• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

flurry

flurry

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

for the main zip file I get: f895af4991439be522df78ad8cd4ab78 which seems to match the original md5. For the contents I get:

MD5 (flashroot.hudl.linux.sh) = 83336dcd7c366137cab7c2021b34cd7e
MD5 (rkflashtool-linux) = 7190f2617bd6a10e2f3ecf2a87de301e

MD5 (system.root.img) = c6db16a8f5bedb1daab33e2ddbbe8c75

petesx

petesx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:hudl, st27i

My bad - panic over

# MD5 checksums generated by FreeCommander (http://www.freecommander.com) 26/02/2014 11:34:59

F895AF4991439BE522DF78AD8CD4AB78 *hudl.system.withsu.20131016.200812.zip

I originally used MD5summer v1.1.019 - strange it got the same checksums for contents of the zip but a totally different one for the zip itself? Anyway - apologies for any panic caused and thanks Flurry for double checking.

macjim

macjim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:Tesco Hudl

Hello,

I'm a new member and new to this forum. I am a Mac user and have a Tesco Hudl. I'd like to install Ubuntu Touch onto it when this OS becomes available but it's not yet out. I'd like to prepare by rooting etc but I do not know how to. I see many suggestions in this forum but what I need, and probably a few other forum members, is a clear cut instructional video or list as to what is needed and how to do it. I read at the beginning, Paul O'Brien say he's working on a Mac way, have you got round to it?

Hope you can help me. Thank you.

Cheers, Macjim.

OSX, iOS, & Tesco Hudl.

flurry

flurry

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Hello,

I'm a new member and new to this forum. I am a Mac user and have a Tesco Hudl. I'd like to install Ubuntu Touch onto it when this OS becomes available but it's not yet out. I'd like to prepare by rooting etc but I do not know how to. I see many suggestions in this forum but what I need, and probably a few other forum members, is a clear cut instructional video or list as to what is needed and how to do it. I read at the beginning, Paul O'Brien say he's working on a Mac way, have you got round to it?

Hope you can help me. Thank you.

Hi Macjim,

Being a Mac user too I faced a similar challenge when trying to root my Hudl. I used a ubuntu linux virtual machine running on my Mac to root the hudl successfully by following the linux commands available on this forum. I used Virtualbox and once the hudl was in the flashing mode and plugged into my Mac all I had to do was let the virtual Ubuntu see the hudl, done from the devices menu of the running virtualbox (devices > usb > click the hudl option). It's worth checking you're using the right version of RKflashtool on the virtual machine, I had no luck to start with until I realised I was using the 64 bit variant - the 32 bit version worked first time. I don't think I've been particularly clear or concise here but hopefully it's helped!

macjim

macjim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello, thank you.

Cheers, Macjim.

OSX, iOS, & Tesco Hudl.

Cosman

Cosman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:Hudl Moto G

Hello,this is my first attempt at rooting a Hudl.

Using the method from the first post in the thread,I'm getting this in the terminal

libusbx: error [op_open] open failed, code -1 errno 32
rkflashtool: fatal: cannot open device

Has anybody got any idea what is happening please?

flurry

flurry

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Hello,this is my first attempt at rooting a Hudl.

Using the method from the first post in the thread,I'm getting this in the terminal

libusbx: error [op_open] open failed, code -1 errno 32
rkflashtool: fatal: cannot open device

Has anybody got any idea what is happening please?

I could be wrong but it sounds to me like the hudl isn't in the right flashing mode - are you sure you're pressing the reset hole not the mic hole?

Cosman

Cosman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks for the reply!

Yes it is the reset hole,the one on the back near the volume switch,with gold inside.

I suspected it might be something like that,its not showing up in the file manager tree,or on the desktop or anything?

Followed the instructions carefully,turned it off,connected it to the computer,held the volume up switch and pressed the reset for a second,and kept the volume up switch held for 10 seconds,then a quick press of the power switch to make sure its not in charging mode?

Its doing something as I have real problems turning it on again after trying this.

Could it be a problem with the Hudl,as it does turn itself on sometimes,after its been switched off?  :wacko:

I do hope its not faulty,as its my third one and only had it a few weeks,the first one got so hot charging,it burnt all the case,along with all the other problems,the second one had graphics issues,then froze hard and the Tesco Tech support tried to do a reset with a pin etc. but it did not want to know! 

flurry

flurry

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
If you're having problems turning it on again after booting it to the flashing mode it sounds like you're successfully getting it into the right mode. I wouldn't worry about this unless you're having problems turning it on after turning it off normally.

What OS are you on? It may be more to do with the 'libusbx' part of the error than the 'cannot open device' part. According to the libusbx site (http://libusbx.org/) it's now been merged back to the libusb and advises you should switch to libusb instead. I would explore this next

Cosman

Cosman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Sorry for the late reply,and thanks very much for your help!

At the moment I'm still using Ubuntu 13.04,its on an old laptop I was given that I'm using until I replace my PC that died.

But I will be replacing it with Debian Testing,which I normally use,and only put Ubuntu on it as I was playing around trying different distros at the time.

That should solve the problem.

Thanks again for your help.  :)

flurry

flurry

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

I think I was on ubuntu 13.10 when I rooted my hudl, though I may have also been on 13.04 - as you say, hopefully a fresh install of a distro will fix it.

The other thing that may be worth considering is the usb cable you're connecting with - I initially tried with the cable from my nexus 4 with limited success - the hudl's usb cable seemed to work better for me.

