download. The adbdriver program showed the device as an "Android Composite ADB Interface" (for reference my PC showed Rockusb device - prob after several failed attempts to get the RKTools driver to work, even though device manager is showing the microsoft driver in use!).

As others have said once Kingo saw the device, it rooted with no issues at all.

Time to start playing  :)

Edited by slannesh, 04 November 2013 - 06:41 PM.

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Hey @~pmv could you share your 32bit version ?

Thanks in advance..

Since Paul is not responding, and hasn't for many weeks (even to PMs), I am creating a warning thread re-directing to his, which notifies hackers of the 64 bit arch of the rkflashtool.

Edited by glossywhite, 04 November 2013 - 05:18 PM.

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

You can now root your Hudl! :)

YOU USE THIS TOOL AT YOUR OWN RISK! We take no responsibility for any problems caused.

Pre-requisites are as follows:

• A computer running Linux (a live CD should work) - I am currently looking at the Windows / OS X options
  • A Hudl running ROM version 20130923.020558 (check in Settings -> About -> Hudl Updates) - do NOT install on other versions
  • A microUSB cable to connect the Hudl to your computer
  • A pin to press the reset button
To root your Hudl...
  • download this package DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: f32f67b3d7942a0d0ec2da3323833813
  • extract the zip
  • plug the hudl in via USB and press the reset pin while holding volume up (the device will appear to stay off)
  • open a terminal window to the extracted directory
  • run 'sudo ./flashroot.hudl.linux.sh'
  • wait for it to complete
  • the device will now go into 'charging' mode, turn it on as normal
  • when the device has booted, install SuperSU from the Play Store
  • try a root app - it should work!
This is just an initial root - if this is too daunting or you don't have access to a Linux box, don't worry, we're working on alternative options. :)

Note that the process creates a backup of your stock system image... just in case... :)

P

PS ROM developers? This flashes a regular Ext4 system image. If you want to mod your device? You can, by modding the image and re-flashing! :)

Paul, the image is not EXT4, it's EXT3.

Edited by glossywhite, 06 November 2013 - 09:26 PM.

Masses

Masses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:Hudl Xperia

Got my 64gb SD card from Amazon as recommended in post #49 above.  Hudl wouldn't recognise it to format it (delivered 'RAW'; Hudl showed only a tiny card icon with an exclamation mark).  Linux wouldn't 'mount' it either.  So I used Windows to format it as FAT32, with 'guiformat.exe' - but Windows only formats to 27.47gb.  So, back into Linux ('mount'...) which recognised it this time, and happily formatted again (as 'FAT') to full 64gb capacity (...'unmount').  Then into Hudl, which at last showed full available space as per the advice earlier in the thread.  Maybe there's an easier way for cleverer people, but this one does work.

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Got my 64gb SD card from Amazon as recommended in post #49 above.  Hudl wouldn't recognise it to format it (delivered 'RAW'; Hudl showed only a tiny card icon with an exclamation mark).  Linux wouldn't 'mount' it either.  So I used Windows to format it as FAT32, with 'guiformat.exe' - but Windows only formats to 27.47gb.  So, back into Linux ('mount'...) which recognised it this time, and happily formatted again (as 'FAT') to full 64gb capacity (...'unmount').  Then into Hudl, which at last showed full available space as per the advice earlier in the thread.  Maybe there's an easier way for cleverer people, but this one does work.

GNU/Linux ALWAYS solves the problems ;)

Edited by glossywhite, 08 November 2013 - 04:27 PM.

Masses

Masses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:Hudl Xperia

Too right on Linux, Glossywhite. My post #119 above reported that the recommended Linux flash didn't work for me, but when I later installed Mint 64 'Olivia' on HDD, with Hudl as the only device on USB, the method worked perfectly.  I stand corrected!

Most 'Apps' recognise the result as rooted, but I see that in unpacked 'default.prop', 'ro.secure=1' and only 'ro.debuggable=0'.  Android Commander seems to object on the grounds that both flags should be zero.  Same result from Kingo.  Is either root complete?

CaptainMidnight

CaptainMidnight

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Devices:hudl1+2, HTC One S, M8 TV Box

Not sure on your question - but does it really matter if you can use the app's that you want to use that require 'root' ;)

SifJar

SifJar

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Devices:HTC Explorer

Most 'Apps' recognise the result as rooted, but I see that in unpacked 'default.prop', 'ro.secure=1' and only 'ro.debuggable=0'.  Android Commander seems to object on the grounds that both flags should be zero.  Same result from Kingo.  Is either root complete?

"complete root" simply means su binary in /system/bin and a superuser access management app installed (i.e. Superuser (ChainsDD's version [closed source]), Superuser (Koush's version [open source] or SuperSU (Chainfire's version [closed source])). AFAIK, both methods install SuperSU (seems to be most popular these days, although Koush's Superuser is the one included in many source built custom ROMs e.g. CyanogenMod).