I'd be interested to know if you manage to solve it

Cosman

Cosman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Funny you should mention the usb cable,I use the one that came with my Moto G as the one supplied with the Hudl is a very loose fit on the micro usb end,I did try both,but do not trust the Hudl one to make a safe connection as it is so wobbly! :unsure:  

flurry

flurry

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Once you can see the hudl on your linux system, if you're unsure about the connection try just the read cycle of the script first manually - if the read fails part way it's much less likely to damage anything than the write script failing mid way.

oddly enough, my hudl's micro usb cable is quite tight!

Cosman

Cosman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I'm just downloading a Debian live cd,and will use that rather than this Ubuntu.

At least then I can have another go at rooting before I install it,as that will take a day or so by the time I've updated it to testing,installed Openbox,written the start script,menus etc. etc.

My last cable was ok too,I think Tesco must have found a much cheaper supplier,and are paying under 5p per hundred going by the quality of this one!

Drizz

Drizz

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Ahh I shall be rooting tomorrow. And I too am very interested in trying Ubuntu Touch on the Hudl.

macjim

macjim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello again. I've sold the Hudl and now have a Nexus 7 2013 tablet. I've also bought Windows 8.1 and am going to add a partition on my Mac's hard drive for it so that's got around the lack of Mac support.

Cheers, Macjim.

OSX, iOS, & Tesco Hudl.

trueriver

trueriver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:Note, Acer Z3, Hudl

hi,

I've written a script to automate what Paul did, so that the same script will continue to work until the partition offset and length changes. Original motivation was that neither of the posted roms were compatible with my brand new Hudl.

My script also crashes out gracefully when the partition offest is wrong, minimising the risk of bricking.

It also keeps a copy of the partition before and after the rooting, to allow you to revert to how it was before (maybe if the partitions moved - the data goes back exactly where it came from so this gives the best chance of recovering). The copy of the rooted system will allow you to roll-back at a later date to the point just after rooting.

This has been tested on the latest version of the hudl software, JDQ39.20140424.153851 and works a treat.

It works either before or after the user has turned the hudl on for the first time and filled in all the various info, so you can produce a factory-fresh rooted machine, or just root it in its current state.

Two versions, the lite version installs the su from clockworkmod and leaves you to install your favoured superuser app. In this case the app will not be a system app (unless it has its own internal install method, like for example supersu)

I've chosen the clockworkmod implementation as it is open source, and in my view it is particularly valuable to have open source software when rooting a device, as you don't otherwise know what else the app is doing.

The full version installs the full clockwordmod superuser app as a system app (in the hope that it will thus be more resistant to being uprooted). It does make the download bigger, but neither is anywhere near the size of the full system rom

https://www.dropbox....8vxVsOTXB5F8fza

After unpacking, cd to the resulting directory, and plug in the hudl using the same trick with the reset button and Volume key, then simply ./autoroot ...

...enjoy :)

River~~

Edited by trueriver, 29 June 2014 - 11:08 AM.

cmenon

cmenon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Hudl, Samsung Galaxy Y

hi,

I've written a script to automate what Paul did, so that the same script will continue to work until the partition offset and length changes. Original motivation was that neither of the posted roms were compatible with my brand new Hudl.

My script also crashes out gracefully when the partition offest is wrong, minimising the risk of bricking.

It also keeps a copy of the partition before and after the rooting, to allow you to revert to how it was before (maybe if the partitions moved - the data goes back exactly where it came from so this gives the best chance of recovering). The copy of the rooted system will allow you to roll-back at a later date to the point just after rooting.

This has been tested on the latest version of the hudl software, JDQ39.20140424.153851 and works a treat.

It works either before or after the user has turned the hudl on for the first time and filled in all the various info, so you can produce a factory-fresh rooted machine, or just root it in its current state.

Two versions, the lite version installs the su from clockworkmod and leaves you to install your favoured superuser app. In this case the app will not be a system app (unless it has its own internal install method, like for example supersu)

I've chosen the clockworkmod implementation as it is open source, and in my view it is particularly valuable to have open source software when rooting a device, as you don't otherwise know what else the app is doing.

The full version installs the full clockwordmod superuser app as a system app (in the hope that it will thus be more resistant to being uprooted). It does make the download bigger, but neither is anywhere near the size of the full system rom

https://www.dropbox....8vxVsOTXB5F8fza

After unpacking, cd to the resulting directory, and plug in the hudl using the same trick with the reset button and Volume key, then simply ./autoroot ...

...enjoy :)

River~~

Thanks for the file upload. When you say to input in to the terminal ./autoroot... can you tell me what the rest is? Next, do we unpack the .gz files on the linux system? Finally, do you reckon a Raspberry Pi that also runs on linux would work.

Thanks

me

howellj0nes

howellj0nes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S3, Tesco Hudle
  • Twitter:@howelljones

Is there anyway to run this via windows?

If not could someone give me any help / advice.

Thanks.  :)

ecarter

ecarter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Great work cmenon - really appreciated. I had a rooted Hudl - update it and of course lost the root. Ran your lite version and got root back - although took a while because I had forgotten how long you have to hold the vol and reset pins.

However could not get SuperSU to run - kept wanting to install binary and then ended up in recovery screen and I was wary of selecting anything other that reboot. In the end installed clockwork mod superuser and that worked but also seems to offer root option to SuperSU even though it will not run. Question - can I remove SuperSU and just leave Clockwork - rather reluctant just to do that in case I end up loosing what is now working!

Thanks again :D

Edited by ecarter, 08 August 2014 - 06:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users