Now, as to "ro.secure=1"; this property only affects adbd, the ADB daemon that runs within Android. In other words, this property affects the permissions of ADB. If it is enabled (i.e. =1), adbd runs in "secure" mode, and any commands sent over ADB are run as a "user". If it is disabled (i.e. =0), adbd runs in "insecure" mode and commands sent over ADB are run as "root". This means you can pull system files, push files to protected locations (e.g. /system) etc.

So if you find some way to make it =0 before you've rooted, you can then use ADB to push your su binary to /system/bin and then you're rooted. However, once you're already rooted, there is little benefit to making adbd insecure unless you have an actual use for doing so. It should be 100% unnecessary for all applications (which can identify as root via the su binary), so unless you need to issue root commands over ADB, you should be fine as is.

In summary, don't worry about those properties, they are fine as they are for using root-enabled apps. 

Hyuukai

Hyuukai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I have just bought this device, turned it on and it did an update when i go to find what rom version its runing on updates it just says this device is updated on the about tablet tab it says build number JDQ39.20131016.200812. So i am unsure to root or not yet?

CaptainMidnight

CaptainMidnight

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Hiya, well you could read more of the forum threads / posts to get a better idea................ :wacko:

Just doing a google search on "20131016.200812" is an eye opener ;)

Anyway, you can easily root via the '1-click' kingoapp.com program, enjoy.

Edited by CaptainMidnight, 14 November 2013 - 10:32 AM.

huddled

huddled

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks to this thread I've sucessfully rooted my hudl, probably a bad idea as it's the first android device I've used :blink:

I don't have a linux machine so I downloaded the ABD drivers from here: http://www.mediafire...nloaded folder.

Then run the King App http://www.kingoapp....ot/download.htm

Edited by huddled, 18 November 2013 - 10:38 PM.

revomikey101

revomikey101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Devices:tesco hudl

Sorry, i gave incorrect info and deleted the post....

Edited by revomikey101, 19 November 2013 - 07:16 PM.

Detection

Detection

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Devices:TF101, Tesco Hudl

Just signed up to say cheers, sucessfully rooted my Hudl running the latest firmware using that Chinese generic rooting tool, then installing "SuperSU" from Google Play, which updated itself and uninstalled the Chinese version

Nice and quick, simple root solution

Windows 8.1 Pro x64 was the machine I rooted it with

Edited by Detection, 25 November 2013 - 08:55 PM.

Woodsideapps

Woodsideapps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello all, *first time poster

So apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I have read all the threads and thank you all for your advice and help.

Here is how i rooted my Huddle.

Start position

Win 7 pro 64 bit

Which recognized the Huddle

Huddle upgraded to 1.3? one out of the box and one subsequent.

Firstly un-istalled the USB drivers from the Huddle.

Re-started the PC.

Started ADB USB Driver Installer 1.0

Installed the drivers.

Started kingoapp

Click Root

Installed SuperSu from the playstore.

My Reason for rooting is

To runt root access apps.

It worked for me the main problem was the

USB drivers and getting kingoapp to recognize the Huddle.

If you use this method dont blame me if it goes wrong..

Once again thanks for all the advice.

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,368 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
First post updated, now supporting ROM version 20131016.200812. :)

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

hedgehogabc

hedgehogabc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi, I just wanted to say thank you for all the work and information that users have contributed on this 'How to root your Hudl' thread.

I was able to successfully root my Hudl by installing compatible ADB drivers, then running Kingo, as suggested by 'huddled'.

Paul's method seems even better if you can manage it because it is more pure/transparent (the Kingo app is a bit of a black box).

For reference, my Hudl had a build number of JDQ39.20131016.200812 and was rooted from a Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium edition PC.

The reason I rooted my Hudl was to remove the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen (I've posted another thread on how you can do this).

Many Thanks.

Edited by hedgehogabc, 03 January 2014 - 01:07 AM.

greybot

greybot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Devices:Tesco Hudl

Great thread. I need to root my hudl because I want to install an app that needs root for turning the display off when connected to a tv. I take it the rom will be be updated when tesco update their software? I'm waiting on two updates they said are coming out (the first to fix the touchscreen issue, and secondly the HDMI connection issue). 

THanks

petesx

petesx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:hudl, st27i

Hi Paul,

I've just downloaded hudl.system.withsu.20131016.200812.zip and the md5 checksum is a826b0b702a19804846f7d20423de720 not f895af4991439be522df78ad8cd4ab78 - have you changed the file or could it have been tampered with since you uploaded it?

The 3 files inside the zip produce the following md5 checksums:

83336dcd7c366137cab7c2021b34cd7e *flashroot.hudl.linux.sh
7190f2617bd6a10e2f3ecf2a87de301e *rkflashtool-linux
c6db16a8f5bedb1daab33e2ddbbe8c75 *system.root.img

Thanks for the great work - I just want to make sure it's your work I'm getting and not some black hat's ;-)

Cheers, Pete

CaptainMidnight

CaptainMidnight

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Might be a while before Paul answers. Simple question have you downloaded again and compared?

I'll have a look tonight when I get back unless someone else is being proactive ;o)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users